• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

todd360

Hey guys I am having issues with my New 3DS.

So i got it opened it set up transfer on the old and then the new one and it started to connect to the internet and failed. Gave an error about not connected to the internet then failed to a black screen. Had to restart. wierd but okay. I started it back up and doubled checked the internet settings and it works fine. Started the transfer again and then it said it needed to install the update.

So I did the system update and it just starts to download it and fails before it finishes with an error. This happened 3 times now. I am not sure what to do at this point. Just failed again to update. 4th time.

Is the memory card OK? Try turning if off and turning it back on. Maybe nintendos servers are getting hammered so update isn't working?

Ellite25

Well I've found my first problem with the N3DS XL, the placement on the power button. In the middle of a game my pinky will accidentally hold it down causing the power down screen to come up, and it kicks me out of the game I'm playing. Horrible button placement.

The system transfer process is needlessly complicated and Nintendo deserves to be called out on it as much as possible. Their entire account system is a travesty and they need to get their act together. Even though mine ended up going smoothly, it was really drawn out and frustrating. I can see a lot of people being turned off by it.

The system itself is wonderful though. The better 3D and screen quality is really nice, it definitely feels like a substantial upgrade. MH4U is glorious on it! I've been trying all my old games out and they feel new again (although that's also a comment on how shitty the screen was on the old XL). The only thing I don't like is the glossy finish, but that's minor. I'm really happy I upgraded, but I don't want to do a system transfer again, ever.

Red XLs for life!

RZbnc9rl.jpg

Hawk269

I was worried about this too as I had a 64gig card in my 3ds. Got a 64gig micro earlier today and finished the transfer to the new 3ds a few hours ago.

It all works fine the only minor hiccup was having to reformat the micro to fat32 to be recognized.

I too am loving the 3D effect, didn't expect it to improve the whole experience so much. Space Harrier, super hang-on and Starfox were good test subjects.

So is the new 3ds reading the SD card as 64gb? I just checked Nintendo site and they say that the new 3ds can use SD cards up to 32gb. I just want to make sure before I open it.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQyMzg4MzU4Ny9zaWQvQUxTaC1YZW0=
The New Nintendo 3DS XL system comes with a 4GB microSDHC card for game save data and downloadable software.

If you wish to upgrade your microSDHC card, the following storage devices work with the New Nintendo 3DS XL system. The New Nintendo 3DS XL system can utilize up to a 2GB microSD card and up to a 32GB microSDHC card. The following devices have been subjected to basic performance tests by Nintendo:
•SanDisk Extreme microSDHC ◦16GB: SDSDQXL-016G-A46A
◦32GB: SDSDQXL-032G-A46A

•SanDisk Extreme PLUS microSDHC ◦16GB: SDSDQX-016G-A46A
◦32GB: SDSDQX-032G-A46A

•SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDHC ◦16GB: SDSDQXP-016G-A46A
◦32GB: SDSDQXP-032G-A46A

•Toshiba microSDHC ◦8GB: PFM008U-1DCK

Thanks!

The system transfer process is needlessly complicated and Nintendo deserves to be called out on it as much as possible. Their entire account system is a travesty and they need to get their act together. Even though mine ended up going smoothly, it was really drawn out and frustrating. I can see a lot of people being turned off by it.

The system itself is wonderful though. The better 3D and screen quality is really nice, it definitely feels like a substantial upgrade. MH4U is glorious on it! I've been trying all my old games out and they feel new again (although that's also a comment on how shitty the screen was on the old XL). The only thing I don't like is the glossy finish, but that's minor. I'm really happy I upgraded, but I don't want to do a system transfer again, ever.
I thought the screens were the same though?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Transfer system isn't reliable and slow as fuck. Why I can't just login to my system with my account and have access to everything there in 2015 is beyond me.

I had to restart my transfer 3 times and the last time took a few hours for completion. At least it's out of the way now though...too bad the game I ordered didn't arrive...

co1onel

anyone run into a N3DS XL with dead or stuck pixels yet? It's the #1 worry anytime I buy a new portable system

I have the worst luck with this. My new 3dsxl has three stuck pixels, and I didn't even notice till after I transferred and started playing mh4u. Not sure what I'm gonna do now.

Bog

Junior Ace
Is the hinge a little wobbly? Like when it's open, if you shake it a little, does the top screen wobble?

Durden77

Man, I'm still doing the transfer, but just seeing the system level stuff with the new 3D has got me so excited. I've always really enjoyed the 3D on the system and would use it whenever possible, but obviously it was less than ideal in certain situations. This was the main reason why I bought this new one, and I have to say so far I'm very impressed.I'm excited to play through my catalog again on this, and seeing the 3D much more naturally and, as Iwata said, most likely originally intended.

Any word on whether the 3D itself is actually better balanced, not just from a head position perspective? I remember whenever I would be in an area in a game that had a lot of black, it was easy for the image to start breaking into doubles. For instance, flying through a cave in Pilotwings or something like that. If that's fixed too I'm going to be so happy.

I have. 3 of the god damn things. I only realized after the system transfer too, which is the worst part. Now I have a wonderful return/in store transfer adventure waiting for me next friday.

I have the worst luck with this. My new 3dsxl has three stuck pixels, and I didn't even notice till after I transferred and started playing mh4u. Not sure what I'm gonna do now.

Now kiss?

I had a dead pixel in my OG XL, but it never really bothered me much and I usually neer noticed it.
Checked my N3DS pretty thoroughly just to be sure

Is the hinge a little wobbly? Like when it's open, if you shake it a little, does the top screen wobble?
Yes, it annoys me a bit but it looks like that's how 3DS's are made.

Only fix is to put a rubber bit in between the top screen and hinge or to send it back to Nintendo.

DirtyLarry

Any word on whether the 3D itself is actually better balanced, not just from a head position perspective? I remember whenever I would be in an area in a game that had a lot of black, it was easy for the image to start breaking into doubles. For instance, flying through a cave in Pilotwings or something like that. If that's fixed too I'm going to be so happy.
The 3D is just so, so much better on all levels. I actually used it the entire time I played MM before, and I never did that on the older model. Never.

Ludovico

I have a 64gb micro-sd, but am struggling to find a utility to format it to fat32 (not an option on windows 8).
Looking for the HP utility, and I get all kinds of shady sites forcing me to use their downloaders just to get the program.

Could anyone kindly point me to where I can format my card?

edit:
http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3001-2094_4-10974082.html?hlndr=1

Looks like I just have to run as administrator. File size is suspiciously small, but it's legit.

mjc

Some of you guys weren't kidding, it's kind of frightening to get the back cover off the N3DS to get at the MicroSD. I thought I was gonna crack the damn thing.

Damn was that nervewracking to get the back plate off, thought I was going to break the damn thing.

The screen's color is so much better than the ALBW Zelda I have, the brushed gray on the exterior is better than I thought it would be.

TBH it's honestly easier for me to grip the new one with its paint than the old style XL, always had issues gripping the matte on those.

Still getting used to the new stylus location, still used to getting it from the side.

Exile20

Is the memory card OK? Try turning if off and turning it back on. Maybe nintendos servers are getting hammered so update isn't working?

Did all of that. The good thing is that it continues from where it left off. so after a few times it finished. I did change my DNS and put on 3ds on DMZ. So maybe that helped too.

I have a comcast router and searching online shows that there is an issue with router firewalls. I hope my 3ds isn't defective.

Cloudy

Banned
As a hardcore vita player, this thing is kind of heavy. I really hope they ditch the dual screen for their next handheld. Huge waste of real estate IMO

Mob

Is the volume suppose to be hard to adjust? I have to use force just to move it.

It has an off position at the bottom, moving between off and on I have a little resistance but just sliding the volume up and down is quite smooth with no force required on mine.

It's the same as the 3D slider for me.

Mob

N3DSXL with semi thin cases like clear hori won't fit in the cradles right?

I'm waiting for my clear case to arrive so I haven't tried it myself but I've seen others post that the clear cases stop the XL sitting in the charge cradle.

So is the new 3ds reading the SD card as 64gb? I just checked Nintendo site and they say that the new 3ds can use SD cards up to 32gb. I just want to make sure before I open it.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQyMzg4MzU4Ny9zaWQvQUxTaC1YZW0=
The New Nintendo 3DS XL system comes with a 4GB microSDHC card for game save data and downloadable software.

If you wish to upgrade your microSDHC card, the following storage devices work with the New Nintendo 3DS XL system. The New Nintendo 3DS XL system can utilize up to a 2GB microSD card and up to a 32GB microSDHC card. The following devices have been subjected to basic performance tests by Nintendo:
•SanDisk Extreme microSDHC ◦16GB: SDSDQXL-016G-A46A
◦32GB: SDSDQXL-032G-A46A

•SanDisk Extreme PLUS microSDHC ◦16GB: SDSDQX-016G-A46A
◦32GB: SDSDQX-032G-A46A

•SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDHC ◦16GB: SDSDQXP-016G-A46A
◦32GB: SDSDQXP-032G-A46A

•Toshiba microSDHC ◦8GB: PFM008U-1DCK

Thanks!

I'm quite sure it's giving me the whole 64gb. I was nearing 50% full and new 3DS software management shows 257,549 blocks free.

It has an off position at the bottom, moving between off and on I have a little resistance but just sliding the volume up and down is quite smooth with no force required on mine.

It's the same as the 3D slider for me.
I guess I have to just move the slider to loosen it up a bit? I can barely move it if I don't apply some force on it. Just when I thought mine was perfect.

Ryhian

I'm waiting for my clear case to arrive so I haven't tried it myself but I've seen others post that the clear cases stop the XL sitting in the charge cradle.

Thanks! That's what I thought I read with O3DSXL so figured it would be same with new one.

RetroMG

Is there a way to stop a wireless system transfer? My system has been at this for hours. If I shut off the wireless, will I screw up the ID transfer?

EDIT: To be clear, I mean the transfer of data from one to another. I chose to do it wirelessly between systems - Is there a way to go back and just do it through my computer?

Yes, but it is much less than the old 3DS XL. With the face-tracking 3D, though, the wobble should no longer be a worry. I've been able to play with my new 3DS XL in my bed without issue, unlike the older version. :)

Is there a way to stop a wireless system transfer? My system has been at this for hours. If I shut off the wireless, will I screw up the ID transfer?

EDIT: To be clear, I mean the transfer of data from one to another. I chose to do it wirelessly between systems - Is there a way to go back and just do it through my computer?

It's possible to lose data at this point, yes... You must have a lot of downloaded games on your card! >.>

You dun fucked up man.

Is the volume suppose to be hard to adjust? I have to use force just to move it.

Might need to loosen it up with use over time. Otherwise might be a slight defect. My New 3DS has a little piece of hair/dust stuck underneath the front-facing camera lens. No way to get it out without taking it apart. :O

suikodan

Got my MM n3DSXL today. Very happy so far.

1- Did the transfer between my3DSXL and the n3DSXL. Chose the PC option so I copied data from my SD card to the microSD. Had 14Gb of data. Took a while but everything is there.

2- The UI is much faster, wow! I really appreciate that.

3- I read that the n3DSXL would work on the 3DSXL recharge cradle but I tried and it doesn't seem to fit. Did I read wrong?

Great system so far. I'm waiting for tomorrow morning to start ZeldaMM with my kids and I'm really looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles in April.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Does anyone else hate the stylus location and the fact that the touch screen isn't very responsive with your finger?

Does anyone else hate the stylus location and the fact that the touch screen isn't very responsive with your finger?

I know!! I wish the engineers kept it on the side, but it could be for the fact that the battery is now user-replaceable.

My hands are large, too, so the smaller stylus isn't doing me any favors. I'm hoping some 3rd party manufacturer can make a telescoping stylus for the New 3DS, just like the original 3DS. :D

Top Bottom