• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Taking forever to charge, the orange light has been on since before 10. Using a charger I bought off of Amazon. So either the charge cable doesn't work correct or the system just takes forever to charge.

Or the orange light just doesn't come off?

We probably bought the same usb cable, around 5 to 6 bucks... Mine too like 4 to 6 hours to charge... The light eventually goes off... Hoping thats just the initial charge.

Condom

The note option for games is awesome, didn't know the 3DS had that.

Oh and I had problems with an USB cable too so I bought a Nintendo charger. Maybe to deliberate nerving of 3rd party adapters? Vita uses USB just fine.

Canon

Banned
I never put my 3ds in 3D(Because of issues with eye straining) but if I wanted to check, how can I check to see if I do have a dead pixel, what would I be looking for
Since I have the limited-edition Majora's Mask New 3DS XL, I doubt Nintendo would replace it with the same model if it had a dead pixel. I haven't noticed any so far though.

I do have like 5 red pixels on my new monitor though, 1 on my Nexus 7, and when I had a Sony TV it had over 3 each time I returned it. You find them by looking at a white background, or black background. If it's a black pixel it's dead, if it's colored it's stuck and you have a 1% chance of reviving it through flashing colors on it or massaging the screen.

GamerJM

Banned
Is anyone having issues with the cstick not being able to be pressed down, or any other direction reliably?

We got 2 n3ds' today and one of them started having problems moving the camera down in MH4 with the cstick.
We've tried the in game calibratuon and you really have to pull that cstick down with a fingernail to have it register.

Could it be that it's just new and stiff or could it possibly be defective?

I'm still system transferring (lol), but the stick on mine feels, like, really stiff. I haven't actually used it in a game yet but I am a bit worried.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
We probably bought the same usb cable, around 5 to 6 bucks... Mine too like 4 to 6 hours to charge... The light eventually goes off... Hoping thats just the initial charge.

Finally finished charging, was charging from around 9:52 to 1:18 am. That's almost as bad if not worse than how long to takes the Vita to charge.

Guess I should take the WiFi off when I'm not using it, 3d was already off, came nearly fully charged.

Vibranium

Banned
I like my New XL just great, no problems, though the loose dpad is an interesting design choice by Nintendo. As I understand though, it's something that has been present in all newer models so I can live with it.

CRA5H

Removing that damn backplate for the micro SD replacement was terrifying.
Then when I finally got it and was installing the new SD card, I noticed that the damn thing was on!! I swear I hit "Power off"

Luckily everything seems to be fine but it scared the crap out of me.

I also applied hori screen protectors. Touchscreen applied no problem but the top one had just a single speck of dust. I thought it would be fine but one thing you'll notice is that if you have dust under your applied screen protector, the 3D effect will make it look as if that dust particle actually has depth and gives it a 3D effect as well.

I ended up removing the top screen protector all together as it was way too distracting. I actually dont think I'll even need one for the top display anyways. It will never be touched and if it were to drop, it will be closed anyway.

prateeko

My old 3DS XL had similar temperature for both displays but the new 3SS XL is noticeably yellow on the top. Not drastic but even at mex brightness I can see a diff, especially if I pull up a game manual. Is this normal or will I find a more consistent temperature between screens in a different unit?

Zing

Banned
20 minutes backing up my 32gb SD card to the laptop earlier.
20 minutes copying all of those files directly to the newly formatted 64gb card.

Pop the 64 the original 3DS to make sure everything's alright - NOTHING.
Card works and shows up, and I was able to download a game to it, but all the original software isn't showing up.

Root of card: Nintendo 3DS
Exact copy of the original folder.
3DS does not support exfat. Did you format the card as FAT32? FAT32 is not intended for partitions greater than 32GB for performance reasons, so the card will come as exfat, and format as exfat by default.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sooo just got back in, decided to run by gamestop before a showing of Kingsman to do the $100 credit return. That almost turned out to be a mistake. Although I gave myself a full hour buffer before the film to settle the return, the actual return took about 30 minutes because the cashier did not know what to do and had to make a bunch of phone calls.

meanwhile, there was another customer in the store who was basically doing the same thing as me on a new black 3ds xl... EXCEPT he was doing a wireless transfer at the store. He was only 25% done and the store was closing in an hour. I am really doubting that he was able to finish the transfer. What a nightmare... dude should have done his research WAY better. *shakes head*

I was talking to the dude doing his transfer and after inquiring what 3ds model he bought I mentioned I had the zelda one... and immediately everyone wanted to see it, ended up showing it off quite a bit.

She tried three times to get me to do a store credit refund instead of a refund to my credit card. But I wasn't having any of that.

Anyway it's finally done now. >.<

The red n3DS XL is so, so nice. I'm really glad I didn't even try for the limited editions because it look like they caused some folks quite a bit of stress. Also glad I got a $6 screwdriver kit from Amazon because I tried like 4 different ones to get that damned SD card in there.

ryushe

The time it took to transfer my data, games, etc. took such a short time, I really thought I did something wrong, which would be no surprise given how ass backwards Nintendo's instructions are on the whole thing. I was really scared for a moment, not so much for my games, but for all my puzzles pieces and Streetpass data. :p Everything worked out though, so I'm glad.

Ecto311

There a recommendation thread for the 3ds or eshop games? Looking at moon chronicles and not sure if it's goodor not.

Xerotwo

Ok, so I've almost decided to do a system transfer from my old 3ds XL to the N3DS XL.

I'm also ordering a 16 GB micro SD card to replace the 4GB micro SD.

Should I resort to transfer via PC if the time comes? Will my pre-installed MH4 still be eligible to be redownloaded if available?

Prototype

Ok, WTF is going on. 2nd time this happened.

I'm just playing and all of a sudden the system tells me about sleep mode. When I exit out of the message I'm back at the home screen and my game is closed.

1 time was annoying, but now it's pissing me off. What's going on?

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Removing that damn backplate for the micro SD replacement was terrifying.
Then when I finally got it and was installing the new SD card, I noticed that the damn thing was on!! I swear I hit "Power off"

Luckily everything seems to be fine but it scared the crap out of me.

I also applied hori screen protectors. Touchscreen applied no problem but the top one had just a single speck of dust. I thought it would be fine but one thing you'll notice is that if you have dust under your applied screen protector, the 3D effect will make it look as if that dust particle actually has depth and gives it a 3D effect as well.

I ended up removing the top screen protector all together as it was way too distracting. I actually dont think I'll even need one for the top display anyways. It will never be touched and if it were to drop, it will be closed anyway.

I was shocked that it was on when I was unscrewing the back and removing the plate, but I kept going.

If my system transfer errored out mid transfer and now half the stuff on my original 3ds is no longer there do I just restart it over again? Just want to make sure so I don't lose any of my stuff that I don't do something wrong.

Gah Best Buy. Where is it?

I'm going to miss that sale for SMT4 at this rate.

Crud.

They delivered Majora's Mask today, so I don't know if the incompetence is Best Buy's or Nintendo's.

melos

Ugh....I'm still getting the faint double images in 3D against dark backgrounds. It's all over the place in the Majora's Mask intro.

The head tracking is wonderful, but I was really hoping they would've tweaked the 3D itself to fix these problems.

Same here. Getting it a fair amount in MH4 in certain areas with the 3d turned up any higher than the bare minimum. A little disappointed by this. Anyone know if the manual calibration in the Stable 3D Settings can help remedy this?

Same here. Getting it a fair amount in MH4 in certain areas with the 3d turned up any higher than the bare minimum. A little disappointed by this. Anyone know if the manual calibration in the Stable 3D Settings can help remedy this?

Have you or anyone else tried Star Fox 64 3D on the New 3DS XL? Got Damn that is one beautiful game and it looks better than ever. There is some ghosting in that game too sadly, but I noticed it when I held the screen a little too far away from my eyes and when tilting it up and down a bit, but in Monster Hunter 4 U it looks perfect so go figure....

soccergod

Banned
will the charger for the wii u gamepad work on the N3ds? Its the same connector so unless theres a voltage/current issue it should right?

Teknoman

Well now that its out, i'm sure this has been answered but:

If i'm already using a 32GB microSD+adapter on my current 3DSXL, the transfer wont make me try to transfer SD contents over when asked correct? Thats why they ask if you're using a microSD already?

Tyeforce

Can anyone who has done the all data wireless system transfer option confirm a few things?

For one, does it really transfer absolutely EVERYTHING? Including StreetPass Puzzle Swap panels, downloaded demos, etc.?

Also, if you transfer this way, can you use your old SD card still on the new system? Like, if for whatever reason something messed up and not all my data made it over to the microSD card in the New 3DS XL, could I still manually transfer my data from the old SD card to the microSD card and will it still work with the New 3DS XL?

I ask these things because my SD card is messed up somehow. It has been for a few years now. I don't know what exactly is wrong, but for whatever reason I can't manually back up my SD card and transfer it to a new SD card, whether it's for a system transfer or just moving to a new SD card. The only way I can make it work is if I clone an image of my SD card and inject that into a new card in a very specific way. I don't even fully understand the process, since my husband's been doing it for me every time I've needed to switch SD cards.

Anyway, even though I have over 20 GB of data on my SD card to transfer, I kind of want to try transferring all data via wireless now that that's an option in case it might fix whatever's wrong with my SD card. The inability to copy data to a new card normally isn't the only issue. There are a few other unexplained issues I've been having, like my menu theme being reset whenever I restart my system and StreetPass data being corrupted for a specific game, which I can only assume is related to whatever's wrong with my SD card, so if having the 3DS transfer the files itself might fix it, that's what I'd like to do.

But I don't want to do it at the cost of loosing any kind of data. I want absolutely everything to be intact. So I'd like to have a backup of my SD card (through the complex method that I have to go through due to my issue) that I can fall back on in the event that something goes wrong with the wireless transfer or some data just doesn't transfer for whatever reason, but I'm not even sure if it would work.

I know this is a pretty confusing situation, but if anyone can answer these questions, I'd appreciate it a ton!!

Well now that its out, i'm sure this has been answered but:

If i'm already using a 32GB microSD+adapter on my current 3DSXL, the transfer wont make me try to transfer SD contents over when asked correct? Thats why they ask if you're using a microSD already?
Right. It will copy any DSiware to your SD but then you are good to plug it right into the new system. Just make sure you read everything carefully. It asks if you are using an SD or miniSD. Say no to indicate you're using a micro.

Ok, WTF is going on. 2nd time this happened.

I'm just playing and all of a sudden the system tells me about sleep mode. When I exit out of the message I'm back at the home screen and my game is closed.

1 time was annoying, but now it's pissing me off. What's going on?
Sounds like you are accidentally pressing the power button. Might be my biggest gripe with the new systems, seems way to easy to hit it on accident.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I won't get my New 3DS MH4 LE until Monday. GameStop didn't think to ship it out in time so I'd get it on release. Ridiculous that they charge so much for shipping.

So how is the new 3D aided by the facetracking? Is it easy to keep the 3D view in focus when moving your head and eyes In comparison to the regular 3DS?

My local Gamestop are fucking bastards. I had everything set up to do the MicroSD transfer, and only briefly needed their wifi to transfer licenses. The New 3DS XL needed to system update to receive a transfer, and it looked like it was going to take a while to get the update. I asked if I could leave it there and have them leave the system alone so I could take care of the system transfer after getting some lunch with my friend, and they said it was fine and put it to the side, out of sight/reach.

When my friend and I came back, I learned that the employee had disregarded my request that he leave my goddamned new system alone and had tried to carry out the transfer himself. He tried to fit nearly 32GB worth of shit onto the target system's stock 4GB card. Long story short? I lost many saves, and everything has to be redownloaded. My up-to-post-game Fantasy Life save is gone!

paAAyWn.jpg

I've got over a 1000 hours of overall gametime migrating from my previous system, and while my licenses are intact, my freaking saves! I'm going to continue discovering what games I've lost all my data for as I continue redownloading things, and it's going to continue to suck.

I just wanted a New 3DS XL and to take advantage of their $100 off trade in launch offer. I wasn't expecting the employee to muck around with my shit without a clue and without my consent. When I pointed out that he'd deleted all my saves and I'd asked him not to mess with it, he immediately and aggressively jumped to the defense and told me that it was my fault for leaving it there. He didn't apologize for fucking with my hardware without consent, and kept trying to assert stupid male dominance and blame me. He bullied me until I left, and his other coworkers didn't stop him. For reference, I was using this guide I found linked in another thread and had already copied everything to a MicroSD card equal to the SD card that used to reside in my 3DS XL. Had my #00 Phillips and everything. I was ready for the best, cleanest, transplant transfer...

~shudders~ I filled out the survey thingie. I'm never going to that store again. It was extremely disrespectful, and the launch I'd been looking forward to all month got soured by that asshole overstepping his boundaries, deleting my saves and who knows what other consequences I'll have from it. Him getting all defensive and angrily blaming me instead of holding himself accountable for fucking up was just the icing on the cake. Fuck that noise.

Kolma

I won't get my New 3DS MH4 LE until Monday. GameStop didn't think to ship it out in time so I'd get it on release. Ridiculous that they charge so much for shipping.

So how is the new 3D aided by the facetracking? Is it easy to keep the 3D view in focus when moving your head and eyes In comparison to the regular 3DS?

It works so well... both left and right AND a bit of up/down tilt (no sliding up/down/left/right though)

You have to go in knowing it works 100% to not be the slightest bit impressed by how well it actually works

Kolma

My local Gamestop are fucking bastards. I had everything set up to do the MicroSD transfer, and only briefly needed their wifi to transfer licenses. The New 3DS XL needed to system update to receive a transfer, and it looked like it was going to take a while to get the update. I asked if I could leave it there and have them leave the system alone so I could take care of the system transfer after getting some lunch with my friend, and they said it was fine and put it to the side, out of sight/reach.

When my friend and I came back, I learned that the employee had disregarded my request that he leave my goddamned new system alone and had tried to carry out the transfer himself. He tried to fit nearly 32GB worth of shit onto the target system's stock 4GB card. Long story short? I lost many saves, and everything has to be redownloaded. My up-to-post-game Fantasy Life save is gone!

paAAyWn.jpg

I've got over a 1000 hours of overall gametime migrating from my previous system, and while my licenses are intact, my freaking saves! I'm going to continue discovering what games I've lost all my data for as I continue redownloading things, and it's going to continue to suck.

I just wanted a New 3DS XL and to take advantage of their $100 off trade in launch offer. I wasn't expecting the employee to muck around with my shit without a clue and without my consent. When I pointed out that he'd deleted all my saves and I'd asked him not to mess with it, he immediately and aggressively jumped to the defense and told me that it was my fault for leaving it there. He didn't apologize for fucking with my hardware without consent, and kept trying to assert stupid male dominance and blame me. He bullied me until I left, and his other coworkers didn't stop him. For reference, I was using this guide I found linked in another thread and had already copied everything to a MicroSD card equal to the SD card that used to reside in my 3DS XL. Had my #00 Phillips and everything. I was ready for the best, cleanest, transplant transfer...

~shudders~ I filled out the survey thingie. I'm never going to that store again. It was extremely disrespectful, and the launch I'd been looking forward to all month got soured by that asshole overstepping his boundaries, deleting my saves and who knows what other consequences I'll have from it. Him getting all defensive and angrily blaming me instead of holding himself accountable for fucking up was just the icing on the cake. Fuck that noise.

Have you tried moving that backed up micro SD over?

Derpyduck

Banned
While I wait for Nintendo to move my Nintendo ID from an old piece of hardware to my new one, is it OK to create a new ID on my 3DS in order to download some demos? God I hate Nintendo's account system so much.

MicH

While I wait for Nintendo to move my Nintendo ID from an old piece of hardware to my new one, is it OK to create a new ID on my 3DS in order to download some demos? God I hate Nintendo's account system so much.
You should ask Nintendo if that's ok, but you can download stuff without linking an NNID

Top Bottom