• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Offical APF 2k8 Xbox 360 League Thread: Here comes the rain again!

there are some things i would like to say before i get into the spunk and potatoes of this thread. here they are in numberical order:

1. i don't care if this thread is a few days early.
2. please don't bash the game in this thread unless it's related to league play.
3. please don't bash the lack of any given feature in this thread. there is already a thread for that.
4. please don't bring up John Madden Football in this thread.

thanks guys i knew you'd understand. now, here is what's happening:

I. There are supported online leagues for this game! No manual stat entering or me paying $30 to run the league!

II. your "team" in the league will be the one you create offline. In other words, you create a team from the get-go and then import it into all modes (whether you are playing single player mode or decide to join an online league!) This leads to a problem: duplicate players. There is no way in yeast infection that i'm playing in a league with 10 steve young's! he's mine and only mine. but I have a work around for this problem (more on that later!)

III. This is a sim league that will be run exactly as the NFL is run. 16 weeks, same playoff format (pending # of players in the league). What does this mean to you? It means we're probably going to have some rule about 1 hall of famer per team. or maybe 1 "great" hall of famer, and a couple mid rangers. We'll see about that!

IV. Because we can't have duplicate players, we must be creative. Now, what we will do is have our own "fantasy" draft here on gaf! For instance, we can all meet on AIM and form a chat room, or IRC, or wherever, and pick teams that way. I know this is a pain, but i'd like to hear of any better ideas. If you're going to play in this league you need to be available for the fantasy draft! I will try to make it on a sunday when most people have the day off. If you are not available ill draft for you.

V. Keep in mind this is a decent sized commitment. For instance, you'll likely have 3-5 days to play each "week". You need to be available to play. we all have 8-5 jobs m-f (at least i do!) so i know it's not easy, but if you just make the effort others will too and there will be minimal problems. if you aren't serious about being in the league then **** off and play random douchebags in exhibition. the league is not only because leagues are interesting, but also because you will be able to play against sim players each week.

VI. How will I determine draft order? Literally drawing names out of a hat. don't bitch. Your draft order will not only include the players you draft, but also the City and team name you get. for bigger cities, such as los angeles or new york, i don't mind having 2 teams.

VII. you may have to "create" some of the "legends" on your team (using create a player as a bronze legend) depending on the # of players we end up having.

Post now if you want in. If you do not post, how will I know you are still game?
------

1. FMT
2. DMczaf
3. Conex
4. AkaBalla
5. Coldblooded
6. zep
7. truelize
8. vumpler
9. Rors
10. jube3
11. chrisjames
12. livewire
13. lonestar*
14. speculawyer
15. mrbob
16. shawnhann
17. bluemax
18. sableholic
19. duce22
20. andokuky
21. birdbomb
22. pheeniks
23. bonsevan
24. ramirez
25. gcquinton
26. Cerebral Palsy
27. malleymal*
28. dammitmatt
29. maverick
30. bluemax

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
200px-RandallC.jpg

Mines.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ColdBlooded33 said:

What the?

How many time do I have to tell you man? HOW MANY? :p

I'm in, if the 2k netcode will let me play. I've had no luck this week with either NBA2k7 or The Darkness. I'll be getting the game for sure though so count me in.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Vump is always down bitches! You couldn't get rid of me if you wanted to!

Jube3

If theres room I would love to get in on this, I didnt sign up for the last list because there was already like 35 names on it. But if you have room Im down for 3-4 games a week. Gamertag is Ayo Jube.

Rorschach

Is the league draft available online or only through the console like in NBA2k8? If you guys do it on the Sunday following release, that would be the day before I get my tree siddy so I would be able to play depending on that. I figured you guys would pick it up and draft a couple of days after it came out.

vumpler

Rorschach said:
Is the league draft available online or only through the console like in NBA2k8? If you guys do it on Sunday, that would be the day before I get my tree siddy so I would be able to play depending on that. I figured you guys would pick it up and draft a couple of days after it came out.
:lol Rors you're killing me. He said we're doing it on AIM or mIRC lol. So that means not ingame. Like FMT said you build your team Offline and then it uploads it online.

rors, unfortunately we have to do the fantasy draft ourselves :(

but if you are getting your 360 back on the following sunday we would love to have you in the league! i will put you down since it WILL be that following sunday.

jube, are you sure you want to play? realize that if you flake you will be permabanned from gaf (maybe!)

Rorschach

vumpler said:
:lol Rors you're killing me. He said we're doing it on AIM or mIRC lol. So that means not ingame. Like FMT said you build your team Offline and then it uploads it online.
I don't pay attention to games when my xbox is dead!!!!

Ok I'm in :p
FrenchMovieTheme said:
rors, unfortunately we have to do the fantasy draft ourselves :(

but if you are getting your 360 back on the following sunday we would love to have you in the league! i will put you down since it WILL be that following sunday.

jube, are you sure you want to play? realize that if you flake you will be permabanned from gaf (maybe!)
I'm getting it monday, but yeah...since it's on irc, I'm in like flint.

Jube3

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Yea I'm definitely down, 16 weeks 1 game a week or are we doing more?

Jube3

Sounds good, I know we cant edit stats but is there a rule against renaming the random players that get placed on my team?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
CURSE YOU MS CURSE YOU!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ok, I'm going to be in, IF I can find it in a blockbuster or use one of those long term rental things...and hook up my 360 and have it work in the new house, on the new cable. Beyond that, no problem!

AkaBalla

I'm not sure if anyone knew this but when you create your players (I think your able to create 8) Gold players you are allowed to pick 3 attributes, Silver = 2 and Bronze = 1... Just an FYI..

Edit: So should we try to Create Bo Jackson or just let owners make there own named player with there gold pick? Silver or Bronze picks? I think that would work out since there wont be any duplicates.......

hgplayer1

speculawyer said:
I'm in if there is room for me. I'm not a big sports guy, so I'll be the punching bag.

The latest gamespot demo shows some pretty darn good animations.

damn there should be more of these types of interviews at gaming web sites. does GS do a lot of these? I dont know what it was but I enjoyed the heck out of listening to the guys from 2k talk and watching game footage while the interview went on and the host actually wasnt annoying! now Ive seen some interviews at GS but I dont think I ever found them that enjoyable to watch. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the 2k guys seemed really happy about their product. I dunno but great interview!

back on topic. I will most likely be buying this game now due in large part to watching that interview.

I dont plan on participating in the league as a full time player but if anyone ever needs me to fill in or something Id be glad to do that.

AkaBalla

U wont be able to on every play.. U probably will be able to use that feature 4 times in agame while your Joe Montana.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
If i have a 360 before the league starts then I am in....

if not then I will fill in for one of the flakes when Mr.Sparkle becomes available.

LiveWire

FMT, when are you doing the draft lottery? It would be nice knowing that I have the #1 draft pick on my way to pick up the game from Best Buy tomorrow during my lunch break. :D

vumpler

Cerebral Palsy said:
I've got dibs on Derrick Thomas and Joe Montana
In your dreams sister :lol

Anway I would like the lottery to be done asap too fmt :) Maybe today? I know the league isn't full but even so, we can still have numbers so have like a blank 28-30 in there and then when you do the lottery wherever they show up is where they draft from. If no one comes in time for the actual draft then auto pick for them.

vumpler said:
In your dreams sister :lol

Anway I would like the lottery to be done asap too fmt :) Maybe today? I know the league isn't full but even so, we can still have numbers so have like a blank 28-30 in there and then when you do the lottery wherever they show up is where they draft from. If no one comes in time for the actual draft then auto pick for them.

What time are you going to blockbuster tomorrow? Also yea I'd love to get the lottery done as well. That way I can build my team and play with them before the league. However, it probably is hard getting everyone available as FMT mentioned in the op.

FMT...I'm in...as long as you're doing an NCAA league, too!!!!!

i don't think i'm doing an NCAA league. only if there is enough demand!

also, i will be doing the order of the picks probably tomorrow. the draft itself IS NEXT SUNDAY, 7/22/07! if you are not there, then your team will be picked FOR you.... by me! so be there unless you want a Gold Kicker as your first round pick! :D

vumpler

Hey FMT can you get on aim? I have a huge way to help us with the draft :)

Also as far as getting 2k8 from blockbuster. I talked to about 5 stores today and it turns out its up to UPS when each store gets their games. Apparently "most" blockbusters get new games on Fridays. However the one locally says they will have it tomorrow by 11 on the shelf.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't think i'm doing an NCAA league. only if there is enough demand!

also, i will be doing the order of the picks probably tomorrow. the draft itself IS NEXT SUNDAY, 7/22/07! if you are not there, then your team will be picked FOR you.... by me! so be there unless you want a Gold Kicker as your first round pick! :D

What time Sunday?

hgplayer1 said:
damn there should be more of these types of interviews at gaming web sites. does GS do a lot of these? I dont know what it was but I enjoyed the heck out of listening to the guys from 2k talk and watching game footage while the interview went on and the host actually wasnt annoying! now Ive seen some interviews at GS but I dont think I ever found them that enjoyable to watch. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the 2k guys seemed really happy about their product. I dunno but great interview!

GS seems to have a lot of them . . . they are a pretty nice way to see game play and hear from the developers. They have a nice one for NHL 2K8.

Top Bottom