• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Paper Mario Interview (Leaving pure RPG to M&L, TTYD remaster is possible & more)

R0ckman

A reddit user took to Japanese twitter and apparently they almost align with the western feelings, the user said that they were oddly straightfoward with their dissatisfaction towards the company twitter account, which says a lot.

Almost no positive comments out of the ones the guy translates. No apologetic comments, most that are nuetral are a bit worried that it seems similar to sticker star. This HAD to be a "fool me once" situation. This title is ****ing doomed.

I feel like the devs went insane, that instagram image with the Toad just seemed "off". How could the countless Toad spam be fun?

How fucking ironic would it be if they released a TTYD remaster and it sold more than Sticker Star and Color Splash, lol. Maybe they'd finally get the fucking message.

A reddit user took to Japanese twitter and apparently they almost align with the western feelings, the user said that they were oddly straightfoward with their dissatisfaction towards the company twitter account, which says a lot.

Almost no positive comments out of the ones the guy translates. No apologetic comments, most that are nuetral are a bit worried that it seems similar to sticker star. This HAD to be a "fool me once" situation. This title is ****ing doomed.

I feel like the devs went insane, that instagram image with the Toad just seemed "off". How could the countless Toad spam be fun?

Miyamoto said "no original designs". It gave out Sticker Star. They decided to make Sticker Star 2. That's about it.

Since this is the team's second game, I doubt they were given any restrictions this time. It's just that the philosophy of SS was carried over to CS, with little care for fan feedback since they started development as soon as they were done with SS.

SeanTSC

Everyone has such big orgasms over TTYD that I actually feel shitty for never having played it.

I would buy a Remaster in a heartbeat, please make it so.

And actually I don't think I've played ANY of those games except the original Super Mario RPG. I definitely need some remasters it sounds like.

jrDev

Paper Mario and M&L both need reboots.

Both series have run into the ground due to weird and bizarre changes (moreso Paper Mario than M&L).

Mario and Luigi's problem is more related to stagnation and trying "bold new ideas" that just aren't interesting.

Paper Mario needs to be rebooted back to the first two games. Nintendo should know better than to continue making shit games after how universally badly they were received.
What are you even talking about? The lowest score for any of those games is 75 metacritic. And before you go "har har metacritic", it is an aggregate to that shows how a game was received.

Jeels

I don't like the M&L series, but I loved the first two Paper Mario's.

Another case of Nintendo just not getting it. :( I'd be all over a TYD remaster...

The lowest score for any of those games is 75 metacritic.

That's abysmal compared to the masterpieces the first two were considered. I haven't seen anyone hyped or a paper Mario since they released Super Paper Mario on the Wii, everyone was almost universally disappointed if they were expecting something like the first two.

Andyliini

Don't really care, I absolutely love Mario & Luigi -games. I played trough Paper Mario, but had problems with how the game played, so I'm not really feeling the series. Maybe try out rest of the series when I have time.

I like the Mario & Luigi games better anyway.

I did like Super Paper Mario though. I'm glad they're not just making two similar RPG series with just different visual styles.

rhandino

Banned
How fucking ironic would it be if they released a TTYD remaster and it sold more than Sticker Star and Color Splash, lol. Maybe they'd finally get the fucking message.
LOL, That is totally not going to happen.

At least some people will find some comfort in the very high chance that Color Splash will sell worse than PM and TTYD so slay a bit, I guess.

brinstar

Honestly I'd like to see them try a new kind of a RPG. Like a new Mario-branded one. I remember when Paper Mario and M&L both first came out it was exciting because they both kind of came out of nowhere. But now they're so many games in and both of them have kind of veered away from the type of traditional RPG gameplay that brought me to them in the first place.

why they don't kill Mario and Luigi RPG series? I woudnt care ... but a paper mario that isnt a rpg is like a lifeless baby =(

jrDev

I don't like the M&L series, but I loved the first two Paper Mario's.

Another case of Nintendo just not getting it. :( I'd be all over a TYD remaster...

That's abysmal compared to the masterpieces the first two were considered. I haven't seen anyone hyped or a paper Mario since they released Super Paper Mario on the Wii, everyone was almost universally disappointed if they were expecting something like the first two.
But theyre not "shit" games...

What are you even talking about? The lowest score for any of those games is 75 metacritic. And before you go "har har metacritic", it is an aggregate to that shows how a game was received.

For games in a long running series, the user score is the one that you should be really concerned with. That 5.9 for Sticker Star is telling me to stay away from it. I avoided buying it even at bargain bin prices due to the negative fan reception.

Looking at the trailer and gameplay of Color Splash at the Treehouse event, to me it looks great. It seems like they fixed some of the issues Sticker Star had.

Seriously this is hyperbole the thread. I get that you don't like the change but wishing a series to die is a bit much. Although it seems like some Nintendo threads in GAF are people wanting a series to die....

DedValve

Banned
I haven't heard about this. What a damn shame. Paper mario had an incredible artstyle, fun battle system and charming story. I enjoyed SPM but not nearly as much as TTYD and the other games haven't really held my interest.

Paper mario was also in the interesting position to work perfectly for NX as the graphics would look identical on handheld or console.

Can't Mario & Luigi become the action adventure game instead?

Whatever. I can only hope the game will be good at this point.

Isn't Sticker Star the best selling Paper Mario game?

Meia

It's like I can barely step into a Nintendo thread these days without people wishing death upon a franchise.

To be fair, it seems like Nintendo most of the time these days is trying for this very outcome to begin with.

You have an established series that's one thing, then make another series that's another. You then completely flip what both do for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It just doesn't make sense, for starters. Then throw in that the new series doesn't ever really come close to what the old series did, and Nintendo themselves are telling you "If you liked that look at that series"...

Alchemy

Well I guess I'm done with Paper Mario unless 64 and TTYD get HD remasters. Learned my lesson getting burned by Sticker Star. This just reinforces my position.

Isn't Sticker Star the best selling Paper Mario game?

Yes, but it was also released on the 3DS. TTYD was released on the Gamecube, a console that had a much much smaller install base.

The TTYD remaster needs to be released on a console that has a large install base. At least as large as the 3DS' when Sticker Star was released. I'm convinced it would sell more than SS.

Sticker Star is not the best selling Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario is, and by a good healthy margin.

I have no idea why this belief is so commonplace.

Although it seems like some Nintendo threads in GAF are people wanting a series to die....
Wouldn't a trend to that effect suggest Nintendo might be doing something wrong?

From my perspective I'd much rather see Nintendo and IS's resources spent on making games I actually give a shit about instead of running a series that I used to like through the mud, but it's their money I guess.

Top Bottom