• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pepsi with no artificial sweeteners, less sugar, no HFCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

Considering sugar makes you sick and fat and soda is really really really bad for you, and that recent thread about artificial sweeteners also raising your blood sugar, so diet soda sucks too, I was really interested when I read about this on my facebook feed.

Pepsi announced a new drink that has no HFCS, less sugar (alright, still bad, but not as bad) and no artificial sweeteners (aspartame, etc.).
pepsi-true-3_large.jpg

Apparently it's being sold exclusively through Amazon this month. Anyone had a chance to try it?

http://live.pepsico.com/live/story/real-cola-taste.-true-pepsi-fun

Does Coca-Cola have something similar to this? Coke Zero has aspartame.

rjinaz

Coke is doing the exact same thing, they are currently selling it in other countries like Mexico and even limited areas in the US. It's called Coca-cola Life. I have been excited to try it. I will try this also if I can get it for a reasonable price. I know it only has 30 percent less calories but it's better than nothing and supposedly tastes nearly identical to regular.

sphinx

the piano man
Coke has just started doing Coke Life here in the UK, which is the same idea. Has stevia in it.

Coke-Life.jpg

also in Mexico.

I think the green color is terrible, I immediately think it tastes like some sour apple soda.

it's not going to work. red/white/black = refreshing

The Lamp

I want to try both, hmm. Never seen or heard of Coke Life around here yet.

Glad to see the soda companies trying to be healthier.

jelly

If it's not sweeteners and less sugar then what is the chemical shit they did use that keeps it tasty?

_woLf

I feel like if you're going to have a soda you may as well just have the original. Fooling yourself into thinking the chemicals you're putting into your body are any better than what you get from normal versions isn't really worth the trouble to me. Same goes for diet versions of sodas.

Or, just drink glorious water.

rjinaz

I feel like if you're going to have a soda you may as well just have the original. Fooling yourself into thinking the chemicals you're putting into your body are any better than what you get from normal versions isn't really worth the trouble to me. Same goes for diet versions of sodas.

But stevia is a plant, it is natural. That's like saying don't eat sugar. This soda would still be classified as unhealthy though, but at least it is healthier. I was kind of hoping either Coke or Pepsi would make a 100 percent stevia drink like Zevia. Zevia just costs way too much for me.

The Lamp

Right, I realize it's stevia. Haha. I do a lot of chemistry so I get sassy when people get paranoid about chemicals lol.

It's really interesting as a chemical because it apparently has negligible effect on blood sugar and yet is still quite sweet.

Actually there's data that is used to support which is better or not. The data suggests that stevia is much better for your body than fructose, and possibly aspartame.

I mostly just drink water anyway. BUT THEN THERE'S CHEMICALS IN YOUR WATER OMG

Dr.Acula

Banned
My brother and I were talking about this the other day. He was saying that most people just use a couple of sugars in a coffee or tea, and why couldn't they make cola just with less sugar? Forget artificial sweeteners, just normal sugar, but less of it.

hvPnFgT.jpg

So like that, but take out some cubes.

I can enjoy a club soda or a Perrier, there's something to be said for carbonated beverages, so why not just make a pop with less?

MJLord

Might make the switch from Diet to Life Coke after trying one today. I was pretty surprised how good it tasted.

omlet

The only sodas I buy are cane sugar sodas (local grocery store brand). They are way better than Coke or Pepsi.

Don't drink them often though. Pretty potent and a sugar bomb is a sugar bomb no matter what format it's in.

I mostly just drink water, whole milk, and tea lightly sweetened with agave nectar. Mmm.

The Lamp

My brother and I were talking about this the other day. He was saying that most people just use a couple of sugars in a coffee or tea, and why couldn't they make cola just with less sugar? Forget artificial sweeteners, just normal sugar, but less of it.

hvPnFgT.jpg

I can enjoy a club soda or a Perrier, there's something to be said for carbonated beverages, so why not just make a pop with less?

Because when you have a brand, your market demands/expects a certain level of quality from that product.

You could take out all the sugar of Pepsi or Coke, but then consumers would go into their taste tests and say "this tastes like shit" (because it really would) and no one would buy it, and neither of them would want to launch a product like that.

It's a careful balance of engineering something by improvement and upgrade while trying to maintain a level of customer satisfaction so that brand strength and sales remain strong.

ampere

It doesn't matter if they use 'real sugar' it's still sugar. Don't eat too much or you will gain weight. Using less sugar, OK I guess. The whole "omg HFCS" craze is silly, it's not really any more bad for you than other sugar. Soda is just bad for you period

Still has 16g of sugar which is still 4 servings of sugar... That's about half of your reccomended sugar intake for the day.

Also the size is 7.5 ounces in the cans. Regular pepsi cans are 12 ounces.. Did they really lower the sugar content that much or just give the consumer less :/.

The Lamp

It doesn't matter if they use 'real sugar' it's still sugar. Don't eat too much or you will gain weight. Using less sugar, OK I guess. The whole "omg HFCS" craze is silly, it's not really any more bad for you than other sugar. Soda is just bad for you period

Fructose is bad for you, and HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup has a lot of it.

CDX

Sweetened with real sugar and stevia leaf extract, Pepsi True has 30 percent less sugar than regular Pepsi and contains no high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners.

Oh it's stevia. I personally don't like the slight aftertaste I can taste with pure stevia. Maybe you don't notice it mixed with sugar, but I can't say I'm eager to try it.

If it was just 30 percent less sugar I would've considered trying it, if only for for curiosity's sake, just to see what less sweet Pepsi tastes like.

farisr

Aspartam ftw. The amount you ingest with cola is a non-factor in your health.

Wish that were the case for me. I get vertigo if I have anything with an artificial sweetener. Wasn't always that way, used to have like 1 or 2 drinks a week with no effects whatsoever.

3phemeral

hvPnFgT.jpg

I'm guessing it has something to do with masking the flavor of other things, like stabilizers, preservatives, etc, in addition to making it sweet enough for people to like it.

rjinaz

I've tasted this and it's alright. Just drink less often and you don't have to stray from sugar.
Pepsi_Next%2C_July_2012.jpg

I think it's horrible. It still tastes like diet to me, and I really wanted to like it.

Apparently coke is planning on going nationwide with Coke Life in November. They have already had success in other countries.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ft-drinks-beverages-colors-branding/16477457/

I already buy Surge from Amazon, since this pepsi product comes out sooner I'll try it, but no way I'm paying an online premium regularly if I can get coke life in a grocery store.

ampere

Fructose is bad for you, and HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup has a lot of it.

Well:

vs

Granulated sugar - 100% Sucrose
Sucrose is a disaccharide made up of 50% glucose and 50% fructose and has a glycemic index of 65.

The difference is not very large. It's also still sugar and empty calories. Empty calories make you fat

rjinaz

Well:

vs

Granulated sugar - 100% Sucrose
Sucrose is a disaccharide made up of 50% glucose and 50% fructose and has a glycemic index of 65.

The difference is not very large. It's also still sugar and empty calories. Empty calories make you fat

Right, but the problem is, not everybody will stop drinking soda; I'm not going to. It's easy to just say it's bad for you like that should end the conversation, but its not that simple. So a solution is to try and make soda more healthy for those that don't want to stop.

KingSlime

I barely drink soft drinks, but if I do, I usually have a Coke Zero. Is Pepsi Throwback a regular thing? I see it sometimes in supermarkets and got it once and it was great. Nice to have real sugar rather than HFCS. Again, I don't drink it nearly enough to worry, but you do hear things every so often about aspartame that are turning me off Coke Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom