• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New?? Ridge Racer PSP Renders + Art

olimario

Banned
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041108/rrs.htm

rrs01.jpg
rrs02.jpg
rrs03.jpg
rrs04.jpg

rrs07.jpg
rrs08.jpg
rrs09.jpg
rrs10.jpg

rrs17.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
At least four of those are undoctored screen shots. One that shows the bridge and the water is in-game as well, but it's supersampled from higher res picture.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Marconelly said:
At least four of those are undoctored screen shots. One that shows the bridge and the water is in-game as well, but it's supersampled from higher res picture.

I'm assuming the bottom two car photos are most accurate of what the game will look like?

You know it's funny in the thread a bit back were people were complaining because of the comment that at the most you'll only be able to see 2-3 opponents on the screen at the same time?

Hell wasn't that how it was in most console Ridge Racers anyway? I vaguely remember it being like that....

Miburou

The opponents in RR games are usually more like milestones, always at the same distance from each other. So aside from the beginning of the race, you usually only saw 3 or 4 at a time.

kiryogi

Banned
Reiko > Ai (RRV5 girl?)
Reiko > Gina
Reiko = Rena
(R:Racing girls for the latter)

:D Here's hoping for a new Reiko calendar. I still remember using that one back in 99-00' We missed you Reiko!

DarienA

I thought you only saw that old Namco game(Racer x?) on loading screens? And ugh don't tell me the obsession with blurring effects to help increase the sense of speed have spilled over to the PSP?!?!?!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wish they would release my favorite shot in the normal resolution, the one that shows the same part of the track as the last shot above, but with that building in front being much closer, and with your car on the screen

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DarienA said:
I thought you only saw that old Namco game(Racer x?) on loading screens? And ugh don't tell me the obsession with blurring effects to help increase the sense of speed have spilled over to the PSP?!?!?!

It works in some cases, though. Burnout 3 uses it perfectly.

Midas

DarienA said:

Looks like it. :(

But I'm still getting it!

DarienA said:

The game now has nitros so when you use those the screen will blur.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DarienA said:
Uhmm... let's put it like this - if there's one thing where PSP kicks the crap out of PS2 it's in the capacity for postprocessing effects. But motion blur is only one of those effects so don't worry too much...

Though I must say that blurring the HUD along with everything else makes it look stupid.

It looks like the Rally X graphics are being used to illustrate your position relative to other cars when split times are shown, like how Pac-Man sprites were used in RRV. Nothing wrong with that. :)

DarienA

jiji said:
It looks like the Racer X graphics are being used to illustrate your position relative to other cars when split times are shown, like how Pac-Man sprites were used in RRV. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Ah looks like you're right, thanks for pointing that out. I still don't have much interest in picking up a portable... maybe when I go back to taking the metro back and forth to work it'll appeal to me more... but I really want to see this thing in motion in my own hands...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Haha, hooray for nitros. I always loved them in every racing game, staring from Super Hang on onward :)) I even like the HUD blurring, nothing wrong with it.

if there's one thing where PSP kicks the crap out of PS2 it's in the capacity for postprocessing effects. But motion blur is only one of those effects so don't worry too much...
Damn, are you serious? I mean those effects are one thing where PS2 really shines...

DarienA

ridge-racer-ds-20041006000649167-000.jpg

rirapp013.jpg

These don't even look like they are competing in the same generation.... but I guess that shows the different focus of both machines...

DJ how did you get back up to 2 posts? I could have sworn you were down to 1 the other day....

Please stop posting images of this game! You are making me want it! But I don't want to want it! Please stop right now! Thank you :)

Holy crap does this game look good.

DarienA said:
These don't even look like they are competing in the same generation.... but I guess that shows the different focus of both machines...

DJ how did you get back up to 2 posts? I could have sworn you were down to 1 the other day....

Are you implying that the DS is inferior to PSP?

No, haven't been down to 1 that I've noticed.

mr2mike

Banned
it's pretty crazy to think that those screens are actual PSP resolution.

best handheld ever. We're all gonna be free from the confines of cell phone and GBA-like screens! well, the nbots wont, but I will :D

Oh and of course, thumbs up for Reiko, though the fashion sense of the guys at namco is weird it seems. Reiko's usual more fitting white dress, the more casual wear from the RRT4 intro, even the scantly clad Ai looked good, but what they've dressed Reiko in this time is just destroying the model's proportions: flared bottom + black shoulders = she damn near looks like a pyramid.

"Are you implying that the DS is inferior to PSP?"

Well usually when stuff is implied, it's because there's an amount of room for interpretation... but power-wise it's as solid a fact that PSP > DS as Earth = round.

So I dont think it would be implied, but plainly stated.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't understand why they are overwhelming the widescreen aspect ratio with oversized HUD elements. Defeats the merit of the widescreen for a game like this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really hope there will be an option to remove that HUD completely, or almost completely.

Another screen. This, again, is the in-game screen, only supersampled.

rrs20.jpg

Miburou

They've only shown 3 tracks so far, even though it's supposed to have 24. I hope it's not a case of those 3 tracks having 8 variations each. :(

And boo at the inclusion of nitros.

Soul4ger

This definitely looks amazing. I regret not importing a PSP just staring at these screens... Ah, well, it'll only be a few months...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm buying this one at launch for sure. With all those tracks this might end up being the best Ridge Racer ever. I'm looking forward to the addition of the nitros as well.

I just hope Sony releases a PSP player for the PS3 at some point so I can play this (and other PSP games) on my TV.

JC10001 said:
I'm buying this one at launch for sure. With all those tracks this might end up being the best Ridge Racer ever. I'm looking forward to the addition of the nitros as well.

I just hope Sony releases a PSP player for the PS3 at some point so I can play this (and other PSP games) on my TV.

"all those tracks"....does that mean Rage Racer tracks are in here?! *crosses fingers*

Top Bottom