• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Scans and Info of Alone in the Dark: Near Death Investigation

Endless

Scans from the German PC Games:

Max@GC said:
summary:

- you play the same Edward Carnby as in the first AiTD...which was set 80 years earlier...time traveler with question mark

- combine items in the inventory like the shown spray can and lighter

- these fugly crawfish like creatures on page 82 are hatching out of nests that can only be destroyed by fire...guess wut

- Nour Polloni on why they chose the central park in nyc as the main location: "we wanted a pretty place that everyone knows...and distort it"

- self-made car bomb 101: grab a screwdriver from the glove box and damage the tank. while the gas is leaking out you drive a bit down the road. you bail out of the driving vehicle (the gameplay will be that dynamic) with its steering wheel blocked, grab the lighter and light the leaked out fuel...bomba!

- you can set your environment on fire...but if you overdo things you just have to...bail out again (like on page 83, upper right pic)

- some monsters wear a leaking oil bottle (page 83)...just light the smear of oil and watch that little bugger burn.

- molotov cocktail: combine a bottle of alc with a rug and the obligatory lighter

- most of the areas are pitch black, light them up by using a burning wooden chair for example

- if flames block your way you have to find a way to extinguish them...

- the suspense in the game/of the story is compared with tv series such as lost or heroes

- sarah is the female protagonist and you will meet ed carnbys antagonist as well: a grim guy with a scared face and a black raincoat...Matrix lol!

- the version shown is the xbox 360 version but the pc (and obviously ps3) version wont be any different regarding gfx.

- but: eden games could have some trouble in porting the control scheme of carnby to the keyboard and mouse - you can play the whole game completely in first or in third person, with the left stick you control ed and with the right one you control eds arm.

- there are no attack buttons cuz you control the power of eds attacks/arm by moving the right analog stick strong or weak in certain directions with applied weapons like shovel, chair etc.

- more than 1500 photos of the real central park were used to create the virtual counterpart.

- especially the faces of the characters are very detailed (scars, pores, wrinkles etc.)

- you grill the the bat like creatures that block the fence on page by using an electrical cord (page 84)

- in the demo of the game is a flooded hallway with an electrical cord electrizing the water: you grab a bar and push the cord carefully aside to hang it over a nearby rail...your way is clear.

- the havok physics engine allows realistic deformation of the environment: wooden doors will splinter if you break em with heavy objects, metal doors will deform and need more blows - there will be no senseless locked doors, nor will you have to find key a to open door b.

- the extremely realistic looking fire is the main gameplay element: it ignites objects one by one, chairs and tables will collapse after burning awhile, you can use it as a torch and weapon at once.

- to whom it may concern: the sequel to the crappy uwe boll movie is already finished

- combine elastic lamps with duct tape to place them in dark hallways respectively to frighten away some evil dark fluid that occasionally lurks there.

- your weapons are your combined items but you also will be able to use EVERY object in your environment as a weapon.

- there are enemys - like the zombies - that you kill best with close combat weapons like an axe or a bar. afterwards you have to burn them....you can also create a circle of oil, alcohol etc. to lure them into a fiery trap...endless tactical gameplay possibilitys ftw!

- u can save item combinations and assign them to quick buttons

- you find and can drive certain vehicles in the cetrals park. in a car you´ll find a glove box with items in it, a radio that plays music and if you can´t find the keys you grab two wires and short-circuit it - richard dean anderson style!

- they use the car physics from Eden Games Test Drive Unlimited

- you can reach every spot in the game u can see

- the layout of the story is like 24 or prison break: you play several 1 hour long episodes that are part of a whole season (with a beginning, character development and a big cliffhanger at the end) e.g. the game itself. yup they´re already planning the sequel cuz they want to redefine the alone in the dark franchise. they used the episode layout to avoid "suspense holes" like other games have which use the movie structure.

- at the end of their studio tour the pc games editors were stunned and suprised by an entirely new level of the game: carnby is rushing down 59th street in a taxi. behind him an invisible shockwave that whirls up the asphalt a couple of foot in the air, crashing the entire road. carnby passes the oncoming traffic while skyscrapers are collapsing above him and crashing onto the street - completely in real time. the orchestral soundtrack is raving. there are also slo-mos highlighted with choral singing - cinema de hollywood!

- the editor compares the game with half life 2 regarding the perfect mix of physics and game design.

- release: spring 2008

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The flamethrower fire effects are top notch.
Game looks good imo. Thanks for the scans Endless. :)

FFChris

Looks interesting. I'm glad that every area is almost pitch black, and you have to make your own light. Not so sure about enemies holding leaking bottles of oil though. :lol

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
DontStopTheTatakai said:
Either the car wasn't in motion or was moving at a snail's pace because Mythbusters has shown that the fire would never catch up with a normal moving car :lol

lol

I actually saw that episode.

Aside form looking a little plastic, it looks great.

Is it saying your character can actually scar, or does he always have that big gash on his face?

turk128

6tbh8nq.jpg

Dragmire

Game sounds awesome and the graphics look nice other than the plasticness. But that is some of the worst hair I've ever seen on a main character. That is mannequin hair.

NeonBlade

Banned
So I'm taking it this is a Sandbox Survival Horror where you can do mostly anything and have varying ways to get to destinations or is it a set path?

looks much better than Silent Hill 5

Ventrue

NeonBlade said:
So I'm taking it this is a Sandbox Survival Horror where you can do mostly anything and have varying ways to get to destinations or is it a set path?

looks much better than Silent Hill 5

Well, they say you can go anywhere you see, so I'd guess it is fairly non-linear.

Actually, I think that is an old sub-title no longer being used.

Wikipedia said:
Alone in the Dark, originally known as Alone in the Dark 5 and Alone in the Dark: Near Death Investigation, is the fifth installment of the survival horror video game series under the same name created by Infogrames.

Alone_in_the_Dark_5_%28PC%29.PNG

http://www.centraldark.com/

It is just Alone in the Dark. No number, no subtitle.

Mark MacDonald from 1up would be proud of that boxart.

I still don't understand how the episodic pacing will work in this game. You can choose when to start the next episode right? How is it any different from chapters or missions then?

glaurung

- there are enemys - like the zombies - that you kill best with close combat weapons like an axe or a bar. afterwards you have to burn them....you can also create a circle of oil, alcohol etc. to lure them into a fiery trap...endless tactical gameplay possibilitys ftw!

Right.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Not sure what to think of this. Sounds like a lot of promises being made, but I do like the Alone in the Dark series (and the genre in general). Also...

the layout of the story is like 24 or prison break: you play several 1 hour long episodes that are part of a whole season (with a beginning, character development and a big cliffhanger at the end) e.g. the game itself. yup they´re already planning the sequel cuz they want to redefine the alone in the dark franchise. they used the episode layout to avoid "suspense holes" like other games have which use the movie structure.

...is stupid. Who came up with the idea that it's a good thing to have cliffhangers in games? Yeah, it sure worked out fine for Halo 2. It's true most of the 24 seasons end with some kind of cliffhanger, but you usually get a new season less than a year later. Will the AoiD devs be able to match that?

Leonsito

This looks like shit, and even they said they want to redefine the aitd franchies ... :lol fuck you, this is not aitd, seems they have accomplished they objectives.

- some monsters wear a leaking oil bottle (page 83)...just light the smear of oil and watch that little bugger burn.

Christ. Game enmies are wearing explosive barrels as clothing now instead of just cover.

Nolan.

I see this game is all about the flammenwerfer. Anyway I could have easily believed this was some bits in too human if you took away the flammenwerfer and main character. It might end up being a really good game but since the first screens I saw of it seems to be working in reverse, anyway at least it has flammenwerfer in.

disappeared said:
Maybe because they're taking their time developing it.

Or just maybe because Atari/Infogrames is hurting in the cash department.
I wouldn't be surprised if this game was sold to another company before its release- causing even more delays.

DontStopTheTatakai said:
Either the car wasn't in motion or was moving at a snail's pace because Mythbusters has shown that the fire would never catch up with a normal moving car :lol
next you'll be telling me that they proved that Time Travel wasn't possible either.

Zenith

Banned
why is everyone being so negative? this sounds and looks brilliant and has a ton of innovative features. wasn't everyone complaining about how every single new game is just another FPS or last-gen game with HD graphics? at least this one's trying something new.

although:

- they use the car physics from Eden Games Test Drive Unlimited

why the fuck would they use the driving physics from a game where the driving physics were expressly criticised?

Top Bottom