• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Randdalf

Since when did this game have co-op? Waaaat! Is it online or local?

I'm going to go DD with this game, to test that system out (if the price is right), but I don't think I'll do it with any other games.

RM8

Oh man. I really don't know if I should buy this or not now. I will at some point, but I think for now I could buy another game. Plus, I don't want to "burn" 2D Mario if I'm getting a WiiU at launch.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Since when did this game have co-op? Waaaat! Is it online or local?

I'm going to go DD with this game, to test that system out (if the price is right), but I don't think I'll do it with any other games.

It's always had 2 player co-op. It's local wifi, not online, but it is for the entire campaign.

Last French trailer with HUGE spoilers
The final part shows an important moment of the Bowser battle

It's really crazy

http://www.wiiz.fr/article.php?a=41218

Hmm. Yeah, I've always been planning on forgoing this in favor of NSMB and the 3DS Mario spin-offs, and I think I still will for now, but that had some neat things going on (level with the spinning blocks and skeletal Piranhas actually had some level of aesthetics!). I might buy it when I can get it for cheaper.

Dartastic

I'm kinda broke right now, and I've determined that I should save my money for the WiiU and not buy this game. :(

There are mods available for the wii version though? Are any of them decent? Also, what's the legality of those mods? I need some Mario to hold me over until Mario WiiU...

zroid

Banned
So, just a general question for all of you people who have a problem with the "bah bah" vocals in NSMB games...

I'm playing Rayman Origins right now and I know this game's music is widely treasured. I like it, too. But on the other hand, I think the vocal effects are far more annoying/egregious than anything in any NSMB game to-date.

What do you think?

Mael

Btw it's out in France since yesterday.
Another great victory for DD as the game will be available for download next week...
It's awesome, I didn't post earlier because I was playing the game after work.
Oh and the GAME reward is a keychain or something to attach to a smartphone in the shape of a coin you can open to put things into.
Also the manual is a disgrace as there's barely one in the first place.
The 3D effect is weird, you have more precise environment if in 2D but the blur is actually nice....
Yeah it beats the crap out of 3D Land imo, if only the dpad wasn't so low...

Oh and the box is gold

Tookay

So, just a general question for all of you people who have a problem with the "bah bah" vocals in NSMB games...

I'm playing Rayman Origins right now and I know this game's music is widely treasured. I like it, too. But on the other hand, I think the vocal effects are far more annoying/egregious than anything in any NSMB game to-date.

What do you think?

NSMB's vocal theme is barely enough to hold up for one game, let alone now three or four. It's low-quality garbage.

Foshy

How can you not like Mouser?

407204-mouser_large.jpg

He should at least own a shop in Paper Mario games. Had pointy shades before they were cool.
Now that you mention it, yeah, he could work in Paper Mario. Don't really like his design though.

What do you think?

I think you're wrong. This is way better than anything in NSMB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwZphYfrGcU

Foshy

I absolutely love the Rayman Origins OST, including the more "vocal" songs (That underwater theme is GLORIOUS). NSMB's soundtrack is a bit bland to me, but I haven't necessairly got a problem with the "Bah"s. If anything, they should try more vocal stuff.

What do you think?

To go against the grain i'll say that Lums of the water is kind of annoying, the rest (fiery kitchen stages, mountains and so on) are perfectly fine to me.

daakusedo

I think I'll just go take it today, wasn't realizing the 80 levels thing but with this trailer, there are too much levels I want to play now. That's even more work for nsmb u coming not too long after with the things going on here.

Jackano

Got my PAL one already yesterday.
Yeah that's again your very fun Mario game. But like you probably already heard, that's too much Mario in a short time range here. Nothing is really new in "New" SMB2.
But that's the enjoyable blast like everytime with Mario. Only problem, for Nintendo, is that there is one another again that will come out in 3 months.

Oh, and the thing which really make me mad is the save system, you have to clear a castle for saving. Such a step back from SM3DL... and not suited for handheld gaming.
Coin rush is... I don't know, I don't like timed and score attack challenges so I will not play it at all (I just did two runs and Ok I have seen it).

daakusedo

That was not a game for me.
I just replayed four times in a row the first level just because I wasn't playing good enough to maximize the coins collect, and practically a second try for the others levels before going to the next and that was before I unlocked coin rush... that I did again and again till I can go fast through the three levels and collecting enough coins, but when you do it, it feels good.

Also on the game box and when you first start the game it's mentionned that spotpass is for new levels and following the worldwide coins count, but I didn't see anything in the menus.

I like all the hidden things you can do to make coins appear too, that's by replaying the second level that I just found the little secrets before entering the pipe, and there are things like that everywhere.

Also it seems the canon level is unlocked by a secret area in the first water level but didn't find anything if not those blocks where the first medal is, but impossible to break to enter...

Dartastic

I'm kinda broke right now, and I've determined that I should save my money for the WiiU and not buy this game. :(

There are mods available for the wii version though? Are any of them decent? Also, what's the legality of those mods? I need some Mario to hold me over until Mario WiiU...

Nobody? :/

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That was not a game for me.
I just replayed four times in a row the first level just because I wasn't playing good enough to maximize the coins collect, and practically a second try for the others levels before going to the next and that was before I unlocked coin rush... that I did again and again till I can go fast through the three levels and collecting enough coins, but when you do it, it feels good.

Also on the game box and when you first start the game it's mentionned that spotpass is for new levels and following the worldwide coins count, still not available anywhere in the menus.

I like all the hidden things you can do to make coins appear too, that's by replaying the second level that I just found the little secrets before entering the pipe, and there are things like that everywhere.

Also it seems the canon level is unlocked by a secret area in the first water level but didn't find anything if not those blocks where the first medal is, but impossible to break to enter...

So, the game itself says that the SpotPass worldwide coins count isn't available yet? Or am I understanding this wrong?

Kai Dracon

Man, if the game and box itself says that spotpass is specifically used for comparing or tracking global coin totals, this has got to be a locked feature for when the game is out in all 3 regions.

StayDead

So I think I know why my game still hasn't arrived.

It got to heathrow and was tracked last saturday and when I checked again today it's been tracked back in Chiba. For some unknown reason they've sent it back. I now get to wait another week before I can say to amiami that it never arrived and I'd like a refund, then I'll just download the thing off the shop like I should have in the first place.

Never had a problem with importing, not once. x.x

_013jf9k.png

Well, that's that...

And I think I'm done with Coin Rush Mode for a while. I think I can't do any better than that for now (mushroom level pack):

uhduq.png

Nobody? :/

Mario mods are legal provided that the mods don't include the base game (i.e. if they're only patches).

They usually require you use the original disk instead of installing it via USB Loader, due to piracy prevention. So if your Wii drive is broken like mine and your only option is USB loader, or if you want to play it in Dolphin, you'll have to do a little extra work to play the mod there.

Here are some good TCs, done by many Mario hacking veterans and music by NeoGAF's BowieZ:
http://www.newerteam.com/

Here's a database of New SMB Wii levels, ordered by highest rated:
http://rvlution.net/nsmbw/index.php?m=gallery&sort=rating

I can't find a good site with all mods, including TCs like DUSMB or New SMB Wii 2. There is a site called mariomods, but every single link on that site has an adfly ad around it. I've never seen such blatant advertising, wow... So I don't recommend going there.

As a side note, I can't wait for the 3DS to be decrypted and hacked so we can do all of this kind of stuff with New SMB 2, especially with the coin mechanic.

zroid

Banned
So I think I know why my game still hasn't arrived.

It got to heathrow and was tracked last saturday and when I checked again today it's been tracked back in Chiba. For some unknown reason they've sent it back. I now get to wait another week before I can say to amiami that it never arrived and I'd like a refund, then I'll just download the thing off the shop like I should have in the first place.

Never had a problem with importing, not once. x.x

They won't let you import that much gold
:(

daakusedo

I guess will hear a lot about second star coin from 2-4 that thing is more than well hidden.
I found it by accident and finally understood what that block was doing here...

Dartastic

Mario mods are legal provided that the mods don't include the base game (i.e. if they're only patches).

They usually require you use the original disk instead of installing it via USB Loader, due to piracy prevention. So if your Wii drive is broken like mine and your only option is USB loader, or if you want to play it in Dolphin, you'll have to do a little extra work to play the mod there.

Here are some good TCs, done by many Mario hacking veterans and music by NeoGAF's BowieZ:
http://www.newerteam.com/

Here's a database of New SMB Wii levels, ordered by highest rated:
http://rvlution.net/nsmbw/index.php?m=gallery&sort=rating

I can't find a good site with all mods, including TCs like DUSMB or New SMB Wii 2. There is a site called mariomods, but every single link on that site has an adfly ad around it. I've never seen such blatant advertising, wow... So I don't recommend going there.

As a side note, I can't wait for the 3DS to be decrypted and hacked so we can do all of this kind of stuff with New SMB 2, especially with the coin mechanic.
Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you.

daakusedo

It relies on a certain gameplay idea, not any use of 3d.
Talking about it, 3d works well in this game, notably to have a better sense of matter like the stone platforms in some castles, roundness of pipes, particles or the ground and walls in underground and underwater levels. That depth fits well the serie artstyle.

Oh, and the thing which really make me mad is the save system, you have to clear a castle for saving. Such a step back from SM3DL... and not suited for handheld gaming.

OMG is this really true? No other save option?
In ths case I won't buy this game...ever.
I hate clearing 2-3 difficult stages and not be able to save my progress until I beat the next level + Boss.

Sry Nintendo but this is bullshit, imo.

Berordn

OMG is this really true? No other save option?
In ths case I won't buy this game...ever.
I hate clearing 2-3 difficult stages and not be able to save my progress until I beat the next level + Boss.

Sry Nintendo but this is bullshit, imo.

This is identical to NSMB 1 for DS. After beating the game you can save anytime.

Foshy

...seriously? Not even a temporary save? Even the fucking GBA remakes had them, years ago. Sounds like a major oversight to me.

Yeah I played all Mario Games...but I am not a teenager anymore so I haven't got the time and the will to play the stages over and over again because of this stupid save system. :/

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah I played all Mario Games...but I am not a teenager anymore so I haven't the time and the will to play the stages over and over again because of this stupid save system. :/
Hey, not sure if you know but 3DS does have a sleep mode and a stand which if utilized can charge your system while in sleep mode.

Berordn

...seriously? Not even a temporary save? Even the fucking GBA remakes had them, years ago. Sounds like a major oversight to me.

The GBA versions also didn't have sleep mode until... Yoshi's Island, I think? You can still close your 3DS and come back to it whenever.

Yeah I played all Mario Games...but I am not a teenager anymore so I haven't got the time and the will to play the stages over and over again because of this stupid save system. :/

With sleep mode and an abundance of coins, leading to an abundance of one-ups, I don't really think it's as big a concern as you're making it out to be.

bumpkin

That boss in SML1 was a precursor to me liking Schmup games :)
Did you not own the original NES? Gradius and Life Force were the games that started my love affair with the Schmup. Super R-Type, Alexay and Darius Twin on the Super NES cemented it. Every great one after that were just the cherries on top.

DustinC

Eh, you can quick save at any point on the map screen. With a quick save you can turn the whole damn thing off and come back, or even play on another save file without losing progress.

The regular save is after castles only, and when you unlock a mushroom house (or spend star coins in general).

Foshy

The GBA versions also didn't have sleep mode until... Yoshi's Island, I think? You can still close your 3DS and come back to it whenever.
What if you want to play another game/browse the eShop/have a sibling who wants to play your 3DS? Sleep mode is not a substitute for temp saves, it serves another purpose.

With sleep mode and an abundance of coins, leading to an abundance of one-ups, I don't really think it's as big a concern as you're making it out to be.
That's not the point at all here.

EDIT: Turns out temp saves are in, no worries then. The other guy made it seem like they didn't exist.

Kai Dracon

The quick save is an addition from NSMB DS, isn't it?

Sounds like a compromise to create some degree of danger (lose all lives, go back 3 stages) while providing convenience.

Top Bottom