• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

The extra line doesn't mean shit. They're back peddling.

"This game is the same tired bullshit everyone is starting to get sick of when it comes to the NSMB series. But it was still great for the 5 hours it lasted!"

*ridiculously high scores to the contrary of the written review*

what.

It's like they're incapable of being negative with a 2D Mario game just because it's a 2D Mario game. This reminds me of the Star Wars on blu ray debacle. "The special edition changes are awful, and the transfers aren't that great... but it's Star Wars. On BLU RAY. 10/10"

They describe the game as something that should be a 6-7 based on their review but are incapable of doing so because of the Mario name

Welcome to gaming "journalism" 101 my friends

Kamek

Why won't this come out already :( It looks great, and irrespective of whether coins get you something cool or not, it's that mental endorphin rush you get from collecting them that'll make it so addictive. At least I have KH3DS to keep me occupied until then.

I'm digging it (I'm up to World 3.) Having a lot more fun with it than NSMB 1 and Wii. Yeah, you can still complain about Mario controlling sluggishly, baby pastels, and and underwater levels that are like swimming through molasses, but that said, reviews are jaded. Game is pretty great.

Did a little MS Paint comic about the game, maybe it might make you smile.

012.png

Man, their analysis is spot-on. The fact that Nintendo didn't even bother to explain why there are suddenly so many coins in the Mushroom Kingdom is fucking disgraceful. Why does Mario Party 9 have a more inventive story line than this game does? It's funny how people criticize that franchise for being formulaic yet new each installment continues to offer more originality and charm than every NSMB game combined.

Man, their analysis is spot-on. The fact that Nintendo didn't even bother to explain why there are suddenly so many coins in the Mushroom Kingdom is fucking disgraceful.

There are pipes and shrooms in this series.

Coins float in the sky, mushroom creatures and turtles are out to get you, staircases lead up to nowhere, your character can jump several times his own height, and can grow to double-size and transform into any of a plethora of forms.

None of it makes any sense. Fucking disgraceful.

Velcro Fly

When has there EVER been a story in a 2D Mario game beyond the princess getting kidnapped and Mario needing to save her. The princess has been in another castle since 1985. I can't imagine people wanting or even expecting more. It's simple 2D platform game with a paper thin story. That's all it is ever going to be.

I do not think that accusing a reviewer of not actually liking a game despite them saying they are because of conspiracies speaks highly of the accuser.

bede-x

When has there EVER been a story in a 2D Mario game beyond the princess getting kidnapped and Mario needing to save her. The princess has been in another castle since 1985.

Super Mario Land 2+3, Yoshi's Island to name a few without a princess to rescue. Not that it really matters since the games are good, regardless of what reason you have to traverse the stages.

Man, their analysis is spot-on. The fact that Nintendo didn't even bother to explain why there are suddenly so many coins in the Mushroom Kingdom is fucking disgraceful. Why does Mario Party 9 have a more inventive story line than this game does? It's funny how people criticize that franchise for being formulaic yet new each installment continues to offer more originality and charm than every NSMB game combined.

Your mistake was giving a shit about Mario plot lines.

so... any new coin rewards?
aHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

It's criticism, not journalism.

Don't think I'm going to be picking this up, at least not for a long while. It's like a well-done CBS procedural: I can enjoy it and appreciate the craft, but it bores me conceptually. Not something I'll be spending $40 on.

It's criticism, not journalism.

Don't think I'm going to be picking this up, at least not for a long while. It's like a well-done CBS procedural: I can enjoy it and appreciate the craft, but it bores me conceptually. Not something I'll be spending $40 on.

I'll be spending 30 (and only $30 exactly) with NewEgg's pre-order discount :D

But yeah, I kinda hesitated at first....but then I thought, It's not like the game's going to be horrible despite the main advertised "hook" of the game being totally pointless.

Still good o Mario 2D platforming that never fails.

When has there EVER been a story in a 2D Mario game beyond the princess getting kidnapped and Mario needing to save her. The princess has been in another castle since 1985. I can't imagine people wanting or even expecting more. It's simple 2D platform game with a paper thin story. That's all it is ever going to be.
Taken from Super Mario Wiki - which cites official Nintendo instruction booklets and documentation.

Super Mario bros. - Mario, and his brother Luigi, had to set out on a massive adventure across the Mushroom Kingdom to rescue Princess Peach and the Mushroom Retainers from the evil King Bowser.

Super Mario bros. 2 - Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad had to save the dream world of Subcon from the diabolical Wart. After fighting their way through seven strange worlds, they eventually saved Subcon, and Mario woke up from his dream.

Super Mario bros. 3 - Mario and Luigi embark on a mission on behalf of Princess Peach to stop Bowser and his children—the Koopalings—from terrorizing the kings of seven regions in the Mushroom World. The Koopalings stole the kings' magic wands and transformed them into animals. Princess Peach is later kidnapped when the Mario brothers are halfway through their journey.

Super Mario World - After saving the Mushroom Kingdom, brothers Mario and Luigi agree to take a vacation to a place called Dinosaur Land, where there are many types of dinosaurs. However, while resting in the beach, Princess Peach disappears. When Mario and Luigi wake up they try to find her and, after hours of searching, come across a giant egg in the forest. It suddenly hatches and out of it comes a young dinosaur named Yoshi, who then tells them that his dinosaur friends have also been imprisoned in eggs by evil koopas. Mario and Luigi soon realize that it must be the evil King Koopa Bowser and his Koopalings.

Super Mario Land - Mario had to traverse across the four worlds of Sarasaland to save the Princess Daisy from the alien Tatanga.

Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins - This story picked up right where the last one left off. After rescuing Princess Daisy, Mario returned to his castle, only to find that it had been taken over by his old nemesis, Wario. Mario must collect six golden coins scattered across Mario Land in order to regain access to his Castle and defeat Wario.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are being carried by a stork, until Luigi falls out. Now Mario, allied with the Yoshis, must get Luigi back from Baby Bowser.

Super Mario 64 - Mario receives a letter from Princess Peach inviting him to come to her castle for a cake she has baked for him. However, when he arrives, Mario discovers that Bowser has invaded the castle and imprisoned the princess and her servants within it using the power of the castle's 120 Power Stars. Many of the castle's paintings are portals to other worlds, in which Bowser's minions keep watch over the stars

Super Mario Sunshine - While on his way to a vacation with Princess Peach and her loyal steward, Toadsworth, they discover a large glob of graffiti in the shape of Mario's head on their landing strip. Mario then finds an interesting machine, called F.L.U.D.D., that helps him rid the island of graffiti. After he collects a total of ten Shine Sprites, an impostor bearing a striking resemblance to Mario kidnaps Princess Peach. Mario then must redeem his identity (because of Shadow Mario), by ridding the entire island of graffiti, all the while having to rescue Princess Peach.

New Super Mario bros. - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

Super Mario Galaxy - The story is told that every hundred years, a comet soars over the Mushroom Kingdom, raining stars down upon the land. Princess Peach invites Mario to her castle to join in on the festivities, only to have Bowser and Bowser Jr. crash the party. Bowser once again kidnaps Peach, but orders a Magikoopa to send Mario into a small planetoid. Mario then has to bounce from galaxy to galaxy, collecting Power Stars along his way. After encountering Rosalina and her Lumas, Mario learns that he needs to collect the Grand Stars in order to stop Bowser from completing his plan to create a new galaxy.

New Super Mario bros. Wii - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Miyamoto suddenly decides that the Mario series shouldn't be about storytelling.

Super Mario 3D Land - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

New Super Mario bros. 2 - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

Believe it or not, there came a time when Nintendo made an effort to keep the narrative fresh, yet simplistic.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Because we all know how much Galaxy 2 suffered from not focusing on the story, being the better game and all.

I had a lot of fun with the stories, characters and universe in the various Mario RPG games, so I wouldn't mind seing more stories in my classic platforming Mario games. As long as there aren't intrusive texts/dialogs all over the place of course.

Tookay

Not trying to derail this thread, but the Zelda game in Nintendo Land already looks like a ton more fun as it gets rid of the story-like elements (don't want to call it a story), the boring and out-of place objectives (collecting tears, finding your equipment again, protecting a flying robot, collecting underwater pieces), the endless walks between two locations, and most likely even the parts that artificially increased the game's length. If swordfighting in Wii Sports Resort is an indication, I'd also say that the controls are much better. Now the Nintendo Land minigame just needs to get bosses as good as those in Skyward Sword and it's superior in every area.

*What Skyward Sword also got right was the overworld. It was not a huge empty world as in TP. It was just a small empty world, which made it tolerable.

... It also gets rid of the dungeons and puzzles, arguably two of the best aspects of SS and the Zelda series in general.

watershed

Banned
I've always liked the mario stories and despite Miyamoto's preference I think future mario games will have stories again.

Famassu

They describe the game as something that should be a 6-7 based on their review but are incapable of doing so because of the Mario name

You don't throw around words like "platforming perfection" and "an absolute joy to play" and then give a game a 6, even if the game does have some issues. The game doesn't invent the wheels again, cry me a fucking river, if the game is still a really fun game to play through, it deserves a good grade.

JoeInky

Believe it or not, there came a time when Nintendo made an effort to keep the narrative fresh, yet simplistic.

Yeah, but you've done a lot of padding out for SMB, SMW, SML, SM64 and SMG When they're still just Princess Peach/Daisy has been kidnapped.

You didn't do the same padding for NSMBW with it being princess peaches birthday or NSMB2 with mario and luigi going on a coin hunt. That information is just as pointless as some of the stuff you've mentioned.

Man, their analysis is spot-on. The fact that Nintendo didn't even bother to explain why there are suddenly so many coins in the Mushroom Kingdom is fucking disgraceful.

Why are there coins everywhere in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Why does Mario collect coins in the first place?
Does he do it because he knows he will get extra lives?
Does he believe in reincarnation?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Because we all know how much Galaxy 2 suffered from not focusing on the story, being the better game and all.

but it had a story! Bowser wants to become the king of the universe, you've gotta stop that turtle, mang

farnham

Banned
Taken from Super Mario Wiki - which cites official Nintendo instruction booklets and documentation.

Super Mario bros. - Mario, and his brother Luigi, had to set out on a massive adventure across the Mushroom Kingdom to rescue Princess Peach and the Mushroom Retainers from the evil King Bowser.

Super Mario bros. 2 - Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad had to save the dream world of Subcon from the diabolical Wart. After fighting their way through seven strange worlds, they eventually saved Subcon, and Mario woke up from his dream.

Super Mario bros. 3 - Mario and Luigi embark on a mission on behalf of Princess Peach to stop Bowser and his children—the Koopalings—from terrorizing the kings of seven regions in the Mushroom World. The Koopalings stole the kings' magic wands and transformed them into animals. Princess Peach is later kidnapped when the Mario brothers are halfway through their journey.

Super Mario World - After saving the Mushroom Kingdom, brothers Mario and Luigi agree to take a vacation to a place called Dinosaur Land, where there are many types of dinosaurs. However, while resting in the beach, Princess Peach disappears. When Mario and Luigi wake up they try to find her and, after hours of searching, come across a giant egg in the forest. It suddenly hatches and out of it comes a young dinosaur named Yoshi, who then tells them that his dinosaur friends have also been imprisoned in eggs by evil koopas. Mario and Luigi soon realize that it must be the evil King Koopa Bowser and his Koopalings.

Super Mario Land - Mario had to traverse across the four worlds of Sarasaland to save the Princess Daisy from the alien Tatanga.

Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins - This story picked up right where the last one left off. After rescuing Princess Daisy, Mario returned to his castle, only to find that it had been taken over by his old nemesis, Wario. Mario must collect six golden coins scattered across Mario Land in order to regain access to his Castle and defeat Wario.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are being carried by a stork, until Luigi falls out. Now Mario, allied with the Yoshis, must get Luigi back from Baby Bowser.

Super Mario 64 - Mario receives a letter from Princess Peach inviting him to come to her castle for a cake she has baked for him. However, when he arrives, Mario discovers that Bowser has invaded the castle and imprisoned the princess and her servants within it using the power of the castle's 120 Power Stars. Many of the castle's paintings are portals to other worlds, in which Bowser's minions keep watch over the stars

Super Mario Sunshine - While on his way to a vacation with Princess Peach and her loyal steward, Toadsworth, they discover a large glob of graffiti in the shape of Mario's head on their landing strip. Mario then finds an interesting machine, called F.L.U.D.D., that helps him rid the island of graffiti. After he collects a total of ten Shine Sprites, an impostor bearing a striking resemblance to Mario kidnaps Princess Peach. Mario then must redeem his identity (because of Shadow Mario), by ridding the entire island of graffiti, all the while having to rescue Princess Peach.

New Super Mario bros. - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

Super Mario Galaxy - The story is told that every hundred years, a comet soars over the Mushroom Kingdom, raining stars down upon the land. Princess Peach invites Mario to her castle to join in on the festivities, only to have Bowser and Bowser Jr. crash the party. Bowser once again kidnaps Peach, but orders a Magikoopa to send Mario into a small planetoid. Mario then has to bounce from galaxy to galaxy, collecting Power Stars along his way. After encountering Rosalina and her Lumas, Mario learns that he needs to collect the Grand Stars in order to stop Bowser from completing his plan to create a new galaxy.

New Super Mario bros. Wii - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Miyamoto suddenly decides that the Mario series shouldn't be about storytelling.

Super Mario 3D Land - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

New Super Mario bros. 2 - Princess Peach has been kidnapped.

The narrative was always not the point of the game.

I think sunshine is theone time nintendo really tried to be fresh with the narrative but they failed at least in that regard. The game was fine though and thats what it comes down to in the end.

If you want nrrative from a mario game you can always play the mario RPG games

Since we've reached a state where upon we cannot prepare for this game without some sort of plotline i've gone through the liberty of creating a few scenarios you can use to enhance your new super mario bros experience later this month, get read for some narrative masterpieces!

"As Mario was taking his morning constitutional he went into the mushroom shop and purchased a lottery ticket, little did he know that it was the grand mushroom jackpot winning ticket and then coins exploded all over the kingdom, now Mario has to pick up his widespread reward!"

"One morning when Mario was out exploring one of the kingdoms many underground cave systems he made a huge mistake, he unwittingly struck a POW block that was below the Mushroom Kingdom Treasury and shattered the building to pieces causing coins to flood the land, upon emerging from his underground escapades Mario saw the destruction he had inadvertently caused and set out to fix it by reclaiming the many coins."

"In order to try and distract Mario from the latest Princess theft Bowser is flinging coins all around the kingdom from his surprisingly vast supply in the hopes that Mario gets so distracted and consumed by money that he forgets about the Princess entirely, unfortunately for Bowser Mario is going to get both the girl and the money."

"there's been an accident at the P switch factory and the block transformations have gone haywire, a bunch of P switches have been set off but dammit they wont turn back leading to coins everywhere, problem is when a solution is found there's going to be many newly positioned blocks all over the kingdom which could prove disastrous so Mario needs to get out there and grab these coins that were once blocks before it's too late."

sakipon

Why are there coins everywhere in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Why does Mario collect coins in the first place?
Does he do it because he knows he will get extra lives?
Does he believe in reincarnation?
Who wouldn't collect coins? One doesn't need a reason for it: hoarding shiny things has been the human nature for centuries and beyond.

I like the psychological approach though. It's a subtle story of how Mario and Luigi find their greedy inner personalities. They get frightened of the ugly thought but cannot stop picking up those sweet golden coins. Just a few more... In the end Mario starts hiding them under the pillow at night. Slowly the plumber loses his interest towards Princess Peach, as the relationship wasn't progressing anyway, and devotes his life to carrying piles of coins to his messy, dirty apartment filled with beer cans and leftovers of take-out food.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not trying to derail this thread, but the Zelda game in Nintendo Land already looks like a ton more fun as it gets rid of the story-like elements (don't want to call it a story), the boring and out-of place objectives (collecting tears, finding your equipment again, protecting a flying robot, collecting underwater pieces), the endless walks between two locations, and most likely even the parts that artificially increased the game's length. If swordfighting in Wii Sports Resort is an indication, I'd also say that the controls are much better. Now the Nintendo Land minigame just needs to get bosses as good as those in Skyward Sword and it's superior in every area.

*What Skyward Sword also got right was the overworld. It was not a huge empty world as in TP. It was just a small empty world, which made it tolerable.

Having played the minigame in NintendoLand and Skyward Sword I have to say gameplaywise there isn't even a single aspect where the NintendoLand game is superior to Skyward Sword. Fighting mechanics are way worse, level design isn't even comparable and where the hell are the puzzles? I can only think of one aspect where NintendoLand's mini game shines over Skyward Sword and that is that it doesn't seem to have a story. But I take the boring story placed in an incredible, near perfect game over no story in a mediocre game any day.

OMG Aero

Who wouldn't collect coins? One doesn't need a reason for it: hoarding shiny things has been the human nature for centuries and beyond.

I like the psychological approach though. It's a subtle story of how Mario and Luigi find their greedy inner personalities. They get frightened of the ugly thought but cannot stop picking up those sweet golden coins. Just a few more... In the end Mario starts hiding them under the pillow at night. Slowly the plumber loses his interest towards Princess Peach, as the relationship wasn't progressing anyway, and devotes his life to carrying piles of coins to his messy, dirty apartment filled with beer cans and leftovers of take-out food.
Then one night, Mario wakes up in a cold sweat and realises that the only thing his coins have brought him is
a new title screen

Hi. Question for Mr. Martinet. In New Super Mario Bros. 2, when Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach he takes her back to his castle, yet when Mario arrives we find that the castle's layout is entirely different to that featured in the previous game. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic castle or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

OMG Aero

Hi. Question for Mr. Martinet. In New Super Mario Bros. 2, when Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach he takes her back to his castle, yet when Mario arrives we find that the castle's layout is entirely different to that featured in the previous game. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic castle or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.
A magikoopa did it.

This doesn't make sense. Nobody would complain about Elder Scroll's big and empty world. Or Fallout 3's overworld. What about the original Legend of Zelda? Even OoT had a big open empty field with only a couple of enemies. Shadow of the Colossus. Isn't it supposed be simulating the aspects of an epic journey that one might expect from a fantasy narrative? Why would you want a small tight overworld?

Also, you claim SS "got it right" by making a "tolerable" overworld that was still empty. So in your mind, not as bad is still tolerable. But that's getting it right. Right? That makes no sense.

Dr.Hadji

No its welcome to GAF can't read 101. The first for comprehension and you for not reading at all.

Qurupeke

The 1M coins reward is
disappointing.
.__. After NSMBU's release, I hope that they will try something new. The coins theme had so much potential...

Zoc

I've got most stars on all worlds except the last one, World 6, and I've only found one Golden Flower so far in the entire game, in level 2-1. Is this normal or am I completely stupid, and have missed a bunch of them? I know it's overpowered, but it was kind of fun that one time I tried it.

Why can't Nintendo change up the 2D Mario formula like we see in the 3d Mario games? There's always something different with the 3D games: From 64 to the water gimmick then to a universe setting.

I want to see new gameplay mechanics and artstyle for the 2D Marios.

qq more

Nobody cares about story in Mario games. It's about the gameplay.

Unfortunately I've seen some GAFers who seriously criticizes Mario games for not having story. There was that one guy couldn't play through much of Galaxy because it "lacked a compelling story and intriguing character designs". ...Yeah.

I don't mind seeing them put minor effort into the story like 64 or Galaxy, which gives you at least some sense of adventure. SMS obviously was too much already.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Why can't Nintendo change up the 2D Mario formula like we see in the 3d Mario games? There's always something different with the 3D games: From 64 to the water gimmick then to a universe setting.

I want to see new gameplay mechanics and artstyle for the 2D Marios.

I think what folks aren't seeing is that the NSMB series is a specific sub-series of Mario with a specific purpose. To be 'basic' 2D Mario that is familiar for the mass market. It's a bit like asking why Nintendo never changes up Mario Kart. Aside from a few minor experiments, like bikes in one game, the basic game is always identical in almost every way.

So far, Nintendo has made one NSMB game on every platform, order to assure each one has a NSMB game. It's a very Nintendo thing to do.

What also doesn't seem to sink in for many, is that besides NSMB, Nintendo returned to 2D platformers with a vengence on the Wii - want variety? Wario Land Shake It, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's just kind of annoying when every time a NSMB game comes out a lot of people go "oh Nintendo, you have no creativity left and this is the only game you make anymore". Except for every other game they make.

The time to accuse Nintendo of having no ideas is when they make a second NSMB game on the same platform, and it is a clone of the previous one as unlikely as that is. I think it's more likely that if we see another 2D platformer starring Mario or his relations on the 3DS or Wii U, that will be the shake up - be it a Wario game, a Yoshi game, or actually starring Mario himself.

You're my hero.

Top Bottom