• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Still looking forward to it. Main worry is too much spamming of power ups. I loved 3D land, but there were too many raccoon suits. You basically go through the entire game in one

BowieZ

Banned
I'm pretty certain there will be one NSMB and one 3D Mario game per system (3DS, WiiU).

Super Mario 3DLand
New Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario Universe

And that's it. Then by 2016-2017, when the Nintendo 3D phone-console comes out (Nintendo All), and it'll have been over 4 years since the last 2D Mario game, we'll get a brand new 2D Mario series (Mario Bros. 1, 2, etc) (and maybe New Super Mario All-Stars).

bede-x

I'm pretty certain there will be one NSMB and one 3D Mario game per system (3DS, WiiU).

That's a perfect amount and it would be great, if they could stick to that. Then they should just add a Kirby/Donkey Kong/Wario/new game, whenever the need for another platformer arises.

zroid

Banned
No, they're not the point, but they lead to more interesting worlds and level designs.

Narratives could easily stifle the creativity that leads to interesting worlds and level designs by forcing them to follow a certain premise.

Mario design is always gameplay-driven. The stories are shoehorned in afterwards and used to connect together their ideas. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I think you'd be wrong to assume that the stories have any impact on level design.

Trevelyan

Banned

Super Mario 3DLand
New Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario Universe

And that's it. Then by 2016-2017, when the Nintendo 3D phone-console comes out (Nintendo All), and it'll have been over 4 years since the last 2D Mario game, we'll get a brand new 2D Mario series (Mario Bros. 1, 2, etc) (and maybe New Super Mario All-Stars).

The 3DS has a good 4 years left in it at least. Nintendo won't leave money on the table by not releasing at least one more Mario game before those 4 years up. Anyway, I could use at least one more 3DS Mario game in a couple of years.

The 3DS has a good 4 years left in it at least. Nintendo won't leave money on the table by not releasing at least one more Mario game before those 4 years up. Anyway, I could use at least one more 3DS Mario game in a couple of years.
Well, we've got the regular 2D Mario and the 3D Land style Mario.

How about a 64/Sunshine style Mario?

The DS got one - in 2006. I thought they would dish out one more for the DS, considering it was pretty successful, but no, didn't happen. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's it for the 3DS.

Drago

Thought this was interesting...

How to get 40 lives in 6 minutes

Not only do you get 40 lives, but also 4000 coins. Making the worthless journey to a million coins that much easier. ;P

tbh I will probably do this to help me go all the way to a million much quicker, just for completions sake o_o

Nintendo Club survey in Japan asked if I'd pay for DLC, or if I wanted it free (or not at all). Also, asked for suggestions for characters, rules, levels, and so on in a free answer question.

Thought this was interesting...

How to get 40 lives in 6 minutes

Not only do you get 40 lives, but also 4000 coins. Making the worthless journey to a million coins that much easier. ;P

tbh I will probably do this to help me go all the way to a million much quicker, just for completions sake o_o
Well, not really. There is a level where you get down a pipe to reach the star coin located at there. It's filled with jumping koopas and rainbow staircases (after you hit them with a gold Mario fireball), if I remember exactly. Kill all the koopas until one is left and wait until he is jumping near the stairway. Then just do the typical SMB 1up farming trick and you will be at 999 lives (or three crowns) in a few minutes.

Also, 4000 coins in 6 minutes isn't really that much. Just play coin rush mode. I'm getting 10k coins easily in under 8 minutes. If you're good enough you can collect 100k coins within an hour.

Teknoman

How does:

$2.50

3 maps (mix of new and recycled assets)
Playable Wario

Sound?

That would work for me...if Wario had all his usual voice samples. Would be nice to see a Super Mario Land 1 or 2 themed pack since we still havent seen Mario return to Sarasara land or any of the crazy areas from 2.

Tatanga.GIF

Also still think Tatanga not showing up in Galaxy was a missed opportunity.

My copy still hasn't arrived. It was tracked in Heathrow on Friday >_<
Checking for dem tax.
Seriously tho, you should've gone digital on this one probably, like me. I don't care much about physical copies (case, booklet etc.), so I will gladly download Nintendo 1st party titles from this point on.

StayDead

Checking for dem tax.
Seriously tho, you should've gone digital on this one probably, like me. I don't care much about physical copies (case, booklet etc.), so I will gladly download Nintendo 1st party titles from this point on.

I'm definitely going fully digital for Nintendo games from now on. I went digital for Oni Training but wanted the box stupidly for NSMB2. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo Club survey in Japan asked if I'd pay for DLC, or if I wanted it free (or not at all). Also, asked for suggestions for characters, rules, levels, and so on in a free answer question.

Who in their right mind would say they didn't want DLC?

jwhit28

I don't want much story, but it would be nice if they acknowledged that I did this before. Bowser's crashed ship in Super Mario World blew my little mind as a kid. The landscape in SMW would also change as you progressed like the hill getting a band-aid from being smashed by a castle.

The platforming and courses are what the game is all about so make an over-world interesting enough to let your platforming tell the story like Donkey Kong Country Returns.

JoeInky

3 maps?? What about something like 5 maps, playable Wario and some unique Coin Rush level that's just made to collect TONS of coins?. Yeah... ;D

The DLC levels will all be coin rush only so they'll only be a pack of 3 levels.
I'm interested in just how hard these levels are going to be, seeings as the devs in that Iwata ask's expressed an interest in making the optional DLC levels really hard (if I'm remembering correctly).

I'm definitely going fully digital for Nintendo games from now on. I went digital for Oni Training but wanted the box stupidly for NSMB2. :p
Heh.. good choice overall. Thank god I'm not into boxes and stuff anymore. On a side note, is Oni Training any good? I've downloaded the demo, but I didn't play it yet.

That would work for me...if Wario had all his usual voice samples. Would be nice to see a Super Mario Land 1 or 2 themed pack since we still havent seen Mario return to Sarasara land or any of the crazy areas from 2.

Tatanga.GIF

Also still think Tatanga not showing up in Galaxy was a missed opportunity.

That boss in SML1 was a precursor to me liking Schmup games :)

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the
StreetPass
functionality of this game is please?

I'm on a bit of a media blackout for the game so please forgive me for not doing my own research and/or just reading the thread.

Clarification of this aspect would be most appreciated so I can decide whether to go retail or download.

I have more than one 3DS you see.

DynamicG

Last French trailer with HUGE spoilers
The final part shows an important moment of the Bowser battle

It's really crazy

http://www.wiiz.fr/article.php?a=41218

I wasn't all that hyped about the game and I decided to click that link because I needed something spoiled to get me interested. If what you are talking about being a spoiler is the very last scene, then it didn't seem to spoil that much or it wasn't very surprising to me.

But the other stuff leading up to it totally got me excited about the game! The rush modes look cool. I just hope the coin sound doesn't get annoying.

Teknoman

How can you not like Mouser?

407204-mouser_large.jpg

He should at least own a shop in Paper Mario games. Had pointy shades before they were cool.

Is the second theme used in the french trailer (the one after the NSMB2 theme) used in game? And yes, the fast paced section shown was excellent.

Top Bottom