• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

clemenx

Banned
I love this game but really, something needs to be done about the music. It's literally the same song on every world, song that I'd probably like if it didn't play on every level. Every planet has its own track on both SMG games, is that too much to ask? There's only 8 worlds jeez.

Glass Joe

I'm a bit warped, and dislike 3D most of the time, I very rarely use the function in my 3DS games but do I actually like the 3D in this one and the specific way it layers it and even the contrast with the over DOF'd background.

It looks really good in water stages, for some reason, to me.

Yeah, all I read before I played it was "Nintendo's worst use of 3D yet!" But I like it. The water, snow, and lava stages look great. I suppose they could have tried to make stuff fly out at ya occasionally for the hell of it but it's better to be subtle than over-do it. Why they didn't try to recreate the clown car zooming in from SMW, for example, I'll never know, or the scaling effects when you beat a Koopa Kid.... But regardless, it gives me hope that more 2D-minded games will be made, like a Metroid or even a top-down view Zelda (like Link to the Past).

Raw64life

Loving the game, but I'm admittedly a sucker for Mario games. It does suck that there's basically no new music in this game, and I'm shamelessly looking up secrets I can't find after a few go arounds on a given board because the "arbitrarily jump in a random spot to reveal a hidden block" variety of secrets irritate me to no end. Overall it's still ridiculously fun, and the fact that it doesn't do anything groundbreaking doesn't bother me. It's not like they're releasing NSMB games every single year.

I've been collecting the star coins and unlocking levels. I beat every level in the star, mushroom, and fire flower worlds that doesn't require opening with coins. And I'm at 13 hours in my Activity Log.

I thought the regular 6 worlds were so-so the first time around. Only a few of them were even a little bit challenging. The secret worlds had some harder/better levels though. And the levels you have to unlock with coins are usually pretty good too.

I have a problem with the shiny stars/white raccoon boxes system. I just end up resetting the game if I see the box. This is the main reason why I beat Bowser ASAP. So I could save before every level and reset if I saw the box, so I'd keep my shiny stars. This just ends up being annoying. I really wish they'd stop with the shiny star crap and let me turn off the boxes from ever appearing. I don't even what to see them damn things!

There is something I kind of didn't like about the "theme" of the game. I really wanted this game to be more of a throwback to SMB3, but it just feels like NSMB DS with a little bit of SMB3. SM3DL feels more like a throwback to SMB3 than this game.

My opinion might change as I play more, but so far, I don't think it's quite as good as NSMB DS. I hope the DLC really does more SMB3-like stuff. We already heard that it'll have harder levels and I'm looking forward to that. Maybe this game will end up as my favorite NSMB after some good DLC, but right now, it's only my 2nd favorite.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going insane trying to figure out how to get through the blocks close to the beginning of stage 1-5.

it's been covered but I went mental on that as well.

[spoilers]gold mario you get from the houses and it's the only way to save a gold flower between levels as far as I know[/spoiler]

also when you get down there, you won't be overly impressed.....

also, I give up. I cannot find the 2nd coin on world
mushroom
ghost house. help me gaf. I'll kick myself when I get told, it's probably obvious.

also, I would love to know on which levels the secret exits are, but not how to find them. I enjoy finding them, but don't like searching levels where there isn't a secret exit, for a secret exit.

that would be my only design criticism, it's annoying that there isn't an indicator for if a secret exit is present.

BooJoh

I have a problem with the shiny stars/white raccoon boxes system. I just end up resetting the game if I see the box. This is the main reason why I beat Bowser ASAP. So I could save before every level and reset if I saw the box, so I'd keep my shiny stars. This just ends up being annoying. I really wish they'd stop with the shiny star crap and let me turn off the boxes from ever appearing. I don't even what to see them damn things!
I'd like to just disable them too, but I don't think this one punishes you just for seeing the box like 3DLand did. I know I saw the box at least once while playing through, then went back and replayed the level, beating it without the box present, and as you can see in my picture my stars are still shining.

XrNaq.png

Pineconn

Got the game yesterday, beat it a few hours ago, now trying to get everything I missed. Had to use a guide for the second Star Coin in 2-4, where
you had to break that block in the infinite Goomba cave. I knew it was suspicious, but didn't try walking to the right to drop down. Eff.

Getting to a million will be... fun...

So how do I get to the challenging parts of the game? :p

And Nintendo should really go more SMW/Mario 3 in future games......I want a big overworld map and branching paths

This game has some of that but I want more like SMW! :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If they are serious of listening to user feedback I think one priority is telling them to bring back the red and yellow level spaces from Super Mario WOrld that tell you if the level has a secret exit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If they are serious of listening to user feedback I think one priority is telling them to bring back the red and yellow level spaces from Super Mario WOrld that tell you if the level has a secret exit.

yep. secret exits are the best. but they fucking suck if you have no idea which level it's actually on. I'm pretty much using a faq just to find the level they are on, which is annoying, because I don't want the spoiler of where it is, just what level :/

I, on the other hand, want the next Mario to have no World Map. SMB1 style. I want a number of awesome levels in a row. One after the other. No secret exits. Point A to Point B. Back to basics, like Galaxy.

And I want new gameplay innovations that truly make me think differently about the way the game is played. The kind that had the impact of the acrobatics from DK'94/SM64, the suits from SMB3, and Yoshi from SMW. Not that I want those exactly. I want things that have that impact.

I'd like to just disable them too, but I don't think this one punishes you just for seeing the box like 3DLand did. I know I saw the box at least once while playing through, then went back and replayed the level, beating it without the box present, and as you can see in my picture my stars are still shining.

I just tested it out by copying my file and then dying until I got the box, beating the level without using it, and then saving and I still had shiny stars. So, good!

I've only just enabled coin rush / street pass, and I'm only up to World 4 in the main game - but I'm really not feeling it. There have been some great moments though - I love the mini mario stage on World 3 with the two exits, lots of water running, bouncing off bullet bills etc. really fun.

I think I've been spoilt by 3D Land... does it get better if you unlock the 'B'ranching worlds and get towards the end of the game?

Playing a bit of coin rush last night really made me feel further disappointed by its execution here because the actual premise is fantastic.
One of the most important twists is that 1 ups are now worth 50 coins, as such red coins are now more desirable than ever and those many hidden blocks containing them are now actively seeked out. On top of that the time limit really changes things as well, do you even have time to stop and nab those red coins or enter that pipe for the last star coin and 50 coin bonus?
But the coin cap, lack of leaderboards and random setup just sucks so very much (no one wants a ghost house, why must it end with a tower or castle?). It's like they really had something great here and botched it.
I've said it before and i'll say it again, i'd have handled this differently, keep the current style as a streetpass "random" mode and on top of it add an actual progression based mode where three stages from different worlds are permanently grouped together with their own high score boards and even a coin goal target for say a bronze, silver or gold star and nabbing all Golds shoves a silver Luigi statue on the title screen or something.
The random nature of the mode leaves highest scores to chance and the coin cap prevents shooting further, it's just such a damn shame because it's really quite fun.

Murrah

Banned
[post=41187488]Just keep this post handy.[/post]

Ha, I was just about to come in here asking which level had the secret exit to the 1up house in world 5, so thanks. They really do need to go back to the World system of telling you which levels have secret exits

But yeah, I'm done. 5 shiny save file stars, just under 100k coins. Assuming I keep streetpassing people I imagine I'll get to 1 million coins at some point considering coin rush is easily best part of the game, not to mention fastest way to get coins

I'm sure anything I can say about the game has already been said by people who can articulate their thoughts about it better, but one thing I do wanna say is that even though I had more fun with this than the original NSMB, there's like no memorable levels in this. I mean, I just got done playing and aside from stuff like Boohemoth, 3-B, gold airship level and a couple in 6 and
star
I don't really remember any of the levels. Which is really strange since this seems to be the most set-piecey 2D Mario

zroid

Banned
http://i2.cdnds.net/12/23/618x348/gaming_mariobroswiiu_2.png[img]

Maybe. Just maybe.[/QUOTE]

Well if nothing else, it certainly seems to indicate a cohesive world linking all the stages, which is pretty exciting. (I don't know why it's exciting, but it is!)

Wizpig

Handheld Mario Series

Great:
Super Mario 3D Land

Good:
New Super Mario Bros. 2

Average:
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land
In 2d Mario, after all these years, i found myself loving the original ones.
Meaning the memorable ones.
I stopped looking only at level design and ideas.

So, a game with the same music and world themes as another one (NSMB 2 - NSMBWii) is not very memorable.

On the other hand a few weeks ago i completed Super Mario Land 1 after all these years and fell once again in love with it; weird physics but not in a bad "continually correcting your movements" way, weird enemies, weird everything; the game is simply a classic because it's so different.
SML 2 of course is the "easy" one but the amazing graphics, music, bosses and memorable worlds make up for it.
SML 3 is a masterpiece, and so is 3D Land - speaking of which, 3D Land was the title that could've had benefits by having a coin rush like mode to improve replayability after 100%; a shame.

All the DX editions and GBA portings... i will not go that far; some are good, some aren't... skipping to NSMB DS i still think that's a game that had a sense, in being the first 2d Mario in years, having new assets, new music, new everything.
Bland, mind you, but NEW.

So, i really think NSMB 2 will be remembered by me as the worst handheld Mario game; scratch that, not the worst... the least memorable, and an example of a very cheap Nintendo effort. (themes, music... i can't get over the music...)
And it's not the first time really, i had these impressions with NSMBWii too.
Just like Animal Crossing WW -> City Folk

Btw finding myself playing trough it just to unlock more coin rush levels... while i agree with some of the complaints about it being random i still love this mode, really; I hope if you make a white raccoon Mario record in there it will show as one... only played as regular Mario so far.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just pickep up the game (in Italy it went on the shelves today).
Initial impression: better than New Mario DS. and that was my primary fear.
Let's go ahead in the mushroom kingodm!

So yeah I just finished it finally. Opened the two extra worlds. Not enough stars for
the Star World
. Didn't hate it. Didn't like it. Thought the final fight was stupid. Happily I bought it retail for 29.99 and just received an offer of 35 for it used on Amazon(after Amazon takes its cut I'm still out a couple bucks). On the upside, it was a huge improvement over NSMB DS, but that's not really hard to do. This game made me appreciate how good SML3D really is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got five stars for my profile now and a pretty nice level set to play around in in coin rush. Went with Star Pack after hearing Mushroom Pack is likely to be the most common.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
White Racoon records are marked as such, but while white racoon has its benefits, normal Mario also has in form of the gold flower.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just downloaded this on my brand new 16 GB Class 10 SDHC, excited to play it tonight. My expectations aren't high even though I throughly enjoyed NSMB DS. The thought of having the equivalent of that (enjoyment-wise) always on my 3DS makes me giddy, though I would prefer 3D Land-quality obviously.

JoeInky

Just downloaded this on my brand new 16 GB Class 10 SDHC, excited to play it tonight. My expectations aren't high even though I throughly enjoyed NSMB DS. The thought of having the equivalent of that (enjoyment-wise) always on my 3DS makes me giddy, though I would prefer 3D Land-quality obviously.

If you enjoyed DS, you should like this. It's not hard to top the DS version at all considering it's one of the worst 2D mario's, probably only just above SML.

bumpkin

It was even worse when I thought
AW SHIT I'M GOING TO THE ROOF TO BATTLE THE CLOWN COPTER IN A THUNDERSTORM FUCK YEAH
to that shit.
I was pretty disappointed about the lack of that, too. Didn't really expect it though since turtle shell tossing is only horizontal; no way to throw them upward.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Got five stars for my profile now and a pretty nice level set to play around in in coin rush. Went with Star Pack after hearing Mushroom Pack is likely to be the most common.

It's because 2-4 features a free Golden Fireflower, and a butt load of coins on the first stage. It's the easiest way to get the 30,000 coin max in Coin Rush. If you get lucky enough to pick up the stage with the Giant Mushroom after 2-4, you'll be able to use Golden Fireflowers in all three stages (Giant Mushroom places the Gold Fireflower back into the touch box).

I do want to try some of the tougher Star Pack stages, so I can have a better chance of winning in Streetpass.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anybody know which level is the best to coin-grind in, or is Coin Rush the best way to do that?

Coin Rush by far. When you grab the tip of the flag pole after a stage (or defeat the boss during the final stage), you double the amount of coins you had. So even if you're not doing one of the 'hardcore' grinding spots (ie; 2-40), you'll still be getting a bunch more coins. And after you beat the game
You get a free Golden Fireflower in Coin Rush, as a one time use
which makes it even better.

JoeInky

So I can't be bothered getting my Wii out to check NSMBWii, but does this game have some kind of new lighting engine on the models or something? I just noticed that all the models have different colour lighting on normal, lava and ghost house levels. I seem to remember the models in NSMBWii just looking like unshaded plastic throughout the game whereas these models seem to have some form of lighting.

E: And does someone have a link to the pack of the direct-feed NSMBU screenshots from the E3 2012 press pack? I want to check the models in that game.

Nevermind, a quick google search came up with the press kit page, thought it would have been taken down by now or something.

Yeah, NSMBU has that same weird plastic-ey sheen on all the models, what's up with that? They ruined Fire Snakes as well, they look great in 2 but they've gone back to the Wii models :/

Andrew J.

Does anyone else feel like 2 is harder than previous NSMBs? I had to make at least a dozen attempts at Bowser, and lots of the Star Coins are tricky as hell-not just in the sense that they're well hidden, but that you need really good timing just to reach some of them.

The Ghost Houses are way more complicated than I remember them being, too.

Kazerei

Banned
I started replaying NSMB, and I'm definitely finding the level designs to be more simple and straightforward. It's like they weren't trying to be particularly creative. The return of a 2D Mario experience was enough of a sell.

Does anyone else feel like 2 is harder than previous NSMBs? I had to make at least a dozen attempts at Bowser, and lots of the Star Coins are tricky as hell-not just in the sense that they're well hidden, but that you need really good timing just to reach some of them.

The Ghost Houses are way more complicated than I remember them being, too.

I feel the same way. I mentioned it before, but I feel NSMB2 is noticeably harder than previous entries, but this is offset by always having 300 lives at your disposal.

After playing through the game, I must admit the level designs are becoming stale. Fun game, but I do hope NSMBU is the last Mario game with this design ( it probably wont be with Nintendo's "If it aint broke don't fix it" mantra" ).

The biggest gripe I have is with the Coin Rush more. I applaud Nintendo for bringing in a new competitive element to the gameplay, but I feel they made too many missteps with this and I'll do my best to pinpoint them:

1. If you start playing coin rush mode as soon as it's unlocked, you're at a disadvantage because you aren't equipped with a
gold flower
. Why even bother trying to set a record at that point?

2. You're not rewarded by playing in the packs with more difficult levels. In fact, from my experience, the harder levels have fewer coins to collect, and collecting coins is the whole point of the mode

3. Only one record can be saved across all modes. This is a big gripe, because like I mentioned, collecting 5000 coins in a star pack is much more impressive than collecting 5000 coins in a mushroom pack. However, only one record can be saved overall, so you're not going to delete your mushroom pack record with a larger coin total for your star pack record with a slightly smaller total, even though that one may feel more impressive.

4. If you want to be rewarded for speed as opposed to collecting coins, you are out of luck. You could fly through the course as fast as you want, and it would hurt you more than help you. I tried to watch the coin total as I complete the level, and it looks like you get about 50 coins added to your total for every 100 seconds left on the clock. That's NOTHING. You're better off searching for coins the entire time and finishing the level with 1 second left. That's no fun.

5. This is kind of connected to gripe #3, but you can't even save a separate record for using white tail mario! sure, it's noted in your record if you made the record with the white tail mario, but I wish we could hold a record for regular mario and white tail mario.

6. In the end, no matter what pack you choose, you are majorly relying on luck! You are hoping to get the 3 levels with the most coins in them, but since it's all random, you have easily lost before your coin rush has even begun!

Well that's my top 6 complaints with the mode. I'm going to copy pasta this to Nintendo since I'm about to do the club nintendo survey. I'll have to shorten it though since they only allow 250 words haha.

DjRoomba

Banned
I feel the same way. I mentioned it before, but I feel NSMB2 is noticeably harder than previous entries, but this is offset by always having 300 lives at your disposal.

The game is definately difficult, which not enough people here are acknowledging. Maybe if youre going through every level in a speed-run way it gets easy, but try to get 3 star coins each level and this is a pretty challenging game.

Socreges

Banned
The game is definately difficult, which not enough people here are acknowledging. Maybe if youre going through every level in a speed-run way it gets easy, but try to get 3 star coins each level and this is a pretty challenging game.
Ehh, I think people aren't acknowledging it because they're not finding it difficult. The only real challenge for me has been finding certain secret exits and star coins. Otherwise I was mostly beating and clearing levels on the first try. There are just too many power ups. And if u buttstomp the coin box to get the suit each time, that's another way to protect yourself.

Maybe it's just easier because we've beaten NSMBW and have our NSMB skills well-honed....

zroid

Banned
I usually die a lot, but mainly because I'm often doing dumb shit like going for coins that I have no business going for, etc.

Practically infinite lives so I rarely have qualms squandering them with reckless abandon. Makes things more exciting :)

Socreges

Banned
The controls are pretty much perfect. Only problem for me has been trying to buttstomp but occasionally the circle pad won't recognize 'down'. Obviously not going to be as intuitive as a d-pad... which is in an uncomfortable spot, but that's a complaint for another thread.

zroid

Banned
The controls are pretty much perfect. Only problem for me has been trying to buttstomp but occasionally the circle pad won't recognize 'down'. Obviously not going to be as intuitive as a d-pad... which is in an uncomfortable spot, but that's a complaint for another thread.

XL seriously solves the d-pad problem. It's much more manageable and feels better too.

rcl66

White Racoon records are marked as such, but while white racoon has its benefits, normal Mario also has in form of the gold flower.

Do you not get the gold flower in gold rush if your playing as White Raccoon Mario? Any other difference besides it marking you finished as White Raccoon. I find it frustrating at first so I'd rather have the invincibility and tagged that way then die right now.

Top Bottom