• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Do you not get the gold flower in gold rush if your playing as White Raccoon Mario? Any other difference besides it marking you finished as White Raccoon. I find it frustrating at first so I'd rather have the invincibility and tagged that way then die right now.

White Racoon is essentially the most powerful ability due to the invincibility, so a gold flower would just relegate it into a stored item as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Doesn't start you with one. Invincibility sounds nice, but you can earn less overall I feel...

Drago

Just passed 850k coins. I have a Coin Rush pack that gets me ~13,500 coins a run so I will probably abuse it until I get to the million.

I will feel both accomplished and unaccomplished at the same time! :p

zroid

Banned
I kind of wish there were a way to manually indicate your preferred power-up priority. Although I suppose you could consider that an added layer of challenge, having to avoid touching certain power-ups, if the situation required it.

Drago

Nintendo is such a troll. I just got to a million coins (woohoo) and this was the message:

"What?! No Way!
1,000,000 coins!
Here's your Reward!"

And bam. A Gold Mario statue title screen is the big reward.

Dammit :lol

QyOOv.jpg
Also got the shine to my file stars back. Game is now 100% complete :D

Am I the first on GAF to get to the million? (outside of Japan, that is) Do I get anything special? ;P

15:32 on the Activity Log now. I beat all the levels and got all star coins from w-1 through w-5 and I'm working on w-6 now. I'm almost at 40k coins. I haven't really been chasing coins. That will be the last thing I go for.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Played heaps of the game. Verdict so far is that the coin gimmick is a disappointing throwaway and the lack of originality is an (predictable) let down, but the actual level design is surprisingly good. The levels are tight, there's a lot of secrets and stuff to discover, so they feel pretty dense in content even if they're short. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I do wish they hadn't essentially made New Super Mario Bros: Map Pack, but they've done a great job of making an excellent map pack.

Nintendo is such a troll. I just got to a million coins (woohoo) and this was the message:

"What?! No Way!
1,000,000 coins!
Here's your Reward!"

And bam. A Gold Mario statue title screen is the big reward.

Dammit :lol

Also got the shine to my file stars back. Game is now 100% complete :D

Am I the first on GAF to get to the million? (outside of Japan, that is) Do I get anything special? ;P
What levels did you spend most of your time in?

Foshy

50...BILLIONS?!? O___O

I don't know the worldwide sales, but taking in account the Media Create Sales, in Japan NSMB2 has been sold at least 912'597 times. If I had to guess, I'd say the worldwide sales are probably around 1.5 million now.

50,610,416,353 divided by that would mean that in average, every person has collected around 33k coins. That's not too unreasonable.

Dimorphic

Played heaps of the game. Verdict so far is that the coin gimmick is a disappointing throwaway and the lack of originality is an (predictable) let down, but the actual level design is surprisingly good. The levels are tight, there's a lot of secrets and stuff to discover, so they feel pretty dense in content even if they're short. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I do wish they hadn't essentially made New Super Mario Bros: Map Pack, but they've done a great job of making an excellent map pack.

But I don't feel like they should be charging $69.95 AUD for a map pack.

zroid

Banned
Yay got my five sparkling stars and 500,000 coins.
Do I grind to a million? Hmmm.....
Might leave it, then it gives me more incentive to play the DLC

I am nowhere near completing the game yet, but that is a good point. After acquiring the stars, I will probably play coin rush for a bit, and then wait for the DLC to help reach 1 million.

Boogiepop

There's no chance that you earn 1-ups from Coin Rush mode, is there? Not looking forward to maxing out my lives if you can't get any there...

Drago

There's no chance that you earn 1-ups from Coin Rush mode, is there? Not looking forward to maxing out my lives if you can't get any there...

No 1ups in Coin Rush mode.

Just do this to max lives out

What levels did you spend most of your time in?

Mushroom Pack in Coin Rush, I got 1-4, 1-2, and 1-Castle, and I managed to net 12,500-14,000 coins a run. Just kept playing that pack until I got to the million. A bit tedious, but it wasn't all that bad :)

zroid

Banned
I have 600 lives and I'm at W-5, just playing normally :U (ie not fiending for 1ups)

and haven't touched the special worlds yet, although they are unlocked

ghibli99

How would you stack it up against NSMB DS & Wii? I tended to like the DS original more than most folks on GAF, and have only played the first couple worlds on Wii. Thanks.

Boogiepop

5 stars on my profile, clocking in at just under 12 hours. Definitely an enjoyable game, but it is definitely a shame that there wasn't more to it. My biggest gripe is probably just that they went the route of "jump in a spot that is in no way indicated in order to find the secret exit" a couple of times, which is just frustrating/annoying game design.

Tried a coin rush and it seems okay. Don't like that it's random stages though instead of trying to beat your best score for a set or something. Don't think I'll aim for the million now, but I may come back to it later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Secret exits are nonsense. First there is no indication which worlds have multiple exits, so you end up searching all worlds (because half the time the secret exit is nowhere near that dot you see on the map)

Secondly they are just cheap. World 2 for example, to find the hidden exit you have to hit an invisible block that isn't on your normal route through the level.nhow are you supposed to know that? It's like a point and click adventure where you end up clicking on every damn pixel to find a clue, are we supposed to just bounce around like an idiot randomly, hoping to reveal the secret? If the rest are that bad I'm not sure I want to look for them.

Not fond of invisible secret coins that only turn up off screen after hitting a P block, for a limited time.

Yeah, invisible block stuff is annoying. Found all the other coins myself but ended up having to look up most of the invisible block ones.

Just collected all coins and opened all exits, apart from the aforementioned gripe my opinion of the game is higher after doing everything. Found the special world a bit disappointing though. Not sure if I want to grind for lives just to get the final star, sat on about 600 at the moment. Don't think I can be bothered with coin rush due to all the flaws others have mentioned in this thread. A shame, it had potential.

daakusedo

I'm the kind of player to take all star coins before going to the next level, so when I got a message telling me I got all the moon coins I understood there was some carelessness, but this time I really skipped a lot, at least 5, and two in one ghost house where I probably forgot the level after getting to the secret exit.
The two last levels were hard, the castle being harder than 9-7 from nsmbw if you ask me, and quite more longer.

So, I'm not in the hurry to get 1 millions coins, at 400000 now and we'll see if playing casually will get me to it before the future courses.

Seems people complained about incentives about this focus of coins, but for me it's a great idea just by the fact it as simple as getting coins is cool, the sound of it, running, jumping, doing some hidden actions to get them, all in a kind of generous nature : geyser, rain, line, wall of coins, it's the incentive.
And it add a layer of density in the levels you notice even more in coin rush.
So in a time of story driven game, an idea like that is more than welcome, at least by me, and once again could totally be a standard for the next mario game.

Drago

Yeah, invisible block stuff is annoying. Found all the other coins myself but ended up having to look up most of the invisible block ones.

Yeah, after I beat the game and went looking for the few Star Coins I missed through video guides, I noticed almost all the ones I missed were due to leaps of faith or invisible blocks, heh. Sorta cheap way to hide them :/

Secret exits are nonsense. First there is no indication which worlds have multiple exits, so you end up searching all worlds (because half the time the secret exit is nowhere near that dot you see on the map)

Secondly they are just cheap. World 2 for example, to find the hidden exit you have to hit an invisible block that isn't on your normal route through the level.nhow are you supposed to know that? It's like a point and click adventure where you end up clicking on every damn pixel to find a clue, are we supposed to just bounce around like an idiot randomly, hoping to reveal the secret? If the rest are that bad I'm not sure I want to look for them.

Not fond of invisible secret coins that only turn up off screen after hitting a P block, for a limited time.

I just look at a guide if I don't find something by going through a level a few times. IGN has a really nice Wiki that even works well with the 3DS browser while playing. That's what I've been doing.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/new-super-mario-bros-2

Just hit the red Nav button to see the sections.

I read a post earlier from someone saying they have a coin rush pack that yields them over 13,000 coins per run, how do you get that ('cuz I really need this if I'm gonna go for a million and not have it take months)? Is it just luck or depends on who you Streetpass? I haven't played coin rush much yet and have yet to tag someone with the game so I'm still a bit in the dark on this.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Pretty OK so far, seems painfully obvious it was supposed to be a DS game tho. 3D is awful as well. Guess I'll just play through it once, since even bad Marios have that at least going for it :)

XPE

Completed the game, overall another excellent Mario game but my one complaint is the 3D effect, I hate that its makes the backgrounds blurry.

Also does any one else love the look of the boo's is this game I don’t know what the effect is but they look nice =D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pretty OK so far, seems painfully obvious it was supposed to be a DS game tho. 3D is awful as well. Guess I'll just play through it once, since even bad Marios have that at least going for it :)

Why is it obvious it was supposed to be a DS game?

They only make one NSMB per system.

They said last year they were developing one 2D and one 3D Mario game for 3DS.

The game isn't a copypasta from the DS, though many people think that. The assets are new, not ported up or reused at all.

I like the depth of field concept for the 3D, I think it's really great, not awful. But, plenty of people hate depth of field in all games, so I guess that's a common dislike.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Why is it obvious it was supposed to be a DS game?
Because it sure looks like it. I'm taking Super Mario 3D Land to compare here. How many things can you name that can't be done on the DS?

The game isn't a copypasta from the DS, though many people think that. The assets are new, not ported up or reused at all.
New in the technical term, sure. But it's all been done before. First world so far, nothing feels new yet. Not even the sounds I'm hearing "/, which quite frankly I find the worst

I like the depth of field concept for the 3D, I think it's really great, not awful. But, plenty of people hate depth of field in all games, so I guess that's a common dislike.
Naaaaah man, come on! There isn't any depth of field going on safe for objects close to the gameplay layer. The background layer looks blurry to begin with (actually either upscaled or some kind of filter was put over it to create that blurry look even without 3D), and putting 3D on simply makes them even blurrier. 3D for the most part loses detail instead of adding DOF. There's no excuse for it either, because plenty of 2D platformers make excellent use of 3D that add proper depth. I will say that the 3D wasn't that bad in the castle if you kept the slider up around 1/3, but if you go full it just goes blurry :/ You don't need to make the image blurry, that's why you have a 3D screen for christsakes

Keep in mind I only played first world so far, but I'm seeing nothing imaginative or new yet. Super Mario 3D Land's beginning was a masterpiece in comparison if you look at the work done on both games. I don't know if it'll improve later on, maybe my opinion of it will sway around but playing this the main catch of the whole game is "get dem coins". And I admit getting 400 coins in a level made me think "yeah that's pretty cool" for a split second but then you realize you are playing a Mario game and the goal shouldn't be a fucking collect-a-thon. It just seems like a diversion from the, so far, bad platforming. It literally screams this game is made for casuals (I don't like the hold jump to glide with tail either, in 3D land it worked because you moved around in a 3D space, but they could've kept the control like Mario bros 3 here), and I really hope later levels turn up some good difficulty like previous modern Marios did, I know I shouldn't expect it from Bosses but some better level design I really want in this

nmanma

Because it sure looks like it. I'm taking Super Mario 3D Land to compare here.

New in the technical term, sure. But it's all been done before. First world so far, nothing feels new yet. Not even the sounds I'm hearing "/

Naaaaah man, come on! There isn't any depth of field going on safe for objects close to the gameplay layer. The ackground layer looks blurry to begin with (actually either upscaled or some kind of filter was put over it), and putting 3D on simply makes them even blurrier. 3D for the most part loses detail instead of adding DOF. There's no excuse for it either, because plenty of 2D platformers make excellent use of 3D that add proper depth

Keep in mind I only played first world so far, but I'm seeing nothing imaginative or new yet. Super Mario 3D Land's beginning was a masterpiece in comparison if you look at the work done on both games. I don't know if it'll improve later on, maybe my opinion of it will sway around but playing this the main catch of the whole game is "get dem coins". And I admit getting 400 coins in a level made me think "yeah that's pretty cool" for a split second but then you realize you are playing a Mario game and the goal shouldn't be a fucking collect-a-thon. It just seems like a diversion from the, so far, bad platforming. It literally scream this game is made for casuals (hold jump button to glide with the tail? C'mon, insulting to original Mario 3 fans), and I really hope later levels turn up some good difficulty like previous modern Marios did, I know I shouldn't expect it from Bosses but some better level design I really want in this

A collectathon is when there are lots of unique and quantity-fixed collectibles, coins definitely don't count, maybe star coins, but that's the only one, and there are only three per stage

I found this game introduced a lot of new mechanics and interesting level ideas that weren't done before, but I played most of the game, so it's kinda useless for us to have this discussion as of now

You know what this game does really well?

Providing instant gratification. It's kind of like grinding in the Metroidvanias. You get the golden flower or the golden box or the golden rings and start racking up your coin totals and the game makes you feel like you're genuinely good at the game.

For a handheld title I have no problem with that.

Socreges

Banned

I found the World 2 secret exit without issue once I knew which level it was. The space just looked 'suspicious' (irregular) so I went down and started jumping.

Agreed that there should be more indication as to which levels have secret exits. Otherwise you could be left hunting around the wrong levels.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If anything, it looks far more like NSMBWii to me.
OK, no lie. I thought the end castle of world 1 looked good, it wasn't doing anything for me outside of GFX, but the graphics really worked in that level.

I think the regular levels have some sort of paper/watercolor filter or something that makes it look blurrier than normal. I really wish they used 3D models instead of 2D layers in the background, would've made it look that much better.

A collectathon is when there are lots of unique and quantity-fixed collectibles, coins definitely don't count, maybe star coins, but that's the only one, and there are only three per stage

I found this game introduced a lot of new mechanics and interesting level ideas that weren't done before, but I played most of the game, so it's kinda useless for us to have this discussion as of now
Yeah my bad, just the coin collecting that is

I'll definitely check back after finishing, level design is what I am keen about most so that's what I look for in this game

edit, second world is a desert jeez. Someone just tell me now if all of the same used themes are coming so I can keep my hopes down :p

Roto13

I can see myself potentially reaching a million coins in Coin Rush mode. I've made like 75,000 today. I think I had 80,000 when I finished collecting everything in the main game and getting lives. It was definitely less than 100,000.
Do you not get the gold flower in gold rush if your playing as White Raccoon Mario? Any other difference besides it marking you finished as White Raccoon. I find it frustrating at first so I'd rather have the invincibility and tagged that way then die right now.

White Raccoon Mario in Coin Rush mode is basically EAsy Mode. Lower "risk", but your potential to get coins is lower too. No gold flowers, no kicking gold koopa shells, no blasting your way to coins with Bob-ombs, etc. However, it's much easier to reach the top of the flagpole and double your coins.

Ragus

Banned
Just finished it.

Well, it was another NSMB game, with level design between DS and Wii versions. So, not bad, but not exactly brilliant. The game was ok... and just ok. I don't know, I think I'm burned out when it comes to this series. 2D Mario needs to move on.

A Golden Robot in a Tuxedo asked said:
I read a post earlier from someone saying they have a coin rush pack that yields them over 13,000 coins per run, how do you get that ('cuz I really need this if I'm gonna go for a million and not have it take months)? Is it just luck or depends on who you Streetpass? I haven't played coin rush much yet and have yet to tag someone with the game so I'm still a bit in the dark on this.

?

Luck, you select a pack and hope the three levels you obtain work in your coin collecting favour, assuming you get one that does well for your coin income you can save it as your record for the mode and replay that pack as much as you want as long as it's your saved record for coin farming.

BowieZ

Banned
I still am not sure how someone in Japan spoiled the million coin prize the day the game came out. I mean, that's 50,000 coins every hour playing 20 hours straight.

Top Bottom