• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Kato

Kudos earvcunanan!

Besides the usual "I AM HYPED" for a new machine and a new Mario what really gets me is a OT featuring screenshots of a HD/2D Mario

Glorious day!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah my setup is messed up. Wifi is really weak in my living room. So will have to get the adapter or an extender.

The USB LAN connector gives a very fast ethernet option for the Wii. I used it in an apartment with no wifi for a bit and it worked quite well.

Neifirst

Wait, we already know it works with the new pro controller, right?

No, it doesn't support the new pro controller, at least according to the demo unit I played at Best Buy (and I guess the back of the box). Just the GamePad and Wiimote.

Twinduct

The USB LAN connector gives a very fast ethernet option for the Wii. I used it in an apartment with no wifi for a bit and it worked quite well.

Yeah guess that would be my best option ... now if I can only find one of those adapters locally.

deleted

No, it doesn't support the new pro controller, at least according to the demo unit I played at Best Buy (and I guess the back of the box). Just the GamePad and Wiimote.

What? That doesn't make any sense at all! You use R1 on the GamePad instead of the shaking motion, why won't that work with a Pro Controller?
I have 3 Wiimotes, will have 1 Gamepad and wanted to add 1 Pro Controller to the mix to be able to play with 5 people. Seems like a stupid restriction.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hoping I can get this for a good price at launch but if that fails I may just cough up the dough. I'm not ashamed to say I just love my Mario games.

dan2026

Baby Yoshi looks high as a kite!

Also is this game actually going to have any challenge?
It seems like every Mario game I play these days is just too easy.

TriGen

Great OP!

I'm so hyped for this game, definetly my most anticapated game of the year. I have actually never played one of the "new" SMB games -- so I'm long overdue. I also haven't went back and played an old-school 2D Mario in quite awhile (3D Mario man mostly), so my body is ready.

I know some people complain about the art style, but I'm really into it. I think the backgrounds look great, and in one of the earlier trailers where they show the Mario gang getting thrown into a tree -- I thought the animation looked spectacular. The HD just makes the coins and stuff pop so much more, everytime I saw one of the earlier "new" titles everything looked so falt, but not this time, in my opinion.

DigitalOp

Banned
If this is more like New Super Mario World rather than Nsmb , count me in

Videos and early footage was misleading, could either be more of same or do we get an expanded world map to play in?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is this the game will Mario will finally avenge his murdered wife and child, and kick the drinking habit?

Kenka

That's how you make an OT.
Nintendo Land |OT| is coming soon, please wait a couple of hours.

Is this the game will Mario will finally avenge his murdered wife and child, and kick the drinking habit?
C'mon, a sober Mario would not save a dumb princess who gets kidnapped each time she takes a nap.

Mr. Fix

If this is more like New Super Mario World rather than Nsmb , count me in

Videos and early footage was misleading, could either be more of same or do we get an expanded world map to play in?

I wouldn't rule out a secret world.

BhmJ8.jpg

TriGen

I've heard that it was fantastic, but it came out at a time when I was playing through a lot of other games. So I never got around to playing it. And I intentionally avoided NSMB2 since it was so close to NSMBU's release.

Exact same for me. NSMBWii was just bad timing for my gaming habits, and even though I've been wanting to play a 2D Mario for the past year I figured I should wait and let NSMBU blow me away.

I hope this game is more innovative than the recent NSMB titles.

Yes, the Wii version was FUN, but it wasn't innovative. NSMB2 was an embarrassment for Nintendo, you could almost call it creative bankruptcy. The best Mario game in recent history - by far - was Super Mario 3d Land. I hope this game takes some of the craziness from 3d Land or Galaxy.

jimi_dini

Nah.
It's just like the games before. Stomping guys. Taking drugs. Stealing money. Headbutting blocks. And fighting a hardcore fire-breathing kidnapping maniac.

BowieZ

Banned
I hope this game is more innovative than the recent NSMB titles.

Yes, the Wii version [sic] was FUN, but it wasn't innovative.
You kidding me? NSMBWii was definitely innovative: co-op with physical implications / coin battles / bubbles / motion platforms / ice flower and ice blocks / super guide.

Forkball

I enjoyed NSMB2, but it's definitely the weakest in the series. I'm hoping this one will be the best, which should be easy since it takes a lot of inspiration from World.

Hmm. I thought NSMB2 was miles better than NSMB.

It is but it's not better than NSMB Wii IMO, and it's not better than 3D Land. Some really really great ideas though in some of the levels, and those 'runner' levels where you get fired out of the warp canons are incredible -- I wish the DLC levels were more of those instead of coin battle levels.

Playing NSMBU at events had me at 'zero' excitement, but everything they've shown in Nintendo Directs looks great.. I've no doubt it'll be amazing fun with others at the very least, and taking nods from Mario World is just great

beril

Back of the Japanese box, in case anyone cared.

1-5 players
14 MB required for save data
Number of saves: 3 (shared among all users)
Supported video output: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p (this isn't the resolution it runs at)
Supported controllers: Wii U gamepad, Wii Remote, Wii Remote MotionPlus
Nintendo Network: Sharing of experiences through Miiverse

That's weird, they've already said that save data on WiiU is tied to the user accounts. So I was assuming it would be like the 360. Then again I hate the way most 360 games handles savedata, so if it's possible for games to do the traditional three slot system from the NES-days, that is actually positive for me.

Sorry, I actually need confirmation on the developer. I looked up NSMBW and it said "Nintendo EAD", but I read somewhere that it would be the same team for NSMBU. Clarification on this?

yeah unfortunately i have no source either but i always thought EAD Tokyo were the Galaxy team and that the NSMB team was a different one from that? maybe i'm wrong though not sure...

Back of the Japanese box, in case anyone cared.

1-5 players
14 MB required for save data
Number of saves: 3 (shared among all users)
Supported video output: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p (this isn't the resolution it runs at)
Supported controllers: Wii U gamepad, Wii Remote, Wii Remote MotionPlus
Nintendo Network: Sharing of experiences through Miiverse

OgfuZ.jpg

Does this mean that it doesn't support the Pro controller?

Ein Bear

God I'm so ready for this game, it's been too long since we've had a day 1 Mario game on a new Nintendo console! Can't get over how beautiful it looks :3

Still feel like shaking Nintendo and asking them what they're thinking with the Toads though. Such rubbish, lazy characters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
when do we expect a 3D mario on WiiU? Does this buy Nintendo a couple of years, or will they be alternating 3D and 2D annually?

I think that was confirmed a few weeks ago. Something to do with minor motion controls still being in the game requiring the GamePad and/or Wiimotes?

I thought I read that when playing it on the gamepad you use a shoulder button instead of waggle, so there is a 'no motion' option - so it should be fine with a pro controller (ignoring the fact that they should have put motion in the pro anyway..)

MicH

Great OP! Love the title, lol.

Really looking forward to this game. The Wii version was AMAZING when played with friends. Hopefully this is too.

I thought I read that when playing it on the gamepad you use a shoulder button instead of waggle, so there is a 'no motion' option - so it should be fine with a pro controller (ignoring the fact that they should have put motion in the pro anyway..)

You can use the ZR to control Baby Yoshi's abilities and Squirrel Mario, but Tezuka mentioned in GI that there are situations where motion controls are required.

Bumhead

Banned

Oh right. First I've heard of that, but that is a nice solution.

Still not sure that changes the Pro Controller situation though. Every time the issue has been raised it's been said the game doesn't support it. Be even more galling if there's no real reason why it doesn't.

Captain N

Oh right. First I've heard of that, but that is a nice solution.

Still not sure that changes the Pro Controller situation though. Every time the issue has been raised it's been said the game doesn't support it. Be even more galling if there's no real reason why it doesn't.

Does this game even support the Pro Controller?

Top Bottom