• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Hoodbury

I haven't played a Mario game since Mario 64, let alone any of the New series ones. Can someone clear something up for me? Can I play 2 player co-op through out the whole game? Or is the multiplayer stuff something where you have to beat the level in the single player story mode first or something like that?

codhand

I haven't played a Mario game since Mario 64, let alone any of the New series ones. Can someone clear something up for me? Can I play 2 player co-op through out the whole game? Or is the multiplayer stuff something where you have to beat the level in the single player story mode first or something like that?

Full campaign I believe.

http://www.co-optimus.com/game/2754/nintendo-wii-u/new-super-mario-bros-u.html

I'm wondering this same thing about Ninja Gaiden 3.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but since the game saves the replay of the challenges you complete, and you have the ability to share; I assume you are able to share through Miiverse. If that's the case, isn't this the first we've heard of posting anything other than text and graphics onto Miiverse? I would assume this will be posted as a video, or at least game content.

It seems to be a direct sequel to NSMBWii, where you could play 1-4 players in any level without unlocking anything (aside from normal level progression of course).

I would prefer that Nintendo just straight up ported music from SMB1,2,3,World with their prehistoric sound quality than continue with the bah-bah's. Mario 3D Land had great music, I'm not sure what's going on here.

Yes, the game has some required motion control.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Can't wait to play this, the fact that it takes inspiration from SMW and is a day one title gives me serious SNES launch nostalgia.

Agreed with the poster above though that they should give us more remixed classic SMB tunes instead of just the constant awful/mediocre soundtrack.

Only the reused themes can dampen my burning spirit for this game, how the hell can they justify using those old tracks over and over?! it drives me up the bend and I actually don't mind the themes themselves. At the very least I hope they've been spruced up in a similar fashion to the NSMB2 title screen.....it's not even going to be spruced up is it?
Of course the only removed themes were my favourite ones but oh well, i'm more than ready for new overworld/athletic themes, I just wish the rest of the soundtrack followed suit.

Now everything else on the other hand has me hyped up, some may call me crazy but I think this game has the potential to be the best 2D Mario game yet, the repetitive nature/burnout of various parts in the NSMB games is really the only thing holding it back but honestly as long as the levels are great i'm happy enough.
I really hope the Star/Special World doesn't suck in this one (if it's in, it damn well better be!), i'm still wounded by the ease of NSMB2's Star World.

So hopefully I can get a Wii U in the near future for this game, it's enough for me to jump in, well that and my faithful launch Wii is slowly perishing, i'd like to unload all my downloads onto a Wii U as soon as possible.

I would prefer that Nintendo just straight up ported music from SMB1,2,3,World with their prehistoric sound quality than continue with the bah-bah's. Mario 3D Land had great music, I'm not sure what's going on here.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Mario 3D Land's music was pretty bad versions of other songs, not to mention that awful theme. The game was pretty much NSMB-ified both visually and in terms of audio. It's like an NSMB version of Galaxy.

The Pro Controller exists because there are some people that hate motion controls. So that's for them.

WAGGLE WAGGLE WAGGLE

No seriously it should have some form of gyro. Pro controller just means 'multiplayer controller' so am not sure why you'd remove functions devs might use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Even with Nintendo offering 10% off digital downloads for premium pack owners, NSMBU is still cheaper online with an average of 20% off. Might still try digital though just to see how many pikmin it takes to download a full game

VICI0US

Mario 3D Land's music was pretty bad versions of other songs, not to mention that awful theme.

super mario 3d land music.. bad? what is this blasphemy!

but seriously, that games beach/underwater theme gets stuck in my head all the damn time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSR5rROsvL0

it was also made by the same EAD team that developed galaxy 2, so I certainly don't see it as an inferior mario game, but to each their own

TreIII

Roy_Koopa_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U.png

I'll help myself to this! Thanks! Can't wait~!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wait the pro controllers don't have motion control?

The hell?

I would expect more from your username ;-)
But yes, those controller dont have any kind of motions sensors. They didnt support them with NSMB and wont with NSMB U.

Still sucks...would love to play it with my SNES Classic Controller.

Yay, my thread title suggestion was used! :)

Might not pick this up day 1 but I will definitely be getting it before the year ends.
Who am I kidding? DAY 1

pswii60

Even with Nintendo offering 10% off digital downloads for premium pack owners, NSMBU is still cheaper online with an average of 20% off. Might still try digital though just to see how many pikmin it takes to download a full game

Digital isn't only more expensive, but you also don't have the option to sell the game on when completed. I don't normally like hanging on to games when I'm done with them, I'm not a collector. You also run the risk of having trouble transferring to a new console should your existing Wii U break etc.

The biggest benefit of digital IMO is for games like FIFA and Tekken etc, which you may want to jump in and out of in between other games without having to fumble around to find and swap the disc etc.

EDIT: Apologies, this is kind of OT really. On a more related note, I'm anxiously awaiting the Euro Wii U release as this will be my first and only game at launch. But boy, what a game. This is my Christmas sorted :)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
*gasp* I can buy the game digitally day one and cheaper (i have Deluxe). Wtf how am I learning of this now?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NSMB2 introduces less to the formula than any of the NSMB titles, but the actual level design really surprised me. By the end I felt it was a tighter, more inventive (within the confines of the established assets and mechanics) than NSMBW and of course NSMB. The lack of innovation and its heavy asset re-use is about the only serious flaw I have with the game design (various coin mode related complaints, but they're different). I was very surprised by how solid of a platformer it is.

So much so that I'm wary of NSMBU matching it. Even though I know NSMBU is bringing more to the table, which is fantastic, that's not enough. The level design needs to keep up to scratch. Fingers crossed it does.

I feel almost the exact same way. The level design in NSMB 2 is very well rounded and the star coin placement is just about perfect.

I'm not so worried about NSMBU but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I expect it to be closer to the Wii version in that some levels are inconsistent with the rest.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bah-humbug

If there was ever an option to turn off music on the Wii-U, it better be this game
Seriously. I played through most of NSMB Wii with the music disabled while piping audio from my PC instead. Good music adds so much to a platformer and I always felt that the terrible tracks used in the NSMB actually detracted from the experience. They're that bad.

MicH

With the Premium digital download promotion, I might just get games from the eShop - as long as they're not too overpriced. NSMBU might be my first as it's around £40-45 in retail. If it's £45 on the eShop I'll get that.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. Missed it. Great OT. Can't wait. It's such a tough choice on which I'm more excited for between this and Zombi U. Mario will without a doubt be my first played though. First game in my console always has to be Mario.

Those screens are fucking gorgeous.

EDIT: Before anyone jumps on me, I'm talking more about the presentation and clean look of it more than anything. I understand other games (like Rayman) are "technically" more impressive.

You know, after playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star this morning I'm even more disappointed with the music in this game. How do they have the talent to make such great music, but then just decide not to do it in the flagship title for their new console?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seriously. I played through most of NSMB Wii with the music disabled while piping audio from my PC instead. Good music adds so much to a platformer and I always felt that the terrible tracks used in the NSMB actually detracted from the experience. They're that bad.

But then you can't appreciate the goombas dancing in time to the tune

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
First time a new Mario title has been around for a new console launch since the N64, right?

Nintendo has their shit together this time.

Top Bottom