• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Sorry, I actually need confirmation on the developer. I looked up NSMBW and it said "Nintendo EAD", but I read somewhere that it would be the same team for NSMBU. Clarification on this?

EAD is split into a variety of teams including EAD Tokyo which developed the Galaxy games, Jungle Beat, and 3D Land. EAD 4 develops Pikmin and the NSMB series. NSMB2 was developed by some new people at EAD4 while NSMBU is being developed by the veteran team that made NSMBW at EAD4

Could someone do some wizardry and Photoshop this image:

602px-Nsmb2_starman_mario.png

into my avatar in the lower right replacing the 2?

OG avatar image for anyone who needs it:

icpqxHid86nas.png

Here you go! :)

I9G4n.png

I had to cover your existing avatar a bit more since if I would have made the Mario any smaller it would have looked bad :/

And nice OT, until Wonderful 101, Pikmin and Bayonetta come out this will be the main reason I will get a Wii U day one in 18 days and I regret nothing! Though I really hope this whole Super Mario World vibe the game had recently is not a fluke because I'm a avid Mario fan but NSMB never really caught me sadly but I'm willing to give this a go either way. Yes I am this faithful :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
NSMB2 introduces less to the formula than any of the NSMB titles, but the actual level design really surprised me. By the end I felt it was a tighter, more inventive (within the confines of the established assets and mechanics) than NSMBW and of course NSMB. The lack of innovation and its heavy asset re-use is about the only serious flaw I have with the game design (various coin mode related complaints, but they're different). I was very surprised by how solid of a platformer it is.

So much so that I'm wary of NSMBU matching it. Even though I know NSMBU is bringing more to the table, which is fantastic, that's not enough. The level design needs to keep up to scratch. Fingers crossed it does.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NSMB2 introduces less to the formula than any of the NSMB titles, but the actual level design really surprised me. By the end I felt it was a tighter, more inventive (within the confines of the established assets and mechanics) than NSMBW and of course NSMB. The lack of innovation and its heavy asset re-use is about the only serious flaw I have with the game design (various coin mode related complaints, but they're different). I was very surprised by how solid of a platformer it is.

So much so that I'm wary of NSMBU matching it. Even though I know NSMBU is bringing more to the table, which is fantastic, that's not enough. The level design needs to keep up to scratch. Fingers crossed it does.

NSMB2 added very little to the mix, but did a lot with it.

NSMBU is bringing a lot of new stuff, so...might be weak?

I'm always a little wary, but even bad Nintendo games are usually good.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
NSMB2 added very little to the mix, but did a lot with it.

NSMBU is bringing a lot of new stuff, so...might be weak?
"If it ain't broke" and such.

Man, it'll be so hard for me to resist picking this up. Had a blast playing NSMBW with family and friends over Christmas and I'm sure this would be much the same.

SpokkX

So has the music we have heard confirmed to be placeholders? They have been the exakt same tracks as in NSMB Wii (at least Castle, Ghost house, desert etc)

Is there really no new music in this game except for the title track (which is new..)?

Roo

So has the music we have heard confirmed to be placeholders? They have been the exakt same tracks as in NSMB Wii (at least Castle, Ghost house, desert etc)

Is there really no new music in this game except for the title track (which is new..)?

Same music as the previous games.
Bowser's final fight will have a different tune tho :p

hachi

Banned

Agreed on all counts. It's criminal how little appreciation was shown here for the level design in NSMB2, which I agree was more tightly constructed across every screen than the wide open spaces of the Wii game. The addition of the Coin Rush mode clearly made the designers think about the placement of every block and coin in a more focused manner than usual, and the other little innovations that encourage speed (like the coin hat) had a tremendous effect on gameplay.

As beautiful as the world map and general assets of this new game look, I still haven't seen any tightly constructed levels yet. But I'm sure there are many surprises left to be seen.

Not getting a WiiU right now, but will be keeping a close eye on things. Probably a few years up the road when my son is old enough to play.

Also...the OP says it supports 1080p but the game doesn't run at 1080p. I might be wrong here (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), but if it doesn't run at 1080p, then why even put 1080p as a supported resolution? Seems wrong to me.

zroid

Banned
Challenge Mode is going to be my addiction, come Sunday

Also...the OP says it supports 1080p but the game doesn't run at 1080p. I might be wrong here (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), but if it doesn't run at 1080p, then why even put 1080p as a supported resolution? Seems wrong to me.

It's normal, PS3 games say the same thing. The game does output at 1080p, btw, it's just not natively 1080p (as in, you don't get more detail that would be afforded by the higher resolution)

Ein Bear

Why on Earth do Nintendo keep re-using the soundtrack for the NSMB games? It's such a massively lazy move, and seems completely out of character for the company.

Roo

really? same music? not even remixes from 1,2,3, World etc?

Just the crappy tunes from NSMBWii??

To be fair we know next to nothing about the soundtrack but so far every single video I've seen has the same music so I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't think they are placeholders since GameXplain is doing preview videos from the retail game Nintendo sent them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
To be fair we know next to nothing about the soundtrack but so far every single video I've seen has the same music so I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't think they are placeholders since GameXplain is doing preview videos from the retail game Nintendo sent them.
That's incredibly disappointing.

I mean, if the music were good to begin with, I could deal with it...but it's one of the worst soundtracks this generation. I absolutely detest the music in the NSMB series.

zroid

Banned
Why on Earth do Nintendo keep re-using the soundtrack for the NSMB games? It's such a massively lazy move, and seems completely out of character for the company.

That's incredibly disappointing.

I mean, if the music were good to begin with, I could deal with it...but it's one of the worst soundtracks this generation. I absolutely detest the music in the NSMB series.

Just to clarify, the main theme, which is the one we hear in most footage, is new to NSMBU. IIRC, the athletic theme is also a variation of the new main theme, and I believe I've heard at least one other variation on it.

It appears that some of the music is re-used, however. It's likely that the main theme and its variations are the only original pieces created for this game, although I don't know for sure at this point.

AndTAR

Back of the Japanese box, in case anyone cared.

1-5 players
14 MB required for save data
Number of saves: 3 (shared among all users)
Supported video output: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p (this isn't the resolution it runs at)
Supported controllers: Wii U gamepad, Wii Remote, Wii Remote MotionPlus
Nintendo Network: Sharing of experiences through Miiverse

Thanks for that! I'm glad we can be sure the old "blocks" unit is gone.

(3DS uses it, so there was a danger it would carry over..)

Anth0ny

Totally agreed. If NSMBU can top 2, I'd be pretty happy.

I still expect more out of launch games from Nintendo, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just to clarify, the main theme, which is the one we hear in most footage, is new to NSMBU. IIRC, the athletic theme is also a variation of the new main theme, and I believe I've heard at least one other variation on it.

It appears that some of the music is re-used, however. It's likely that the main theme and its variations are the only original pieces created for this game, although I don't know for sure at this point.
What I want to know is WHY Nintendo somehow deems this acceptable? I truly do not understand why they feel it is OK to re-use an entire soundtrack across different games especially when the music in question is of poor quality (not that they would agree with that statement).

I find it baffling in light of the effort they put into Super Mario Galaxy. I wouldn't expect that level of quality in NSMB, but why not aim for something different?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for this.

Going to have to wait about a month after release date though! Still, it looks there's going to be a ton of stuff to do.

It's normal, PS3 games say the same thing. The game does output at 1080p, btw, it's just not natively 1080p (as in, you don't get more detail that would be afforded by the higher resolution)

So what is the native res?

Weren't those 8 just mirrored/more difficult versions of the first 8?

Some levels were completely different, or sent you on previously inaccessible routes. Some levels were like the comets in Mario Galaxy - ie. being chased by dark mario, speed runs etc.

It's such a good game, and great value. The setup of the standard 8 worlds is deceiving.

I know BowieZ is a fan of the new mario music, and I like one or two tracks, but I'd love them to totally change tack with the next game... some of the tunes are getting old. None of them will be the mario theme to a new generation of kids... they're just not good enough.

Tim-E

NSMB2 was a tight, fun game that I enjoyed quite a bit. This look like it has a lot more life to it and I can't wait to pick it up this weekend.

Thank you.

Mr. Fix

Some levels were completely different, or sent you on previously inaccessible routes. Some levels were like the comets in Mario Galaxy - ie. being chased by dark mario, speed runs etc.

It's such a good game, and great value. The setup of the standard 8 worlds is deceiving.

Woah, this I did not know.

I really hope the ending segment is as amazing as some early reviews said.

And I hope the SMW tirbutes are well represented. If the last castle theem is the same as the amazing SMW one, and the credits are a remix I would die of extreme happiness.
Too bad it will probably be more wahwah.

codhand

Bought NSMB2 yesterday played for 2 hours or so. Great game. I had one of those revaluations that went something like, it's a Mario game with a Metascore of 78, it can't possibly be anything but a super polished and fun game, I was right, and I think people doubting the Wii U version will face a similar crossroads.

This game looks great. I don't see how someone can say the Wii U launch lineup is terrible with a great new 2D Mario in it.

I am...I got my fill of 2d mario on the Wii and 3DS.

Give me a 3D version of Mario that adequately uses the 2nd screen, or give me Zelda.

This launch lineup blows...I'll still pick this up and probably ZombieU...But I wish there was a launch game that I was truly stoked about.

terrisus

Definitely getting a "New Super Mario World" vibe from this, which is a great thing.

Have it preordered for day one, will be there.

So very this. I wasn't expecting much NSMB2 other than a quick and enjoyable 2-d Mario game. What I got was some of the most creative level design of any of the NSMB franchise. It was just fantastic in all respects.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
i'm very hyped for this. It looks great, the map is so beautiful, level design seems on par with NSMB2 which can only be a good thing and multi modes look so funny.

hoping in a lot of secret levels, I want this game to last forever

Raven77

I admittedly have not been following this much but jumped in here and saw all the names of the worlds and got super excited because, well, they all sound really fun....

Then I saw the screenshots. Are these just bad shots or something? They are all super dull. Looks like an up-resed 3D's game.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just wondering where all the good shots are. I KNOW I saw something around E3 with water in it (maybe the jungle level?) that looked way better than the shots in the OP.

Jarnet87

It'll be so hard to hold off on buying a system solely for this game

I had my launch pre-order solely for this game but cancelled it. I'm gonna go to my local Toys R Us Sunday Morning and if they have a basic system going to plop down the $300 to play NSMBU. Game looks amazing, and could be like Super Mario World.

Top Bottom