• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Anyone have a list for which stages have secret exits without spoiling how to get them. Need to get levels for the first 3 worlds but I don't even know where to look.

Acorn Plains 2: Tilted Tunnel
Layer-Cake Desert: Spike’s Spouting Sands
Sparkling Waters: Ghost House Haunted Shipwreck
Frozen Glacier: Swaying Ghost House
Soda Jungle: Bridge over Poisoned Waters, Which-Way labyrinth, Painted Swampland, Deep Sea Ruins
Rock Candy Mines: Grinding Stone Tower
Meringue Clouds: Spinning Spirit House
Peach’s Castle: Meteor Moat

how do I know those, you may ask? Well, I found 'em
on a guide, half of them actually :(

Chopper

Acorn Plains 2: Tilted Tunnel
Layer-Cake Desert: Spike’s Spouting Sands
Sparkling Waters: Ghost House Haunted Shipwreck
Frozen Glacier: Swaying Ghost House
Soda Jungle: Bridge over Poisoned Waters, Which-Way labyrinth, Painted Swampland, Deep Sea Ruins
Rock Candy Mines: Grinding Stone Tower
Meringue Clouds: Spinning Spirit House
Peach’s Castle: Meteor Moat

how do I know those, you may ask? Well, I found 'em
on a guide, half of them actually :(
That's 11. There are 13. I know that
Walking Piranha Plants
has one too.

klier

Guys I need a little help:

I just unlocked Star Road, but I can't access the Acorn Plains level even though I have all the coins in every level??? I don't know how to pay it now....

klier

Thanks buddy. This game is full of secrets. I'll have to replay every level carefully and examine every corner, I guess :D

Het_Nkik

Honestly, I think that World 1 secret exit that leads to the secret level is... borderline impossible to find without a guide. Especially if you don't even know what level it's on. Nintendo needs to bring back the different colored stage selection icon when a level has a secret exit.

Davey Cakes

Honestly, I think that World 1 secret exit that leads to the secret level is... borderline impossible to find without a guide. Especially if you don't even know what level it's on. Nintendo needs to bring back the different colored stage selection icon when a level has a secret exit.
Someone on Miiverse posted "looking for the secret exit" on the stage in question, so I knew exactly where to look. In my opinion, Miiverse isn't cheating. Heh.

But even then, finding the exit required me to really think outside the box, because
it's like a secret within a secret

Interesting that World 1 has the trickiest secret exit of them all.

Boogiepop

Finally beat/100%d the main game and tried my hand at the challenges. Managed to gold the first two time trials, but the third one I keep coming in about half a second too slow. Either way, looks like there's some awesome/awesomely hard stuff still tucked away in the game. How many challenges are there total?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Finally beat/100%d the main game and tried my hand at the challenges. Managed to gold the first two time trials, but the third one I keep coming in about half a second too slow. Either way, looks like there's some awesome/awesomely hard stuff still tucked away in the game. How many challenges are there total?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
With Land bundled and Zombi U really catching my attention, I skipped Mario at launch.
Lucky me, within few days it will be Christmas, and Mario will join my Wii U!

Chopper

fuck! really? Bloody incomplete guide :mad:)

what's the 13th?
According to a post earlier in the thread:

1. Acorn Plains-2: Tilted Tunnel (to Acorn Plains-Blooper: Blooper's Secret Lair)

2. Layer-Cake Desert-4: Spike's Spouting Sands (to Layer-Cake Desert-Ice: Piranha Plants on Ice)

3. Sparkling Waters-Ghost House: Haunted Shipwreck (to Sparkling Waters-Leaf: Skyward Stalk)

4. Frosted Glacier-Ghost House: Swaying Ghost House (to Frosted Glacier-Fliprus: Fliprus Lake)

5. Soda Jungle-2: Bridge Over Poisoned Waters (to Soda Jungle-. [to Soda Jungle-6/7])

6. Soda Jungle-Ghost House: Which Way Labyrinth (to Soda Jungle-Para-Beetle: A Flight of the Para-Beetles)

7. Soda Jungle-4: Painted Swampland (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

8. Soda Jungle-5: Deepsea Ruins (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

9. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Grinding Stone Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-6: Thrilling Spine Coaster)

10. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Screwtop Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-. [Rock-Candy Mines-Castle: Roy's Conveyor Castle, backdoor])

11. Meringue Clouds-Ghost House: Spinning Spirit House (to Meringue Clouds-Castle: Ludwig's Clockwork Castle)

12. Peach's Castle-1: Meteor Moat (to Peach's Castle-4: Firefall Cliffs)

Plus the one in
Walking Piranha Plants
= 13.

So the one you're missing is
Rock Candy Mines, Screwtop Tower

daakusedo

There is only superplay for the first level now, if they cover all the game and coming from nsmbw, it's very likely, that will be a channel to follow.
But they have to release a video for the last nsmb2 dlc pack, I've spent 3 hours on it and went through the last level only once. I particularly want to know how fast they are against those hammer bros...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nintendo opened a YouTube channel dedicated to NSMBU hint videos and super play videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPaE--7Geds

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewMarioUJA

Surprised this isn't one of the challenges. It'd fit right in.

A couple of those hits seem close to impossible.

One of the team also put this on Miiverse, complete with attached video, hopefully they'll add that for normal users too somewhere down the road.

That squirrel play was ace, took out all enemies, never touched the ground.

Video posting to Miiverse would be the best thing ever, oh man.

Davey Cakes

The 1-up challenges are a real bitch. I had a surprisingly hard time with the stone-eyed koopa one, even though it was only the second challenge on the list! For some reason I'm bad at endurance and will usually screw up even if I have the basic groove down.

I feel like some of these challenges are pushing it, though. At some point it becomes redundant. Like with the bullet bills, you have to get 60 1-ups in a row. Really? Seems like a bit much.

Boogiepop

Oh man, just cleared out the first 5 in all the challenge modes but boost mode (with golds) and... there's some challenging stuff in there. I was debating whether or not this game was good enough to beat out NSMBWii as my favorite 2D Mario before, but the challenge stuff pushes it over the edge. Soooo good, even if a few challenges are a little eh (mostly the more pattern based 1-up challenges).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
final world is a bitch. I'm down to 6 lives, which is something I hadn't experienced in ages. Those Star Coins are devilishly placed dammit

Sagitario

Does this game have shiny stars in the save file? Does it work like NSMBWii or NSMB2 [meaning, you can get the shine back if the super guide appeared]?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does this game have shiny stars in the save file? Does it work like NSMBWii or NSMB2 [meaning, you can get the shine back if the super guide appeared]?

I don't think so. Your stars stay shiny as long as you don't activate the Super Guide. Don't know if you can get the shininess back after.

BowieZ

Banned
Am I right in thinking that no secret exits involve swooping underneath the flagpole like SMW? :/

I started a separate file for testing and did the quickest path to the last stage. No difference.

So the quickest path is these 17 levels, right?

Acorn 1
Acorn 2
Blooper
Jungle 1
Jungle 2
Jungle Tower
Jungle Ghost
Parabeetles
Clouds 1
Clouds 2
Clouds Tower
Clouds Ghost
Clouds Castle
Peach 1
Peach Cliffs
Peach Elevator
Final Battle

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Superstar Road
2 is the most obnoxious level in the game... finally got all the star coins last nite, was up till 4AM trying :p

dock

I really hope there are DLC hooks in this game, but I agree that I have plenty to be getting on with. I'm gradually getting stars here and there - only got 2 worlds with all stars so far. I expect they'll wait at least a few months until there's DLC - this will probably be a product with a long lifespan on the shelves.

The challenges are pretty amazing too, although the lack of online scoreboards is criminal. This game could be the equivalent of Trials HD if Nintendo wanted it to be.

Am I the only person who is afraid of using his
penguin suit, helicopter hat and tiny mushroom
items? Also, can I get more P-acorns anywhere?

Lots of free time is apparently a dangerous thing when I have a new Mario game.

baUMl.jpg

I ordered the game Wednesday afternoon, had it delivered Friday evening, and started it that night (after midnight, so technically Saturday). It's Sunday morning now. The play log says I did it in 13:08. Thirteen hours of video games in a thirty hour period is bad. :(

I looked up three of the secret exits and seven star coin locations, but other than that, it was all on my own. I didn't die much either. It was way too easy after having just played through NSMB Wii and 3D Land again. I already knew everything to look for.

I guess I'll start on the challenge stuff next!

Everything else aside, it was a tremendous amount of fun. I hope I can play it all again soon when I have some friends around for multiplayer. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat the game. Have to say the staff roll song was a bit of a disappointment after the funkiness of NSMB2's.

Does anyone have a pattern for Attack of the Bob-ombs? I can't even get remotely close to gold.

On a side note, has anyone managed to gold every challenge? After I finish ACIII, I plan on knocking them out. Pretty close to being done.

Beat the game. Have to say the staff roll song was a bit of a disappointment after the funkiness of NSMB2's.

This is sad to hear, we the few who appreciated the "Doo"

2 more days and I can finally jump in, i've had the games box taunting me long enough, I feel more taunted by it than the Wii U itself.

So, I just beat world 9-8 today. All that was left was getting the star coins in the Superstar World. I was low on lives so I went through all of the toad houses to get some 1ups. My 6 year old decides he wants to play. I told him not to play on my save file because I did not want him to waste my lives(he is not very good at these platformers). I had copied my save file for him when I was about halfway through the main quest, so I told him to play on that. That was not good enough for him so he tried to make a copy of mine(the one w/ 3 stars and I was just missing the star coins on the Superstar World). Instead he copied his file over mine and erased mine................................................................FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!@!@!@!@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that, I needed to rant and blow off some steam.....

Shahadan

So, I just beat world 9-8 today. All that was left was getting the star coins in the Superstar World. I was low on lives so I went through all of the toad houses to get some 1ups. My 6 year old decides he wants to play. I told him not to play on my save file because I did not want him to waste my lives(he is not very good at these platformers). I had copied my save file for him when I was about halfway through the main quest, so I told him to play on that. That was not good enough for him so he tried to make a copy of mine(the one w/ 3 stars and I was just missing the star coins on the Superstar World). Instead he copied his file over mine and erased mine................................................................FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!@!@!@!@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mz12h.jpg

Easy way to get lives is beginning of Soda Jungle 1.

Top Bottom