• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally beat the main game 100%. It was really great and I probably put it up there with SMW as my favourite. We played co-op all the way through with two players (no boost mode though), and just like NSMB Wii, it really adds a bunch to the experience.

Really the only disappointing parts were
the fight with Bowser.. I preferred the chase in NSMB Wii.. and the final Star Road level being very easy. Underwhelming even.

Final SR level in NSMBW was easy as hell too, keep in mind.

thomaser

...Am I the only one who REALLY likes the main theme and don't mind that it's used in this game too? Of course, I would have preferred something new, but it's so good that it's ok with me to use it again. I keep humming it all the time, and it's just so catchy and positive. One of the best tunes in the 2d Mario series for sure.

Madouu

...Am I the only one who REALLY likes the main theme and don't mind that it's used in this game too? Of course, I would have preferred something new, but it's so good that it's ok with me to use it again. I keep humming it all the time, and it's just so catchy and positive. One of the best tunes in the 2d Mario series for sure.

For what it's worth, I really like the main theme for the original game. Haven't played this one yet.

Davey Cakes

The main theme for NSMBU is great, but it is heavier on bahs than the original NSMB theme. That's almost surprising; I guess Ninty didn't get negative feedback.

Honestly, I never minded the main and athletic themes from this series, but some people really hate them.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Well, the new main stage theme for NSMB U and its athletic version are new tunes, even if the have 'bahs'.

And it's a really good tune IMO. The original main theme for NSMB/NSMB Wii is also a really good tune, bahs or sound quality aside.

Personally, I think the reason for the bahs and the other tracks that are reused in NSMB U isn't an issue of development time, but branding. For all the complaints from some players, various music tracks are iconic for the NSMB series so they kept using them.

Given how good the new main them for U is, I would have liked to see new level themes for all the tracks in that style, I'll admit.

Yeah, the Game Pad can absolutely be used in Single Player, just not for controlling characters in multiplayer.

I know, it makes zero sense, but it is what it is. :(

Seriously, I don't get it. The sole rationale I can see is that they didn't want kids to fight over who used it. But it's dumb, I was going to play with my girlfriend last night, but I only have one Wiimote so after 5 minutes of touch screen platforms we moved on to Nintendo Land.

Davey Cakes

Use the force. ;)

But seriously, I'd start by looking all around the map to see if there are any areas where secret or non-highlighted pathways could exist. I was lucky enough that I missed an exit which highlights a "ghost bridge" so it was obvious, but not all of the extra paths are like that. You may have to infer.

You could also just spoil it a little and look at a screen cap of the completed world map, if anyone has posted one.

Or, maybe there's a list out there somewhere that tells how many secret exits there are per world. That way it's not really spoiled, you just know where to look.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got a medal for all the 1up challenges. They're all gold except for the last two which are bronze and silver, and which I can (relatively) easily get gold in soon. Then it'll join the special challenges as another type I've completely golded.

The final four time challenges and final coin challenge are really good at putting me in a bad mood though, haha. I don't know if I want to try for gold in all the boost challenges.

Gambit

I am having a great time with challenge mode. Especially when it goes against every convention Mario games have established over the years. (No touching enemies or gold, etc).

What I find most difficult is the coin collecting.

Anyway, yesterday, for the first time, I used a Mii instead of Luigi (or Mario for single player). Surprisingly, I found it quite amusing to have Gendo Ikari jump on Goombas and turtles. It was just so bizarre.

man, Sparkling Waters is so bad. Bad in a good way. Can't find those sodding coins for shite
There are a few tricky ones there. If you have trouble with underwater sections you should grab a baby yoshi, these beasts eat cheep cheeps and bloopers for breakfast (their singing is also quite adorable for the underwater music).

Got a medal for all the 1up challenges. They're all gold except for the last two which are bronze and silver, and which I can (relatively) easily get gold in soon. Then it'll join the special challenges as another type I've completely golded.

The final four time challenges and final coin challenge are really good at putting me in a bad mood though, haha. I don't know if I want to try for gold in all the boost challenges.
Congrats, these get quite hard. Haven't beat any challenge mode yet (still busy with SP) but what I played was definitely a challenge.

Just played coin battle with a friend for the first time. What a blast.

Also, the Co-op challenges just might be the best thing to happen to Mario since...ever. My friend and I had an amazing time. There's a real sense of working together that I haven't experienced in any other game. Both players have to be on top of their game and really be able to feel how the other person will react to you and vice versa.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
94? What the hell. I have 91. Where are these other three???

TBH if you're stumped, I'd just look up a list of levels with secret exits. You don't need to see where in the level they are, just which levels have them.

They aren't hinted on the map with a different coloured dot, and most of them have such a convoluted path to somewhere else on the map, its difficult to identify suspects from the usual 'empty plot' nearby.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
There are a few tricky ones there. If you have trouble with underwater sections you should grab a baby yoshi, these beasts eat cheep cheeps and bloopers for breakfast (their singing is also quite adorable for the underwater music).

damn, never thought of that! Great advice, thanks!

I beat the game last night (not 100% though) and I really enjoyed it

Something about the small cutscenes in this one is of such higher quality than I'm used to with the NSMB games... In NSMB2, you bop an enemy, he bounces off the bottom of the screen and Mario runs on. Rinse, repeat... in this game, I've quite enjoyed all the little touches.

The introductory cut-scene with the big bowser fist coming out of the airship really set the tone. I really dig the way you have to scale castle steps to board each airship, each of them marked with a big fuzzy masthead of the Koopa kid you're about to fight... and
boarding the final one, with the fist trying to attack you was very cool too.
. I loved the way Boomboom evolved throughout the game, and the mixup of big Sumo Bros and stuff to fight. NSMB2 with its basic Koopa Kid fights and Reznor rehashes feels really cheap and lazy in comparison now.

I loved the unexpected interludes
the battleship level as you progress to the forest, the procedural cloaking of the castle
etc. Bowser Jnr
was a really likeable enemy in this game. The submarine battle and boxing glove battle were quite cool really. His little conversation with MagiKoopa, hanging him from the clown-copter and telling him to revive Bowser, was both cute and funny - instantly brought a smile to my face... I even loved his involvement in the final bowser battle...
- which was epic, by the way. I think my favourite final boss is probably from 3D land, that whole chase, the music - everything - was just phenomenal, but this is pretty good. The little cut-scene of
Bowser and kids trying to escape in a broken airship reminded me of those little post-castle cutscenes in Mario World, where Mario would blow the castle up and occasionally get it wrong or whatever...

The Mushroom House
once you've cleared the game that shows you statistics
should be in every Mario game IMO. I think that might keep me playing, to try and max out some of them. I've yet to start on
Superstar Road
, I still have plenty of challenges to do, plenty of boost mode things to beat, and I've not even touched the multiplayer yet...

Very happy. Easily the best in the NSMB series.

Chairhome

I beat this game with my son last week (he's turning 3 next week, so you can imagine I had to carry him through a lot of the stages, but he's actually not too bad on his own). Loved it. Need to go back and play through the stages we missed, and find all the exits.

A friend of mine came over and we started trying out some of the challenges. The Boost Mode challenges were great. Really requires coordination and trust. Can't wait to get into those sometime during the holidays. Really great game.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
but the gamepad can be used for single player? how does this make any sense? lol. thats annoying, i had my fiancee all excited about co op and now im going to need 2 wii remotes, not cool!
I found a nintendo non-motion plus original wii mote for $15 bucks at a used books/movies/games store. Got to find another, but, yeah, works for Mario well enough.

Hopefully I can find one for like 10$.

They had some that were different brands. I could grab one of those.

Think the reason the gamepad can't be used for player control in multi is that Nintendo wanted the option for someone to play on the GP at all times in a 'pick up & play' type scenario.

Finally beat the ice-world last night - playing in multi-player makes it so much tougher, especially when one person is much less skilled (me).

Tokieda

My friend and I just did a 15.79 run of When Waddlewings Attack, pretty much a perfect run... I'm curious if this is a world record, anyway to find out?

unless one of you guys posts a better time :p

Lyude77

Think the reason the gamepad can't be used for player control in multi is that Nintendo wanted the option for someone to play on the GP at all times in a 'pick up & play' type scenario.

Finally beat the ice-world last night - playing in multi-player makes it so much tougher, especially when one person is much less skilled (me).

Yeah, that sounds about right. Still, I think player control should be an option - few people are going to have pick up & play type scenarios often.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Still, I think player control should be an option - few people are going to have pick up & play type scenarios often.

I think it probably should have too - something I will be mentioning when I do my Club Nintendo survey. Along with requests new world themes, new music, & new boss mechanics.

Currygan

I spent 22 lives trying to get the third Star Coin at Grinding-Stone Tower

so far, Rock-Candy Mines has been rocky as a rock and with no sign of candy

tsab

I spent 22 lives trying to get the third Star Coin at Grinding-Stone Tower

so far, Rock-Candy Mines has been rocky as a rock and with no sign of candy

In case you don't know where to look

hint level:
A)
Size does matter

B)
Look for green pipes

C)
Look on your right after passing the boulders falling on the green pipes

Currygan

In case you don't know where to look

hint level:
A)
Size does matter

B)
Look for green pipes

C)
Look on your right after passing the boulders falling on the green pipes

oh yes, I spotted the
Mini-Mario pipe
It's just that getting there is so goddamned HARD

I pretty much abandoned the castle and went for Thrilling Spine Coaster, thinking it would be easy stuff. Easy my arse!

tsab

oh yes, I spotted the
Mini-Mario pipe
It's just that getting there is so goddamned HARD

I pretty much abandoned the castle and went for Thrilling Spine Coaster, thinking it would be easy stuff. Easy my arse!

It's easier if you use ZR/ZL while in the air keep more air momentum while jumping

Forkball

Flight of the Parabeetles

tumblr_m4wroqWGcq1rpntky.gif

Chopper

Flight of the Parabeetles

tumblr_m4wroqWGcq1rpntky.gif
Ha ha. I agreed with you the first 20 times I died, but I think it's one of my favourite levels in the game. I felt like such a boss getting the third star coin and getting through the lower pipe at the end. The intricate placement of each beetle nicely illustrates some of the sweet level design this game has.

Currygan

It's easier if you use ZR/ZL while in the air keep more air momentum while jumping

I'll probably try that, thanks. But I always go in full panic mode when playing as Mini Mario. It's just too floaty

however, I discovered a couple of things. If you manage to finish the level as Mini Mario, World 2 Castle and Spine Coaster have secret paths/pipes with loadsa money and a 1-UP

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think this game's Parabeetle level was easier than Wii's, but that may be my skills improving.

-PXG-

The main theme for NSMBU is great, but it is heavier on bahs than the original NSMB theme. That's almost surprising; I guess Ninty didn't get negative feedback.

Honestly, I never minded the main and athletic themes from this series, but some people really hate them.

NSMB 2 on the 3ds has even more bahs than this game.....

Did they update this game again? I was playing this morning and whenever I died I started getting little Miiverse comments about the level popping up on a black screen before seeing Mario getting kicked back to the map. It wasn't doing that for me before.

I beat the game a few days ago. I loved it. I can't wait to see how amazing 3D Mario will look!

Yeah, if they can pull off something this smooth and clean looking on the U with a launch deadline looming, can't wait to see what they do with more time with the hardware.

Davey Cakes

Did they update this game again? I was playing this morning and whenever I died I started getting little Miiverse comments about the level popping up on a black screen before seeing Mario getting kicked back to the map. It wasn't doing that for me before.
I'm pretty sure there weren't any new updates since the first one. I got those Miiverse comments a few times as well.

I think they're triggered in specific areas of stages, but I could be wrong. With some of the star coins that are "do it right or you die," messages would pop up. For example, the star coin in Peach's Castle 1 that's in a lava pit. You die in that pit, you get a message, but not if you die in other parts of the stage.

Boogiepop

Anyone have a list for which stages have secret exits without spoiling how to get them. Need to get levels for the first 3 worlds but I don't even know where to look.

Top Bottom