• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well others have mentioned collision detection problems too.

Throughout my entire 5-star run I never experienced any issues. Go figure.

Also, I looked it up and apparently there aren't any penalties for having the Super Guide appear, but there are penalties for using it. If your file had a nice sheen to it, you're all set!

Yessssssssssssssssss just like I hoped/thought!

Ranger X

I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering if you have your HDTV misconfigured or something.

You said it. I really wonder what's going on for him to. Personally I'm impressed by the visuals. I mean, I really have this feeling of "omg, playing in CG". It really fucking looks awesome.

I am absolutely loving this so far. It is gaming at its purest.

I'll confess - I've been off the Mario series since like...Super Mario World. Didn't have an N64 (played 64 on DS, not the best version), had Sunshine but didn't like it much, and wound up selling my Wii before NSMB came out, only played a bit of multiplayer on that at my family's place. Don't have a 3DS.

So I can't comment on this within the context of recent games, only to say that as a guy who had kind of lost interest in Mario, this got me right back. It's fun as heck and one of those rare games that I don't want to put down, and want to pick right up again once I have.

The challenge level seems to be right about where it should be, even the castle at the end of the first world was kicking my ass, but I always felt like it was my fault. When it was finally time for bed last I sat there saying "just one more life!" until nearly 2am.

That's what games are supposed to be all about.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You said it. I really wonder what's going on for him to. Personally I'm impressed by the visuals. I mean, I really have this feeling of "omg, playing in CG". It really fucking looks awesome.

The evolution of the art style they went with here does seem as if they're shooting for replicating the look of Nintendo's CG character and environment renders from the last decade or so. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you.

The game is clean and polished enough visually that it does generally come across as CG cartoon-like. There's hardly a rough edge or polygon elbow to be seen anywhere in the game. That some people think this looks just like a Wii game seems to betray an inability to distinguish between art style and technical construction. The character models in this appear reasonably high polygon, and are animated very well.

About the only stage I would say looks too much like NSMB Wii is Sparkling Waters. Very nice waterfall backgrounds at some points, but overall it doesn't seem to benefit from the visual upgrades as much as some worlds and its theme isn't as refreshed and overhauled as the other environments. The ghost ship is great though.

Arc07

Also, I looked it up and apparently there aren't any penalties for having the Super Guide appear, but there are penalties for using it. If your file had a nice sheen to it, you're all set!
I may have hit the block but hit NO when it asked me to see Luigi run the course. Hopefully that counts.

JaseMath

Seriously. The game isn't a reference visual title by any means, but it looks leagues better than any other NSMB game. I've been pretty impressed.

The leaves outside of Soda Jungle on the map look fucking awful though. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I may have hit the block but hit NO when it asked me to see Luigi run the course. Hopefully that counts.

According to this, hitting "No" still allows you to keep your shininess.

Does getting all the star coins unlock more levels or anything? Or is it just an extra star on your save file?

Getting all the star coins in worlds 1 to 8
unlocks Superstar Road, which has 9 levels.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Or it might be a world-by-world basis like NSMB Wii was, I dunno. I got all the coins before going there.

jarosh

I don't get all the difficulty talk. You guys must all really suck at videogames. Outside of the challenge mode there's nothing terribly difficult in this game. I never got below 90 lives, not even
in Superstar Road.

tassletine

I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering if you have your HDTV misconfigured or something. The game has no collision detection problems whatsoever and is clearly the best looking in the series (not only due to HD, but also the backgrounds.)

No I don't have my TV misconfigured. Even if I did you would know that it runs perfectly well on the pad.

What I'm talking about are last gen quality graphics (the number of ploygons used) and some of the graphical effects. The game looks great, that's not what I'm disputing.

The characters all look good but some of the background assets are quite flat looking, with a low polygon count, especially on the map. A good example of the low grade fx would be the 'wobbly' effect on the clouds. It looks VERY last gen. Again I'm not criticising the actual art direction, just pointing out some lazy looking work.

These aren't really gripes though. I could care less about graphics. What I am stunned and a very saddened about though is the collision detection. It's not on.
I've played these games all my life and completed every single one, including lost levels on the original NES. I'm very good at these games.
If you take a lot of risks with the game (ie push the character to try and do tricky maneuvers constantly) you soon realise that Mario can't be pushed in the same way he could in other titles. I stand by my comments about collision detection as I've seen it happen quite a few times.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you take a lot of risks with the game (ie push the character to try and do tricky maneuvers constantly) you soon realise that Mario can't be pushed in the same way he could in other titles. I stand by my comments about collision detection as I've seen it happen quite a few times.

And I stand by mine. The collision detection is flawless and I wouldn't have been able to get a gold medal in this challenge if it was anything less than perfect. And I push the moves and tricks allowed to their maximum in that video.

And I've played every Mario platformer from the original, even including spinoffs like Super Princess Peach and Wario Land, except Sunshine. Except for some slight tweaks when on ice, this game is a carbon copy of the Wii game's collision detection, feature set, and physics. NSMB2 is a little off in comparison.

I don't get all the difficulty talk. You guys must all really suck at videogames. Outside of the challenge mode there's nothing terribly difficult in this game. I never got below 90 lives, not even
in Superstar Road.

I will freely admit you're better than me if you didn't lose 20 lives on Run For It, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean I suck.

Bragging and lording yourself over others isn't very becoming jarosh.
zWVbK.gif

batbeg

I'm not going to dispute your other claims as they're rather preferential and vaguely defined, but I think the challenges and control required for some of them easily disproves this. This might be the tightest, most accurate Mario out there. Madness.

Jucksalbe

Banned
in Superstar Road.

It's still quite a lot harder than the other games in the series (outside of 2, haven't played that), in NSMB Wii you'd have a hard time to get below 98 lives.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wii was harder to me. Poison area, Desert, and the last area are much harder. The last area especially as I died quite a bit there.

Davey Cakes

in Superstar Road.
Well, I'm the same way. Once I got 90+ lives I never dropped below 90. The closest was in Superstar Road. I think even NSMB Wii had me drop to 85 one time or something.

But just because I'm adept at the game doesn't mean I can't detect the challenge. I'm good enough that I can beat the game without too much trouble, but I still notice when it's pushing more complex challenges on me with the level design. It's not a giant leap in difficulty, but the change is certainly apparent.

Basically, it's not that I had a hard time. I never had to put more than a few tries into a stage, with the exception of a couple of Superstar Road's stages when I got cocky. That said, I recognize that I'm generally good at these sorts of games, and I'm well-trained after beating NSMB Wii, Galaxy 2, and 3D Land 100%, but that doesn't leave me blind to the idea that the game will be noticeably harder for a lot of other people.

jarosh

I will freely admit you're better than me if you didn't lose 20 lives on Run For It, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean I suck.

Bragging and lording yourself over others isn't very becoming jarosh.
zWVbK.gif
Yeah, Run For It was a bit of a struggle. But I definitely didn't lose more than 10 lives. It was a fun level, but it wasn't terribly memorable.

It's still quite a lot harder than the other games in the series (outside of 2, haven't played that), in NSMB Wii you'd have a hard time to get below 98 lives.
I wouldn't say "quite a lot". Compared to NSMB 2 maybe. But it's really only marginally more difficult than NSMB Wii.

Well, I'm the same way. Once I got 90+ lives I never dropped below 90. The closest was in Superstar Road. I think even NSMB Wii had me drop to 85 one time or something.

But just because I'm adept at the game doesn't mean I can't detect the challenge. I'm good enough that I can beat the game without too much trouble, but I still notice when it's pushing more complex challenges on me with the level design. It's not a giant leap in difficulty, but the change is certainly apparent.

Basically, it's not that I had a hard time. I never had to put more than a few tries into a stage, with the exception of a couple of Superstar Road's stages when I got cocky. That said, I recognize that I'm generally good at these sorts of games, and I'm well-trained after beating NSMB Wii, Galaxy 2, and 3D Land 100%, but that doesn't leave me blind to the idea that the game will be noticeably harder for a lot of other people.

Yeah, again, it's a bit more challenging, sure. But I really wish there were more levels in the MAIN GAME like the later Superstar Road ones. Those were a ton of fun.

So yeah, maybe my two favorite levels in the entire game are Spinning Platforms of Doom and Fire Bar Cliffs.

Davey Cakes

Any chance that Nintendo will release DLC for NSMBU like they have been for NSMB2? Maybe some of the thrill-seekers would like to see a super hard stage pack.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Any chance that Nintendo will release DLC for NSMBU like they have been for NSMB2? Maybe some of the thrill-seekers would like to see a super hard stage pack.

Yes.

I can't decide whether I want more challenges or not...

Davey Cakes

"The mechanism for adding courses is already there..."

Good to know! I'm usually against DLC (especially the on-disc type) but for certain Nintendo games I'm all aboard. Can't wait for what they're cooking up. No doubt we'll see a "hard" level pack.

Wii was harder to me. Poison area, Desert, and the last area are much harder. The last area especially as I died quite a bit there.

I remember those last two levels in the final world to be a bit tough.

I can't say whether the Wii U version is really harder or not. I did play with more patience with the Wii version and this one I'm just speed running every single level.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is the tablet required for this game?

Trying to decide on what controllers I want to use with 3 people.
The tablet isn't required for anything but Boost Mode.

And there's no "deciding" on what controllers to use in multiplayer. You have to use remotes. The only thing the tablet can be used for in MP is Boost Mode.

Davey Cakes

Challenge mode is ridiculous. I couldn't imagine finishing all of these, never mind within a reasonable amount of time. I'm struggling on the 2-star speed runs for pete's sake.

I did beat two Boo Ballets at least. That's my accomplishment for the day.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
fuck Soda Jungle-1's third coin. Imma gonna get that with the goddamned Squirrel Suit. i know, it's cheap tactic, but I never seem able to time my jumps with those bloody Gargantuan Koopas

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
You're supposed to use the starman you get right before that part.

I can't jump for shite while I'm invincible, lol. The increased speed and jumps always end up with me falling into some pit because I get too carried away with the awesomeness

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, that one did take me a couple tries as rainbow Mario. Actually, that might have been the hardest star coin to get for me, since it relies on pure skill/timing.

Exeunt

I got all five stars in the game last night; even though I played New Super Mario Bros. 2 over the summer I had a lot of fun with the Wii U title. Sure the presentation's a little lacking—the most visually interesting level comes and goes in the
Soda Jungle
— but the graphics are really clean and I feel like the levels themselves are well done.

But speaking of levels, does anyone else feel like the worlds after
Soda Jungle
were perhaps rushed to completion? The world I mentioned has the most levels in the game and a slew of secret exits… But then the worlds that follow have fewer levels, a lack of
secret levels
, and the final world has little more than a handful of levels to play through. It just feels odd to have "World 5" so fleshed out and then have less content in the levels up to the final boss; sure the later worlds are more challenging—as they should be—but it struck me that maybe part of getting the game ready for launch meant axing some unpolished content from the final worlds.

But overall I'm really happy with the package. In my opinion this would be the 2012 Mario to pick up, platform considerations aside. This one just feels like a tighter experience that is both more polished and expansive—and the secrets themselves feel a little more "fairly" hidden whereas New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a little sneakier and (at times) more frustrating in my opinion.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Man, what the effffffff.

The tablet only does boost mode in multiplayer mode? Really? Really? Really?

Now I need another wiimote for when someone doesn't want to boost.

Madouu

You guys saying you finished the game without ever dropping under 90 lives, was it while collecting star coins too? (excluding farming lives in easy levels).

I wasn't sure if I wanted to get this game, I'm not that much of a 2d mario player so I went ahead and grabbed the original NSMB for my Nintendo DS and I really like it so far. Finishing the game was pretty easy but collecting all the star coins is both challenging and really fun, I'd argue that's where most of the fun comes from. Is it the case with this game too?

Man, what the effffffff.

And this is also the other reason why I haven't grabbed the game yet. Want to play local coop but I just have one wii remote :/

Davey Cakes

You guys saying you finished the game without ever dropping under 90 lives, was it while collecting star coins too? (excluding farming lives in easy levels).
Yes. The star coins get tricky but not tricky enough to burn ten lives on. Replenishments just kept coming, too. The game is very generous with 1-ups.

I never went out of my way to farm extra lives.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Most of the fun for me in this game probably came from Challenge Mode. It's so, so, evil, but so, so brilliant at the same time~ <3

I've lost count of how many times I've said "These level designers are dicks" while playing Challenge Mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished the main game with all star coins. I usually speed though and then come back for another run at the star coins, but for some reason it felt better to get them as I went through.

Great level of challenge for me, occasionally I'd lose lots of lives on a few particular star coins, but acorn plains 1-2 is always there to stock back up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally beat the main game 100%. It was really great and I probably put it up there with SMW as my favourite. We played co-op all the way through with two players (no boost mode though), and just like NSMB Wii, it really adds a bunch to the experience.

Really the only disappointing parts were
the fight with Bowser.. I preferred the chase in NSMB Wii.. and the final Star Road level being very easy. Underwhelming even.

Man, what the effffffff.

umm what, if i want to do regular co op i need 2 wii remotes? I am getting the system soon and only planned on buying one wii remote for now, adding more later

chrono01

umm what, if i want to do regular co op i need 2 wii remotes? I am getting the system soon and only planned on buying one wii remote for now, adding more later
I can answer this. Yes, if you play multiplayer in any way and want two controlled characters, you need two Wiimotes. The Game Pad is used purely for placing Boost Blocks and interacting wth the game through it [tapping enemies, etc.].

I can answer this. Yes, if you play multiplayer in any way and want two controlled characters, you need two Wiimotes. The Game Pad is used purely for placing Boost Blocks and interacting wth the game through it [tapping enemies, etc.].

but the gamepad can be used for single player? how does this make any sense? lol. thats annoying, i had my fiancee all excited about co op and now im going to need 2 wii remotes, not cool!

chrono01

but the gamepad can be used for single player? how does this make any sense? lol. thats annoying, i had my fiancee all excited about co op and now im going to need 2 wii remotes, not cool!
Yeah, the Game Pad can absolutely be used in Single Player, just not for controlling characters in multiplayer.

I know, it makes zero sense, but it is what it is. :(

Top Bottom