• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive will work in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
70 day trip to Mars? That's exploration age lengths of travel so that makes manned missions far more practical. Amazing!

JohnsonUT

Is there a laymens explanation of how this engine works. I'm ashamed to admit I'm not quite understanding.

My understanding is that it is basically troll physics that is actually working. Imagine standing on a boat blowing into the sail and causing the boat to move. This is what is happening but with microwaves.

EDIT: Apparently myth busters tested the blowing your own sail and got movement. The air bounces off the sail and around it causing there to be a propellant. Bad comparison to the EM drive.

MJPIA

So the impossible engine is still possible!
Yay for science!
Lets figure this out before I get old and die.

The Llama

Probably an incredibly, incredibly dumb question... but why don't we just build something small and dumb, attach it to this thing, launch it into space with a rocket, and see what happens? Is it basically just because that would cost too much given how unknown this technology is?

Grym

I still see this as just plain too good to be true.

But the applications and implications if it somehow is true are simply humanity-changing

Air

Banned
Always cool hearing about this, but I'll still hold my judgements until we start seeing some larger scale experiments.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Mass Effect drives circumvented the laws of physics and worked via a mechanism that no one really understood, and was developed by an alien race.

And now we've got real life "ME" dri- I'm sorry, "EM" drives? I'm on to you, Aliens!

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
My dream would be to see a probe outfitted with an EMdrive on a "grand tour" of the closest star systems, much how the voyager probes went on a grand tour of the solar system. It will happen one day, people. Imagine being able to pop back and forth to mars very quickly while bringing lots of equipment and terraforming gear. What if we caused climate change on mars, and it caused hostile wildlife (Microbial or bigger), that existed in Mars's wet period, to "wake up"?

Mass Effect drives circumvented the laws of physics and worked via a mechanism that no one really understood, and was developed by an alien race.

And now we've got real life "ME" dri- I'm sorry, "EM" drives? I'm on to you, Aliens!

I can't hear EM drive without thinking it means 'Electro-Mechanical'

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Probably an incredibly, incredibly dumb question... but why don't we just build something small and dumb, attach it to this thing, launch it into space with a rocket, and see what happens? Is it basically just because that would cost too much given how unknown this technology is?

I'm guessing that very thing will be happening "soon".

aliengmr

Too many variables.

Launching shit into space costs a ton money, especially considering the "not knowing why it works" thing.

Jeff-DSA

I can't hear EM drive without thinking it means 'Electro-Mechanical'

Same here. Pinball blood.

I would just be excited by the possibility to easily travel to and survey the Oort Cloud. It's not out of reach with these speeds. That's an amazing concept.

jambo

HOly shit, if true this could change everything.
Jupiter moons, here we come!

ALL    THESE     WORLDS
 ARE   YOURS   EXCEPT
              ­­­­­­­­EUROPA
        ATTEMPT   NO
     LANDING    THERE​

To make this thing ready for showtime is going to take years of development and billions of dollars. Probably an investment on the level of the Apollo program to get it work.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If is is true, then that Dr Yang who first did the experiment in 2008 surely deserves a nobel prize for this.

This can change humanity.

No way. All the real awards go to Shaywer. Yang gets a pat on the back and a Little League trophy. NASA gets an 'I Participated' ribbon.

commedieu

Banned
Smart people..

Whats the difference between this, and Vasimr..?

VASIMR_system.jpg

http://www.adastrarocket.com/aarc/VASIMR

Ad Astra is making headway with their systems. Minus GOV restrictions.

This too is going to get us to mars in the shorter time window. 60-70days

I do hope this works, just because of how splendid it would be to live in a world where we're using some technology to get around but no one has any idea how it works.

DieH@rd

Banned
Smart people..

Whats the difference between this, and Vasimr..?

VASIMR_system.jpg

http://www.adastrarocket.com/aarc/VASIMR

Ad Astra is making headway with their systems. Minus GOV restrictions.

This too is going to get us to mars in the shorter time window. 60-70days

^ This engine up has a propellant. EM Drive has no propellant. It uses electricity to produce microwaves, which bounce inside totally closed container and stir up quantum vacuum into movement. This produces thrust. Supposedly. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EmDrive

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The best quote from the article io9 references:

Yeah, space doesn't work like that.

Being in the "same place" means having the same position AND velocity.
That's 400 years in half-accel (peak at half-distance at 4.6% lightspeed)

rexor0717

So do the microwaves excite the virtual particles, hit the cone, then disappear before they can hit the opposite side (which would neutralize the force)? I'm sure I don't have this right, and am even being overly simplistic in my incorrect conclusion, lol.

commedieu

Banned
There is no propellant at all with this. Basically you are strapping a cone onto a solar cell and magically getting thrust.

^ This engine up has a propellant. EM Drive has no propellant. It uses electricity to produce microwaves, which bounce inside totally closed container and stir up quantum vacuum into movement. This produces thrust. Supposedly. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EmDrive

Thanks smart people :) I wonder. The Astra thing seems pretty plausible in the immediate future. Either way, im happy to see alternative methods of thrust coming out.

Damaniel

Banned
Isn't this going to have to scale by many orders of magnitude to even be feasible for space travel? The effect is just barely detectable as a little bit of signal outside a bunch of noise, so to speak, and just because you can do it on a really tiny scale in a lab doesn't mean you can scale it to ship propulsion levels.

That said, if the effect is confirmed real by others reproducing it, and can be scaled accordingly over the next 50-100 years, shit will get REAL. Sadly I doubt I'll be around to see the fruits of this labor.

Nafai1123

Banned
I have a question that someone with a better understanding of spaceflight and the structure of space could hopefully answer.

Is the density of micro-meteorites and other small particles so low that we could ever conceivably travel at percentages of the speed of light? I feel like a spacecraft moving at 10% the speed of light would get torn to shreds traveling through a solar system.

Yes, it's not like you see in the movies. The chances of hitting an asteroid in an real asteroid field for example are astronomically low AFAIK.

Isn't this going to have to scale by many orders of magnitude to even be feasible for space travel? The effect is just barely detectable as a little bit of signal outside a bunch of noise, so to speak, and just because you can do it on a really tiny scale in a lab doesn't mean you can scale it to ship propulsion levels.

That said, if the effect is confirmed real by others reproducing it, and can be scaled accordingly over the next 50-100 years, shit will get REAL. Sadly I doubt I'll be around to see the fruits of this labor.

The thrust has been incredibly small because the amount of power they've used in the tests at Eagleworks is very small. The leading theories believe efficiency could be as much as .5-1N/W. It won't scale linearly, but yes it would absolutely be feasible for LEO, LEO-GEO transition, and long duration space travel.

It's also be theorized by Shawyer that a superconducting cavity could increase efficiency exponentially to something like 30N/W, which would be feasible for terrestrial travel.

Really crazy stuff.

Vagabundo

Hopefully this tech will scale and works everywhere - it would suck to get outside the solar system and find it craps out.

If it does then there is no need to stop at 1 milli-G. Wack in a couple of fusion drives and ramp up that acceleration to 0.5-0.8g. More comfortable for humans to live and work in and at the halfway point just swing the ship around and decelerate at 0.5-0.8g.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
wow we could start linking up the solar system in the very least with robotics and unmanned missions first bwahahah the Imperium begins.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Yes, it's not like you see in the movies. The chances of hitting an asteroid in an real asteroid field for example are astronomically low AFAIK.

Yeah the movies make it look like you're flying through Saturn's rings or something. The asteroids outside the solar system are extremely far apart from one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom