• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

PantyPhantom said:
So only one person said something about a value/family/whatever pack? I bet there will be packs available which include memory cards and they will be cheaper than buying a memory card individually.

Not surprised about the other negativity against Sony/Vita.

You send the console to Sony and they change the battery for you and send it back. If that doesn't take a whole lot of time, what's the problem? And how often would you change your batteries, most people never.

That is some bad rationalization. How often will i import japanese 3DS games? Not often but having the option is ideal. Handheld Mobile devices have swapable batteries has become a norm.

googleplex said:
This.

The PS3 came with a hard drive standard, standard blue tooth, and usb. You could even use none Sony head sets and controllers. And Gamers didn't give a fuck and continued to buy overpriced Xbox hard drives and play, charge kits, and over priced Wiimotes.

No Sony learned well from their mistakes.
f*kin A

this thread deserves the crown

lesson learned indeed

Assuming this is ordinairy flash memory, and giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming its the fast type of memory, that new plastic cover they put around it is really expensive.

Its like they doubled the prices of flash memory. Its Sony's right obviously, since youre not forced to buy anything.

And if Apple can sell you an extra 32 gigs for $100, why cant Sony?

Zep said:
Isn't that how its always worked? Microsoft and Nintendo are guilty of things just as bad as these memory card prices.

And again, gamers have been bitching about this for 6 years... why wouldn't They complain now?

Aselith

Well, their storage options are fucking shit balls. What's the story on Vita cards? I'm assuming those are flash cards....what's their capacity?

duffyside said:
Not very smart to have no internal harddrive space. How do you guys expect people to buy games from your online store? Y'know... the future of the fucking market?
By selling you a $300 32gig value pack lol.

zoukka

Meisadragon said:
Games will be 2-4GB, so you can fit around 15 games in a 32GB card.

Yeah that's correct if the games use the minimum space (not likely) and you don't have any other media in your card.

jman2050 said:
No seriously, what's going to happen 6 years from now when the next wave of handhelds come out?

Battery tech HAS to breakthrough at some point, right?
R&D on battery and fuel cells is HEAVY. So, maybe not a breakthrough, but gradual advancement is a sure thing.

panty

Gamer @ Heart said:
That is some bad rationalization. How often will i import japanese 3DS games? Not often but having the option is ideal. Handheld Mobile devices have swapable batteries has become a norm.
Of course option is ideal but tough luck and I can understand why they chose to go that way. Weren't there mod/homebrew stuff related to the PSP battery location/charging space?

Also what googleplex said is spot-on.

How much is a 32GB SD card in Japan normally?

I hope this is cheaper locally. I was going to buy a lot of PSP games, but now I don't know

Jarmel

Banned
Supervlieg said:
Assuming this is ordinairy flash memory, and giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming its the fast type of memory, that new plastic cover they put around it is really expensive.

Its like they doubled the prices of flash memory. Its Sony's right obviously, since youre not forced to buy anything.

Because with Apple you can always go and buy the RAM yourself and put it in. No such alternative exists for the Vita.

Erethian

Supervlieg said:

I don't think anyone should have to explain why Apple can do this and Sony can't.

Supervlieg said:

One is expandable memory, the other is a different piece of hardware. Market prices on flash memory has dropped considerably, and Sony is ignoring it to make a profit on this. It makes sense business wise. That doesnt mean we have to like it.

antonz

Chuck Norris said:
How much is a 32GB SD card in Japan normally?

I hope this is cheaper locally. I was going to buy a lot of PSP games, but now I don't know
Amazon Japan has a 32GB SD card for 2800 Yen.

PantyPhantom said:
Of course option is ideal but tough luck and I can understand why they chose to go that way. Weren't there mod/homebrew stuff related to the PSP battery location/charging space?

Also what googleplex said is spot-on.

I totally understand. If i where running the playstation unit, i would have demanded a closed battery too. That doesnt mean we have to like it!

That is the key to all this 'bad' news. None of it is ideal for the consumer, but it makes sense for Sony.

panty

Gamer @ Heart said:
I totally understand. If i where running the playstation unit, i would have demanded a closed battery too. That doesnt mean we have to like it!

That is the key to all this 'bad' news. None of it is ideal for the consumer, but it makes sense for Sony.
Agreed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
lowrider007 said:
Gotta pay the ****** premium.
Hvm2r.gif

Number45

Hyuga said:
Official stance is still that TV out won't be supported I believe.

FoxSpirit said:
Those card prices are bullshit :-\
MORE than twice the streetprice.
It's a proprietary format, there is no street price. The cost is high of course, more than I was hoping for, but not unexpected. :(

zoukka said:
Yeah that's correct if the games use the minimum space (not likely) and you don't have any other media in your card.
But you'll also have the likes of Sound Shapes and other PSN games that will use WAY under that amount, so 15 games on a 32GB isn't unreasonable (if you focus more on true DD games you could probably easily get 15 on a 16GB card).

Sarcasm

Deadly Joker said:
When I go on long trips, I usually take a spare PSP battery with me. I then get double the battery life.

With Vita I can not do this.

1308199691-16.jpg

Usually without solar panels. And you can't see it but you can get ones with multiple types of connections. Over here you also see the phone carriers also typically bundle them with phones.

Over here its more common than people lugging extra phone batteries, especially since this can charge more than phones.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gamer @ Heart said:

That's a good point to be fair, I guess some of us a trying to rationalise these decisions on Sony's behalf buy yeah your right.

That battery life sounds very impressive, but we'll have to wait for the actual battery tests.

Edit: Actually, reading more closely it doesn't sound that good.

Game: Approx. 3~5 hours
Video: Approx. 5 hours
Music (in stand-by mode): Approx. 9 hours
* Screen brightness default setting, Bluetooth feature off, headphones used
* Game, when not using the network
* The duration may change depending on the brightness of the screen, what content being played and if the network (3G/Wi-Fi) feature is being used or not

That battery life for the gameplay assumes that you're on the default battery setting (probably lowest or 2nd lowest then) and you're not using WiFi or 3G. The variance probably comes from how graphically intensive the game is.

Add on Wireless drain and you could probably knock that down to 2-4 hours. Increase the brightness and it could go even lower...

Ugh! Those memory card prices suck (Not surprised one little bit)

Edit
Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s
saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself.

WTF?! Fuck this shit! I thought that all games would come with their own flash memory space for saving data on (like DS and 3DS game cards).

Ugh! So the Vita effectively becomes a minimum purchase price of $270 (since you have to have a memory card for certain games) Now there's effectively almost a $100 difference between the Vita and the 3DS. Not good, not good at all.

DiscoJer

googleplex said:
This.

The PS3 came with a hard drive standard, standard blue tooth, and usb. You could even use none Sony head sets and controllers. And Gamers didn't give a fuck and continued to buy overpriced Xbox hard drives and play, charge kits, and over priced Wiimotes.

I don't disagree with this, but at the same time, when the PS3 launched, it was also vastly more expensive than the 360.

The proprietary memory cards didn't seem so bad when the 3DS was also $250. But now that it's $80 more expensive than the 3ds, I'm not sure it can get away with it anymore.

Vita + 16 gig card (which I think the smallest one worth buying, based on that my PSP's 16 gig is full) would be $300, while a 3DS + 16 gig SD Card would be what, $190?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>
Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s
saved data
while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself. Please refer
to the PS Vita game packages or game manuals for further details.
Lord have mercy.

Averon

googleplex said:
This.

Pretty much. Sony gained nothing by making the PS3 open this gen other than hacks and piracy. And we saw how not locking down the PSP's battery did to that platform. They'll be stupid to continue this "openness" trend with Vita after seeing MS and Nintendo making bank selling over priced accessories and the aforementioned issues above.

dwu8991

Banned
Averon said:
Pretty much. Sony gained nothing by making the PS3 open this gen other than hacks and piracy. And we saw how not locking down the PSP's battery did to that platform. They'll be stupid to continue this "openness" trend with Vita after seeing MS and Nintendo making bank selling over priced accessories and the aforementioned issues above.

Piracy wasn't that bad on the PS3 even with jailbreak.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
DiscoJer said:
I don't disagree with this, but at the same time, when the PS3 launched, it was also vastly more expensive than the 360.

The proprietary memory cards didn't seem so bad when the 3DS was also $250. But now that it's $80 more expensive than the 3ds, I'm not sure it can get away with it anymore.

Vita + 16 gig card (which I think the smallest one worth buying, based on that my PSP's 16 gig is full) would be $300, while a 3DS + 16 gig SD Card would be what, $190?

So what your effectively saying is that the 3DS and vita should be the same price?

Atomski said:
Must be trolling. Compare those prices to existing memory sticks.

do we know if they are the same tech? transfer rates, specs etc as regular SD cards?

ReaperXL7

duffyside said:
Not very smart to have no internal harddrive space. How do you guys expect people to buy games from your online store? Y'know... the future of the fucking market?

It was smart if they wanted to keep the price of the hardware in an affordable range. If they had internal storage the price would have been above $300 for the wi-fi model alone, and people would have claimed the Vita was too expensive. Sony is pretty much damned if they do, damned if they don't on this front, it sucks that the memory is expensive but with everything else built into the system it's not a deal breaker for me.

Someone correct me if i'm mistaken (I don't own any apple products myself) but apple does not even allow you to change the memory at all correct? So if you by say a 16gb Ipod/ipad your stuck with that unless you upgrade the entire unit?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Vita supports cloud/pc/ps3 storage....If you have a PS3 or PC you have like endless storage...Mem cards aren't a big deal this generation...IMO

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I was under the impression that the Vita had onboard storage of some kind. It's understandable they want to make some money off of the memory cards because they're selling the system so cheap, but this effectively pushes the price of the system up to $275 anyway.

Zep

Banned
Didn't Sony go the "openness" route with the hard-drive(and other items) because they wanted to be recognized as a computer, which would have given them certain tax breaks(I think this was it).

Probably had nothing to do with it but I just remember reading an article about that years back.

dwu8991

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
So because of potential piracy (through the use of SD) the consumer is forced to buy expensive proprietary media.

Yep, that's Sony.

If the Vita doesn't sell, it's only got itself to blame while Nintendo prints money.

Gamer @ Heart said:
One is expandable memory, the other is a different piece of hardware. Market prices on flash memory has dropped considerably, and Sony is ignoring it to make a profit on this. It makes sense business wise. That doesnt mean we have to like it.
I dont say I like it. I think they could and should offer the memory at a reasonable price, but wont because they make more money this way.

The only difference between the wifi version of an 32 gig ipad and a 64 gig ipad is $100. There is no difference in features whatsoever. So imo its a memory upgrade. Albeit one you pay for right away. Point being if apple charges $100 for flash memory, so will Sony.

I don't think anyone should have to explain why Apple can do this and Sony can't.

Do tell. Does apple have an exclusive right to make profits?

Sintoid

Opus Angelorum said:
So because of potential piracy (through the use of SD) the consumer is forced to buy expensive proprietary media.

Yep, that's Sony.

Maybe they're thinking that if they can't sell games at least they can sell Memory cards XD

Aselith

lowrider007 said:
So what your effectively saying is that the 3DS and vita should be the same price?

do we know if they are the same tech? transfer rates, specs etc as regular SD cards?

From a competitive standpoint, I'd say as close as possible. The problem will be the same one that DS vs PSP had where PSP had better hardware technically but DS is close enough that not a lot of people care because DS is the right price and has tons of games. The only way Vita will do really well in that environment is just a fucking torrent of games compared to a trickle from 3DS and I don''t think that's gonna happen. Vita will do OK like PSP but it will be like PSP all over again.

glaurung

Kind of miffed about the battery and charging information.

The memory card prices are atrocious, true, but at least it's a buy once and forget about it ordeal.

FoxSpirit

<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>
saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself. Please refer
to the PS Vita game packages or game manuals for further details.

Hmmmja... wtf???
No portable EVER had this.

Really, watching that conference today was such a downer... literally. Made you forget about all the great stuuf announced and gave off the impression of "PSVita has no gaems."
I need some good stuff from TGS to wash that off. Yes, it was that bad.

angelfly

FoxSpirit said:
Hmmmja... wtf???
No portable EVER had this.

Really, watching that conference today was such a downer... literally. Made you forget about all the great stuuf announced and gave off the impression of "PSVita has no gaems."
I need some good stuff from TGS to wash that off. Yes, it was that bad.
PSP required memory cards to save.

Top Bottom