• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

DiscoJer said:
I don't disagree with this, but at the same time, when the PS3 launched, it was also vastly more expensive than the 360.

The proprietary memory cards didn't seem so bad when the 3DS was also $250. But now that it's $80 more expensive than the 3ds, I'm not sure it can get away with it anymore.

Vita + 16 gig card (which I think the smallest one worth buying, based on that my PSP's 16 gig is full) would be $300, while a 3DS + 16 gig SD Card would be what, $190?
+ 10-15 for a ugly second analog attachment?

And the 3ds hardware would still be shit in comparison to the Vita.

angelfly

googleplex said:

Optional attachment is not the same as something required for some games.

likeGdid

To be perfectly fair, the battery not being user replaceable is definitely justified by the rear touchpad. Sucks about the memory cards though.

glaurung

FoxSpirit said:
Hmmmja... wtf???
No portable EVER had this.
If I remember correct, Sony's system specification required each and every Vita cartridge to have dedicated space for two purposes:
  • Game updates and DLC, i.e. game's own data.
  • Game save space, which would also be writable by the system software.

Supervlieg said:
I dont say I like it. I think they could and should offer the memory at a reasonable price, but wont because they make more money this way.

The only difference between the wifi version of an 32 gig ipad and a 64 gig ipad is $100. There is no difference in features whatsoever. So imo its a memory upgrade. Albeit one you pay for right away. Point being if apple charges $100 for flash memory, so will Sony.

I see where you are coming from. But sony is selling a multimedia device, with almost no internal memory what so ever. To put those videos and songs the showed at the confrence, and even some games save data, you need to pay Sony's price for memory, which doesnt reflect market trends. If you buy an ipad, you can do what ever it allows you to. With a Vita, you essentially cant use the PSN store, until you buy that memory.

panty

Opus Angelorum said:
So because of potential piracy (through the use of SD) the consumer is forced to buy expensive proprietary media.

Yep, that's Sony.
What the hell? Please explain to me "how's that Sony", sorry but I don't get it. Like how it was with the PS3, when you couldn't change the HDD to any other than a Sony branded and like you couldn't use anything else than Sony branded keyboards etc.

googleplex said:

Well that only happened because nobody bought the amazing Gamecube and blahblahstupidshit.

It's typical Sony.

Design a fantastic piece of hardware, promise the world and at the last minute stick something sharp and uncomfortable right up the consumers ass.

Opus Angelorum said:
So because of potential piracy (through the use of SD) the consumer is forced to buy expensive proprietary media.

Yep, that's Sony.
It's more like Sony still wants to offer you bleeding edge technology, but this time they want to maintain a healthy software AND hardware business.

Jin34

Averon said:
Pretty much. Sony gained nothing by making the PS3 open this gen other than hacks and piracy. And we saw how not locking down the PSP's battery did to that platform. They'll be stupid to continue this "openness" trend with Vita after seeing MS and Nintendo making bank selling over priced accessories and the aforementioned issues above.

LOL, being open made them go after sony less since you could do part of the stuff hacking the system means to achieve, they then removed one of those features and the shit started hitting the fan. Gamers didnt give jack shit about it because it was 600 motherfucking dollars and as with all video game consoles, its about the games (and now online) and everything else is secondary.

The openness of not having to buy bullshit like overpriced HDDs and being able to use the Saturn usb pad is one of the things that made me get a PS3. At least Nintendo is continuing this partially on their next systems (SD card for 3DS, USB HDDS as of now for Wii U). Too bad they went back to stupid region locking that makes hackers set their sights on you.

strem

It's funny. The company who tries the least (Apple) to woo gamers is eating both Sony and Nintendos lunch.

Portable gaming is dead to me. Give me Tiny Tower and I'm good. The days of the dedicated gaming handheld are coming to an end my friends. Well maybe not in Japan but those peeps are straaange. (see love+)

I am still excited about the hardware and potential future software (which i was hoping i would know more about today), but just less so now that the realities of Sony being a business set in. I think alot of us fall into that.

Isn't 2200mAh absolutely gigantic? My original PSP's battery broke a few years ago and I fell down the awful rabbit hole of the third-party battery market (long story short: they're all fake, don't believe anything), and 2200mAh is what the original PSP's Stamina Battery was rated at. The one that would make a phatty last 8+ hours and a 2000 about 11 hours. The Vita must be an absolute hog to chew through one in three.

Some part of me knew that there was no chance of good news for the Vita's battery, but I had to actually see it in a press release. Even though I expected it I kind of feel like cancelling my pre-order. I know there probably won't be another handheld that outlasts it but I still really hate seeing an empty battery warning light all the time.

Opus Angelorum said:
It's typical Sony.

Design a fantastic piece of hardware, promise the world and at the last minute stick something sharp and uncomfortable right up the consumers ass.
Back paddling is really an art, and you suck at it.

DiscoJer said:
I don't disagree with this, but at the same time, when the PS3 launched, it was also vastly more expensive than the 360.

The proprietary memory cards didn't seem so bad when the 3DS was also $250. But now that it's $80 more expensive than the 3ds, I'm not sure it can get away with it anymore.

Vita + 16 gig card (which I think the smallest one worth buying, based on that my PSP's 16 gig is full) would be $300, while a 3DS + 16 gig SD Card would be what, $190?

the thing is, there is hardly a reason to have a memory card for the 3DS. The inclusion was wholly unnecessary since it has internal memory and there was nothing to download at the time, and a few small things to download now.

every Vita game is getting a digital and retail release. it seemed like the online store was important to the vita, without taking Suite, PSP and PSN games into account.

that's what makes it supremely boneheaded. Sony is hurting themselves with this.

Thoraxes

Sounds about what I expected.
Is the dock included at least? Charging is really nice with that dock with the 3DS. So convenient.

panty

glaurung said:
If I remember correct, Sony's system specification required each and every Vita cartridge to have dedicated space for two purposes:
  • Game updates and DLC, i.e. game's own data.
  • Game save space, which would also be writable by the system software.
Quoting this.

Any source? That seems reasonable.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I see where you are coming from. But sony is selling a multimedia device, with almost no internal memory what so ever. To put those videos and songs the showed at the confrence, and even some games save data, you need to pay Sony's price for memory, which doesnt reflect market trends. If you buy an ipad, you can do what ever it allows you to. With a Vita, you essentially cant use the PSN store, until you buy that memory.
True, but thats why the 4 gig is available. Thats probably gimped from a heavy user point of view, but will probably do fine in the "I cant believe you got me this version mom" market.

Jin34

matrix-cat said:
Isn't 2200mAh absolutely gigantic? My original PSP's battery broke a few years ago and I fell down the awful rabbit hole of the third-party battery market (long story short: they're all fake, don't believe anything), and 2200mAh is what the original PSP's Stamina Battery was rated at. The one that would make a phatty last 8+ hours and a 2000 about 11 hours. The Vita must be an absolute hog to chew through one in three.

Some part of me knew that there was no chance of good news for the Vita's battery, but I had to actually see it in a press release. Even though I expected it I kind of feel like cancelling my pre-order. I know there probably won't be another handheld that outlasts it but I still really hate seeing an empty battery warning light all the time.

Its more battery tech not having improved much than Nintendo or Sony fucking up.

guek

Banned
Supervlieg said:
Do tell. Does apple have an exclusive right to make profits?

No, but they can get away with overcharging because...they can get away with it. I know it sounds silly, and I personally think it's incredibly dumb, but Apple has a loyal diehard fanbase that sony lacks.

Apple could put out the iphone5 tomorrow with virtually no upgrades and a small cosmetic change, charge $600 and the thing would sell like crazy. Course, they probably couldn't get away with it for long...at least I hope they couldn't...

Thoraxes said:
Sounds about what I expected.
Is the dock included at least? Charging is really nice with that dock with the 3DS. So convenient.

nope and we don't even know if the cradle they are selling allows charging while docked.

glaurung

PantyPhantom said:
Quoting this.

Any source? That seems reasonable.
I cannot recall it right now, but it might have come from a Weekend Confirmed podcast when the guys where discussing the Vita a few months back.

I'm sure you can find a text source by googling.

Erethian

googleplex said:
It's more like Sony still wants to offer you bleeding edge technology, but this time they want to maintain a healthy software AND hardware business.

It's possible to do that without making it harder for the consumer.

Especially because the systems have been hacked due to poor software design. Horrendously so in the case of the PS3 hack.

dwu8991

Banned
AndrewDean84xX said:
So if you want to access anything from the PSN, you'll have to pay a high price for Sony's memory card. That's so nice.......

:l

It will work with PS plus, so that should help with being able to play retro games on the go.

Beam said:
Back paddling is really an art, and you suck at it.
?

I've always praised the hardware, and the pricing. It's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed at the software implementation, considering I have to buy a PSVita for my step son.

I don't mind paying for the platform if it offers great value, which the PSVita clearly does. I'm not however looking forward to purchasing £30+ games along with expensive storage.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Apparently some Vita titles may need the memory card to save:
<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>

Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s
saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself. Please refer
to the PS Vita game packages or game manuals for further details.

Definitely not getting the Vita if they're going to nickle and dime like that, and I'm definitely not getting a 3DS until I can play imports and/or I know what the next revision will be like.

Guess I'll just get a DSiXL and play the games I missed out on for now.

Jarmel

Banned
herod said:
With a battery life like that the 3G version seems utterly pointless.

It already is. If those prices are kept in the USA, it might be more sensible to just buy a MiFi or some other equivalent.

Thoraxes

Ok, I know prices will maybe be slightly cheaper in America, but to get what the 3DS offers in a singular box, (System, Charging Dock, 2GB SD card, 4GB is Vita baseline though), it'll cost about $315 or so on the Vita?

That's kinda messed up. You could get an extra game or two with that money.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Aselith said:
No, it's not because some games require it to save which would render them unplayable if you didn't have it.

Lets see how common that is first, I'm dubious about that statement tbh, I know it's in the pdf but I still have a feeling it could be a rarity, if not then yeah that would be silly having to save to a propriety memory card when gaming on a flashcart.

freddy

Banned
Yea, I don't see me buying this till a price cut then. I don't mind paying extra if the games are there but I feel like I'm paying a graphics tax I don't really care for and no card just sorta seals the deal. Maybe down the road..

guek

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Ok, I know prices will maybe be slightly cheaper in America, but to get what the 3DS offers in a singular box, (System, Charging Dock, 4GB SD card), it'll cost about $315 or so on the Vita?

Yeah, but what's the point when there's no 3DS games, mirite?

sorry, I'll be good...

panty

Thoraxes said:
Ok, I know prices will maybe be slightly cheaper in America, but to get what the 3DS offers in a singular box, (System, Charging Dock, 4GB SD card), it'll cost about $315 or so on the Vita?

So you're saying the hardware is about the same value in 3DS and the Vita?

My god, many times more powerful new technology is more expensive. That simply can't be.
Ydahs said:
Wait, the camera's resolution is only 640x480? Did we already know this?
Yes.

Top Bottom