• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Aselith said:
No, it's not because some games require it to save which would render them unplayable if you didn't have it.
If your talking about PSN games and MMO's it would still make them optional. Your basic Vita retail game will beable to save on the cart.

DiscoJer

Linkzg said:
the thing is, there is hardly a reason to have a memory card for the 3DS. The inclusion was wholly unnecessary since it has internal memory and there was nothing to download at the time, and a few small things to download now.

every Vita game is getting a digital and retail release. it seemed like the online store was important to the vita, without taking Suite, PSP and PSN games into account.

that's what makes it supremely boneheaded. Sony is hurting themselves with this.

That's true, I think. But at the same time, until they do something about Grace Chen, I don't think they truly are taking downloadable games seriously.

I mean, if they didn't with the PSPGo, which was entirely dependent on the PSN Store, why will they with the Vita, which just gives the option?

And Sony could be playing a longer game. I remember seeing someon (Kaz?) on a news show, promising that the PS3 could play all your old PS2 games.

But now it's quite a lucrative business getting people to re-buy them in HD. The Vita is even getting into that act (mostly with PS2 games, but maybe some PSP ones).

When the Vita 2 rolls around, Sony might be wanting to sell you the same games again. Rather than just playing them digitally.

antonz

Ydahs said:
Wait, the camera's resolution is only 640x480? Did we already know this?
Yep they cut corners where they could to reach 249. They probably figured they dont need better if 3DS doesn't.

googleplex said:
If your talking about PSN games and MMO's it would still make them optional. Your basic Vita retail game will beable to save on the cart.

Most likely. That doesnt make it certain though, otherwise Sony wouldn't have bothered saying otherwise in their own release.

hyp

Linkzg said:
the thing is, there is hardly a reason to have a memory card for the 3DS. The inclusion was wholly unnecessary since it has internal memory and there was nothing to download at the time, and a few small things to download now.

every Vita game is getting a digital and retail release. it seemed like the online store was important to the vita, without taking Suite, PSP and PSN games into account.

that's what makes it supremely boneheaded. Sony is hurting themselves with this.

exactly. if theyʻre gonna pimp digital distribution well, they should have included a nice memory stick or some built-in storage. retarded.

zoukka

PantyPhantom said:
So you're saying the hardware is about the same value in 3DS and the Vita?

My god, many times more powerful new technology is more expensive. That simply can't be.

Value is completely subjective. If the Vita doesn't offer something unique compared to the 3DS lineup, it will look really bad lookin at the prices.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Please, tell me, how is your life better by pledging allegiance to a company?
Yes because being able to see beyond what I want and look at the situation logically is pledging my undying love for Sony.

SMH.

guek

Banned
I think the point isn't that you wont be able to save games. Even if every game is savable to the cart, the lack of any pre-packaged storage hurts the marketplace. Even though the 3DS eshop space isn't the best, it would have been even worse if you couldn't use it without another relatively expensive purchase. The fact that people wont be able to access marketplace items out of the box hurts that martketplace.

NateDrake

googleplex said:
A press release states some games will REQUIRE a memory stick. No matter how you want to spin it you'll need to buy a memory card with Vita on Day 1.

panty

zoukka said:
Value is completely subjective. If the Vita doesn't offer something unique compared to the 3DS lineup, it will look really bad lookin at the prices.
I guess you misunderstood me. Obviously new technology is more expensive. That has nothing to do with subjectivity.

NateDrake said:
A press release states some games will REQUIRE a memory stick. No matter how you want to spin it you'll need to buy a memory card with Vita on Day 1.
No, I don't.

Some PS Vita software titles may require

Will and may doesn't mean the same.

Toki767

Any odds of a third party like SanDisk making memory cards for the Vita? They were always my go to brand for PSP memory sticks.

NateDrake said:
A press release states some games will REQUIRE a memory stick. No matter how you want to spin it you'll need to buy a memory card with Vita on Day 1 to play all games available.

fixed. But the memory card is still optional man....your option is just to not play/buy those games that need it :p.

Durante

Thoraxes said:
Ok, I know prices will maybe be slightly cheaper in America, but to get what the 3DS offers in a singular box, (System, Charging Dock, 2GB SD card, 4GB is Vita baseline though), it'll cost about $315 or so on the Vita?
It costs less than twice as much but is over 10 times more powerful. That's how I see it, though it may not be the mass market perspective :p

The battery is disappointing though, my tiny Galaxy S2 has a 1650 mAh battery.

gogogow

Terrible battery size/life. But I understand why they did this. To cut costs of course. But it's NOT removable, you are stuck forever with this shitty battery. I was still hoping they would put a bigger battery in there, because the Vita can't be opened like the iPad, so they can make a battery the size of the Vita.

And wow at the prices. I always knew the proprietary memory cards are gonna be more expensive, like twice as expensive, but this is like 4-5 the price of SD cards.

Gonna skip the Vita for now till a price cut and more games are announced that i'm interested in, there's like only 1 game I want now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A closer glimpse at one of the conference slides with pics of Katamari and NGSigma.

ps_vita_titles.jpg

I guess we'll get more on all these separately. Would like to see how Katamari plays with all the various input options, might be an opportunity for them to do something interesting.

dwu8991

Banned
gogogow said:
Terrible battery size/life. But I understand why they did this. To cut costs of course. But it's NOT removable, you are stuck forever with this shitty battery. I was still hoping they would put a bigger battery in there, because the Vita can't be opened like the iPad, so they can make a battery the size of the Vita.

And wow at the prices. I always knew the proprietary memory cards are gonna be more expensive, like twice as expensive, but this is like 4-5 the price of SD cards.

Gonna skip the Vita for now till a price cut and more games are announced that i'm interested in, there's like only 1 game I want now.

Vita would probably have a faster price cut than 3DS which itself was super fast.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
gofreak said:
A closer glimpse at one of the conference slides with pics of Katamari and NGSigma.

I guess we'll get more on all these separately. Would like to see how Katamari plays with all the various input options, might be an opportunity for them to do something interesting.
I'm keeping an eye on Katamari, and I hope it's not a shoddy port of the iOS game. It's one of the few games where dual sticks, accelerometer, or touch controls can all be equally functional.

gogogow

gofreak said:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/09/ps_vita_titles.jpg[/IMG

I guess we'll get more on all these separately. Would like to see how Katamari plays with all the various input options, might be an opportunity for them to do something interesting.[/QUOTE]
That is a PS3 NGS screenshot........

[IMG]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/751/751774/ninja-gaiden-sigma-20061219064603244_640w.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
antonz said:
Yep they cut corners where they could to reach 249. They probably figured they dont need better if 3DS doesn't.

It's similar to the PS Eye though... 640x480 at 60 FPS and 320x240 at 120 FPS which is not bad for AR games and motion tracking.

odhiex

BladeoftheImmortal said:
These prices look amazing. 130 for 32gbs. shit, last time i bought a mem stick pro duo it was 150 for a gig.

yes, the price of a new format memory is always ridiculously high at first.... :I

Noshino

OldJadedGamer said:
And again, gamers have been bitching about this for 6 years... why wouldn't They complain now?

because most of them buy those same products that they bitch about?

People bitched about saves, yet they still bought the 360's offerings

People bitched about peripheral support, yet they still buy MS's overpriced stuff.

People bitches about online services, yet XBL is going strong

As for the battery, you should thank those that many the Pandora battery, after all, this was because of them.

Opus Angelorum said:
So because of potential piracy (through the use of SD) the consumer is forced to buy expensive proprietary media.

Yep, that's Sony.

Potential?....

There is nothing potential about piracy through SD use on the DS and PSP line....

caligula13

Gold Member
Gamer @ Heart said:
Will the outcry be as heavy as the 3DS battery situation, or less because we are coming off the PSP and kinda sorta expected this?

it will be not as heavy because it's sony. looking forward to reading the explanations by fanboys why 3-5 hours is good when its sony-hardware

ShockingAlberto said:
If that is what you think is happening, you're really deluding yourself.
I know that's what's happening. And I'm sure you could see it if you removed Nintendo's nut sack from your forehead.

Do I want to pay high prices for memory cards? Nope!

Can I understand why Sony is pricing them the way they are ? Yes, I can understant wanting to maintain a solvent business model.

Did any one with half a brain I see this coming a mile away? How the Hell could anyone not expect this?

guek

Banned
PantyPhantom said:
I guess you misunderstood me. Obviously new technology is more expensive. That has nothing to do with subjectivity.

No, I don't.

but what if you ever want to buy something for digital download?

googleplex said:
Yes because being able to see beyond what I want and look at the situation logically is pledging my undying love for Sony.

SMH.

What you claim: being able to see beyond what you want and look at the situation logically.

What I see:

+ 10-15 for a ugly second analog attachment?
-Twisting facts (or being unaware of them) to soften the blow against this memory card pricing. The add-on is not mandatory for ANY game. Memory cards, for some games, are.

And the 3ds hardware would still be shit in comparison to the Vita.
-Unnecessary insult

It's more like Sony still wants to offer you bleeding edge technology, but this time they want to maintain a healthy software AND hardware business.
-The reason for $120 32GB memory cards is because Sony is dedicated to offering the consumer bleeding edge technology?
-Maintaining a healthy software and hardware business is their reason for existing. I guess paying twice what you should for memory cards is a way for them to do this, but you're practically thanking them for it. Anyone who puts their own interests before a company's would NOT get slapped in the face like this and hug them for it.

The memory card is also optional. So what's your point?
-Again, twisting facts. That add-on is optional in the same way Sixaxis motion controls are on PS3. A memory card is optional for playing PSVita games in the way a left thumb is.

The only conclusion I can make is that you're very biased toward Sony and I think you've given me ample evidence to believe such. This includes several insults toward Nintendo (hardware is shit, ugly add-on), spinning facts to work in Sony's favor, and rationalizing an ethically acceptable reason for double-priced memory cards all contribute to this. The fact that you call all that "looking at the situation logically" only puts the cherry on top of it all.

edit- He's banned?! All in vain :(

Shadow780

Since portable gaming is strong in Japan and digital sales doesn't count as much as the west, maybe they'll incur some expense by pack in 4GB memory card when they launch in the west.

hurhur

panty

guek said:
but what if you ever want to buy something for digital download?
Of course I'd have to buy a memory card for that. It's not mandatory since I don't have to buy games online, I can just play games on the carts. Nevertheless I will be buying a memory card for the Vita.

What if I'd like to drive to work but I only have a bicycle. I'd have to buy a car. The principle is basically the same.

guek

Banned
googleplex said:
I know that's what's happening. And I'm sure you could see it if you removed Nintendo's nut sack from your forehead.

Do I want to pay high prices for memory cards? Nope!

Can I understand why Sony is pricing them the way they are ? Yes, I can understant wanting to maintain a solvent business model.

Did any one with half a brain I see this coming a mile away? How the Hell could anyone not expect this?

your acceptance of the lack of prepackaged storage isn't unreasonable for you. However, that doesn't make it ok for other people. it's not unreasonable for this news to impact the decision to buy a vita any time soon since $250 was pretty hefty for some in the first place.

Why are you surprised that other people are upset? It's a legitimate complaint. Your ability to swallow isn't necessarily going to be indicative of whether others will be able to.

matrix-cat said:
Isn't 2200mAh absolutely gigantic? My original PSP's battery broke a few years ago and I fell down the awful rabbit hole of the third-party battery market (long story short: they're all fake, don't believe anything), and 2200mAh is what the original PSP's Stamina Battery was rated at. The one that would make a phatty last 8+ hours and a 2000 about 11 hours. The Vita must be an absolute hog to chew through one in three.

Some part of me knew that there was no chance of good news for the Vita's battery, but I had to actually see it in a press release. Even though I expected it I kind of feel like cancelling my pre-order. I know there probably won't be another handheld that outlasts it but I still really hate seeing an empty battery warning light all the time.

Yes it is gigantic and it's one of the main reasons why the Vita is so large. It's the largest battery that any gaming portable has had (previous record holder is the PSP 1000 - 1800MAH, with the 3DS in 3rd - 1300 MAH)

Also, those battery claims seem to be pretty generous based on the wording (assumes "default brightness" and that WiFi and 3G is turned off), so I expect real world figures to be significantly lower.

BTW I totally called it getting shorter battery life than both the 3DS and the PSP!

Nisa65

Can anyone shed any light on how the 3G pre paid plan model works? Do I have to subscribe to NTT Docomo or will just buying a launch model and then prepaid PSN style cards be enough?

Durante

OrangeGrayBlue said:
This includes several insults toward Nintendo (hardware is shit, ugly add-on)
Those aren't insults, those are statements of fact.

You have a point about memory card prices though, they are a complete rip-off. I guess Sony learned from MS' success with HDD pricing.

guek

Banned
PantyPhantom said:
Of course I'd have to buy a memory card for that. It's not mandatory since I don't have to buy games online, I can just play games on the carts. Nevertheless I will be buying a memory card for the Vita.

What if I'd like to drive to work but I only have a bicycle. I'd have to buy a car. The principle is basically the same.

wait, wut. by that logic, sony could price the vita at $1000 and you could say "well if you want to play vita games, you'll have to buy a vita. Principle's essentially the same."

In that same vein, nothing is really "mandatory." It's not mandatory that I buy more games for the 3DS, the AR games are already there! It's not mandatory that you buy a Vita at all, but if you do and you wanna get full functionality out of it, the $250 price tag is a bit misleading. That's what people are upset about.

Aselith

PantyPhantom said:

No, I don't.

Get real. They meant that some games may not require it not that there is a possibility that none will. It means that they don't have to require it. It's still mandatory for some games and most definitely mandatory for PSN exclusives.

The fact that you're arguing that you don't need storage for a multimedia device in 2011 means that Sony is fucking up. Of course you need storage especially since such a big part of the business is built around stored items (movies, songs, games, DLC) It's pathetic that anyone would need to plan around a memory card on this thing because they wanted to gouge people on storage. It sucks for indie developers out there that they can't assume people will be able to store the games they put up on PSN because "maybe I don't need any storage!" in the year two-thousand and eleven. I shit you not.

glaurung

I don't care about the prices. If the stuff is nice and appeals to my sense of aesthetics, I will buy it.

I am also a consumer whore.

panty

guek said:
wait, wut. by that logic, sony could price the vita at $1000 and you could say "well if you want to play vita games, you'll have to buy a vita. Principle's essentially the same."
Nope. I'd still have my bicycle and I would get to work without buying a car :) same as in you don't have to buy the memory card. You don't get it do you?
In that same vein, nothing is really "mandatory." It's not mandatory that I buy more games for the 3DS, the AR games are already there! It's not mandatory that you buy a Vita at all, but if you do and you wanna get full functionality out of it, the $250 price tag is a bit misleading. That's what people are upset about.
Full functionality? Please explain. From what we have heard/read you DON'T need a memory card but it MIGHT be necessary for some games. That's all we know.

Aselith said:
Get real. They meant that some games may not require it not that there is a possibility that none will. It means that they don't have to require it. It's still mandatory for some games and most definitely mandatory for PSN exclusives.
How the hell can you know that? Shed some light please.

Get real yourself.

Gravijah said:
There are going to be PSN exclusive Vita games. If you want to play them, you are required to have a memory card.
Source?

Gravijah

PantyPhantom said:
Nope. I'd still have my bicycle and I would get to work without buying a car :) same as in you don't have to buy the memory card. You don't get it do you?

There are going to be PSN exclusive Vita games. If you want to play them, you are required to have a memory card.

Will there be cheaper 3rd party memory cards?
those prices are ridiculous to say at least

also lol at the battery life. With online enabled and higher screen brightness you will get 2h of gameplay, I bet my ass. Nyko to rescue!

jackdoe said:
Yep. Highest brightness with WiFi still on (too lazy to turn it off haha) will lead to sub 3 hour play times.

you are to lazy to press one button?? wow

Top Bottom