• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Jhoan

Here are pictures from last's night's No Quarter 2013 event at the NYU Game Center. It was pretty damn fun talking to people, playing a bunch of Indie games from NYU students and other people, and shooting the breeze with a GAF member who I met there who's name escapes me. I stayed there until 12:20AM, went along with a group of people to eat pizza, then called it a night. All those games were pretty damn fun and frantic. I played a couple of other games that I didn't take pictures of. Pardon the crappy quality cell phone pictures:

SNES controller to play Speed Chess, a 16 player Chess game which would replay the piece that made the winning move:
3KqYqUD.jpg

VYU3Vsz.jpg

G4IlHWs.jpg

A Tetris game without any borders was all the way in the back:
kkRiqPm.jpg

Nidhogg:
DLoR5kc.jpg

f0jn9B7.jpg

CKkDv3o.jpg

Killer Queen- A five player game mounted to an arcade cabinet. It was so much fun:

KHmrOoo.jpg

NREF1SZ.jpg

A quasi-Virtual On meets a 3D Joust. It was a fighting and it was pretty damn good:
vP5wJoc.jpg

Clearer shot of the game:
PfkXEi0.jpg

beat

Here are pictures from last's night's No Quarter 2013 event at the NYU Game Center. It was pretty damn fun talking to people, playing a bunch of Indie games from NYU students and other people, and shooting the breeze with a GAF member who I met there who's name escapes me. I stayed there until 12:20AM, went along with a group of people to eat pizza, then called it a night. All those games were pretty damn fun and frantic. I played a couple of other games that I didn't take pictures of. Pardon the crappy quality cell phone pictures:

What's the game inspired by Virtual-On and Joust called?

Jhoan

^^I forgot lol.

Cross posting this from the meet up thread. Basically, I'm with PXG and a few other GAF members hanging out at a bar right this moment:

All right guys here's the deal. PXG gave me the green light to say this. I'm at Rudy's (44 and 45th between 9th) with PXG, number47, and PXG's friend. This is an improptu mini meet up so if anyone'e free, come on down. I'm gonna leave my number (quote to reveal). I'm DEAD SERIOUS.

Just got a new internship in south Brooklyn for the summer! It seems to be near an area called "Flatlands." Anyone know much about this area? I'm hoping to keep my commute to less than 30 minutes, anyone able to recommend good places to live near there? I know it's NYC, but would I need a car at all there?

nitewulf

Just got a new internship in south Brooklyn for the summer! It seems to be near an area called "Flatlands." Anyone know much about this area? I'm hoping to keep my commute to less than 30 minutes, anyone able to recommend good places to live near there? I know it's NYC, but would I need a car at all there?

umm, flatlands is pretty much the boonies of brooklyn. how the hell did you manage to get an internship there?

i would advice looking for apartments between Ocean Parkway and Coney Island Avenue, and Avenue J to Avenue N, which is fairly close to Flatlands and is a much better neighborhood. though these are very residential, predominantly Jewish and Pakistani neighborhoods...so there's not much as far as nightlife.

umm, flatlands is pretty much the boonies of brooklyn. how the hell did you manage to get an internship there?

i would advice looking for apartments between Ocean Parkway and Coney Island Avenue, and Avenue J to Avenue N, which is fairly close to Flatlands and is a much better neighborhood. though these are very residential, predominantly Jewish and Pakistani neighborhoods...so there's not much as far as nightlife.

you have got to be kidding me. how far off is good nightlife? I wouldn't mind having a longer commute if it meant I'd be closer to actually being in a fun area. People are hoping to visit me..I can't disappoint them

addik

For AD fans, apparently there'll be a Never Nude convention tomorrow at Times Square. First 8 dozens (96) to be at Times Square by noon with their cut-offs will get a prize. Anyone coming? I don't have a cut-off, so I'll prolly just wear short shorts

bob page

you have got to be kidding me. how far off is good nightlife? I wouldn't mind having a longer commute if it meant I'd be closer to actually being in a fun area. People are hoping to visit me..I can't disappoint them
It's not really anywhere close to Manhattan- maybe 45 mins via subway? It's definitely a more suburb feel than areas of Brooklyn closer to the city.

So I guess it would be a good idea to get a place somewhere in between flatlands and manhattan.. probably a bit closer to manhattan. Is having a car advisable up there in BK?

nitewulf

a good area would be Kensington, Cortelyou Road from Coney Island to Ocean Avenue, there's a very nice emergent scene of small restaurants and bars...near the Q train line. it will be more expensive and not too far to Flatlands via bus (not sure which train will be close to your work). that's about the only thing I can recommend. You would love living in Fort Greene, Gowanus, Cobble Hill and Park Slope...but they are very expensive.

Refer to this map.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Brooklyn_neighborhoods_map.png

Try Fort Greene and Clinton Hill, Lefferts Gardens, Crown Heights (nearer the park), Prospect Heights. This should be somewhat affordable and absolutely fantastic during the summer. Lots of bars, beer gardens, access to the park (free concerts), Brooklyn botanical garden, Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), Brooklyn Museum and great food.

bob page

So I guess it would be a good idea to get a place somewhere in between flatlands and manhattan.. probably a bit closer to manhattan. Is having a car advisable up there in BK?

Depends on if your place has a parking spot for you or not. The closer you to get to the city, the more outrageously expensive and difficult it will be to park. Most people who live close to the city don't own cars. If you chose to live out there, though, it may be advisable since groceries and other stores are farther apart and not on every block.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm gonna be visiting your fair city this weekend. Got my girlfriend and I reservations at WD-50 for the tasting menu. I'm really excited!

Went to a random pizza joint as I walked past, it was on 29th and 7th. I think the name is New Town Pizza II. Not that good. I got 1 plain slice as a basis for comparison and a chicken parm slice. Neither tasted like anything at all, just zero taste. Garlic knots were really good though, I scraped some of the garlic off of those and put it on my pizza crust

bob page

Went to a random pizza joint as I walked past, it was on 29th and 7th. I think the name is New Town Pizza II. Not that good. I got 1 plain slice as a basis for comparison and a chicken parm slice. Neither tasted like anything at all, just zero taste. Garlic knots were really good though, I scraped some of the garlic off of those and put it on my pizza crust

Rule #51 of NYC: Always use Yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-pizza-town-ii-new-york

a good area would be Kensington, Cortelyou Road from Coney Island to Ocean Avenue, there's a very nice emergent scene of small restaurants and bars...near the Q train line. it will be more expensive and not too far to Flatlands via bus (not sure which train will be close to your work). that's about the only thing I can recommend. You would love living in Fort Greene, Gowanus, Cobble Hill and Park Slope...but they are very expensive.

Refer to this map.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Brooklyn_neighborhoods_map.png

Try Fort Greene and Clinton Hill, Lefferts Gardens, Crown Heights (nearer the park), Prospect Heights. This should be somewhat affordable and absolutely fantastic during the summer. Lots of bars, beer gardens, access to the park (free concerts), Brooklyn botanical garden, Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), Brooklyn Museum and great food.

Awesome tips man, gonna do my best to find a place in Park Slope

beat

I think I read a blog about this recently: http://siegel.tumblr.com/post/41872109219/if-you-spend-any-time-at-the-ucb-training-center

If you spend any time at the UCB Training Center, then you've probably been tempted by the terrible pizza place across the street. It seems so close. You only have a few minutes before class. It's cheap.

Enough.

The pizza-like product they serve barely meets the quality standards of a middle school roller rink birthday party, and I cannot abide people consuming it, when some of city's truly elite pie lives a mere block away.

[...]

I hope I don't catch you across the street. There are no excuses.

Let's talk about great bars.

Have any of you been to the Brooklyn Buschenschank?
It's a german bar in Cobble Hill/ Carol Gardens area with awesome, fuck-yeah hot fresh pretzels and great beer.

bob page

Let's talk about great bars.

Have any of you been to the Brooklyn Buschenschank?
It's a german bar in Cobble Hill/ Carol Gardens area with awesome, fuck-yeah hot fresh pretzels and great beer.

Nice, I love German beers. I usually go to Radegast in Williamsburg or Spritzenhaus in Greenpoint when I'm in the mood for that kind of thing.

Jhoan

Happy 4th of July folks. The Statue of Liberty reopened today. Not sure if that includes the crown too.

All right so I've been getting PM's and text messages lately from several GAF members regarding what's the deal with the next meet up. For the record, Mahonay was supposed to make the next thread. He told me was going to make the thread last week. I checked OT to see if that was the case but it was not there. Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that Mahonay's too busy to make the thread.

I hit him up this past Tuesday morning again but no response. Therefore, I'm thinking about taking over and making the thread due to him not being responsive or picking someone else as I would like to a back seat on the planning. Does anybody agree? Or should I give it a couple of extra days to see what happens? As to when I would like it to be, it would probably be towards the end of this month or early next month.

Of course, I mean no disrespect to Mahonay by putting him on the spot since he I know he's a busy person with a job and stuff like many of us. This is a simple issue that needs to be addressed once and for all.

thomaser

I'm going to NY for 3-4 days in late October, and will be staying in the Flatiron District (E 29th Street/Madison Avenue). It's for a conference, and the group I'm with will mostly stay near the hotel, but also spend some time at the south-eastern corner of Central Park.

Any tips for good eats? I've made a long list of places I want to try, but most of them are a good way away from the hotel. I'll probably have one or maybe two days to use as I want.

So far, these are the places near the hotel that seem interesting:
- Breslin's (16 W 29th St: breakfast, lunch)
- Stumptown Coffee Roasters (16 W 29th St)
- Shake Shack (Madison Park: burgers)
- Eleven Madison Park (11 Madison Avenue: dinner)
- 2nd Ave Deli (162 E 33rd St: sandwich, soup)
- Lucid Cafe (311 Lexington Ave: coffee)
- Maialino (2 Lexington Ave: lunch, dinner)

And somewhat near south Central Park:
- Brooklyn Diner USA (212 West 57th St: seems like a tourist trap, but I want to try a "classic" diner. Think of the Nighthawk-painting and you know what I mean...)
- Carnegie Deli (854 7th Ave: sandwiches)
- Patsy's Pizzeria (206 East 60th St: pizza)
- Bouchon Bakery (1 Rockefeller Plaza)
- Per Se (10 Columbus Circle: dinner)

I've never been in NY before, so these are only places I've read about in various lists. There must be tons of great places I don't know about. Mostly interested in great coffee, and pancakes! The best pancake-places seem to be further south, such as Shopsins. As for coffee, I've found several "Joe Coffee" around the city. They seem very good. Ports Coffee & Tea and Café Grumpy are not so far away from the hotel. Any others I should consider? Remember: coffee and pancakes!

working and living. I got tickets to see Monkey: Journey to the West with my girlfriend tomorrow, but we broke up this past week, so now I have an extra ticket.

Jhoan

Drawing, volunteering, bashing my head against the wall with online dating (my bro's been having way more success than me) but staying strong, buying cheap vidya games, recently discovered the magic that is Twitter, and procrastinating on establishing my website and personal goals for the summer. My mother's going out of town on the 19th for a month which means it'll be me and my play boy of a brother. I'll be putting on my chef's hat and using my decent culinary skills for a month.

I need a little bit of spice in my otherwise boring summer existence. There's an NYC Game Industry Meet and Greet at Barcade next Friday that I plan on going to and there's the Dare 2 Draw later this month to look forward to.

Drawing, volunteering, bashing my head against the wall with online dating (my bro's been having way more success than me) but staying strong, buying cheap vidya games, recently discovered the magic that is Twitter, and procrastinating on establishing my website and personal goals for the summer. My mother's going out of town on the 19th for a month which means it'll be me and my play boy of a brother. I'll be putting on my chef's hat and using my decent culinary skills for a month.

I need a little bit of spice in my otherwise boring summer existence. There's an NYC Game Industry Meet and Greet at Barcade next Friday that I plan on going to and there's the Dare 2 Draw later this month to look forward to.

Whats Dare 2 Draw?

Smeghead

Anyone know the best place to get pre season Jets tickets? Trying to find them for the game against the Eagles but i'm having no luck on their official website.

Is StubHub reputable?

Nesotenso

ok am hoping some locals can give some suggestions.

My brother is going to be in Manhattan this week. is staying at the midtown hilton . he is gonna be meeting with accounting firms in the mornings and afternoons but has his evenings free.

any advise about travelling around Manhattan and catch the sights while saving money ?

must see sights ? walking tours ? any tips for a person there for the first time is appreciated

Jhoan

just a bump for my previous post.

some suggestions from native NYers would be great.
Dude, I hate to say it but no one checks this thread any more since it's in Community. This thread's a ghost town. There's plenty of GAF threads on this same topic if you search for them; you can also go back several pages through this thread and view the OP. I've been lurking in this thread since I subscribe to it so I'll give you my two cents. Buy a Metrocard since it's the cheapest way to get around. As for places:

MoMA; it's in walkable distance from the Hilton.
The Cloisters (take the A train north to 190th street; about 25 mins away from Times Square; it's in my neighborhood).
The Met; Pro tip: It's pay what you wish but suggested donation says $20; real New Yorkers donate a penny. It's what I always donate whenever I go.
Top of The Rock which has tours; walkable distance from Times Square
Nintendo World right down the block
Central Park
China Town (Canal St)
South Street Seaport

Avoid the Empire State building.

Don't stop in the middle of the street to take pictures.

bob page

I'd recommend Brooklyn Bridge Park, Washington Square Park and High Line to that.

Free Uniqlo Fridays are still going on at the Moma too.

Nesotenso

Dude, I hate to say it but no one checks this thread any more since it's in Community. This thread's a ghost town. There's plenty of GAF threads on this same topic if you search for them; you can also go back several pages through this thread and view the OP. I've been lurking in this thread since I subscribe to it so I'll give you my two cents. Buy a Metrocard since it's the cheapest way to get around. As for places:

MoMA; it's in walkable distance from the Hilton.
The Cloisters (take the A train north to 190th street; about 25 mins away from Times Square; it's in my neighborhood).
The Met; Pro tip: It's pay what you wish but suggested donation says $20; real New Yorkers donate a penny. It's what I always donate whenever I go.
Top of The Rock which has tours; walkable distance from Times Square
Nintendo World right down the block
Central Park
China Town (Canal St)
South Street Seaport

Avoid the Empire State building.

Don't stop in the middle of the street to take pictures.

duly noted. thanks for the help.

beat

Man, the look on the face of the woman who took my $12 or $15 donation at the Met... I probably would have incinerated on the spot if I'd tried to donate a penny.

Shinriji

Going for a 2 week vacation in NY (september 14-29). I want to see a baseball game there, so what is the place online to buy some cheap tickets?

Top Bottom