• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

friday

Hi NYGaf,

In April i'm going for a week to NYC.
we decided to grab a burger at shake shack one day and the other day to go eat at 11 madison park. Are there any other resto's that we have to check out? normal prices. (11 madison is for work).
and what would be the better american dining experience (pancakes etc..)?
Ow and my GF loves the age of 40-50's (bioshock and so on..) so if there are any resto's in that style i would love to hear about them!
thx

If you like ramen the go to Ippudo. It's always busy and you will probably have to wait 45 minutes for a table, but it's totally worth it.

TangMeng

There's just too many meetups I think. If they were quarterly or something, people would make more of an effort to go and they'd be more special since they don't happen as often.

That's a good point. I made this one because I promised I would last time. I agree that we're probably having too many.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
There's just too many meetups I think. If they were quarterly or something, people would make more of an effort to go and they'd be more special since they don't happen as often.

Yeah this is why I rarely go to them besides the fact of work but if they were a little more important I would go more. Better spaced out more fun.

Jhoan

Guys, you can't blame TangMeng for making a thread this month. I was pretty close to cancelling the meet up last month, but went through with it simply to be true to my word.

I think it is better every two months simply because I've seen a higher turnout rate first hand. Does that mean a ton of people have to come out in order to have fun? I don't think so; I've been proven wrong on numerous occasions.

What typically happens is that at the end of a meet up, we decide whether to reconvene in one month or two. Sometimes someone can't wait two months and decides to make a thread to a cold/tepid reception. It happens.

I acknowledge the fact that people don't feel too excited if they see a meet up thread every month. There doesn't have to be a thread for every meet up. If someone's visiting and wants to have a drink with a handful of members, posting in this thread is perfect for that; it's worked well in the past.

That's my two cents on the whole meet up issue. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm angry, but I want to clear the air on this. Again, I'm totally on board with the idea of having a meet up every two months. It works much better in case people need to recuperate their money or what have you.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Guys, you can't blame TangMeng for making a thread this month. I was pretty close to cancelling the meet up last month, but went through with it simply to be true to my word.

I think it is better every two months simply because I've seen a higher turnout rate first hand. Does that mean a ton of people have to come out in order to have fun? I don't think so; I've been proven wrong on numerous occasions.

What typically happens is that at the end of a meet up, we decide whether to reconvene in one month or two. Sometimes someone can't wait two months and decides to make a thread to a cold/tepid reception. It happens.

I acknowledge the fact that people don't feel too excited if they see a meet up thread every month. There doesn't have to be a thread for every meet up. If someone's visiting and wants to have a drink with a handful of members, posting in this thread is perfect for that; it's worked well in the past.

That's my two cents on the whole meet up issue. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm angry, but I want to clear the air on this. Again, I'm totally on board with the idea of having a meet up every two months. It works much better in case people need to recuperate their money or what have you.

Its cool as shit to do them often. Just have a main huge ass one to fuck it all up. When you do a thread thats when it should be a shit show night.

Mully

We're not blaming Tang for making the thread at all. It's an awesome idea and February or some month in the summer should be the annual/biannual month for meetups.

It's a complaint that's been going around for a while. Meetups are meetups because they're meetups, not hang outs. You go to them to meet with the regulars and chill with new people.

NYC GAF is huge and lately it's becoming really small. While this is a great thing to be able to talk with new found friends it's not the best way to have a GAF meetup. For instance, I now know I have at least ten guys that are awesome to chill with through GAF. We don't have to hang out just because we are on the same message board. If we want to hang out with the regulars, text them.

GAF meetups are a celebration of GAF.

Jhoan

We're not blaming Tang for making the thread at all. It's an awesome idea and February or some month in the summer should be the annual/biannual month for meetups.

It's a complaint that's been going around for a while. Meetups are meetups because they're meetups, not hang outs. You go to them to meet with the regulars and chill with new people.

NYC GAF is huge and lately it's becoming really small. While this is a great thing to be able to talk with new found friends it's not the best way to have a GAF meetup.
For instance, I now know I have at least ten guys that are awesome to chill with through GAF. We don't have to hang out just because we are on the same message board. If we want to hang out with the regulars, text them.

It's true what you're saying. Plenty of guys that I've met through here that are easily people I can see myself hanging out with outside of meet ups. However, I don't contact anyone outside of meet ups for the most for some odd reason.

One of the few people who has contacted me outside of meet ups was gibut. However, there would be times where I was either sick or busy with school so it didn't end up working because of the timing (if you're out there reading this, I appreciate the invites). Another instance was when Raging Spaniard and I went to the Draw-A-Thon last year which was a very fun experience.

It seems that the closed nature of the meet ups of late (due to them being more of the hang out kind) is scaring new people away which clashes with the idea of wanting to see new faces at every meet up. Making them every two months now that I think about it gives us more time to plan it out.

The intention is always to have fun (even if it may be at settings that people might not prefer e.g. bars which has been the staple place), talk about GAF in person, hot threads; the works and above all, open to everyone (if age is not a problem). It is basically celebrating GAF.

bob page

NYC GAF is huge and lately it's becoming really small. While this is a great thing to be able to talk with new found friends it's not the best way to have a GAF meetup. For instance, I now know I have at least ten guys that are awesome to chill with through GAF. We don't have to hang out just because we are on the same message board. If we want to hang out with the regulars, text them.

For me, anyway, I haven't been to any in the past while because I can always say "oh, there will just be another one next month- I can go to that one." Between working full time and having my gf living with me now, it's difficult to make it to monthly meetups and the allure of them has decreased based on their frequency. No one is blaming anyone, and it's great that you guys want to hang out with each other. I'm just saying to make a "big" meetup, perhaps it's best to keep the occurrence down to lure more people in.

Setreal

I've been working on excel spreadsheets all day and I think I'm about to go blind from boredom. Anything exciting going on tonight?

Visiting new york in a few weeks. Whats some of the best pizza places to visit? Best place to go for a meal that has a TGI style menu? What about best ice cream or donut places? Any other places to eat that are worth checking out because they do something unique/the best?

Joe

Can you guys recommend places in Manhattan to go to with my friends for my birthday? Will consider a Brooklyn spot if its amazing.

Some guidelines:

- it must be funfunfun
- not a small venue (there will be 20 of us)
- must have a dance floor and dj
- relatively inexpensive (no places with $15+ covers and $8/9+ beer)

Just looking to have a blast with my friends without breaking the bank.

Mully

Can you guys recommend places in Manhattan to go to with my friends for my birthday? Will consider a Brooklyn spot if its amazing.

Some guidelines:

- it must be funfunfun

That part's going to be tough.

bob page

There are plenty of places with less than $8 beer but not really any that also have dance floors. Many of those places are around Meatpacking and will cost a bit more.

Bar 9 in Hell's Kitchen usually has a DJ and $5-6 beers, also has a pretty chill atmosphere that's half bar/half lounge.

Joe

Ok well how about a really fun place, with a dance floor, and little (less than $10) to no cover charge?

Thanks for the input so far, appreciate it!

I'm just trying to balance fun and relative affordability. I don't want everyone to pay for $25 covers and $15 drinks.

Jhoan

I suppose you can try One and One since we've been there twice on two meet ups. No cover charge, dance floor downstairs. Women to men ratio is very YMMV depending on the day and time. The last time we went, the men to women ratio was 4:1 so take that as you will. The dance floor looks like the 6 train during rush hour (read: very hot and no breathing room).

Anyone know a good way to search for roommates in NYC? I'm thinking about moving out, but is thinking about finding a roommate to share with to lower the burden. I know craigslist, but just the reputation of the place makes me want to try a different method. I lived in NYC most of my life, but I have my family to support me.

bob page

Anyone have opinions on Fat Black Pussycat, M1-5, or R Bar?

My gf has been to M1-5 and said it was kind of janky. To be expected for most of those places, though.

Just a random cool thing: I ended up going to ABC Kitchen on Valentine's Day and it was excellent. Oh and probably has the best calamari I've ever tasted.

Smeghead

Anyone had any experience using airbnb? The whole 'less than 30 day stay' illegal thing is putting me off, but the prices are cheaper than conventional hotels.

Some guidelines:

- it must be funfunfun

This place called 49 Grove is a solid place for birthday parties. They also have open bar for $30 from 9-1230 and cheap bottle service compared to most high end spots such as Lavo, Avenue and Marquee. Its also in the village area so you can bounce around from place to place.

scosher

So I'm currently apartment hunting, and I figure instead of rooming with total strangers on Craigslist, why not room with not-so-total strangers on GAF?

Anyone in NYC GAF interested and looking for an apartment as well? Right now I'm primarily looking at 2-3BR in Brooklyn (Park Slope, Carrol Gardens, Fort Greene and nearby areas) or Queens (Astoria or Long Island City), but I work in Midtown right by Herald Square/MSG, so I'm open to a lot of other locations that are accessible to the many subway lines that go there.

Hit me up with a PM if interested.

My wife & I *may* move in May. Currently pay $2k for a studio with a wall in Murray Hill, but looking to find something maybe around $1500. I can't imagine there would be anything like that in Manhattan, right?

So I'm currently apartment hunting, and I figure instead of rooming with total strangers on Craigslist, why not room with not-so-total strangers on GAF?

Anyone in NYC GAF interested and looking for an apartment as well? Right now I'm primarily looking at 2-3BR in Brooklyn (Park Slope, Carrol Gardens, Fort Greene and nearby areas) or Queens (Astoria or Long Island City), but I work in Midtown right by Herald Square/MSG, so I'm open to a lot of other locations that are accessible to the many subway lines that go there.

Hit me up with a PM if interested.

This is bound to be thread-worthy.

I was thinking about going to the Kavinsky show at Webster Hall today but it doesn't look like I may get the chance. Such a shame...I did like his new record too. =[

bob page

SO GOOD.

885033_4730839509852_841630383_o.jpg

addik

Any good ideas for Spring Break activities in NYC? My dad forgot to buy me tickets to see him in LA, so I'm stuck in NYC. I am planning on catching some B'way shows with a Student ticket discount, but other than that I'm not sure what else to do :/

Help gaf?

Jhoan

Any good ideas for Spring Break activities in NYC? My dad forgot to buy me tickets to see him in LA, so I'm stuck in NYC. I am planning on catching some B'way shows with a Student ticket discount, but other than that I'm not sure what else to do :/

Help gaf?

Since this post has been over looked, I'll throw my two cents in. It depends on what you're into so I can't say. For example, since I'm interested in joining the game industry, I'll go to gaming related events. You're saying you want to spend it productively right? I suppose you can volunteer at a ton of places. If you don't to pay to see shows? Why not volunteer there instead? Here's a link for that:

http://www.nycservice.org/#s

There's also the NY Auto Show at the Javits Center from March 29-April 7. Not into cars but you want to shoot the breeze taking pictures in cars you probably won't be able to afford? This is definitely the place to do it at.

Lastly, here's a link to free events around the city that are coming up:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/events

NYC is pretty dull if you want to have a crazy stereotypical Spring Break in the form of partying, but you can definitely spend it productively and still have a nice Spring Break.

--
On another note regarding the next meet up, I will make the thread by this weekend. I haven't done any research on a place to set it at, but I just want to have it up and running. It will be in April, so keep calm and lie down folks. I can assure you guys that the warmer weather and more daylight will be something on my mind as I look up places (beer pong redux anyone?).

Oh and that reminds me, April means that Staten Island GAF (I'm looking at you smokey) will be able to come into the city easily again since the MTA is going to open the old South Ferry station while they fix their state of the art terminal which will cost 600 million dollars to fix. I read that in yesterday's AM New York.

i remember smokey being pretty repulsive about going to staten island..personally i would love that since i have never been their..

on a separate note, i am going on a movie date this weekend nyc Gaf..someone suggest me a good place where i can also find some place to eat after the movie..extra points if it's not too expensive

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
i remember smokey being pretty repulsive about going to staten island..personally i would love that since i have never been their..

on a separate note, i am going on a movie date this weekend nyc Gaf..someone suggest me a good place where i can also find some place to eat after the movie..extra points if it's not too expensive

I live here there is nothing to do here honestly.

Kisaya

spring is actually the best time to visit the city imo

It depends on the borough. I feel like there's nothing to do in Manhattan during spring time, whereas in the winter it's so festive. Brooklyn is so gloomy during winter but it literally BLOOMS once it hits spring.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey guys, where can I go for Tex Mex in the city?

Everyone keeps sending us to Rosa Mexicano and Dos Caminos. Both of which are shit. I am unimpressed with bland guacamole being made table side.

My friends and I will be visiting the city at the beginning of April for 6 days, but we'll be staying Passaic, NJ at a friend's condo (for free). What's the best way to get around from where we're staying to the city? Any other tips while we're there for travel? I'm mainly concerned about heading to bars/clubs and getting back. Thanks.

bob page

Just a heads up that Warby Parker opened a legitimate store in SoHo this weekend (@ 121 Greene):

Also, Smorgasburg is back as of last week. Has a new, larger location at the East River Park (in Williamsburg right next to where it was the previous years).

bob page

Anyone have any ideas for a team dinner that's upscale yet has a fun environment? Looking for between $50-75pp. We've gone to ilili and Buddakan in the past and those turned out great, but I'm having a hard time finding something that works for larger groups.

My current fallback choice is Rosa Mexicano if I can't find anything else.

Top Bottom