• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Haribo

Banned
Cheers man, it tastes pretty much the same as at home in England so we're sticking with it.

Been here a day and a half now, love it here. Can't wait to check out the high lin.! Only disappointment is the free wifi around the city - it never fucking connects on my iPhone 5 and boingo doesn't appear to actually be free. We went on a really great boat tour around the city that had a really informative commentary!

Very happy :)

bob page

I finally went to Ippudo last night- holy eff. One of my favorite meals in years and a new favorite in the city.

We got there at 4:30 and there were already about 15 people in front of us. By the time 4:45 hit, the line was down the block & around the corner.

Luckily we got seated right away and the food came extremely fast. The pork buns were incredible & the ramen was the best I've ever had.

Haribo

Banned
Our last day in NYC is Thursday, which is Thanksgiving meaning almost everything is shut. We're going to watch the parade and have a wonder around Central Park as well as check out the High Line, but what else will there be for us to do in the city? Being British the event itself is meaningless to us.

Hey NY Gaf,

I will be visiting your fair city from Australia in December for eight days. Here's what I've got planned:

Dec 14th - Le Bernardin tasting menu lunch
Dec 16th - WWE TLC
Dec 17th - Per Se tasting menu dinner
Dec 18th - Grace on Broadway (wife is a big Paul Rudd fan)
Dec 19th - Eleven Madison Park tasting menu lunch, New York Knicks vs Brooklyn Nets game

I've also ear-marked a few other places to eat including Amy Ruth's, Gray's Papaya and Ippudo for lunch. If I've got it right, I don't think I need reservations to go there.

I'm also looking forward to doing the regular touristy stuff including visiting your awesome array of museums and art galleries.

I've got a few questions:

- Are there any recommended places to go if we want to check out a comedy club? There seems to be a whole bunch when I look online and I don't really know where to start.

- Any recommended places to go for breakfast? I'd ideally like places near our hotel. We're staying at The Benjamin.

- Whats the best way to get discount Broadway tickets? I remember in Leicester Square in London there was a box office that specifically sold last minute cheap tickets. Is there something similar in New York?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated :)

beat

- Are there any recommended places to go if we want to check out a comedy club? There seems to be a whole bunch when I look online and I don't really know where to start.

If you're willing to go outside of standup, I would suggest maybe checking out some improvised comedy at UCB: http://newyork.ucbtheatre.com/ ... actually, I guess UCB and UCB East do some standup shows too, but I've never seen those.

So a friend wants to celebrate his bday eating Asian BBQ(Korean or Japanese). We're willing to spend like $30-$40 per person. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant? If not, we'll just eat at some random korean BBQ place in K-town.

Jhoan

So a friend wants to celebrate his bday eating Asian BBQ(Korean or Japanese). We're willing to spend like $30-$40 per person. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant? If not, we'll just eat at some random korean BBQ place in K-town.
During the GAF meet up August, we ate at a Korean restaurant called Madangsui near 34th (I forgot where). Look up the Yelp page. It was pretty good. The prices are decent. I'm sure bob page can recommend some good Japanese restaurants.

Jhoan

Where do you guys take dates?
Old Lard's got himself a date I see. That's good. ;)
Please tell us you really do have a date.

Museums e.g. MoMA, The Met, etc. Ice skating e.g. Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, etc. Play pool somewhere e.g. Amsterdam Billiards near Union Square (closer to Astor Place). Art galleries e.g. the Chelsea galleries, bars such as the often mentioned Valhalla on 54th and 9th, eat ice cream, frozen yogurt, etc. It doesn't have to be pricey contrary to what many people think.

Jason would tell you that it's better to go on a date during the day which I'll agree with depending on the chick's schedule/availability. I hope this helps and good luck on the date.

Old Lace

This ain't no joke, son! This is a GAF emergency. Don't you guys know of any restaurants/bars that aren't too noisy on Friday around 6:30-ish.

Jhoan

This ain't no joke, son! This is a GAF emergency. Don't you guys know of any restaurants/bars that aren't too noisy on Friday around 6:30-ish.

Congrats on the date then. Valhalla maybe. That's happy hour time though so it might be packed. I can't say. I suppose number47 and jasonng would know more about this than I do. Hell, I'm sure bob page knows of several places.

You could try PM'ing number47 assuming he's not already lurking in this thread. In Manhattan right? That's the only bar that I can really think of that I would take a chick to since it's pretty chill.

During the GAF meet up August, we ate at a Korean restaurant called Madangsui near 34th (I forgot where). Look up the Yelp page. It was pretty good. The prices are decent. I'm sure bob page can recommend some good Japanese restaurants.
I think I ate there before. I remember it being really good.

Han Joo looks good. How does it compare to the ones in K-town? Looking at the reviews on yelp, seems like a good choice.

Mahonay

Banned
Looks like I'm moving back to the Ridgewood/Bushwick area around March. Looking forward to being back there. I've been in Long Island City (near Astoria in Queens) and it's pretty boring. This will be a lot closer to the places I typically like to hang out at.

Hopefully this room I have lined up works out.

codhand

Looks like I'm moving back to the Ridgewood/Bushwick area around March. Looking forward to being back there. I've been in Long Island City (near Astoria in Queens) and it's pretty boring. This will be a lot closer to the places I typically like to hang out at.

Hopefully this room I have lined up works out.

LIC aint bad.

addik

Hey guys, newbie here! It's such perfect timing that my account got activated days before I leave for NYC. I am staying there for 5-6 months as a University Exchange Student.

To all you NYC people, would taking the subway from JFK to the center of Manhattan be advisable? I am exhausting all my choices (Cab, Subway, Train from Jamaica to Penn Station) on getting to the dorm from the airport, and I'm currently thinking about taking the Subway. Getting a Cab is too expensive (I'll have to spend $60+ and it might be traffic when I get there), when I use the train, I'll eventually have to take the subway to get to my dorm (which is a walking distance from Columbus Circle), so I'm thinking of taking the Subway. Is this advisable or should I just take the cab instead?

Thanks!

PS: What time is usually rush hour in NYC?

Arsenic

Rush hour is usually from 7am - 10am and 4pm to about 7pm.

You can take the AirTrain to the manhattan-bound E Train at Sutphin Blvd station (NYC Subway) which will drop you off exactly by Colombus Circle train station. It is about a 30 minute ride total, depending on the time of day. Be advised though, the AirTrain heads towards two different locations, so ask an agent where you are trying to head. Train fare is $2.50 (single ride).

The other option, albeit more expensive, is the LIRR (Long Island Railroad). For about $4-8 (depends on time/day) to can have a comfortable ride straight into the city, 20mins about. The problem is it drops you off at 34th street, from which you'd have to wait on a ridiculously long line for a cab or spend another $2.50 for a train fare to 59th. Stay the fuck away from the LIRR during rush hours.

Enjoy your stay :)

Hey guys, newbie here! It's such perfect timing that my account got activated days before I leave for NYC. I am staying there for 5-6 months as a University Exchange Student.

To all you NYC people, would taking the subway from JFK to the center of Manhattan be advisable? I am exhausting all my choices (Cab, Subway, Train from Jamaica to Penn Station) on getting to the dorm from the airport, and I'm currently thinking about taking the Subway. Getting a Cab is too expensive (I'll have to spend $60+ and it might be traffic when I get there), when I use the train, I'll eventually have to take the subway to get to my dorm (which is a walking distance from Columbus Circle), so I'm thinking of taking the Subway. Is this advisable or should I just take the cab instead?

Thanks!

PS: What time is usually rush hour in NYC?

Last time I was there I took a shuttle bus for $15 that dropped me off around 42nd and 7th - essentially right near Times Square. Very quick. I can't remember the name of the shuttle service, but it was advertised pretty clearly towards the exit of the airport.

Jhoan

Go figure. We're heading over to the Brooklyn one tonight. A Barcade in Manhattan is pretty cool. Now Manhattanites won't have to head out all the way to Williamsburg. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully this one will have a bigger variety of arcades (as nice as it is to see the arcade version of several Nintendo games).

friday

Figured I should post in here since my account recently got activated. I moved to NYC last august. I live in Sunset Park for now (southish Brooklyn). It has been a fun adventure for the most part, I now have a few regular places I like to go. Biggest issue is finding solid work. For right now I am working at Juilliard for one of the stage foremen, but the hours can sometimes be few and far between. I just joined with a temp agency last week so hopefully they will be able to help me find work.

The winter has not been a big issue so far, but temps look to keep dropping. I moved here from Atlanta so a long cold winter is not the norm for me.

What parts of town do you guys live in?

This is probably the wrong place to ask for a detailed answer, but where are some bugdet hotels/hostels that my friend and I can stay at?

We're looking for about 12 days in September, and wanna spend about $2k. It doesn't sound like much but the hotels are looking like the most expensive part of the whole hotel

friday

This is probably the wrong place to ask for a detailed answer, but where are some budget hotels/hostels that my friend and I can stay at?

We're looking for about 12 days in September, and wanna spend about $2k. It doesn't sound like much but the hotels are looking like the most expensive part of the whole hotel

It might be hard to find one this far ahead but people often sublet their apartments for short amounts of time. I know some people who stay for longer often take advantage of that. Maybe check sublets on CL to get an idea of what you might want.

There are also Hostels in NYC, but that wont be very nice.

beat

There are also Hostels in NYC, but that wont be very nice.
I like hostel living. They're not nice like hotels are nice, but who cares? It's a place to sleep and that's about it. But the one I've been to three times over the last decade is currently closed for renovations. ... Actually, I think the city might have shut them down to get them up to code, so. =/ Too bad, it had a nice location right on Times Square. (I know Times Square is ridiculously touristy, but it's also where the most subway lines converge, so it's a great place to start a subway trip.)

Anyways, Mecha_Infantry, you might as well check out hostels.com. Make sure you know where the hostel is and if that's in a location that suits you before you book, though.

... could also look at the extra-small hotels.

matt360

This is probably the wrong place to ask for a detailed answer, but where are some bugdet hotels/hostels that my friend and I can stay at?

How cheap are you talking? I'm not familiar with hostels in Manhattan, but you might also consider staying in Jersey City and taking the PATH train into Manhattan. It runs 24 hours (although not currently, due to Sandy, but you'll be good by September) and is super convenient. I've stayed at the Double Tree in Jersey City a couple times now and it's been great both times. Both times it was over New Years and even during peak season it was about $70 a night. I imagine it'd be cheaper in September. There's a PATH train just a couple minutes away from the hotel by foot, and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the heart of Manhattan.

Figured I should post in here since my account recently got activated. I moved to NYC last august. I live in Sunset Park for now (southish Brooklyn). It has been a fun adventure for the most part, I now have a few regular places I like to go. Biggest issue is finding solid work. For right now I am working at Juilliard for one of the stage foremen, but the hours can sometimes be few and far between. I just joined with a temp agency last week so hopefully they will be able to help me find work.

The winter has not been a big issue so far, but temps look to keep dropping. I moved here from Atlanta so a long cold winter is not the norm for me.

I live in bay Ridge buddy so I am next door to you. a ten minute ride on the R train. PM if you ever have questions.

my girlfriend used to work at Jazz hostels. I think they're still around.

edit: yep, here they are. a location in Brooklyn and the rest Manhattan.
http://www.jazzhostels.com/

not expensive.

I'll answer you guys individually, but I just want to give my appreciation to your help!

My friend and I spent 4 hours looking for decent stuff but gave up in the end due to frustration!

Jhoan

Welcome. I hope to see you in persona at a future GAF meet up. You and Old Lace are both Georgia transplants; he also moved to the city last September. He's also looking for another side job himself so you guys might something in common.

I live in Washington Heights (which is the northern side of Manhattan past 157th street). A lot of Dominican up here and many, many Dominican restaurants. I've lived here forever basically.

And you guys all live too damn far. I almost went out with a chick who lived in Bay Ridge. Since I barely know Brooklyn, I would like to visit that area out of whim one of these days.

Friend showed me this

Seems like would be interesting to at least check out

http://nygamecritics.com/2013/01/22/awards-how-to-rsvp-for-free-tickets/

That sounds like fun and it would be a good networking opportunity for me since I'm interested in working for the game industry. I have a class and a meeting on that day, but I would like to go. The Indiecade East Festival is also next month. They're looking for volunteers. I'm thinking about doing it but I haven't sent out the email yet.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm taking out a girl to ice skate. I need a good chocolate/coffee spot. I'm probably going to Bryant Park, if that helps.

Duo014

Hi NYGaf,

In April i'm going for a week to NYC.
we decided to grab a burger at shake shack one day and the other day to go eat at 11 madison park. Are there any other resto's that we have to check out? normal prices. (11 madison is for work).
and what would be the better american dining experience (pancakes etc..)?
Ow and my GF loves the age of 40-50's (bioshock and so on..) so if there are any resto's in that style i would love to hear about them!
thx

Mully

There's just too many meetups I think. If they were quarterly or something, people would make more of an effort to go and they'd be more special since they don't happen as often.

I concur. Make 'em every few months instead of monthly. Meetups lose their luster when they're monthly.

I'm 60% sure I'm coming to this one.

Top Bottom