• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York vows to sue Trump over immigrant children protections

KSweeley

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and the State's Attorney of New York is vowing that New York will sue Trump over the termination of DACA: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-immigrant-children-protections-idUSKCN1BF271

(Reuters) - New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and the state’s attorney general on Monday vowed to sue President Donald Trump if he scraps a program shielding from deportation immigrants who came to the United States illegally as children.

Cuomo said “the president’s action would upend the lives of hundreds of thousands of young people who have only ever called America their home.”

Enco

This is literally mind boggling.

Your whole life completely destroyed and taken away because of racism...

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I dunno.

Just sounds historically American to me.

This is Trumps version of the trail of tears that his assshat favorite president Andrew Jackson did prior. So yes, the only thing that amazes me is it's 2017..... I can't comprehend this happening now.

dgdas9

With only 3 paragraphs that article is a little barebones.

For those in the know:

*What's New York's standing here? They aren't the actual people affected by the change. Does this impinge on States' rights? Because I believe immigration policy isn't one.

*And what's their legal argument anyway? Does this contradict the Constitution in any way? Does it go against long standing legal traditions, jurisprudence and whatnot? I don't think so either.

Not that I agree with Trump's policy anyway. An open borders policy is the only one morally and economically sound, the way I see it. But doing something stupid isn't (always) illegal, and it wouldn't be the first mind boggling law a legislature approves of.

Eusis

I dunno.

Just sounds historically American to me.
... unfortunately. :/ I mean, it's probably safe to say this is what the trail of tears was, nevermind all the anti-civil rights bullshit.

But at its worst? This could be trail of tears awful all over again, while being outright devastating to the economy.

Lifeline

For those in the know:

*What's New York's standing here? They aren't the actual people affected by the change. Does this impinge on States' rights? Because I believe immigration policy isn't one.

*And what's their legal argument anyway? Does this contradict the Constitution in any way? Does it go against long standing legal traditions, jurisprudence and whatnot? I don't think so either.

Not that I agree with Trump's policy anyway. An open borders policy is the only one morally and economically sound, the way I see it. But doing something stupid isn't (always) illegal, and it wouldn't be the first mind boggling law a legislature approves of.

Probably something to curb ICE authority in the state to halt deportations.

adj_noun

Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson Vows to Sue Trump if He Ends DACA
“If President Trump follows through on his reported decision to cancel DACA after a six-month delay, the Washington Attorney General's Office will file suit to halt this cruel and illegal policy and defend DACA recipients,” Ferguson said, using the name associated with immigrants who qualify for DACA. About 19,000 DACA recipients live in Washington State. To qualify for DACA, an immigrant must have arrived in the United States before 2007 and his or her 16th birthday.

Ferguson joined New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman in vowing a challenge to Trump over DACA. In his statement, Ferguson said, "we expect to be joined by other states in this action."

This ain't going down without a fight.

Is the legality of DACA really that much in question? How was it in place for so long if it was illegal, and what are the odds this lawsuit will have any effect?

I don't follow politics particularly closely and I'm really confused by all the lawsuits surrounding DACA. Trump ended it in part because conservative leaders threatened to sue him if he didn't, right?

I've seen a lot of conservatives on FaceBook say things along the lines of "It's terrible people who came her as kids will be deported to countries they don't know, but protections for them should never have been enacted by executive order, Congress needs to pass legislation." I guess the EO is the issue but I can't believe how much of a shitshow this is. It seems like a very clear majority of people thinks it's wrong that Dreamers be deported, it's such bullshit the situation is the mess it is.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
What exactly is trumps reason for ending daca? Has there been a written policy of why or a press conference?

I dont understand how you can justify something so evil.

stupei

For those in the know:

Taking away so many residents, especially in New York, could be economically devastating, so it is directly linked to the well being of the state. I assume some of the legal approach will be that people who were here illegally that might have previously been in hiding to some extent had to self-identify in order to enroll in a program that will now be terminated, which could probably be argued is a form of entrapment.

What exactly is trumps reason for ending daca? Has there been a written policy of why or a press conference?

I dont understand how you can justify something so evil.

One of the only campaign promises he thinks he can fulfill because it doesn't require Congress. Also the only people who still say nice things about him online are white supremacists, and he needs daily affirmation.

This is Trumps version of the trail of tears that his assshat favorite president Andrew Jackson did prior. So yes, the only thing that amazes me is it's 2017..... I can't comprehend this happening now.

I think it's rather astute to find correlation with the trail of tears. It's not a direct comparison obviously because it's not genocide, but it can very well lead to deaths and homicides.

What Trump could possibly do is retroactively degrade Americas social structure and harm damn close to a million people who have contributed far more to this country than the fucking lying scumbag ever has.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is literally mind boggling.

Your whole life completely destroyed and taken away because of racism...

And remember the vast majority of that racism is from people who only benefit from immigration by enjoying subsidized food and service. They might never talk to a Mexican or Guatemalan in their life and actually just hate black people but have no way to deport them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It seems implausible that this lawsuit would work (surely there was no constitutional requirement for Obama to create DACA, which itself was on somewhat shaky constitutional ground, so surely a president can end it), but good on any state that takes every measure it can to protect and preserve the dignity of its residents.

Taking away so many residents, especially in New York, could be economically devastating, so it is directly linked to the well being of the state. I assume some of the legal approach will be that people who were here illegally that might have previously been in hiding to some extent had to self-identify in order to enroll in a program that will now be terminated, which could probably be argued is a form of entrapment.

My understanding is that entrapment laws in pretty much any situation cover authorities inducing individuals to commit a crime, not authorities inducing individuals to confess to a crime. Don't some police departments have situations like telling people with outstanding warrants they won contests and arresting them when they show up to receive the prize? Of course this is not quite the same. But I have no idea what might happen in a more directly comparable situation, like if there was a gun amnesty in a town and then police prosecuted people turning in guns during the amnesty. Certainly doing so is self-defeating because the legal system requires trust and cooperation, but I'm not sure if it'd be illegal or not.

Top Bottom