• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand tourist dies after being hit by jet blast on Maho beach in St. Maarten

Saya

Link

jetwash14n-2-web.jpg

Jet blast from a departing airplane killed a thrill-seeking tourist on a St. Maarten beach known for its views of low-flying airliners on approach.

The 57-year-old New Zealand woman vacationed on Maho beach, adjacent to Juliana International Airport, when she was knocked off her feet by a plane’s powerful wake, according to a police report posted on the 721 news site.

She was among a group of tourists who stood near a fence separating the runway from a narrow road and the beach.

The blast’s force tossed her to the ground and caused her to hit her head.

This is a famous beach that is located directly behind a runway.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Stencil

wtf that's legal? Not that there's any question of the danger after seeing it, but I hope at least there's some kind of sign or something that explains that it's dangerous to those who don't know what to expect.

Captain Fun

Neo Member
I remember seeing videos of people hanging on to fences as jet engines fired up and blew them around. Kinda surprised something like this didn't happen sooner.

sarcastor

wtf that's legal? Not that there's any question of the danger after seeing it, but I hope at least there's some kind of sign or something that explains that it's dangerous to those who don't know what to expect.

Airport authorities have posted signs warning the public not to hang on the fence separating the beach from the airport.

this is almost a Darwin award. Why are there droves of people hanging out there taking videos?

I did this on that beach.

Was kinda fun, ended up in the water after one took off. Got peppered by sand in the process.

It's definitely a bad idea.

Airport authorities have posted signs warning the public not to hang on the fence separating the beach from the airport.

this is almost a Darwin award. Why are there droves of people hanging out there taking videos?

Taking selfies with landing jumbo jet probably.

Jezbollah

Huh yeah I thought it would be crazy loud.

If it was 20 years ago it would be - but now apart from cost of flight (fuel efficiency) etc the next thing the likes of Airbus and Boeing like to optimise on their updates and new aircraft is reducing environmental impact of engine noise. There are spots in most countries where you can get to within a few dozen metres of a jet airliner taking off. It doesnt sound half as noisy compared to say, a Top Fuel dragster doing 300mph at the end of a quarter mile run.

As the report said - the issue here was jetblast - the forces the engine produces to obtain thrust for takeoff pushing those behind it off their feet - and the tourist hit their head after falling.

andthebeatgoeson

I've been there. It's kind of a thrill. You can walk there from the airport entrance and hang out while you wait for your flight to leave. Typical island wait. It's fun but I'm glad i did it while young.

Sucks for her and her family. I mostly saw small planes and one or two 747s. But i was kinda chicken when the big planes landed so i didn't get too close.

I would recommend going just to watch the planes. They have a bar there and a list of planes. Everyone knows when the big ones will land and take off. St Martins is not that great tho

I always go "holy shit" whenever I see footage of this airport. The people that hold on to the fence while the planes engines are going off are fucking nuts. Sad that it happened but honestly it's not that shocking.

KHlover

Banned
If it's not safe to be at the fence they might want to make that area inaccessible, maybe build another fence a couple meters closer to the beach?

televator

This situation is fucking stupid. How is this even a thing? Beach should be closed.

"Hey guys lets go stand in front a jet engine's blast and get fucking thrashed around by it."

How can this possibly sound like a good idea? Only a fucking idiot...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
But if it's dangerous outside of the fence then the fence clearly isn't covering a large enough area.

You can't fence what you don't own.

Kinyou

Makes you wonder if they shouldn't fence that part of the beach, but I imagine they'd get less tourists if they did

methane47

Does the lower half speak dutch and the northern half of the island speak French? Its weird how the Netherlands and France split up such a small island

We speak english on the bottom half..

Sucks about that lady there, but there are a bunch of signs up now, and they increased the distance from the fence to the road with another fence. People are WARNED not to do it but every day people do it.

The blast isnt really all that strong either from the planes now since the Big Beast 747 stopped coming.

Sad about that lady but completely avoidable.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I've heard about this thing for years, always wanted to try it, I'm only 26+heavy set so I'm on the low end of risks

If it's not safe to be at the fence they might want to make that area inaccessible, maybe build another fence a couple meters closer to the beach?
They could do that, but then some dumbass would drown at high tide wading around it and we'd be right back where we started.

Greddleok

Wait, she was there out of choice? I figured this was some freak accident, not some idiotic person throwing themselves into harms way deliberately..

Top Bottom