• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole conversation reminds me of a time when people thought Ryzen was going to be in the Xbox One X. The timelines match up too 16 months 6-8Months before release people thought it would have Ryzen and were let down when they found out is was still Jaguar even though the evidence was right in their faces that it was never going to happen.
Well...

eIA47ph.png

Bryank75

Banned
My local GameStop in a small town in west of Ireland has 10 preorders for PS5 already, all over a hundred euro. Kinda pissed that I’m not first on the list.... ha
Reassuring numbers above in any case, with the memory speed and hardware based raytracing, we should see some really cool things!

xool

just for the record

4x the power by this metric (just like the xbox claim)

[edit] Gonzalo is the supposed PS5 APU, or maybe just the dev kit .. dunno

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

ethomaz

Banned
MS is about CPU only... Phil or other MS guy confirmed in a interview.

20k compared with base PS4 5k is too low jump.

R600

Banned
This is PS4Pro...

3bda385e27494c8823618ad3a9f067a7-full.jpg

Seems all Sony console chips start with DG1XXX, while MS are DG3/4/5.

Last edited:
This was not the reason they didn't go Zen. It's been stated that it was a different architecture and that compatibility with Xbox One games would be an issue.

just for the record

4x the power by this metric (just like the xbox claim)

[edit] Gonzalo is the supposed PS5 APU, or maybe just the dev kit .. dunno

It's starting to become clear, Microsoft and Sony have the same APU with different customizations. There will be minimal difference, each with their own storage technologies.

Last edited:

SonGoku

This is PS4Pro...
Seems all Sony console chips start with DG1XXX, while MS are DG3/4/5.
Maybe apisak faked the numbers based on previous known numbering scheme
Matches Vega 7, RTX 2070.
It does? i see the RTX 2070 above in that bench and Radeon 7 is faster than the 2070
While this is true, I don't see AMD shoving anything bigger than the 5700XT into the console. Heat would be an even bigger issue than it is now.
Bigger chips clocked lower are more power efficient

LordOfChaos

What significant points did you take away from the video?

The benchmarks against the 2070 were against the Founders Edition for one, and they say they're trying to take a more honest approach to performance expectations than past AMD. They said they wanted to bring ray tracing when it's ready for everyone, and the current focus was competing with a 599 card and bringing that down to 450.

Some architectural details on Ryzen too mostly on Winodws scheduling, taking the clock picking latency down from 30ms to 1-2, cross CCX performance fixes in compilers, etc, I assume consoles are already well aware of all that

You know when a "insider" says "do not post publically" it means "why did you not posted yet?"
Ha, good one!

John no longer works at MS, so I thought it's fine to post it now (could have done it long time ago).

Lol didn’t know you have inside connections. Does he the know the specs of next gen???
I don't think so. Haven't talked to him in a while.

20k compared with base PS4 5k is too low jump.
Agreed (if we're talking about a 4x GPU jump).

The 1080p -> 4k transition alone is going to render the jump meaningless.

1.84 x 4 = 7.36 TF (GCN flops) = 5.88 TF (Navi flops)

It definitely doesn't deserve the "monster" moniker IMHO.

This was not the reason they didn't go Zen. It's been stated that it was a different architecture and that compatibility with Xbox One games would be an issue.
Uhm, we're talking about MS, the company that brought 360 BC.

Scarlett will be Zen/x86-based and it will run XB1/Jaguar compiled binaries just fine. Is there any doubt about that?

The "different uarch" excuse would be more believable for Sony, but even in that case, Cerny said that the PS5 will offer PS4 BC (via native execution, not emulation).

Don't you find their statements a bit contradictory? If Zen uarch was an obstacle for BC/native execution, they wouldn't choose Zen 2 for next-gen consoles.

Keep in mind that there was also a rumor (on this very forum) about a more expensive PS4 Pro SKU with a Zen CPU, but it would have cost $499 and it would have been delayed to March 2017. Instead, they chose to hit a $399 target and late 2016 release, so Jaguar it was.

SonGoku

SonGoku SonGoku
Many assumptions made on his post
If my word was worth anything, I can confirm that nextgen GPUs ARE Navi 10 aka RDNA 1.0.
Speculation=/confirmation
but it's very very common to see console APUs be more of a .5 variant of a chip, being based on specific gen but incorporating some features of unreleased gen of chips.
This point is valid if RDNA2 is indeed 2021 but... (see below)
Another thing to consider is that if AMD hasn't even finalized the RDNA 2.0 spec
Can you ask him how he came to that conclusion?
there is no way that sony/MS will be waiting till sometime n 2020 to have their first working engineering samples and then start building out the rest of the console around it. Sony/MS has their SOCsright now as we speak. They are building around it now and putting it through a barrage of tests.
In all likelihood AMD is prioritizing their semicustom business, finishing nextgen consoles RDNA2 chips, so they could already have working engineering samples
To release a Navi20 lineup they have to prepare multiple chips (80CU-72CU-64CU) and their in between disabled versions compared to consoles single version.
Its in AMDs best interest to make sure consoles are powered by their latest arch, that way they benefit from a generation of games tailored to their GPU architecture

Sony/MS wouldn't have chosen 2020 as a release date if they knew 7nm+ and RDNA2 wasn't going to be ready on time. 7nm DUV for all intents and purposes its not a node beneficial for big chips (APUS) they know this and that is why they are not launching earlier than 2020

That's my take on it.

Last edited:
Many assumptions made on his post

Speculation=/confirmation

This point is valid if RDNA2 is indeed 2021 but... (see below)

Can you ask him how he came to that conclusion?

In all likelihood AMD is prioritizing their semicustom business, finishing nextgen consoles RDNA2 chips, so they could already have working engineering samples
To release a Navi20 lineup they have to prepare multiple chips (80CU-72CU-64CU) and their in between disabled versions compared to consoles single version.
Its in AMDs best interest to make sure consoles are powered by their latest arch, that way they benefit from a generation of games tailored to their GPU architecture

Sony/MS wouldn't have chosen 2020 as a release date if they knew 7nm+ and RDNA2 wasn't going to be ready on time. 7nm DUV for all intents and purpose its not a node beneficial for big chips (APUS) they know this and that is why they are not launching earlier than 2020

That's my take on it.
Makes a ton of fucking sense, hence my potential rage and dissapointment if sony/ms announce the 7nm duv chips lmao. thats if they do it.

Quite a bit of analysis in this thread relating the new consoles to the Technology available now, or very soon. Keep in mind the new consoles come out ~1 year from now. Xbox one x gained the power advantage solely on a one year gap in technology, as state by Phil Spencer. He said they waited a year to hit 4k and would have been where the PS4 pro was if they released a year earlier. So if you think 8-9 TF is realistic based on this year’s technology, there will be advances made for next year.

SonGoku

On the topic of 7nm PS4, i think Sony will do it on 7nm EUV for bigger gains (power and density)
It would be the PS4s last node shrink and with 7nm EUV so close might as well take advantage of it if you are going for a redesign.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Agreed (if we're talking about a 4x GPU jump).

The 1080p -> 4k transition alone is going to render the jump meaningless.
Well PS4 is not a lot anymore :D

4x PS4 is a bit better than what Xbox One X is.

Ridiculous for a next-gen.
Its not a linear scale on that bench, RTX2080 (my expectation) is "only" 22k that's just slightly over 4x compared to the PS4 but we all know the RTX2080 is much better than 4x the PS4

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Well PS4 is not a lot anymore :D

4x PS4 is a bit better than what Xbox One X is.

Ridiculous for a next-gen.

That's only based on this alleged benchmark that magically has Windows running on PS5 hardware. Even if we say that's credible and don't retread on the conversation about how strange that is and how easy it is to fake benchmark driver strings, that's running software that isn't completely tailored for it, possibly in some sort of wrapper that's getting Windows draw calls translated to FreeBSD/GNMX, the raw hardware potential is higher than 4x.

If it does nothing but match the 5700 that's more like north of six times faster than the PS4 GPU.

Ovech-King

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/reddit-anaconda-dev-kit-dante-leak.1475108/post-253934045

So was there any truth behind the Dante dev kit leak? Could MS be going large and slow, and Sony small and fast?

Scarlett 385mm2 60-70CU 1.475 GHz

@ 672GB/s ? TRIGGERED !!!! Here I go again... this is exactly the bandwith of a 384 bit bus with 14Gbps chips (as seen in Scarlett reveal) but with 24GB GDDR6 though.

Still favors my theory that PS5 will be as much as 30% more powerful just some leaks said because ''apparently'' 18Gbps chips on a 384 bit bus same amount of ram would be 864 GB/s . Screw it , i'm starting a new hashtag; #30%morepowerful

vpance

@ 672GB/s ? TRIGGERED !!!! Here I go again... this is exactly the bandwith of a 384 bit bus with 14Gbps chips (as seen in Scarlett reveal) but with 24GB GDDR6 though.

Still favors my theory that PS5 will be as much as 30% more powerful just some leaks said because ''apparently'' 18Gbps chips on a 384 bit bus same amount of ram would be 864 GB/s . Screw it , i'm starting a new hashtag; #30%morepowerful

I still think PS5 will be more powerful too, but maybe only by 20% max. If MS dropped the ball and doesn't have EUV then it's very likely to be 20-30%.

SonGoku

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/reddit-anaconda-dev-kit-dante-leak.1475108/post-253934045

So was there any truth behind the Dante dev kit leak? Could MS be going large and slow, and Sony small and fast?

Scarlett 385mm2 60-70CU 1.475 GHz
Die size estimates for 7nm EUV
72CU chip 379mm2
80CU chip 394mm2

Let's play it safe and use the 72CU chip (64 enabled)
64CUs @1475Mhz = 12TF

That's RTX2080 levels and then some!
Of course this is just wild speculation on my part

Die size estimates for 7nm EUV
72CU chip 379mm2
80CU chip 394mm2

Let's play it safe and use the 72CU chip (64 enabled)
64CUs @1475Mhz = 12TF

That's RTX2080 levels and then some!
Of course this is just wild speculation on my part
There was one aspect i forgot to mention. There is a possability that sony will stick to rdna 1 because of ps4/gcn backwards compability. What do you think.

Talkin about specs isn’t my kink, both consoles will be powerful enough.
I’m probably one of the few hoping for a backward compatibility with kinect for the xbox.
This gear really differentiates a console, proposes games that can’t be put in a streaming game service, and it’s really fun with young kids (kinect party by double fine, sesame street, just dance, etc.). My XBox360 still is useful today and that’s kind of a shame for the next gen.

SonGoku

There was one aspect i forgot to mention. There is a possability that sony will stick to rdna 1 because of ps4/gcn backwards compability. What do you think.
its bs, rdna1 already has pretty significant changes compared to gcn. If we aplied that logic Sony would use vega for bc :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Whatever change rdna2 brings won't be as big as the change in cpu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom