• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thought of the day...
  • Lockhart still isn't dead
  • Lockhart configuration will be used in the cloud for 1080 streams, 4k later (on full fat hardware if demand sufficient)
  • Different sized memory that can be swapped out for Lockhart/Anaconda as per reveal video speculation
  • Gonzalo is Lockhart? - under powered next gen for 1080 output
  • Chiplet configuration still makes sense for MS - silicon lottery winners in Anaconda, losers in Lockhart/cloud
  • Chiplet config explains under performance
Anyone else noticed that all the pastebin/reddit misinformation is PS5 based? tut tut. Must try harder astroturfers.

Last edited:

SonGoku

• Lockhart configuration will be used in the cloud for 1080 streams, 4k later (on full fat hardware if demand sufficient)
  • Different sized memory that can be swapped out for Lockhart/Anaconda as per reveal video speculation
  • Chiplet configuration still makes sense for MS - silicon lottery winners in Anaconda, losers in Lockhart/cloud
Anyone else noticed that all the pastebin/reddit misinformation is PS5 based? tut tut. Must try harder astroturfers.
I like your theory but wouldn't enabling-disabling units for 1080p/4k make more sense in a large scale implementation

I like your theory but wouldn't enabling-disabling units for 1080p/4k make more sense in a large scale implementation

The low end binned chips/chiplets get stuck in server blades for cloud use.

You don't need to have those blades fully loaded for 4k output if they're only generating 1080 streams. Saving on memory alone for all the cloud instances alone would be significant.

Also means that you have a use for all those silicon lottery losers. Typical AMD business model that has been borrowed.

Last edited:

SonGoku

The low end binned chips/chiplets get stuck in server blades for cloud use.

You don't need to have those blades fully loaded for 4k output if they're only generating 1080 streams. Saving on memory alone for all the cloud instances alone would be significant.

Also means that you have a use for all those silicon lottery losers. Typical AMD business model that has been borrowed.

Ye but gonzolo isnt a big chip (navi20) with disabled units, its navi10

SonGoku

So Gonzalo is cloud (formerly lockhart) then. No one else needs it :)
Yep that makes sense, though i got a hunch gonzolo is SuborZ final form
However, this may not be the last attempt that Zhongshan Subor makes to enter the Chinese games console market according to a statement by the company's CEO, Wu Song: "While the Shanghai office has been closed, the project is still ongoing and we will have a new announcement to make regarding its progress in the next few months."
Google Translate
The project is supposed to still exist, but it is actually vegetating, because the development is not really advanced due to the downsizing and the closure of the office.

A 8TF Navi APU makes sense for 2020 and beyond, their initial 4TF Vega APU is outdated

Last edited:
Reading that 20,000 score and looking at the Fire Strike listing: the PS5 could be somewhere between a 1080 and a 1080TI? According to Eurogamer, those cards are able to do the vast majority of current PC games in 1440p at over 60fps. I believe Sony have stated the PS5 will be offering 1440p?

According to some tech sites, the nVidia 1080 TI delivers ~11TF.

So, maybe all this stuff about the PS5 delivering 11TF isn't so far fetched after all. The 1080 will be 4 years old by Q3 2020, so ... yeah.

R600

Banned
3bda385e27494c8823618ad3a9f067a7-full.jpg

Look at the code. Seems all Sony console chips start with DG1XXX, while MS are DG3/4/5XXX. You can look for yourself.

Gonzalo is not underpowered. It scores more then Vega56/Vega64 on 3DMark. Matches 2070, perhaps beats it.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

3bda385e27494c8823618ad3a9f067a7-full.jpg

Look at the code. Seems all Sony console chips start with DG1XXX, while MS are DG3/4/5XXX. You can look for yourself.

Gonzalo is not underpowered. It scores more then Vega56/Vega64 on 3DMark. Matches 2070, perhaps beats it.

Sony wouldn’t ask for those codes specifically, they’re hardware based codes.

R600

Banned
Sony wouldn’t ask for those codes specifically, they’re hardware based codes.
Console codes for all AMD based consoles and revisions -

Sony

DG1XXX,
DG11XX,
DG12XX,
DG13XX,
DG14XX,
2G16XX (2 - QS, D - retail, Gonzalo).

Microsoft
DG34XX
DG4XXX
DG57XX

Subor -

DG11SRD

So you tell me what to look for here. Is Gonzalo, 20K console scoring on 3DMark some kind of unannounced beast that is matching 2070 systems out there and chip is already in QS but no one has ever heard of it?

Is it Subor, even if company is bankrupt and has completely different naming nomenclature? Or is it MS that has other codename for their console (Arden) and again different naming nomenclature from one Gonzalo has?

Last edited:

SonGoku

So, maybe all this stuff about the PS5 delivering 11TF isn't so far fetched after all. The 1080 will be 4 years old by Q3 2020, so ... yeah.
Im confident PS5 will be 11TF+ so around 1080ti/2080 perfomance
Gonzalo is either fake or powering Suborz+
Nope. Only 4K and 8K.
I hope some games target 1440p for maximum eye candy
Or is it MS that has other codename for their console (Arden
The person who leaked that code name (hnnng) already backtracked on it.
Sony

DG1XXX,
DG11XX,
DG12XX,
DG13XX,
DG14XX,
2G6XX (2 - QS, D - retail, Gonzalo).

Microsoft
DG34XX
DG4XXX
DG57XX
Are you sure you copied these right?

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Songoku, Brad Sams leaked Arden. Even then, I am not going by what Hnng, or whatever is this guys name, says.

I saw Arden back in January posted by Komachi on his twitter.

Btw I am of the opinion that hnnng is full of shit. He hasnt done 1 thing to prove he knows anything on inside.

R600

Banned
hnnng leaked Arden conection with xbox lol, Brad referenced hnnngs leak (brads a ree remember)
Komachi only commented on the pcid

The only source linking PS5 with Ariel is komachi,

No, hnggg said Xbox SOC is Anubis. He is wrong. Know where he is also wrong?

1. Wrong codename
2. Lockart does not exit
3. Nothing happened at GDC

So pretty much wrong on EVERY account, that is why he is not verified but likely role playing insider.

Anubis was AMD codename for Scorpio, it was added to PCI ID base beginning of 2017.

See code for Anubis?

fa31238fe7bd3703d05722a8d87f6852-full.jpg

This is Scorpio SOC.

In the end, your entire argument starts on wrong side. It starts with presumption that NexGen consoles have to have at least 11-13TF. You are ignoring benchmarks that say sub 10TF NaviXT is beating Vega56, NV 2070 and Vega64, while matching Radeon 7.

This is where story ends. AMD went for wider and more game focused CUs. What they lose in pure TF, they gain (and then some) in pure performance.

Tf is hnnng?

Wanna be insider.

Last edited:

SonGoku

So pretty much wrong on EVERY account, that is why he is not verified but likely role playing insider.
I agree hnnnng is wrong, im just telling you he is the source for Arden=Xbox
XX are random numbers. For all Sonys chips, new revision was 2nd number change, 1 stayed always.

For MS, in every revision first number was changed, always.
look at your gonzolo code ;)
nvm you edited it
You are ignoring benchmarks that say sub 10TF NaviXT is beating Vega56, NV 2070 and Vega64, while matching Radeon 7.
lol NaviXT is below the 2070 on the timespy benchmark, Radeon 7 faster than 2070.
This is where story ends. AMD went for wider and more game focused CUs. What they lose in pure TF, they gain (and then some) in pure performance.
Consoles will go with a wider design for power efficiency, mark my words

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Navi XT was running at 1838MHZ in TS. 1905MHZ would certainly mean matching Radeon7.

Another thing is that comparison was made to FE 2070, which runs at higher clocks from regular 2070. For all intents and purposes, XT is match for 2070 (according to AMD, ~5% on avg vs FE).

SonGoku

Navi XT was running at 1838MHZ in TS. 1905MHZ would certainly mean matching Radeon7.
Even if that's true, that clock is way out of the confort zone for a console at 9.7TF
Consoles will go with a wider (56-64CUs) slower (1400-1600mhz) design for around 11-12TF. That should give 2080 performance and then some. I believe this is the monster leaks are referencing
Another thing is that comparison was made to FE 2070, which runs at higher clocks from regular 2070.
Nvidias cards boost comfortably above base clock anyways
btw
D-E5-wCWwAIYGGx.jpg:large

Last edited:

R600

Banned
You are dreaming mate. 225W is XT, even with less clocks and more CUs, that is far too much.

There are no real leaks. Only leak I believe, that is not technical, is DF saying devs are "pretty happy" with PS5.

Now maybe that means 12TF Navi matching 2080TI + RT and 24GB of RAM. But I think otherwise...

Last edited:

SonGoku

You are dreaming mate. 225W is XT, even with less clocks and more CUs, that is far too much.
That's assuming consoles launch on 7nm EUV so the power savings plus lower voltage required for a 1400mhz to 1600mhz clock will make 11-12TF (and even 13) posible

On 7nm DUV I expect ~10TF max with 52CUs
There are no real leaks. Only leak I believe, that is not technical, is DF saying devs are "pretty happy" with PS5.
Leaks that reference monsters, Ubisoft comments, ms comments all reference a Kaiju category V

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Reading that 20,000 score and looking at the Fire Strike listing: the PS5 could be somewhere between a 1080 and a 1080TI? According to Eurogamer, those cards are able to do the vast majority of current PC games in 1440p at over 60fps. I believe Sony have stated the PS5 will be offering 1440p?

PC has bigger overhead OS and APIs and games aren't as extensively optimized per each GPU available. The same chip can easily get 1800p in a console. 1800p + good quality CB (or temporal injection) is all you need in a console.

R600

Banned
Reuthniccookie has been right on everything so far and has a track record with pre-announcing Sony not attending E3.
His leak, "4K 60fps kind of monster" absolutely doesnt mean anything. Current gen consoles are CPU bound for more then 30fps. ~2070 in closed box with Zen2 would have no problems delivering 4K 60fps in its first year.

He also said March or November, so if March is on table chip is certainly existing and actually, should be existing for months now.

SonGoku

His leak, "4K 60fps kind of monster" absolutely doesnt mean anything. Current gen consoles are CPU bound for more then 30fps. ~2070 in closed box with Zen2 would have no problems delivering 4K 60fps in its first year.
Even the RTX 2080 struggles to keep a locked 60fps at 4k on current gen games
He also said March or November, so if March is on table chip is certainly existing and actually, should be existing for months now.
Engineering samples can exist without leaks

R600

Banned
Even the RTX 2080 struggles to keep a locked 60fps at 4k on current gen games
Well Xbox One X is 4K native ~50fps in BFV, with Jaguar CPU and Polaris @ 6TF. There is nothing out of the ordinary to expect Navi 10 and 8 core Zen2 in closed box to pump 60fps 4K games. On the other hand, that kind of comment is very slippery. There where 1080p/60fps games for PS3 and all sorts of promises, thought most turned out <720p and <30fps.

Engineering samples can exist without leaks
Agreed. And they can also leak, like they have.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
bf5 is designed to run at ~60fps on base consoles
Show me the rx580 paired with a good cpu benchmarks pulling 40k/60fps on 30fps console games
Show me 7800GTX running GTAV or Halo 4. This is such a futile effort...

"4k 60fps kind of monster" is such a vague sentence. Means absolutely 0 without know technicalities, which Mr. Cookie obviously doesnt know (he seemed to know certain marketing and general strat things, not how many CUs are in GPU).

ANIMAL1975

So, I've been hearing PS5 will have 2080 like performance , are these rumours coming from credible sources?
2080TI
i think TLZ TLZ and i we pretty reliable
we are with team16. 8

Yep that makes sense, though i got a hunch gonzolo is SuborZ final form

Google Translate

A 8TF Navi APU makes sense for 2020 and beyond, their initial 4TF Vega APU is outdated
Well, and if we take a moment to think about it, Gonzalo has much more to do with Anaconda, both latin names, than with Ariel or whatever codename Sony is using for PS5.

SonGoku

I agree its vague since frame rate is a developer design choice but it can also be interpreted to reference a GPU on par with "4k cards" like the 2080 that are powerful enough to do 4k at 60fps.
Well, and if we take a moment to think about it, Gonzalo has much more to do with Anaconda, both latin names
Very good observation, didnt think of that

Last edited:

R600

Banned
You also have to take into account PS4Pro was "4K machine", made specifically for 4K TVs as Cerny said, yet its ultimatively not here nor there. Too little BW for full 4K, probably too little TF as well.

Issue with Gonzalo = Xbox is :

1) Codename does not fit MS/AMD chips, but it does, perfectly so for Sony/AMD
2) 13e9 is internal Ariel GPU, as per PCI ID, matching Gonzalo.

Arden (rumored Xbox codename) has ID 1607 for iGPU, not 13e9.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I have watched digital foundry BF5 analysis a long time ago, but as I remember game is checkerboarded to 4K, not 4K native.

Now maybe that means 12TF Navi matching 2080TI + RT and 24GB of RAM. But I think otherwise...
So according to you RX5700 XT 9.7TF Navi 225W is far too much for a console, so it means Gonzalo score must be fake, because you would need at least 9.7TF to match Gonzalo score, and probably 11-12TF if you take into account PS5 drivers arnt optimized to run 3dmark. So basically speaking Gonzalo leak is fake and we should all expect 8.3TF GPU at max if we are lucky, and probably below >8TF because it's hard to believe they will go with 1.8GHz clock on any console. So clearly Gonzalo score is way above even the most optimistic 8.3TF estimation.

But you know what? I'm still not willing to join your >8TF team, and I still believe it's possible 10-14TF team will win at the end but right now we just dont know what Sony/MS and AMD engineers have done behind closed doors. Maybe they know how to pack 10-14TF into console using some new knowledge, while you are trying to estimate everything based on current knowledge.

Even 8800 GTX cant run GTA5, although PC version is more like a remaster, so it make sense why game is more demanding. GTA4 run MUCH BETTER on my 8800Ultra than PS3 version (1680x1050 35-40fps, high settings, and distance sliders at around 40% Vs subhd, 20-25fps, low details on PS3).

Last edited:

R600

Banned
I have watched digital foundry BF5 analysis a long time ago, but as I remember game is checkerboarded to 4K, not 4K native.
BF V has dynamic resolution on X. BF1 is full 4K, as is Battlefront 2 (4K @60fps)

So according to you RX5700 XT 9.7TF Navi 225W is far too much for a console, so it means Gonzalo score must be fake, because you would need at least 9.7TF to match Gonzalo score, and probably 11-12TF if you take into account PS5 drivers arnt optimized to run 3dmark. So basically speaking Gonzalo leak is fake and we should all expect 8.3TF GPU at max if we are lucky, and probably below >8TF because it's hard to believe they will go with 1.8GHz clock on any console. So clearly Gonzalo score is way above even the most optimistic 8.3TF estimation.

But you know what? I'm still not willing to join your >8TF team, and I still believe it's possible 10-14TF team will win at the end but right now we just dont know what Sony/MS and AMD engineers have done behind closed doors. Maybe they know how to pack 10-14TF into console using some new knowledge, while you are trying to estimate everything on your current knowledge.

Even 8800 GTX cant run GTA5, although PC version is more like a remaster, so it make sense why game is more demanding. GTA4 run MUCH BETTER on my 8800Ultra than PS3 version (subhd, 20-25fps, low details).
Navi XT beats Vega56 (6.3K), Vega64 (7.4K) and is slightly below Radeon7 (8.7K) in TimeSpy. Considering this, Gonzalo having 20K score with ~8.5TF Navi and Zen2 is expected, actually, it fits like a glow.

Mind you, Vega64 and Radeon VII are 12.6TF and 13.8TF cards.

Navi XT I think will be scoring ~22K with Zen2 on Firestrike, duo to its compute advantage over 2070 in Firestrike.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

SonGoku SonGoku
And remember Arturus, the "new architecture" theory that some were spreading before we knew Scarlett is Zen2 and Navi?... Again Xbox related.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
BF V has dynamic resolution on X. BF1 is full 4K, as is Battlefront 2 (4K @60fps)

Navi XT beats Vega56 (6.3K), Vega64 (7.4K) and is slightly below Radeon7 (8.7K) in TimeSpy. Considering this, Gonzalo having 20K score with ~8.5TF Navi and Zen2 is expected, actually, it fits like a glow.

Mind you, Vega64 and Radeon VII are 12.6TF and 13.8TF cards.

Navi XT I think will be scoring ~22K with Zen2 on Firestrike, duo to its compute advantage over 2070 in Firestrike.
So it's dynamic 1600p-4K then, not 4K native as you have wrote before.

8TF Navi + 25% IPC gain equals to 10TF Vega, not 12.5TF (like in Vega64).

And BTW. I have asked you 2 times already, who told you Radeon RX5700 XT will be a 225W beast, there are TDP tests already?

R600

Banned
So it's dynamic 1600p-4K then, not 4K native as you have wrote before.

8TF Navi + 25% IPC gain equals to 10TF Vega, not 12.5TF (like in Vega64).

And BTW. I have asked you 2 times already, who told you Radeon RX5700 XT will be a 225W beast, there are TDP tests already?
I mistook it for Battlefront and BF1, but still, these are all 60fps ~4K titles on 8 core mobile CPUs and Polaris.

You are using wrong IPC improvement. Per TF, Navi is 1.41x faster. Navi XT is faster then Vega64 by 17% in TimeSpy, which means 9.7TF GPU matches 13.6TF from Vega (and therefore only slightly lower then Radeon 7).

8.5TF Navi would be ~12TF Vega. Is this bad? I am not sure what you expected last year, perhaps 15TF Vegas?

As per TDP, I am going by what AMD officially announced.

TDP on the 5700XT is 225W, compared with 295W on Vega 64. Power delivery is via one 8-pin and one six-pin connector.

If this was much better, better believe they would shout about it as advantage over 2070.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I mistook it for Battlefront and BF1, but still, these are all 60fps ~4K titles on 8 core mobile CPUs and Polaris.

You are using wrong IPC improvement. Per TF, Navi is 1.41x faster. Navi XT is faster then Vega64 by 17% in TimeSpy, which means 9.7TF GPU matches 13.6TF from Vega (and therefore only slightly lower then Radeon 7).

8.5TF Navi would be ~12TF Vega. Is this bad? I am not sure what you expected last year, perhaps 15TF Vegas?

As per TDP, I am going by what AMD officially announced.

If this was much better, better believe they would shout about it as advantage over 2070.

So you have mistook it for battlefield 1, but the thing is Battlefield 1 is not 4K native game either😂😂👌. Below quote from VGtech analysis
Screenshot-20190628-131211-You-Tube-2.jpg

So it's not only dynamic 4K but also checkerboarded on top of that. Sure xbox x can run some games in 4K and 60fps (games like forza 7, or halo remasters), but not demanding fps games like battlefield.

8.5TF Navi would be ~12TF Vega.
According to your calculations 36CU at 1.8GHz equals 8.3TF, today you suggest PS5 will be 8.5TF, so maybe tommorow you will start talking about 9TF 😂👍.

According to Navi 5700 XT 3dmark benchmark chart, 9.7TF Navi is exactly at Gonzalo level (a little bit above Vega64). So we know already for a fact 9.7TF Navi GPU is needed in order to beat 12.5 Vega64, so therefore you cant expext 8TF to do the same job and especially if you take into account PS5 was running unoptimized drivers 😃.

So you have no proof RX5700 XT is 225W beast, it's just your expectation.

Last edited:
So you have no proof RX5700 XT is 225W beast, and it's just your expectation.

He posted the article which has this quote:

"The Radeon 5700XT is a 40 CU design, with 2,560 stream processors, 9.75TFLOPs of floating-point performance, and substantially higher clocks than anything we’ve seen before. The new RDNA architecture from AMD, which finally replaces GCN, is substantially more efficient than its predecessor, with a 1.25x projected uplift in performance-per-clock. TDP on the 5700XT is 225W, compared with 295W on Vega 64. Power delivery is via one 8-pin and one six-pin connector. "

My suggestion would be to read the article.

He also suggested Battlefield 1 is ~4k which means, "around 4k" which he is also not wrong.

Don't be foolish.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
He posted the article which has this quote:

"The Radeon 5700XT is a 40 CU design, with 2,560 stream processors, 9.75TFLOPs of floating-point performance, and substantially higher clocks than anything we’ve seen before. The new RDNA architecture from AMD, which finally replaces GCN, is substantially more efficient than its predecessor, with a 1.25x projected uplift in performance-per-clock. TDP on the 5700XT is 225W, compared with 295W on Vega 64. Power delivery is via one 8-pin and one six-pin connector. "

My suggestion would be to read the article.

He also suggested Battlefield 1 is ~4k which means, "around 4k" which he is also not wrong.

Don't be foolish.
I cant see any TDP tests here, and that's what I want to see and especially when Igor calculations suggest much lower TDP.

Well Xbox One X is 4K native ~50fps in BFV

That's what he wrote initially and later on he started talking about BF1 and battlefront. To me 4K native means 4K native, not checkerboard or dynamic 4K.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
My entire point, if you care to read my posts, is that "Its 4k 60fpd kind od beast" tells us 0. Nothing. Zlich. Nada.

Xbox One X, as you said, has some very impressive looking titles running at 4k 60fps (Battlefront 2/Forza Horizon) and relatively close to 4k at 60fps (BF series, I guess this is duo to physics being much more stressing then in the other 2 full 4k games).

Second, I am comparing Navi XT results @ 9.6TF in TimeSype (because it didnt run at full boost), not directly with Firestrike (Gonzalo benchmark), which is completely different benchmark.

Navi XT is, according to AMD, faster then FE version of 2070 anywhere from 2% to 20%. I guess this result will be closer to ~5-6%, but it also means Navi XT is COMFORTABLY faster then Vega64 with 3TF less, which means whatever we find in PS5 and Scarlet (and it wont be more then 9TF Navi, will be faster as well).

In any case, this is all in vein. You people are getting hung up on TF number like idiots and wont let it go. Navi is CLEARLY different arch direction that AMD too. Much more similar to Nvidia, less compute, wider CUs, more cache and therefore much more perf/TF.

This is why MS and Sony are not shouting about TF, because it would be missleading in this case. It would be missleading because people, right on this forum, would probably breatj sign of relief if Sony/MS came up and said "Huh guys, its actually 11TF Vega, not 9TF Navi".

And no, I am still standing by my ~8.5TF, this is rounded for both consoles, and would make them faster then 1080 in games.

I cant see any TDP tests here, and that's what I want to see and especially when Igor calculations suggest much lower TDP.

That's what he wrote initially and later on he started talking about BF1 and battlefront. To me 4K native means 4K native, not checkerboard or dynamic 4K.
And Cerny had his mouth full of 4K when PS4Pro was announced and we are happy when its half of that. Therefore, this entire debate about "4k 60fps beast" coming from Mr. Cookie guy can go into garbage bin, because console makers promised alot of things alot of times, does not mean much. Thinking what he said HAS to mean 13TF Navi is idiotic.

Last edited:

R600

Banned

I think this is Firestrike. If this is 5700(non XT) then WOW. If XT, then exactly as expected. XT ~ Radeon 7 > 2070.

R600

Banned
What's funny that's exaxtly what you are doing😂👌. You are the one who repeat the same key points and TF numbers on daily basis, and yet you call us idiots.
Nope, I am getting hung up on performance.

You people are parroting "If its less then 12TF it sucks" its me telling you you are comparing apples to oranges.

pawel86ck

Banned
Nope, I am getting hung up on performance.

You people are parroting "If its less then 12TF it sucks" its me telling you you are comparing apples to oranges.
Regardless of TF numbers, you shouldnt call people stupid just because they dont share your opinions. I dont agree with your opinions but I wasnt posting rude comments towards you even when you wrote wrong informations in regards to 4K native in battlefield 5/1.

Xbox One X, as you said, has some very impressive looking titles running at 4k 60fps (Battlefront 2/Forza Horizon)
battlefront 2 is not 4K native on xbox x, and forza horizon 4 is either 4K 30fps, or 1080p 60fps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom