• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Warren statement about Microsoft surprising is laughable. Microsoft show all they all have to Sony . Sony knows what to beat 1 year in advance .. nice Christmas gift to Sony IMO LOL

Console tech doesn't work like that; whatever TF goal Sony has in place, they're going to very much stick with because it's no simple matter to suddenly up the TF performance in response.

We still don't have much in the way of RAM amount or bandwidth, or the SSD controller for that matter. Surprises likely still very much await. But overall when you weigh the two systems out I don't expect either to have a commanding lead over the other tech-wise.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Console tech doesn't work like that; whatever TF goal Sony has in place, they're going to very much stick with because it's no simple matter to suddenly up the TF performance in response.

We still don't have much in the way of RAM amount or bandwidth, or the SSD controller for that matter. Surprises likely still very much await. But overall when you weigh the two systems out I don't expect either to have a commanding lead over the other tech-wise.
Nope neither screwed up or cheaped out in the least. We should all be fucking ecstatic this is the floor for next generation. Compare to the complete disappointment last time around. These will be legitimate beasts for once and easy to develop for. This is best case scenario I could think of. Zen2, SSD 12tf rdna 2.0 gpu as the floor.

Audiophile

Godfall for PS5, also in-engine footage

Worth noting it's a native 4K, 60fps, third party title..

And this gameplay gif is far more flattering than that trailer:

ezgif.com-resize.gif

Saying that, I don't think it was wise to have the "PLAYSTATION 5" show up in the trailer at this point.

EDIT: This is almost certainly our first glimpse of RT reflections in a next-gen console, you can see the tree remains in reflections even when it's out of screen-space,

Last edited:

DJ12

Ok so with the wording of the reveal and Tom warrens quick maths (he obviously has no clue of the actual number) I think 12tf is not happening on this side of the equation at least.

Saying twice as powerful as one X is so ambiguous that the actual number is nothing to shout about. Obviously this is where windows Central got the 12 tf from also. So as we were I assume. Xbox somewhere between 10 and 12 and ps5 between 10.1 and 12+ TFs.

Hell blade looked good though so it's hardly that big of a deal.

Tom Warren statement about Microsoft surprising is laughable. Microsoft show all they all have to Sony . Sony knows what to beat 1 year in advance .. nice Christmas gift to Sony IMO LOL
When he said that I was expecting some secret sauce level shit. Not that they were planing to unveil it at TGA...

nowhat

When he said that I was expecting some secret sauce level shit. Not that they were planing to unveil it at TGA...
TBH, what we really, truly, know thus far is a) the form factor, and b) some vague comments about power compared to current Xboxes (Xboxen?). There is still room for lots of surprises both ways. We don't know for example the exact CPU/GPU specs, how much/what kind of memory there is, how much/what kind (specifically) the storage is, and I think most crucially, the price.

Last edited:
TBH, what we really, truly, know thus far is a) the form factor, and b) some vague comments about power compared to current Xboxes (Xboxen?). There is still room for lots of surprises both ways. We don't know for example the exact CPU/GPU specs, how much/what kind of memory there is, how much/what kind (specifically) the storage is, and I think most crucially, the price.
On his twitter he said this was the surprise he was talking about :/

Aceofspades

Banned

The whole story of MS not shipping kits to "surprise" Sony is some fanboy drivel . Tom Warren is Xbox fanboy simple as that, just look how he twist the words said in the reveal just to paint Xbox as "most powerful" despite MS not daring to say such thing.

MS: Serix X is twice X GPU.
TW: Xbox is 12TF RDNA baby!

MS: Series X is the most powerful "Xbox" we created.
TW: Series X is the most powerful "console" ever

Twice the power of X GPU is ~10TF RDNA.

PS5 reveal is soon , I would like to see thos MS shills meltdowns , I cannot wait 😂

nowhat

On his twitter he said this was the surprise he was talking about :/
I should have done a multi-quote... my point was more related to the comment you replied to

(emphasis mine) They really haven't shown anything, so Sony still doesn't know what to beat. I'm sure they very much have their own plans already laid out though.

If you guys still expect weak sauce next-gen consoles, you're silly. There, I said it!

We're getting 12TF Navi as a bare minimum (judging by Anaconda's form factor and MS statements regarding the GPU). And let's not forget PS5 dev kits having tons of vents... you're in for a treat!

Last edited:

FranXico

The whole story of MS not shipping kits to "surprise" Sony is some fanboy drivel . Tom Warren is Xbox fanboy simple as that, just look how he twist the words said in the reveal just to paint Xbox as "most powerful" despite MS not daring to say such thing.

PS5 reveal is soon , I would like to see thos MS shills meltdowns , I cannot wait 😂
We don't know anything yet. Either console can have the edge. We can realistically expect both on the same ballpark, which will be great if so. Nobody gets shafted, everyone gets great first party games.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Per Klee, both are over 10TF Navi (although he did imply TFs will not tell the whole story at first) and PS5 has slight edge (single digit).

If Anconda is confirmed 12TF, PS5 HAS to be ~13TF. Yet, he does not want to confirm that.

In any case, I am still doubting 2x and "over" 8x in pure TF, so we shall see.

R600

Banned

Yea yea...but, somehow Tom was right (4TF and 12TF back in November), first to report Lockhart and first to report its "resurrection".

I dont see other known insiders breaking stories about next gen.

-kb-

Hellblade II for Xbox Series X (Phil Spencer said it's all in engine):

Looks amazing. Now I believe in 12tf.

Im not knocking the 12TF (I personally think it is 12TF). But how does a game that's being rendered on a computer make you believe its 12TF?, the engine looks amazing but can't UE4 also do amazing things on a beefy PC?.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Let's see if lowballers get permabanned. I reckon some of them took bets?

Even the 2x claim should be kind of met with a “half asses upgrade” moniker as apparently it was when PS4 Pro had been announced being a bit over 2x the speed of PS4 GPU wise 😏.

Still, seriously though, it will be interesting to know if he was referring to effective performance or theoretical FLOPS when he said that as one interpretation would say 10-11 TFLOPS and the other one 12 TFLOPS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom