• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. PS5's storage management is so retarded. You loose 40GB space to system for no reason and yet it still shows this as available to user.

20Qd2aG.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im i the only who hates ps5 ui? I get it is fast but cmon the thing us soo split —- message/party should be where the game line is
i really dislike the message and party system. it should always be one click away. i like that you can interact with the popup but if i want to ignore the message, let me get to it quick.

Did you guys see how the Xbox Series X is actually performing worse than a 2060 Super in watch dogs? Alex found the xbox series x, series s and PS5 settings in the PC version of watch dogs and plugged them in his PC version and the PC version running on a 2060 Super actually looks better.

The dynamic resolution is really harsh too. It basically runs at 1440p outdoors when you are in the open world, and roughly native 4k indoors.

PS5 settings are nearly identical to the xsx settings so unless it runs above 1440p outdoors, we are looking at two very badly performing ray tracing games.

For reference, the 2060 super is basically a 7 tflops gpu at peak clocks. AMD fucked up.

Serious question, because I don’t know how old you are, but is this your first console launch?

LiquidRex

Let's say a developer decided to use the Tempest Engine for compute instead of 3D audio, how much of a performance increase in real-time would we see. 🤷‍♂️

Also do we know how much RAM the UI takes and whats left for Devs to play with. 🤔

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Just got done my first day of play with the ps5... and it was great! Smooth sailing, absolutely no issues whatsoever as I took preemptive measures when I got it (avoiding using external hardrive, did not put it in rest mode, let it air out and get used to room temp for a little bit before powering on), not gonna go crazy with all that tilll more stability updates rollout. ..

From there, I downloaded Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, and then some PS4 exclusives just see how they are now. I regret to report that TLOU2 has zero enhancements so far. Whoever wrote the article saying that the game supports adaptive triggers is a liar..

Speaking of adaptive triggers, the dualsense is truly the most magical controller I've ever held. It feels great and sturdy in the hand, unlike past PlayStation controllers. The haptics are really satisfying and the adaptive triggers are really cool and I can't wait to see what else can be down with them.
Astros Playroom in particular I played an hour of that and that game really just seems like a love letter to hardcore playstation fans. It's a really sweet game, fun, and I will eventually platinum that.

The PlayStation 5 UI I really enjoy the way it looks. It looks, and feels fresh. Though it's not really complete. Missing a lot of basic features like folders and it needs more shortcuts I think. But when it comes to just generally maneuvering around the UI, especially with the activity cards, it's great. The activity cards I have found to be really useful in Spider-Man Miles Morales. Like it just click on the card and it takes me straight to a challenge in the matter or 1-3 seconds and I complete the challenge and earn the trophy. Ultimately, the UI is really well integrated with first-party games and allows for easy access to certain parts of games. I think it's quite useful and great.

The console itself is quite huge and it was a bit of a hassle putting together the stand and finding a place for it on my desk, but I figured it out.. and the console honestly looks beaitful.

Now sadly the biggest letdown for me is the 3D audio. I don't even know why I got on the hype train for that as this past summer I tried out the Sony PlayStation platinum which had 3D audio features for games on the PS4 and that didn't even sound good. As for 3D audio on the ps5, it honestly sucks just like that and I'd even call it trash. In what world is muffling sound effects considered "better, immersive, high quality" audio. It's absolutely fucking dogshit. I tried each levels all 5 and no matter the levels, the audio still sounded muffled as fuck in my hyper x cloud alphas. I disabled 3D audio as someone suggested for me to do and wow everything became all clear and not muffled as I expected it. Idk, maybe it's a bug or something, but as of right now, 3D audio is dogshit. Like on Miles Morales everything like shooting webs sounds so compressed and muffled it's bullshit.

Anyway, most important part is the games. I am currently alternating through Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, and Astros playroom. They all feel, look, and just generally are great games so far. Really excited to continue Miles Morales as you can tell they put a lot of heart into the story. I also can't wait to continue Demon's Souls as I just beat the first boss which makes me feel great. And then Astros playroom is just fantastic it's like an amusement park. I am thinking about getting sack boy maybe but I will probably wait for a sale. I am swimming in games to play basically this is great!

All in all, my day one experience with the ps5 was quite great. From the dualsense, to the sleekness of the UI, freshness of the games, it's just a fantastic start for me. No jet engine, no issues yet. It seems taking those preemptive measures paid off for now. Hopefully, Sony does roll out some stability updates though because i'd like to use external memory eventually and not have to worry about putting my system in rest mode.. As I said before I am mostly just disappointed about the 3D audio because it's crap, stereo all day, disable 3D audio trust me. Can't wait to continue gaming on this system, it's great!

THEAP99

Banned
Let's say a developer decided to use the Tempest Engine for compute instead of 3D audio, how much of a performance increase in real-time would we see. 🤷‍♂️
i hope they start doing that because 3D audio sounds like absolute dogshit. Could not be more disappointed in that in this console

LiquidRex

i hope they start doing that because 3D audio sounds like absolute dogshit. Could not be more disappointed in that in this console
I do hope that will change, say for MGS Remaster or game like Ratchet and Clank... On paper 3D Audio sounds awesome, but in practice devs will have to put just as much effort in it as they do with adding RT as a feature in games.
Like blue point said, the reason RT wasn't in Demons Soul's was due to time constraints.

THEAP99

Banned
Lol just stop.
Maybe you should tell Cerny
I do hope that will change, say for MGS Remaster or game like Ratchet and Clank... On paper 3D Audio sounds awesome, but in practice devs will have to put just as much effort in it as they do with adding RT as a feature in games.
Like blue point said, the reason RT wasn't in Demons Soul's was due to time constraints.

i don't know what to tell you guys. 3D audio sounded muffled as fuck. I turned it off, and everything was clear again. DO i need to send him a photo of my ear or something or what? right now, it sounds bad.

Yoboman

i don't know what to tell you guys. 3D audio sounded muffled as fuck. I turned it off, and everything was clear again. DO i need to send him a photo of my ear or something or what? right now, it sounds bad.
Are you using headphones?

A dedicated audio processor isn't just for 3D audio, it simply takes the task off other parts of the system. And will allow teams to allocate more resources to audio without cost to other parts of the game

THEAP99

Banned
Are you using headphones?

A dedicated audio processor isn't just for 3D audio, it simply takes the task off other parts of the system. And will allow teams to allocate more resources to audio without cost to other parts of the game
yes i am using headphones hyper x alpah

Is there a way to compare audio between platforms?
I mean, a lot of games are using the Tempest Engine so it would be interesting to see how it compares to the Xbox versions that use Dolby Atmos, even if it seems there is less support for it in comparison to the TE in PS5.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Well it might become Sony's problem when Microsoft is using it's wallet to close the gap. That's my biggest worry now PS5 has proven to be more than up to the task of giving the series X serious competition.
Microsoft have a budget which they spend by, the Xbox department doesn’t have unlimited access to Microsoft’s magic money tree whenever they want. I remember even one of the Microsoft/Xbox execs made a similar comment with regards to more potential acquisitions after they brought Bethesda.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stooky

Did you adjust the settings in the 3D audio menu? It cleared everything up for me.

vkbest

Also do we know how much RAM the UI takes and whats left for Devs to play with. 🤔

It’s only a CU and probably less frequency. Besides, I think Cerny said, Audio 3D is not using all capacity from tempest, so you could programming more task. So I’m not sure yet developer can use all tempest for other tasks instead 3d audio

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Antiax From Era

Xbox apologised to Arek and confirmed that they will send him new console on Monday. This guy got so much hate (including death threats) underservedly, even here on ResetERA. Embarassing and disappointing.

Snippets:
-he doesn’t even smoke lol
-heard boiling water like sound from the Xbox, went to make breakfast and when he came back there was smoke
-disappointed how everyone called him liar or some prankster
-he is just a normal guy, he doesn’t know how to handle insane hate from the internet
-Xbox contacted him (asked if he called fire departament lmao) but went silent after that vape counter video

Death threats? That's extreme!

The intervierw:

Turn on CC and use auto English translation to understand some:

Hope he sues them for their cheap attitude.

Last edited:
Antiax From Era

Xbox apologised to Arek and confirmed that they will send him new console on Monday. This guy got so much hate (including death threats) underservedly, even here on ResetERA. Embarassing and disappointing.

Snippets:
-he doesn’t even smoke lol
-heard boiling water like sound from the Xbox, went to make breakfast and when he came back there was smoke
-disappointed how everyone called him liar or some prankster
-he is just a normal guy, he doesn’t know how to handle insane hate from the internet
-Xbox contacted him (asked if he called fire departament lmao) but went silent after that vape counter video

Death threats? That's extreme!

The intervierw:

Turn on CC and use auto English translation to understand some:

Hope he sues them for their cheap attitude.

This doesn’t proof anything. Of course they would replace the console. What else? Call him a liar? No way. They also only apologize because it took so long. Obviously it’s not so easy to get a replacement unit, but they were able to get one.
And cheap attitude? They said from the beginning that they would replace the console. But it just takes a little time, which is understandable.

Last edited:
Was this posted?
"Right now we have nothing further to share on additional PS5 plans, but can shed some more light on the why. Our team’s main focus this year was our recent free-to-play transition, and updating major features like our Tournaments system. Due to this we had to make tough decisions on what else we could achieve. Enabling 120hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn’t possible due to our focus elsewhere"

So it seems some games will need a new version rather than just a simple patch which explains a lot about missing performance modes in games like SW Squadrons, Rocket League, etc. Probably will end up being released some time afterwards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom