• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Did you guys see how the Xbox Series X is actually performing worse than a 2060 Super in watch dogs? Alex found the xbox series x, series s and PS5 settings in the PC version of watch dogs and plugged them in his PC version and the PC version running on a 2060 Super actually looks better.

The dynamic resolution is really harsh too. It basically runs at 1440p outdoors when you are in the open world, and roughly native 4k indoors.

PS5 settings are nearly identical to the xsx settings so unless it runs above 1440p outdoors, we are looking at two very badly performing ray tracing games.

For reference, the 2060 super is basically a 7 tflops gpu at peak clocks. AMD fucked up.

icerock

Yes, they totally are committing financial crimes.. because console wars.

That poster has a valid point. Without numbers it's difficult to gauge how well it is selling compared to its predecessor. Keep in mind, Xbox One launched in just 13 countries back in 2013, a good chunk of European and some less important countries got the console a whopping 10 months later in September 2014. Despite this, in launch year i.e. 2013. Xbox One sold 3m units compared to 4.2m units for PS4.

Mattrick is de-facto fall guy for Xbox One, but even with the disastrous reveal and subsequent messaging. The sales early on weren't bleak, he had locked in some big exclusives from 3rd party while PS4 was pretty barren. Xbox One, for first year and a half had more/better games compared to PS4. The gap started to grow wider once slew of those 3rd party exclusives ran dry and the 1st party exclusives failed to have any meaningful impact. Guess the name of the guy who was the head of Xbox Game Studios at the time?

Gaming has been stronger than ever during pandemic, whatever units Microsoft have built will sell out no question. But, without any metrics, it's pretty meaningless to read those statements. Just my ¢2.

cMonry

Neo Member
Yeah it's been debunked a few times buddy. Didn't mean to personally attack you. There's a chance that this could be real, as launch consoles are a gamble, but I'd remain cautious, since the big smoking video from a few days ago was already debunked. Happy gaming!

No, it wasn't debunked, it was confirmed. The console will be replaced, and the smoking one goes to the site for expertise on Monday.

Imtjnotu

Did you guys see how the Xbox Series X is actually performing worse than a 2060 Super in watch dogs? Alex found the xbox series x, series s and PS5 settings in the PC version of watch dogs and plugged them in his PC version and the PC version running on a 2060 Super actually looks better.

The dynamic resolution is really harsh too. It basically runs at 1440p outdoors when you are in the open world, and roughly native 4k indoors.

PS5 settings are nearly identical to the xsx settings so unless it runs above 1440p outdoors, we are looking at two very badly performing ray tracing games.

For reference, the 2060 super is basically a 7 tflops gpu at peak clocks. AMD fucked up.
AMD fucked up?

lol ubisoft fucked up.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Not every game is going to be set in London and have the screen filled with reflections everywhere you look.

Nvidia having more robust HW support for RT was known and accepted by all but the more foolish Xbox fanboy.

Again I must stress, although a minority of people believe games should be tech demos, they aren’t. Artists will get better and better at when and how to use RT, and programmers will continue to optimize.

Three years from now PS5/XSX will be running games that will run very very poorly on a 2060s.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
One thing I’m not liking about the PS5 is the game bar. I have around 13 or so games installed and will be installing more but the game bar is capped at 11 icons.

The most recently played game jumps to the front so other games get hidden under the library > Installed tab.

sircaw

Banned
One thing I’m not liking about the PS5 is the game bar. I have around 13 or so games installed and will be installing more but the game bar is capped at 11 icons.

The most recently played game jumps to the front so other games get hidden under the library > Installed tab.

out of curiosity, how much space do you have left after 13 installs, and what type of games are we talking about?>

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
nah, AMD put the ray tracing hardware in the Texture Mapping Units instead of allocating a separate die space like nvidia did. So now its an either or situation. you can have good rasterization or good ray tracing. you cant have both like the 20 series Nvidia cards.
Yeah, however in this case it has massive advantage for the die size, because Turing and Ampere size wise is monster (size and transistor count).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

fQrhzwa.jpg

ethomaz

Banned

He tested PS5? I thought it was only Xbox.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
out of curiosity, how much space do you have left after 13 installs, and what type of games are we talking about?>

Actually it was 10 games. The store and library take up a permanent spot on the bar and I just deleted The Tomorrow Children as for some reason it was available to download but didn’t boot up since the servers were shut down years ago. Think I’m still around half full will need to check later, I do have a few small/party games installed too.

Astros Playroom
Days Gone
Bugsnax
Binding of Isaac
Rainbow 6 Siege
Jackbox Party 3
Drawful 2
Mortal Kombat XL
Knowledge is Power
Fall Guys

On Demand

Banned
Actually the SSD is already a big difference. Basically, the promise of the PS5's SSD and I/O configuration is not simply how your Mortal Kombat match loads so quickly. When you have storage that fast it means you can have more and higher quality assets sitting in RAM for the GPU to draw without worrying about needing to have "cold" assets sitting in RAM. In the Digital Foundry interview with Bluepoint, the developers mentioned the ability to stream in blocks of data as soon as the player rounds the corner. They also offhanded mentioned 4 gigs per second of compressed data. There are probably some areas where that number is even higher. Again, in doing so, the details of any given scene can be cranked up. Sony is hitting two birds with one stone here. First off, alleviating RAM constraints by being able to stream in data so quickly. Second, have games look better by letting the GPU draw more assets in higher fidelity. Don't let a launch game from a third-party cross-gen title to give you an idea of what PS5 is capable of.

Exactly.

People really need to stop thinking that SSD’s are only good for loading. That’s just one of many benefits having it as baseline brings. It changes the entire development process and what developers are able to do when creating game worlds. It’s no small change!

I encourage everybody to watch this GDC presentation from a developer at Insomniac. He explains in detail how limiting it was creating Spider-Man using the PS4 HDD.

Timestamp

kyliethicc

Actually it was 10 games. The store and library take up a permanent spot on the bar and I just deleted The Tomorrow Children as for some reason it was available to download but didn’t boot up since the servers were shut down years ago. Think I’m still around half full will need to check later, I do have a few small/party games installed too.

Astros Playroom
Days Gone
Bugsnax
Binding of Isaac
Rainbow 6 Siege
Jackbox Party 3
Drawful 2
Mortal Kombat XL
Knowledge is Power
Fall Guys
how is R6 siege on PS5 ? they said it can run at 4K120. any idea of the PS5 update is ready yet for that game?

nah, AMD put the ray tracing hardware in the Texture Mapping Units instead of allocating a separate die space like nvidia did. So now its an either or situation. you can have good rasterization or good ray tracing. you cant have both like the 20 series Nvidia cards.

Exactly this. In pure rasterisation, Series X is on par with a 2080.

In an ideal World they’ll offer Dynamic 4K - 1440p/30fps/RT or Dynamic 4K - 1440p/60fps modes on console.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned

Wasn't Gears5 on XSX performing better than the 2060 Super using the PC assets, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom