• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Or maybe RT in PS5 is custom, unlike in Xbox, who knows. I am just laughing because chip clocked at 2.0GHZ with 36CUs and 16GB of RAM that points to PS5 exists.

Xbox probably would have at one point too. They don’t start with their final spec you know.

Or maybe RT in PS5 is custom, unlike in Xbox, who knows. I am just laughing because chip clocked at 2.0GHZ with 36CUs and 16GB of RAM that points to PS5 exists.
Of course that's possible. AMD have excellent options for chiplet-based designs. An infinity fabric connected RTRT chip is entirely possible.
Not sure it's a particular elegant solution - particularly given Cerny's proclavity towards simpler, developer friendly solutions that don't require extra work.
Unless of course the driver obscures the disparate chiplets so they're function as a single chip to a developer. But then evidence of RTRT and/or VRS should exist in the driver in some fashion.
But, anything is possible.

R600

Banned
THEN it would not be called Navi 10. A "Navi 10" chip with customisation would not be called Navi 10. Simple..
Nah, AMD names chip 10 for a chip that comes out first. Sony's Navi is GFX1000, so first Navi chip. This alligns well with sources saying 2/3rds of AMD GPU engineers worked on Sony Navi chip.

"Currently working on" comments from AMD ASIC engineer in drivers...itd pointing to 36CUs clocked at 2.0GHz. perhaps it was suppose to be 8.3 (1.8GHZ) and they upped it, but I doubt whole new chip.

While I'm still thinking others and me are right about leaked chip is not final for PS5, I'm curious what kind of reaction from Sony leakers it might trigger. Or even something official from them...

sinnergy

It’s not for nothing MS was so confident that the showed the box, it’s all build and designed around power. That was the surprise... they got everyone by surprise and downplayed the power to all even devs that they would target a 10 TF machine more wasn’t needed for this stunt.

Last edited:
It’s not for nothing MS was so confident that the showed the box, it’s all build and designed around power. That was the surprise... they got everyone by surprise and downplayed the power to all even devs that they would target a 10 TF machine more wasn’t needed for this stunt.
They def played a game there, imo, for better or worse

sinnergy

And there's the proof.. Oberon in it's current state doesn't support raytracing at all. Like Navi 10 doesn't support it at all. But since we know as a hard fact from cerny himself that PS5 will have indeed hardware raytracing we can very easily rule out that what was leaked this night is representative for Release PS5 Modell
Not really could be a solution outside of the apu.

TLZ

Banned
giphy.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm trying to read up on the information, but just seems like there's just a lot of stuff we don't know.

bitbydeath

They data mined & found 2 different GPU's Ariel & Oberon 2 of the moons of Uranus , to moon someone is to show them your ass there for if you reach into Uranus & pull the numbers from the 2 moons you will have 72 CUs

72TF is possible if they added both GPU’s in at once as a counter until RDNA2 arrived and would explain the massive Devkit size but I don’t expect the final to be that large.

Cerny confirmed Ray tracing properties on ps5 hardware, só It doesnt look like a mere software simulation at ALL, and It needs a good hw, powerfull enough to support It.

My take is that everything surrounding ps5 is confusing to make It mysterious, Very hard to guess. Theres a reason why we still have no fucking idea about the memory ram

onQ123

Cerny confirmed Ray tracing properties on ps5 hardware, só It doesnt look like a mere software simulation at ALL, and It needs a good hw, powerfull enough to support It.

My take is that everything surrounding ps5 is confusing to make It mysterious, Very hard to guess. Theres a reason why we still have no fucking idea about the memory ram
A week ago you was acting as if you had inside info now it's all mysterious? how near in the future did you come from? 10 minutes?

If PPS5was more powerful than 12tflops, I think they would have leaked it to take away from the positive press MS have gotten. MS seem to be pushing the power of their console more than Sony are. I think that means they are pretty confident the PS5 isn't more powerful.
Both Sony and MS would be well aware of each others specs.

xPikYx

What comm
at whatever cost! lol.. i want that power because i want to see Sony first party studios to go wild with it..

sony can subsidize a lot more this time though.. PSN is going strong and raking in a lot of profits.. but if they release a 9 TF console, I'd still buy it and be excited.. full reveal can't come soon enough..

sony's silence yet confidence is telling.. even that comment by gearbox ceo not being impressed with XSX's specs.. he knows the PS5 specs.. full reveal can't come soon enough..
What comment?

Ar¢tos

Wouldn't it be perfectly normal for a ps5 test chip to have features missing in windows drivers since they aren't meant to be used by windows at all?
RT/VRS/etc driver support would only be present in ps5 OS.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Here my question marks regarding all of the information we (or at least I) have heard so far.

- Mark Cerny said there is Hardware RT but there's none found in Oberon & Ariel.
- Phil Spencer said the Xbox Series X is 8 times the GPU power of the Xbox One and 2 times the GPU power of the Xbox One X. People have said it will be 12TF RDNA, but that would bring us to around 9TF in comparison of performance as shown in the Digital Foundry video.
- PlayStation 5 was originally going to launch this year, but it was delayed.
- Jason Schreier said he heard whispers that both consoles would be similar in power. But "whispers" to me doesn't seem like much.

If PPS5was more powerful than 12tflops, I think they would have leaked it to take away from the positive press MS have gotten. MS seem to be pushing the power of their console more than Sony are. I think that means they are pretty confident the PS5 isn't more powerful.
Both Sony and MS would be well aware of each others specs.
How would they be aware of each others specs? What are you talking about? Acting like confidential information is just casually tossed around between fucking competitors.

Christ.

Oh, you're follower of MrX's puppet. Good to know.

So, Phil Spencer said during last E3 that Project Scarlet will have hardware RT, do you believe in what he said?
Do you think rogame is making it up? Thats why the quote. Are you having a bad day buddy? Rogame tweets are all over the thread, go back and do some reading up

Thats what i'm saying, MS need to beat Sony on the TF count, even if they loose money.
Oh so ps5 lite is 5/6 lol. Ive known for awhile Sony aint beating MS. I can show you the posts on this very forum lol. So i think you might be the one here having the issue of Xbox winning in power 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't think you read every post on this thread, you can check my messages history posted in this thread, you gonna find that i was called a fan boy for saying that MS need to release a more powerful console (because they have to).
here is an example above that i posted prior to our argument, you clearly missed it.
A teraflop is a teraflop. When there were efficency increases from GCN 1.0 and 2.0, were people talking about if it's GCN 1.0 or 2.0 tflops? No, because there isn't a distinction. Flops are calculated by amount of cores etc in the GPU.
And how exactly would they reach an efficency percentage to put into a "GCN" flop vs a "RDNA" flops?
Test 50 games, get the average FPS increase? Maybe it would take 100 games? But what about DX12 games vs Open GL? What about the ability of different developers?
Or maybe they benchmark test a GCN card with the same clock and bandwidth etc to see what the increase is? But what program should they use as the default to get the official efficency ratio? Maybe they use all of them, and get an average?

Please just stop th silliness.
A Flop is a flop. They are calculated the same way. There is no such thing as a GCN or RDNA flop.
When someone says something vague like "it's twice the performance of Xbox one X" doesn't mean its 12TF RDNA, ask AMD why they wasted their time explaining that it's 1.25X GCN, they should said TF is TF.
Everybody know TF is a TF, but we are not discussing this so ....

You are late for this one too, you got beat again :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You got that a bit wrong.
PS3 - 720P
PS4 - 1080P
PS4 Pro - 4K
PS5 - 8K
Will display Tetris very well at 8k.

I don't think you read every post on this thread, you can check my messages history posted in this thread, you gonna find that i was called a fan boy for saying that MS need to release a more powerful console (because they have to).
here is an example above that i posted prior to our argument, you clearly missed it.

When someone says something vague like "it's twice the performance of Xbox one X" doesn't mean its 12TF RDNA, ask AMD why they wasted their time explaining that it's 1.25X GCN, they should said TF is TF.
Everybody know TF is a TF, but we are not discussing this so ....

You are late for this one too, you got beat again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Will display Tetris very well at 8k.
Didnt get beat on that one lol check again

Do you think rogame is making it up? Thats why the quote. Are you having a bad day buddy? Rogame tweets are all over the thread, go back and do some reading up

I'm asking you again : So, Phil Spencer said during last E3 that Project Scarlet will have hardware RT, do you believe in what he said?

Rogame is a dataminer. He's been looking through AMDs driver code and found this information. It's basically incontrovertible.

However, that doesn't mean the information he mined is complete or indeed fully up to date. It's just what he found.
It's only a matter of time until we get more detail on CU counts and frequency on Arden/Sparkman, which has so far been conspicuously absent.

Dont be obtuse, rogames tweets are a subject of information here. Go back and read the thread . No need for the 🧂

I'm not salty, i'm having fun actually. But you love Phil Spencer. So, Phil Spencer said during last E3 that Project Scarlet will have hardware RT, do you believe in what he said?

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Rogame is a dataminer. He's been looking through AMDs driver code and found this information. It's basically incontrovertible.

However, that doesn't mean the information he mined is complete or indeed fully up to date. It's just what he found.
It's only a matter of time until we get more detail on CU counts and frequency on Arden/Sparkman, which has so far been conspicuously absent.

That's the only reasonable sentence recently.

rsouzadk

Totally inaccurate. This current situation is unlike previous GCN generation updates. RDNA represents the most significant modification of AMD's core architecture since the introduction of GCN. The changes are dramatic. Even the compute unit setup is vastly different. Even the way the process operations has been doubled in some instances inside the inner workings of each compute unit. So, yes, in this case, an RDNA teraflop is almost certainly superior to a GCN teraflop. AMD has measured for this, and game benchmarks for their only Navi chips on the market bear this out.

Why does AMD's 9.7 teraflop Navi GPU spank their 12.6 teraflop VEGA 10 GPU? The same 295w TDP Vega GPU running a 2048-bit bus of HBM2 ram. So, no, an AMD teraflop isn't an AMD teraflop in this new post RDNA architecture world. Performance per clock is 1.25x better and performance per watt is 1.5x better. AMD doesn't make these claims lightly because they haven't made them so boldly before.

A TFlop is a TFlop, performance wise.

Microsoft has been developing DirectX Raytracing for a while, which Remedy demoed in real-time using their Northlight engine in 2018, I'm sure their repeated claims of Series X having hardware accelerated RT are legitimate.

There's no reason to believe that the PS5 wouldn't have RT either, a different solution, perhaps, given the new (current?) Ariel and Oberon info.

Good way of describing it and i agree. I think the ray tracing can be added onto the soc for ps5, but cu count and freq is matching up w/ komachi. Komachi said that arden is 50mm bigger than oberon, im assuming cu. wonder why tho none of the xbox stuff leaked myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom