• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Rogame is a dataminer. He's been looking through AMDs driver code and found this information. It's basically incontrovertible.

However, that doesn't mean the information he mined is complete or indeed fully up to date. It's just what he found.
It's only a matter of time until we get more detail on CU counts and frequency on Arden/Sparkman, which has so far been conspicuously absent.

This is why I suggest people stop going around social media calling people mad, salty etc. Because if they in fact are similar (or closer than others expect) then things are going to start looking funny around here.

This is why I think people should take these rumors lightly until things are confirmed because things can backfire.

Last edited:
Microsoft has been developing DirectX Raytracing for a while, which Remedy demoed in real-time using their Northlight engine in 2018, I'm sure their repeated claims of Series X having hardware accelerated RT are legitimate.

There's no reason to believe that the PS5 wouldn't have RT either, a different solution, perhaps, given the new (current?) Ariel and Oberon info.

What PS5 architect said few months ago in Wired article?

CyberPanda

Banned
Good way of describing it and i agree. I think the ray tracing can be added onto the soc for ps5, but cu count and freq is matching up w/ komachi. Komachi said that arden is 50mm bigger than oberon, im assuming cu. wonder why tho none of the xbox stuff leaked myself
MS Ninjas are making sure nothing leaks? Look at the XSX reveal, it was kept a secret for so long.

onQ123

Th
That would need an almost 600mm2 die. While yields are quite good on N7, wafer costs are still high and you get fewer chips per wafer. Unlikely anyone would be willing to absorb that kind of cost, cause you can bet your ass AMD are gonna be commanding better margins than 2012 when they were desperate for sales volume.

LzHe6IN.gif

R600

Banned
Question is why do you go through chip revisons to final steppings and OPN (basically, chip close to being mass produced) if you are going to cancel it for new one?

If there is a new one, where is it? We have PS5 (Ariel/Oberon - same chips) and we have Xbox (Arden/Sparkman). Where is this new PS5 chip then? We have no codename.

If Oberon, character from Shakespear (as is Ariel, Gonzalo and Flute), is canceled, why is PS5 codenamed Prospero?

Makes 0 sense. Why is there no RT in driver to be found? Who knows, but it doesnt make chip cancelled.

9.2TF Navi + 8 core Zen2 is TDP UPPER limit, even compared to PS3 (let alone PS4 and Pro)

Some of you better start accepting this....

Last edited:

sinnergy

Microsoft has been developing DirectX Raytracing for a while, which Remedy demoed in real-time using their Northlight engine in 2018, I'm sure their repeated claims of Series X having hardware accelerated RT are legitimate.

There's no reason to believe that the PS5 wouldn't have RT either, a different solution, perhaps, given the new (current?) Ariel and Oberon info.

Sure, maybe they got wind of what MS was doing and shoehorned ray tracing into the PS5, maybe NVIDIA surprised them all back in 2018 announcing Ray Tracing .

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Question is why do you go through chip revisons to final steppings and OPN (basically, chip close to being mass produced) if you are going to cancel it for new one?

If there is a new one, where is it? We have PS5 (Ariel/Oberon - same chips) and we have Xbox (Arden/Sparkman). Where is this new PS5 chip then? We have no codename.

If Oberon, character from Shakespear (as is Ariel, Gonzalo and Flute), is canceled, why is PS5 codenamed Prospero?

Makes 0 sense. Why is there no RT in driver to be found? Who knows, but it doesnt make chip cancelled.

9.2TF Navi + 8 core Zen2 is TDP UPPER limit, even compared to PS3 (let alone PS4 and Pro)

Well, you can't say, "some of you better start accepting this" when you you point out there are stuff we don't know regarding the PS5.

What you have to accept is nothing is confirmed and you have to let people speculate.

And there's the proof.. Oberon in it's current state doesn't support raytracing at all. Like Navi 10 doesn't support it at all. But since we know as a hard fact from cerny himself that PS5 will have indeed hardware raytracing we can very easily rule out that what was leaked this night is representative for Release PS5 Modell

Or it might be that Cerny et al. were bending the truth a bit, and just using compute shaders for RT.

1. PS5 is more powerful than Xbox as stated by Klee and Jason.

2. The PS5 data is real and Xbox is more powerful, Klee and Jason have lost all credibility.

3. The PS5 data is real but Xbox is NOT 12 RDNA tflops, it is 12 GCN tflops that leaves Tom Warren, Microsoft, WC and Richard L. without credibility. And both consoles would be at the same power in this case.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Or it might be that Cerny et al. were bending the truth a bit, and just using compute shaders for RT.

Yeah thts what Cerny is doing 😂 this isn't Microsoft levels of hot air. Cerny is very passionate about what he does, he isnt just a PR talking piece like Phil but deeply involved in the engineering of the console. He didn't make false claims with ps4 I doubt he is starting now.

Ppl are just so weirdly obsessessd with their piece of plastic they'll throw any bs at PS5 toake it seem as if it won't be on par or better than nextbox. In the end tons of ppl will Salty like last Gen and secret gpus, dx12 miracle and all tht bs.

gaming_noob

They def played a game there, imo, for better or worse

It certainly feels that way. The sources that gave Reiner info about PS5 > Scarlett based on “target specs”. MS provided low targets to play everyone...then again, those devs leaked confidential info to Reiner so it sorta evens out.

B_0 stepping isn't necessarily the final stepping. Just the second one. A_0 is the first stepping. A_1 would be a minor revision. Moving to B and then C and so on are major revisions.

Whether the Oberon/Ariel stuff is final. Well that depends on the timeline. They could have been tested in 2017 and scrapped due to unsatisfactory performance/yields. Navi as an architecture has been in planning since at least 2017 and was supposed to be launched in 2018 but got delayed till mid 2019. Navi 10 is the first Navi chip, which would have been in design for years now. It's been through some hardships as an architecture for sure.

My point is. We don't know. Right now it's just people lording over other people that their box is more powerful than the other box.

TLZ

Banned
This is why I suggest people stop going around social media calling people mad, salty etc. Because if they in fact are similar (or closer than others expect) then things are going to start looking funny around here.

This is why I think people should take these rumors lightly until things are confirmed because things can backfire.
Some people never learn.

It certainly feels that way. The sources that gave Reiner info about PS5 > Scarlett based on “target specs”. MS provided low targets to play everyone...then again, those devs leaked confidential info to Reiner so it sorta evens out.

That makes no sense with a PS5 of 9.2 tflops. PS5 with that figure could never have been higher than Xbox, what destination specifications would MS have then? 8 tlops? Impossible. That's why that story doesn't fit.

Yeah thts what Cerny is doing 😂 this isn't Microsoft levels of hot air. Cerny is very passionate about what he does, he isnt just a PR talking piece like Phil but deeply involved in the engineering of the console. He didn't make false claims with ps4 I doubt he is starting now.

Well, he wasn't losing with PS4. Now things might be different. It seems that Sony is using fast but this generation GPU tech in PS5 while MS is using true next gen GPU tech in XSX.

Anyway, based on these leaks and driver data mining I don't think the PS5 GPU will have RTRT support. Maybe the have a separate RT accelerating IP block from someone else in the APU, I guess that would be possible.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
1. PS5 is more powerful than Xbox as stated by Klee and Jason.

2. The PS5 data is real and Xbox is more powerful, Klee and Jason have lost all credibility.

3. The PS5 data is real but Xbox is NOT 12 RDNA tflops, it is 12 GCN tflops that leaves Tom Warren, Microsoft, WC and Richard L. without credibility. And both consoles would be at the same power in this case.

Some of y'all getting your wires crossed. I've never said PS5 was more powerful than XBSX. I'm not even sure you can make a direct comparison, given that A) there are still some variables that not everyone knows about yet, and B) there will be differences beyond the GPU that contribute to each console's performance in significant ways, such as the i/o speeds of each SSD. There won't be straight answers as to which console is "more powerful" for a while, if there ever are.

As for Klee...he knows shit. Didnt break on bit of info and when called out said he was in Alaska working 12hr night shifts.

Ar¢tos

Or PS5 has completely different RT approach and has nothing to do with RDNA2, AMD solution.
Not impossible, but unlikely. Between the three (amd, Sony, Ms), Sony is the one with more raytracing experience. They have been using it in render farms for movies CG since the 00s.
Most likely the feature is just absent from the test drivers.

I find it very unlikely that AMD would keep RDNA2 from the client that ordered more than 100m APUs, but make it available to the client that ordered 50m.
Doesn't make any business sense and PS4 success would only drive Sony to commit (and spend) more on AMD.

Not buying the last rumours.

XSX and Ps5 were supposed to be very very close in power.

I mean, I believe rogamer but I believe this leak may concern an old devkit or silicon that was supposed to became Ps5 IF it had released this year.

Doesn't add up

xPikYx

What is official is that PS5 in HW raytraced, support 8k gaming, runs gt sport at 8k,the controller has 2 new rear buttons (you can use ds4 controller by attaching the adaptor), comes in holiday 2020.

Now to run ps4 games at 8k, it can't be 9tf

To run HW raytracing, it can't be 9tf

To have hw raytracing, it can't be RDNA1

To be BC it doesn't have to necessarily be 36CU (on PC you can run the same game on win7, 8,10 with an AMD card an Nvidia Card, an intel CPU, an AMD CPU. PS4 was born with backward compatibility on the next gen system in mind, not by chance Mark Cerny wanted to use a x86 CPU, this allowed Sony to deliver the first mid gen Console upgrade, which is BC with the non PRO version).

At CES AMD will present hw raytraced navi chip, phil spencer will be on the stage, Sony will announce something exiciting by chance when AMD conference is on

CyberPanda

Banned
It makes sense if Sony were indeed planning to launch in 2019. But they didn’t because everything didn’t quite come together in time, including backwards compatibility.

So they use the extra year to maximise both clock speed and SSD speed. Plus maybe add some RDNA2 features.

why you alwys say canceled?Canceld like all work with it was futile in the end.. If iam right and theres another Version of this Chip out there the aggrement with AMD could very well have been that they develop a Navi 10 Version just to give Devs something to work with.
So this Oberon 2.0 would of course not be fundamently different than the leaked one.

forgot something - Plot thickens about PS5 at CES...

Last edited:
Cerny talked about hardware ray tracing acceleration way before we even knew the Xbox was going to be called Series X.
Why would he lie about that? It's not like he and Phil and an intimate discussion about the performance of each of their boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom