• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadAnon

When Phil Spencer said during last E3 that Project Scarlet will have hardware RT, was that confirmation of RDNA 2 then even though he didn't said anything about RDNA 2?
Where did I mention anything you just stated? You are confusing me with someone else.

Last edited:
also i want to say that to me this whole night ( i keep saying night because that what it was in Germany) leakage lookes like an orchestrated stab at sony to me. With all the Xbox Mouthpieces right at hand cheering and all the encouragement on that _rogame twitter :,, do more do more!" - as they all already knew what he was about to post. Wich off course means they sticked their heads togheter beforehand. I would be not so confindent in your Place..
Pride comes before a fall, isn´t it?

Last edited:

xool

WTF is going on here guys?

Can someone post a summary of the last 4 pages?
Could someone give me a brief summary of what's just happened in here? Seems that something occurred about 6 hours ago and everyone's been losing their shit ever since.
this thread jumped 10 pages in one night. what did i miss?

vHgoGrH.png

Somone we've never heard of before tweeted .. [here] and [here] .. these people supposedly base there info on publically available information, like code repositorys .. so how come they never link to the source ??

Btw tidbit, RT is done by an accelerator on the APU that's outside of the GPU. Not hybrid RT but nifty like the powerVr solution.
Source ?

Last edited:
It confirms it’s the AMD patented solution and AMD already confirmed you need RDNA2 for that.
It doesn't confirm anything actually. Nowhere has it been unequivocally stated that the Series X is using AMDs RTRT solution, or RDNA2. Microsoft could have their own RTRT implementation for all we know. And there certainly is no rule suggesting that in order for their to be RTRT, the chip must be RDNA2. It's custom silicon. AMD could have backported RTRT to RDNA1 or even fucking GCN for all we know.
There's precedent for this. PS4 Pro has FP16. A feature that was only available to Vega at the time. Does that mean PS4 Pro has a Vega GPU? Nope, it's still Polaris.
If the only difference between RDNA1 and RDNA2 is the presence of the RTRT cores, then sure. But again, we don't know shit about that architecture so we cannot make any baseless claims.

Aceofspades

Banned
1. PS5 is more powerful than Xbox as stated by Klee and Jason.

2. The PS5 data is real and Xbox is more powerful, Klee and Jason have lost all credibility.

3. The PS5 data is real but Xbox is NOT 12 RDNA tflops, it is 12 GCN tflops that leaves Tom Warren, Microsoft, WC and Richard L. without credibility. And both consoles would be at the same power in this case.

Its one of these three scenarios. I'm waiting for the reveals . It will be hilarious 🤣

Where did I mention anything you just stated? You are confusing me with someone else.

I'm not.

Phil Spencer during last E3 - Project Scarlet will have hardware RT................Oh gosh, without question Scarlet will have hardware RT, RDNA 2 confirmed
Cerny few months ago in Wired article - PS5 will have hardware RT ..................... Doubt, no RDNA 2

Phil Spencer recently said in Gamespot interview IIRC "next.gen RDNA"

But, after E3 bunch of article already mentioned RDNA 2 even though Phil Spencer didn't mentioned it, like this one :

The current Navi graphics cards don't support hardware ray-tracing, but the RDNA 2 cards - which will be rolling out next year according to a leaked roadmap (via TechRadar) may be sporting this feature, giving the Nvidia Turing a run for its money. If that's the case, we may see the RDNA 2 buried in the Scarlett's innards, rather than the first generation RDNA card.

And why PS5 can't have RDNA 2?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It doesn't confirm anything actually. Nowhere has it been unequivocally stated that the Series X is using AMDs RTRT solution, or RDNA2. Microsoft could have their own RTRT implementation for all we know. And there certainly is no rule suggesting that in order for their to be RTRT, the chip must be RDNA2. It's custom silicon. AMD could have backported RTRT to RDNA1 or even fucking GCN for all we know.
There's precedent for this. PS4 Pro has FP16. A feature that was only available to Vega at the time. Does that mean PS4 Pro has a Vega GPU? Nope, it's still Polaris.
If the only difference between RDNA1 and RDNA2 is the presence of the RTRT cores, then sure. But again, we don't know shit about that architecture so we cannot make any baseless claims.

I wasn’t talking about Series X but rather what has been confirmed by Mark Cerny for PS5.

TeamGhobad

Banned
If PPS5was more powerful than 12tflops, I think they would have leaked it to take away from the positive press MS have gotten. MS seem to be pushing the power of their console more than Sony are. I think that means they are pretty confident the PS5 isn't more powerful.
Both Sony and MS would be well aware of each others specs.

the bulk of their audience doesn't roam around the internet about specs. 99% of console users don't even know the specs of the console they are playing on. we are a very small minority discussing specs. they will have their full reveal soon though.

MadAnon

I'm not.

Phil Spencer during last E3 - Project Scarlet will have hardware RT................Oh gosh, without question Scarlet will have hardware RT, RDNA 2 confirmed
Cerny few months ago in Wired article - PS5 will have hardware RT ..................... Doubt, no RDNA 2
Can you link to where I said anything like this regarding XBX? As I said, you are talking to the wrong person.

Last edited:
Can you link to where I said anything like this regarding XBX? As I said, you are talking to a wrong person.

You didn't, but i've referred to this post of yours :

He didn't say anything about RDNA2 or AMD patented RT solution in PS5. He simply said there will be hardware accelerated RT.

Then i've got back to E3 and Phil Spencer where he never mentioned RDNA 2 ,yet nobody had any doubts about that. Yet you questioning what Mark Cerny said and is PS5's GPU RDNA 2. Why wouldn't be?

I see only double standards here.

If PPS5was more powerful than 12tflops, I think they would have leaked it to take away from the positive press MS have gotten. MS seem to be pushing the power of their console more than Sony are. I think that means they are pretty confident the PS5 isn't more powerful.
Both Sony and MS would be well aware of each others specs.

We can look forward to a continuous stream of tit-for-tat PR plays by both companies over the next 11 months 🚯

quest

Not Banned from OT
You didn't, but i've referred to this post of yours :

Then i've got back to E3 and Phil Spencer where he never mentioned RDNA 2 ,yet nobody had any doubts about that. Yet you questioning what Mark Cerny said and is PS5's GPU RDNA 2. Why wouldn't be?

I see only double standards here.

It's clear MS is using RDNA2. They call it next generation rdna which would be rdna2. They call zen 2 current AMD CPU. I don't know why people are freaking out yet the AMD solution could be shit and Sony could of decided to do their own instead. We have no idea until those benchmarked. I'll hold judgment on this part until more is known.

"Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD,"

Neofire

Lol. You say that as if I pull the info outta my ***hole. Well what's your counter argument to what I brought up? Besides some Klee and 1 other "insider" stuff amongst dozen of others stating XSX is far ahead of PS5, and calling me a fanboy? I could do the same thing, but I'm not willing to go that low.
That's 9.2 Tflops when all sources have reported that both consoles had 2 digits and PS5 was ahead.
Correct and it's still makes no sense for Sony to release such a outclassed console compared to Microsoft 9TF VS 12TF+? It's suicide on Sony's part especially when Microsoft is believed to be releasing a low end console as well.

They will be outclassed on price strategy and power.

For the team 8-9TF people please explain to me why they would do this, since you guys have all this "inside" information and data mined statistics.

Entroyp

Correct and it's still makes no sense for Sony torelease such a outclassed console compared to Microsoft 9TF VS 12TF+? It's suicide on Sony's part especially when Microsoft is believed to be releasing a low end console as well.

They will be outclassed on price strategy and power.

For the team 8-9TF people please explain to me why they would do this, since you guys have all this "inside" information and data mined statistics.

maybe both consoles are 9~10 Navi TF because 12 TF is way too expensive for a console.

I also remember this place back in 2012 and 2013 and all the outrageous claims and lies from fanboys on the internet who are now even posting here. It’s hard to take anything seriously anymore.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Because chances are, Sony is yet again aiming for 399$, just like with OG PS4, Pro, and PSVR - all super successful, so why change something that already works? While MS with their multiple consoles approach can aim for higher price=higher specs with the top-tier model.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Because chances are, Sony is yet again aiming for 399$, just like with OG PS4, Pro, and PSVR - all super successful, so why change something that already works? While MS with their multiple consoles approach can aim for higher price=higher specs with the top-tier model.
The reality is that you can't make a console to last a gen for 399 this time. It might be ok for the first 2 years, but after that it becomes completely obsolete.

R600

Banned
9.2TF with RT and VRS + Zen2 + SSD will certainly result in higher TDP then PS4, PS4Pro and even PS3.

So, if Sony is following standard console cycle, form factor and TDP, this will be one they pushed hardest.

Only reason 12TF could exist is if you make PC tower and throw entire console constraints out of the window.

If you have dual SKU you can do that. With single one - I doubt it.

And this will result in closer matchup then Pro vs X. CPUs will be the same, memory will be the same and only difference will be 30% more TF for more money.

It's clear MS is using RDNA2. They call it next generation rdna which would be rdna2. They call zen 2 current AMD CPU. I don't know why people are freaking out yet the AMD solution could be shit and Sony could of decided to do their own instead. We have no idea until those benchmarked. I'll hold judgment on this part until more is known.

"Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD,"

Yeah, after Phil Spencer's word week or two ago. But nobody ever doubted is Scarlet RDNA 2 after E3 teaser. Everybody concluded it is RDNA 2 without question.

Phil Spencer at E3 - Scarlet will have hardware RT.................................oh shit, RDNA 2 confirmed.

xPikYx

Yeah, after Phil Spencer's word week or two ago. But nobody ever doubted is Scarlet RDNA 2 after E3 teaser. Everybody concluded it is RDNA 2 without question.

Phil Spencer at E3 - Scarlet will have hardware RT.................................oh shit, RDNA 2 confirmed.
This reminds me 4GB vs. 8 GB GDDR5 Ram war during ps4 leaks period

Bryank75

Banned
maybe both consoles are 9~10 Navi TF because 12 TF is way to expensive for a console.

I also remember this place back in 2012 and 2013 and all the outrageous claims and lies from fanboys on the internet who are now even posting here. It’s hard to take anything seriously here.

That's exactly what I think, it lines up with what Spencer said about SEX being 8 times faster than the base Xbox One.

It also lines up with what we have been hearing about SEX being just a tiny bit less powerful in the GPU but a bit more powerful in the CPU!

It's obviously in or around 9 - 10 of the RDNA metric of TFlops for both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom