• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-generation Pro Evolution Soccer ( Efootball ) will use a new engine and not the FOX Engine.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with WinPes, Konami’s Kei Matsuda confirmed that the next-generation version of Pro Evolution Soccer will use a new engine. On the other hand, the game’s current-gen version will keep using the FOX Engine.

As Matsuda told WinPes when asked about a new engine powering the PES series:

“Our plans focus on the version of the game that is relevant at this time. Updating such technologies is a very risky step. Before creating or releasing anything, you need to evaluate all the risks. In the future we plan to change the main engine, but this will not happen before the time when a new generation of game consoles will appear. On the current generation, the FOX engine will remain forever. We are not planning any changes.”

Next gen football games are going to look insane visually and play like the real thing.

I cant wait for:
- Real kit and ball physics
- Improved player animation
- Real weather and pitch effects that can influence movement of players and the ball
- Ray traced stadium lights

I better stop typing. Da Boner.

Last edited:
Next gen football games are going to look insane visually and play like the real thing.

I cant wait for:
- Real kit and ball physics
- Improved player animation
- Real weather and pitch effects that can influence movement of players and the ball
- Ray traced stadium lights

I better stop typing. Da Boner.
I had the same dreams until I realized that FIFA rigs the matches and deliberately frustrate you.

At the same time STILL in WWE-Games:
wwe-error-gif.0.gif

Last edited:
So Kojima and his team spend years developing FOX engine only to be dumped by Konami couple years latter

Fox engine is now officially dead...along with Sillent Hill, Metal Gear, Castlevania and many others....

What a total waste and disaster.....

Last edited:
I would love an old style arcade football game on PC. Something that plays like International Superstar Soccer. Does such a thing exist?

Saruhashi

Banned
I would love an old style arcade football game on PC. Something that plays like International Superstar Soccer. Does such a thing exist?

There are a few possible ones. Legendary Eleven and Super Arcade Football come to mind.
I don't know if the old NeoGeo ones are available on PC but they are fun for a quick play.

FIFA and modern PES (which originates from ISS, I think?) are a bit to overly complex for my liking.
I think "arcade" football doesn't sell so well and where the big two seem to rule the market.

I wish Sega would do Virtual Striker remakes.

I don't think any football game has done it for me since Sensible Soccer.

There are a few possible ones. Legendary Eleven and Super Arcade Football come to mind.
I don't know if the old NeoGeo ones are available on PC but they are fun for a quick play.

FIFA and modern PES (which originates from ISS, I think?) are a bit to overly complex for my liking.
I think "arcade" football doesn't sell so well and where the big two seem to rule the market.

I wish Sega would do Virtual Striker remakes.

I don't think any football game has done it for me since Sensible Soccer.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look later. I spent countless hours on Sensible World of Soccer back in the day. The pinnacle of the Sensible Soccer series, in my opinion.

Seems accurate to actual wrestling.

z7F8Sfk.gif
Nothing better, than a good botch!

Sorry for derailing... back to the footsies...where I have no "real" opinion, because nothing is more boring than the good old Volkssport.
World Cup 90 on the Sega-3-in-1-Cartridge was all time best!
World-Cup-Italia-90-bicycle.gif

Saruhashi

Banned
Nothing better, than a good botch!

Sorry for derailing... back to the footsies...where I have no "real" opinion, because nothing is more boring than the good old Volkssport.
World Cup 90 on the Sega-3-in-1-Cartridge was all time best!
World-Cup-Italia-90-bicycle.gif

Holy fuck!

That is a blast from the past!

Columns and Super Hang On came with this too!?

CJY

Banned
It has Kojima DNA written all over it

Konami want to get rid

I find little reason for them to use a completely new engine. It'd be wholly unnecessary to dump the whole thing for a new engine. The "Fox Engine" name on the other hand... I can see them slapping a brand new label on it and calling it "completely new" while making the necessary upgrades to make it seem "next gen".

I say this because as far as I'm aware, it's unprecedented for a major engine to get rebranded like that and whilst Konami might do things many disagree with, being stupid is arguably not one of them.

Last edited:

Roufianos

This is bad news. PES has been back to its best the last few years because they started implementing instead of scrapping the engine year-on-year.

CamHostage

I find little reason for them to use a completely new engine. It'd be wholly unnecessary to dump the whole thing for a new engine. The "Fox Engine" name on the other hand... I can see them slapping a brand new label on it and calling it "completely new" while making the necessary upgrades to make it seem "next gen".

That may happen, but I'd guess more that Fox Engine is just done. I just don't think they have anybody left to maintain it or redevelop Fox Engine going forward. Konami has scaled back internal productions since the Kojima debacle (their studios have only been making PES and Jikkyu Pro Baseball since 2016, with Metal Gear Survive in 2018 being a rare exception and Contra: Rogue Corps a co-development project,) and really aside from Metal Gear and the sports games the company hadn't been producing much stuff in-house besides sports and MGS for the whole PS360 generation before that. As great as Fox Engine is when utilized, a game engine needs a lot of support to be useful, and unless there's a sudden, blessful shift in their outlook, there's little reason for Konami to bother putting those resources into it.

PES Mobile is already on UE4, and it'd make sense that the console version would also use an established engine like that one since Konami is looking to redevelop it for next-gen anyway.

Last edited:

Tschumi

These games are a curious phenomenon in which graphics don't seem to make many jumps, which is hard for me to understand.. obviously there are differences between fifa 20 and world cup 2010, but the zoomed out camera are bullet speed repay skipping adds up to a pretty consistently distant point of view which minimises player detail~

I'm dumbfounded that these games haven't conquered fabric physics yet... NHL 2001 already had gyrating fabrics.. as far as I'm concerned we should have seen Leverkusen Ballack with a boogying Jersey and floppy hair!

Top Bottom