• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

XLNC

West coast, Alberta specifically. I order on the 3rd of December pretty much when it came out, but I here people who waited an hour or 2 also had theirs ship, but then again it is Google. Hopefully the orders start rolling out for everyone!

I got my order in within the first 10 minutes on the 3rd and mine hasn't shipped yet. :(

Hieberrr

Thanks, I'll check both out :)

I'm just starting out, so I have no idea who or what to subscribe to. What does everyone here subscribe to?

Regarding the battery life:

1. Google removed the factory images of 4.2.1. Many believe this is due to the bugs in it (there is a deep sleep bug they've admitted to) and the fact Qualcomm believes their hardware drivers need to be updated (see below). This also implies that an update is coming soon.

2. XDA has discovered that Qualcomm locks the processor cores to 1ghz whenever you touch the screen and leaves it there for about 3 seconds before allowing it to throttle down to about 300mhz. This means that even when you're just scrolling or tapping or doing any other low-load tasks, the processor is still running at a higher clip. Worse yet, when you stop touching the screen, it takes a few seconds to throttle itself down. People have found that using a rooted device to cap the processor at 980mhz exponentially improves battery life, and the phone immediately throttles down once you stop touching the screen, instead of lingering there. Many have gone from 3hrs average screen time to 5hrs+ with heavy usage -- with just this one minor tweak.

3. Apparently, Qualcomm is aware of this throttling issue, and they plan to update their drivers to make them less aggressive.

4. Points 1 and 3 are speculation, so don't kill me if they don't pan out.

This might explain the terrible battery life results from that GSM Arena test. The battery on N4 is still really not good though, people who have been waiting all this time on unshipped orders could probably use this time to reconsider if they really want this phone or not. A smartphone which you can't actually use without killing the battery is not much of a smartphone.

I'd be willing to put money on them fixing the governors; I've posted enough in this thread about my improved battery life with custom governors and undervolting, while improving benchmark results. 4.2 is seriously the most inconsistent android launch yet.

Those of who bought the Galaxy Nexus at launch and got ICS 4.0.1 know quite a bit about inconsistency and bugginess in Android, actually. It's one reason I wasn't so hot on the N4, in addition to the bad battery life, tiny non-expandable storage capacity, and overheating issues. New Android versions launch buggy, that's been Google's MO since the beginning. Nexus owners are guinea pigs for new versions of Android, and so I decided to pass on the N4.

cube444

This might explain the terrible battery life results from that GSM Arena test. The battery on N4 is still really not good though, people who have been waiting all this time on unshipped orders could probably use this time to reconsider if they really want this phone or not. A smartphone which you can't actually use without killing the battery is not much of a smartphone.

My battery life has been solid. What have you been getting?

la_briola

Thanks, I'll check both out :)

I'm just starting out, so I have no idea who or what to subscribe to. What does everyone here subscribe to?

The ones I always listen to:

English:
8-4 Play (Japanese Gaming)
Giant Bombcast (Gaming)
Irrational Podcasts (Gaming)
Idle Thumbs (Gaming)

German:
Alternativlos (Politics, Tech, Conspiracy theories and more)

Isn't this the effect of project butter?

No. Qualcomm's governor is just too aggressive/unpolished. This didn't happen with the Galaxy Nexus after JB, and people have been able to get better benchmarks, battery life and performance on the N4 by simply not using Qualcomm's processor governor.

Why three whole seconds? Seems arbitrary, and I have done UI programming.

Indeed. Those seconds add up, and since your finger is almost always touching the screen every few seconds when you have it on, this means the processor is pretty much never throttling down, even when you're doing light tasks.

Huh? I've been using mine just fine. Even with heavy usage, I get home with a juice to spare -- not much juice, but still juice. Let's not get crazy with the hyperbole.

The kernel just needs tweaking, and the tweaks are out there already for those that want them. I'm just waiting to see if it gets corrected officially before making the leap to never worrying about my battery life ever again.

My battery life has been solid. What have you been getting?

I passed on this year's Nexus. Maybe next year Google will give us a bigger battery and storage capacity.

Huh? I've been using mine just fine. Even with heavy usage, I get home with a juice to spare -- not much juice, but still juice. Let's not get crazy with the hyperbole.

See, this is the problem for me. I don't want to get home and be almost dead. I want to use my phone after I get home too. That used to drive me nuts with my GNex, I hated getting home and being almost dead and then not being able to listen to music without charging it first. I resolved after that experience to get a phone which has a battery which lasts from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed without having to charge it during my waking hours.

cube444

The kernel just needs tweaking, and the tweaks are out there already for those that want them. I'm just waiting to see if it gets corrected officially before making the leap to never worrying about my battery life ever again.

Ya my buddy has done some kernel under volting and has been getting over a day use on his N4 with 58% left:

Link

Hieberrr

The ones I always listen to:

English:
8-4 Play (Japanese Gaming)
Giant Bombcast (Gaming)
Irrational Podcasts (Gaming)
Idle Thumbs (Gaming)

German:
Alternativlos (Politics, Tech, Conspiracy theories and more)

So would you guys who've received bumpers still recommend them, over a standard-issue TPU case?

How easy/fast is it to slip the bumper on and off?

I have no frame of reference as far as cases are concerned, so I'm sure someone else can speak to that. I do know that the bumper, even though it makes the phone only a couple millimeters larger along the edges, makes the phone feel noticeably larger. At least in my opinion. It also won't protect against a legitimate drop it feels like. It offers minimal protection and avoids the back (or front) glass from touching the surface it is laying on.

Bumper is simple and quick to get on and off - yet if feels securely on the phone when it is on. Just pop the phone in and out.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
So would you guys who've received bumpers still recommend them, over a standard-issue TPU case?

How easy/fast is it to slip the bumper on and off?

I would not. To me it feels more slippy with it on than off. Actually I will be selling mine and keeping the diztronic case.

Rhindle

Thanks. Sounds like a case is the way to go.

I just want something to slap on when I'm out running/biking. The phone isn't actually that danger-prone in everyday use, as long as you remember not to place it near the edge of any flat surface.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

You're overreacting. Battery complaints occur for basically every smartphone after release, except maybe the Maxxx and Note. Just give it a bit. If xda is to be believed, the GSMArena test will be obsolete.

LG Nexus 4 Still Expensive on Online Retailers
There is still a high demand on LG Nexus 4 and online retailers are taking advantage of the limited and delayed supply to keep the price high.

Google Play Store is still suffering from low and slow supply of its best-selling product - LG Nexus 4. Thus, a lot of third-party sellers put an expensive tag price on the device. The Nexus 4 is still retails above $500 on average for the 8GB model and more than $600 for the top-end 16GB variant. On the good side, the LG Nexus 4 is now available on more third-party retailers, giving customers more option.

Apparently, re-sellers online are taking advantage of the huge demand, and customers are left with no choice but to wait for additional units from the Google Play Store, or pay a hefty amount for the device online via these retailers.

In Google Play Store, the LG Nexus 4 with 8GB retails for $299 while the 16GB model costs $349 each. According to LG, the low inventory is related to huge demand, but the Korean tech company is reportedly gearing up to ship more units next year to accommodate more customers.
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/414536/20121213/lg-nexus-4-buy-preorder-price-sell.htm

well, at least someone is talking about it...

I passed on this year's Nexus. Maybe next year Google will give us a bigger battery and storage capacity.

See, this is the problem for me. I don't want to get home and be almost dead. I want to use my phone after I get home too. That used to drive me nuts with my GNex, I hated getting home and being almost dead and then not being able to listen to music without charging it first. I resolved after that experience to get a phone which has a battery which lasts from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed without having to charge it during my waking hours.

I usually get home after work with 40-50% left, which is way more than the GNex did. If I go out after work with friends, it is usually closer to 15-20.

But, it sounds like you have already convinced yourself the phone is an absolute abortion based solely on random Internet impressions. So, as you were.

Quixzlizx

LG Nexus 4 Still Expensive on Online Retailers

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/414536/20121213/lg-nexus-4-buy-preorder-price-sell.htm

well, at least someone is talking about it...

I feel almost bad that I ordered mine on Tuesday night and already had it delivered yesterday. I actually have to use it as an Android iPod until my T-Mo micro-sim arrives sometime next week.

Also, JB is indeed smooth as butter so far. It's amazing compared to my OG Transformer, and it's pushing just about the same amount of pixels on-screen.

freshair

1.35/384
intellidemand
snake charmer on
mpdecision off
-100mv
eco mode

auto-bightness
g+ instant upload + dropbox camera upload
fb messenger, gtalk, skype

I don't like turning off features so my usage will always be moderate to heavy, including location services.

Even with the pesky msm wakelock, I'm still getting a full day's use out of it (7am-2/3am).

hQRsA.png
bkcRi.png
mnosN.png

Coverly

Been lurking the thread for a while, too pissed about this whole shipping fiasco to post anything worthwhile. Ordered Nov 27th, nothing.

I looked at craigslist, and just to get the whole thing over with, I might just bite on a listing. What should I be looking for if I do buy it from there? Do I ask the person for his/her receipt or does the warranty just rely on registering the serial for the phone? Anything else I should be wary of or check?

Shambles

Been lurking the thread for a while, too pissed about this whole shipping fiasco to post anything worthwhile. Ordered Nov 27th, nothing.

I looked at craigslist, and just to get the whole thing over with, I might just bite on a listing. What should I be looking for if I do buy it from there? Do I ask the person for his/her receipt or does the warranty just rely on registering the serial for the phone? Anything else I should be wary of or check?

If you call Google for warranty you'll need the name and email of the original purchaser. You tell them it was a gift to you. Make sure it turns on, works, and that if you're buying a 16GB unit that they didn't just throw an 8GB phone in a 16GB box.

Edit: Just got shipping notification. 16GB model, in Edmonton, ordered on the 3rd in the 1-2 week window.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm just glad it'll arrive before xmas since mine's a gift. I was getting worried it wouldn't show up until the new year and I'd need to buy a backup present.

Me too. Google told me Jan 02/13 but when I saw another pre authorization on my card last night I had a feeling something good was up. It's going to be a Nexus take over at the house as the gf is getting a Nexus 4 and the mother in law a Nexus 7. iOS is on its way out.

Leonsito

Still no news for Spain, is there a way I can order one from UK or Germany?

I was going to gift one for my girlfriend and it seems I'm truly fucked :(

Coverly

If you call Google for warranty you'll need the name and email of the original purchaser. You tell them it was a gift to you. Make sure it turns on, works, and that if you're buying a 16GB unit that they didn't just throw an 8GB phone in a 16GB box.

Edit: Just got shipping notification. 16GB model, in Edmonton, ordered on the 3rd in the 1-2 week window.

Thanks, I will. Grats on the shipping!

Still no news for Spain, is there a way I can order one from UK or Germany?

I was going to gift one for my girlfriend and it seems I'm truly fucked :(

PM me, I'm in London. But you won't get the phone for AGES. I'm still waiting!

It's really stupid, as some got a 4-5 week delivery time, but it shipped the next day. Others are still waiting. Like, for real?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Any Americans order off the T-Mobile site? Backed up like it is on the Play store or is there any difference? Apparently they don't sell them in store (lol?). Hoping to upgrade to the phone this month if the orders aren't backed up forever.

Any Americans order off the T-Mobile site? Backed up like it is on the Play store or is there any difference? Apparently they don't sell them in store (lol?). Hoping to upgrade to the phone this month if the orders aren't backed up forever.

I bought mine in-store here in NYC. Where are you? You might try calling around to local T-mobile shops...

Anyone know of any cases that don't overlap the curved sides of the screen? They feel so nice and I'd hate to cover them up with a case.

similar to this:
Bioserie15.jpg

(Only overlapping corners or maybe top/bottom)

I did. Lucky for tmobile customers they sell the 16 gig version. I upgraded jus fine.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I did. Lucky for tmobile customers they sell the 16 gig version. I upgraded jus fine.

TMobile store shows out of stock for me, and no one in the whole area seems to have one. :/ God damn it Googy.

Top Bottom