• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

f0rk

Phone arrived. First impressions, the screen is huggggeeee compared to the Nexus S, but the profile doesn't seem that much bigger. Don't think I'm going to start using it properly until the GiffGaff sim arrives though, visiting a friend this week and don't

Off topic, I rang to cancel my Orange contract and when trying to convince me to stay they said something about O2 3G being only 1.9mb/s and EE being 7.8mb/s or something. This is BS right?

Phone arrived. First impressions, the screen is huggggeeee compared to the Nexus S, but the profile doesn't seem that much bigger. Don't think I'm going to start using it properly until the GiffGaff sim arrives though, visiting a friend this week and don't

Off topic, I rang to cancel my Orange contract and when trying to convince me to stay they said something about O2 3G being only 1.9mb/s and EE being 7.8mb/s or something. This is BS right?

maybe he means in your current location, but a quick Google search led me to an article about them rolling out DC-HSPA+ all across their coverage areas.

derder

So I fixed my Bluetooth problem.

I took my N4 and GNex to a friend's car and was able to sync both up perfectly. That assured me that it was my car.

It turns out that my car (2012 Impreza) keeps a bluetooth entry for BT-Phone access and one for BT-A. When I would try to set my phone up for BT-A, it would fail security or not see the BT sync at all. I had to go through my steering wheel and reset the bluetooth system altogether.

TehOh

Custom kernels man, custom kernels.

Not my pics, but I've flashed this kernel and am using the same settings as this guy (albeit tweaked slightly). I'll report on whether it's this good for me after a day or so.

Faux kernel 2b6, 1.35GHz/702MHz clock on Intellidemand governor. Snakecharmer enabled, MPDecision off. CPU Eco mode enabled; westwood TCP Congestion control, Vibration at 50%. Gmail/2x exchange accounts/fb/twitter/dropbox sync on. Location on (wifi/tower), GPS location off.

I added a -100mV undervolt, and everything is as buttery smooth as before. We'll see how long I last on these settings.

Is there a guide somewhere for doing all of this? I love the Nexus, but the battery life is shit. I'd like to improve it, but don't really have a clue about any of this stuff.

Any chance that Google will improve it themselves soon?

Hieberrr

I just received my black Diztronic case. I took some pictures using my camera, but they are all RAW images and I don't have any way to convert them to jpg/png right now.

First of all, the Diztronic logo is barely noticeable on the matte black. So that's good news!

Texture & Material
The case has an extremely nice matte finish that is smooth and also a little soft. I looks nice, but it feels a little strange since the matte finish/case feels softer than the S-Line. The case, even though it may feel softer in comparison to the S-Line is actually thicker. I checked them both side by side and compared the thickness of the case by observing the cutouts, and the Diztronic is definitely thicker. The one downside to this is that it's a little slippery compared to the S-Line. While the S-Line provides grooves and different textures to offer a better grip, the Diztronic is pretty much all matte and makes it harder to grip.

Rim
The rim around the screen is also thicker, thus covering more of the glass, which protects the glass better than the S-Line and provides more space between the glass and the surface that you may put it on. Since it covers more of the glass, my first concern was whether or not it covered the actual usable screen. Turns out, it doesn't as it leaves a couple of millimeters around the usable screen on both the left and right sides.

Cutouts
Cutouts were perfect. Nothing to complain about here.

Buttons
The buttons are extremely easy to press as you can feel where the buttons are. The one downside though is that the volume rocker is one single piece, so if you aren't looking, it's hard to distinguish between + and -.

Overall
The case is extremely nice, extremely professional looking, and most importantly seems to provide your phone good enough protection. For $12.50, it's easily one of the better cases out there. I highly recommend it. Do I recommend it over the S-Line? I'd say maybe. It's hard for me to decide since I'll be using both. Aesthetically, the Diztronic case is much nicer than the S-Line.

Shipping
Shipping to Canada was pretty fast. I think it took around 5 business days or so? Definitely waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy faster than waiting for one to come from China or HK.

PROS:
- Looks nice
- Thicker than S-Line
- Bigger rim to cover more of the glass
- Cutouts and buttons are perfect

Cons:
- Slippery/hard to hold
- Volume rocker - hard to distinguish between + and - if not looking.

Heh, when I was orange I never got over 2mbs! But yeah, retentions trying to spin any old story to keep you on the network.

Cigol

In the app drawer my widget screen is suddenly lagging quite bad, is this a known problem? I'm assuming it's one of the widgets but short of uninstalling everything....

Hieberrr

Lots of awesome features in CM10.1, but I'll wait until it hits stable or gets further with its nightlies. I don't like flashing new roms very often. Stock is good for now.

They uploaded a video of the new Quick Settings.

freshair

Lots of awesome features in CM10.1, but I'll wait until it hits stable or gets further with its nightlies. I don't like flashing new roms very often. Stock is good for now.

They uploaded a video of the new Quick Settings.

Yup. Been using it for a few weeks know and it's honestly pretty great. They just recently merged the "slide across status bar to adjust brightness" and it's godly.

Though I don't have the same setting screens animation as in the video ;__;. So pretty

Milpool

Yeah, I got a shipping notification this morning and TNT tried to deliver whilst I was out. Supposed to be coming back again later today, fingers crossed.

I decided to call and check up on my order, he said it had been sent, but had no idea why I hadn't had my shipped/tracking email and he'd look into it. 10 a few mins later I got my tracking info.

So hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

Im pretty thankful for the disabling options. I dont use google play books or movies so the fact i can disable then is a bit nicer than needing to root and uninstall them.

I'm pretty happy with stock.

Finally...... My Nexus 4 has been shipped.

Realised this evening that I'll have to wave goodbye to stock browser, full screen browsing and quick controls. Anything else out there offer this functionality?

Finally...... My Nexus 4 has been shipped.

Realised this evening that I'll have to wave goodbye to stock browser, full screen browsing and quick controls. Anything else out there offer this functionality?
Im using Xscope Browser. It doesn't get enough love. Yes I'm browsing full screen right now.

Hieberrr

Some picture so the Diztronic case. Sorry about the terrible flash and lighting, I did this really quickly.

LJYP3.jpg

PGeQP.jpg

OCdAH.jpg

The case is black. Flash made it look grey.

The more I use it, the happier I am with it. This >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S-Line.

f0rk

I'm confused by Google Music and how to sync it without downloading everything. I have all my music in google's cloud and on my PC, and can't have it all on the phone. Downloading anything takes forever so I've transferred the music I want with a cable and they appear in the app OK but they haven't synced to the playlists I made on my PC. Like the thumbs up playlist doesn't have anything in it with "On Device Only" ticked, but fills up otherwise.

Edit: Ah sorted it, needed to delete cached data and resync. We are living in the future!

Edit2: Ah no it didn't work, I didn't have the On Device Only ticked :/ Any one have a solution?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Any other recommendations for cases?

Just got phone now and set it all up. Fuck Bell for charging me for that micro Sim. 25 dollars. Going to let them have it whey contract is up and I switch.

cube444

Any other recommendations for cases?

Just got phone now and set it all up. Fuck Bell for charging me for that micro Sim. 25 dollars. Going to let them have it whey contract is up and I switch.

Did you get the micro sim LTE?

I ordered (still waiting) the Diztronic case in black and the bumper (still waiting) from fellow board member SSSGMUN10000.

Those are the only two that interest me.

sca2511

So the micro-scratches begin. My plan has been to use this phone naked, as I like the look of it and I thought the Gorilla Glass was nigh indestructible. However, today I notice a dime-sized area on the back of the phone is covered in little micro-scratches. You don't notice it when looking head on, but when moving it around to admire the back, the micro-scratches catch the light and are noticeable. From the looks of it I assume it was some small piece of sand or other silicate on the surface it was sitting on (one of my desks) that it just moved around over to cause this.

Is this a normal occurrence of phones with Gorilla Glass? Is it going to get bad enough that I should pick up a case/cover? I've been debating the bumper at least to keep the surfaces from rubbing, but now I'm questioning the durability of Gorilla Glass.

I don't believe the back is Gorilla Glass. Only the front. I have hairline micro scratches on the back of mine, but the front is clean. Using a bumper case by the way, I'll probably get a protector for the back.

After three weeks of waiting, I'll finally get my hands on my Nexus 4 today.

(It's been sitting in my office for two weeks while I was on vacation in the UK.)

Ok, so, my Nexus 4 won't be with me today, TNT (courier) said they'd received shipping notification but no phone, so it should arrive tomorrow now.

One more day......

KarmaCow

I'm guessing (hoping) Transformers: Dark of the Moon is part of some Google Play thing that comes with the Nexus 4 right? I really hope I don't buy shitty movies while I'm sleeping.

edit: also this is more of an android thing, but is there anyway to disable the youtube app from auto playing videos in hq/hd while it's fullscreen?

Rengoku

Got my Nexus 4 early yesterday morning, was pleasantly surprised that Google managed to ship it this early, as I was part of the 2nd wave of Canadian orders (Dec 3rd) and the original estimate for my order was 3-4 weeks.

On top of that, the Ringke Slim case and NFC tags that I ordered a couple weeks back showed up in my mailbox as well. All that's left is the Qi charger ordered last week... which is still showing out-of-stock.

Also got LTE working on the phone, managed to get 46mbps down, 20mbps up at home, goddamn...

exYle

Got my Nexus 4 early yesterday morning, was pleasantly surprised that Google managed to ship it this early, as I was part of the 2nd wave of Canadian orders (Dec 3rd) and the original estimate for my order was 3-4 weeks.

On top of that, the Ringke Slim case and NFC tags that I ordered a couple weeks back showed up in my mailbox as well. All that's left is the Qi charger ordered last week... which is still showing out-of-stock.

Also got LTE working on the phone, managed to get 46mbps down, 20mbps up at home, goddamn...

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Alberta and my shipping estimate is the same.

I've been playing with it all morning and I love it.

It's super snappy and responsive (it's making my Nexus 7 look pretty slow, actually) and I'm getting great speeds on Solavei/T-Mo. Not really missing LTE at all.

Calls/messaging are working great and I'm using Google Voice as my default VM. Pretty fucking psyched with this thing.

elty

How do people increase battery life?

Would using something like SetCPU and throttle it to 1Ghz works well? I don't really need all that computing power.

Rengoku

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Alberta and my shipping estimate is the same.

Toronto, I know some people who ordered before me (1-2 week window) didn't even get theirs shipped yet. Seems theres some kind of screw up with the order in which Google is shipping them out.

Milpool

You sure about that? I put peggle on mine a few minutes ago and it plays just fine.

I purchased it last year for my Desire S, now it's listed as incompatible for the Nexus 4 when I try and install it through either the play store app or the play store website. Though searching for Peggle on the store brings no results, I'm guessing it was removes from the UK store.

I purchased it last year for my Desire S, now it's listed as incompatible for the Nexus 4 when I try and install it through either the play store app or the play store website. Though searching for Peggle on the store brings no results, I'm guessing it was removes from the UK store.

I installed it through the Amazon app market. Works for me just fine. I never knew it was ever up on the Play Store.

Toronto, I know some people who ordered before me (1-2 week window) didn't even get theirs shipped yet. Seems theres some kind of screw up with the order in which Google is shipping them out.

which is probably why they stopped taking orders. people who were looking at 9 weeks are probably getting theirs shipped before the 1-2 weekers lol.

i expect this type of shit from companies who's stock doesn't cost hundreds per share.

Trying to decide whether to go with a pouch or a bumper for this thing.

I really love the case-free form factor, but I just know I'm going to drop this thing, probably many times, so I'm thinking a bumper is the best compromise between style and safety.

Top Bottom