• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

exYle

If you call Google for warranty you'll need the name and email of the original purchaser. You tell them it was a gift to you. Make sure it turns on, works, and that if you're buying a 16GB unit that they didn't just throw an 8GB phone in a 16GB box.

Edit: Just got shipping notification. 16GB model, in Edmonton, ordered on the 3rd in the 1-2 week window.

Awesome. I'm in Edmonton, but shipping to Calgary. I'm also under 3-4 weeks, but I'm glad to hear that the phones are getting shipped out.

maharg

idspispopd
Apparently my phone is being shipped from Kentucky. Heh. It's in Illinois now. Looks like it actually started shipping about the time the Pre-Ordered tag showed up on my account page from the tracking info.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well if anyone still looking seems like I will have a spare phone for sale. The ebay buyer who won the auction decided he wants to cancel. PM me if anyone is interested.

mnannola

Not sure if it was talked about already, but has anyone received their promised shipping refund from Google? I believe they said it would take a week to process, but that was 2 weeks ago and I haven't seen anything yet.

EDIT:
I am an idiot and should have checked my bank before this post. Just received the refund today.

kagete

My Rearth Ringke Slim (matte grey) case came in today and it's perfect for the N4. It's like the phone and case had sex with each other and decided they were soulmates and should never be apart. This case is amazing and I remember paying $40 for similar quality iphone cases but this one is a steal at $10. Ordered it 2 days ago on Amazon and it came in 2 days via USPS even though it wasn't a Prime order.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
My Rearth Ringke Slim (matte grey) case came in today and it's perfect for the N4. It's like the phone and case had sex with each other and decided they were soulmates and should never be apart. This case is amazing and I remember paying $40 for similar quality iphone cases but this one is a steal at $10. Ordered it 2 days ago on Amazon and it came in 2 days via USPS even though it wasn't a Prime order.

Can you post pics of it? How does it feel in hand?

kagete

Together with the phone, it feels chiseled and solid, which is the big difference in hand feel of the N4 compared to my previous GNex which was a super thin/light plastic thing I never bothered using a case for.

I have a bad camera and lighting but here are a couple
IMG_20121214_180756.jpg

IMG_20121214_180741.jpg

I just got the Diztronic case today, and it is downright amazing. It's a perfect fit, has a good amount of protection on the back, a nice amount of lip on the front that wraps around to protect the screen, and the black matte finish no longer makes the phone a slippery bar of soap.

I know someone posted pictures of it in smoke gray, but black looks nicer.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Thanks kagete. Sure does look nice. I was interested in the white one but ended buying the diztronic case. Maybe will pick one up later on. Is this a soft case or a hard one?

Hieberrr

I just got the Diztronic case today, and it is downright amazing. It's a perfect fit, has a good amount of protection on the back, a nice amount of lip on the front that wraps around to protect the screen, and the black matte finish no longer makes the phone a slippery bar of soap.

I know someone posted pictures of it in smoke gray, but black looks nicer.
I cannot wait for mine to come :O~

kagete

Thanks kagete. Sure does look nice. I was interested in the white one but ended buying the diztronic case. Maybe will pick one up later on. Is this a soft case or a hard one?

This is hard but with the rubbery feel. I'm tempted by the official bumper, just because of the rarity but the reports of it being slippery are scaring me off.

Coverly

Well the person I was suppose to meet tomorrow to get the nexus 4 phones from craigslist msg me earlier that he had sold one of the 2 that he was suppose to sell to me. Asked me if I was still interested in the one he had left. Though I thought it was a shitty move, I just politely said no thanks. I'm done trying/waiting. Tomorrow I'm just going to get a Note 2 and an S3 for my wife and be done with all this.

Finally saw an N4 in person today in the Carphone Warehouse. It was a lot lighter than I was expecting, definitely lighter than my GSM Galaxy Nexus with the extended battery. Can't really comment on performance or anything in detail as it had a massive anti-theft device strapped to it.

Still, looked like a nice bit of kit, I look forward to playing with it if when Google get around to completing my order!

Cyrillus

So the micro-scratches begin. My plan has been to use this phone naked, as I like the look of it and I thought the Gorilla Glass was nigh indestructible. However, today I notice a dime-sized area on the back of the phone is covered in little micro-scratches. You don't notice it when looking head on, but when moving it around to admire the back, the micro-scratches catch the light and are noticeable. From the looks of it I assume it was some small piece of sand or other silicate on the surface it was sitting on (one of my desks) that it just moved around over to cause this.

Is this a normal occurrence of phones with Gorilla Glass? Is it going to get bad enough that I should pick up a case/cover? I've been debating the bumper at least to keep the surfaces from rubbing, but now I'm questioning the durability of Gorilla Glass.

So the micro-scratches begin. My plan has been to use this phone naked, as I like the look of it and I thought the Gorilla Glass was nigh indestructible. However, today I notice a dime-sized area on the back of the phone is covered in little micro-scratches. You don't notice it when looking head on, but when moving it around to admire the back, the micro-scratches catch the light and are noticeable. From the looks of it I assume it was some small piece of sand or other silicate on the surface it was sitting on (one of my desks) that it just moved around over to cause this.

Is this a normal occurrence of phones with Gorilla Glass? Is it going to get bad enough that I should pick up a case/cover? I've been debating the bumper at least to keep the surfaces from rubbing, but now I'm questioning the durability of Gorilla Glass.

yes, gorilla glass isn't that impressive. id recommend a screen protector

edit: also for the new page:

Anyone know of any cases that don't overlap the curved sides of the screen? They feel so nice and I'd hate to cover them up with a case.

similar to this:
Bioserie15.jpg

(Only overlapping corners or maybe top/bottom)

KarmaCow

Ended up going with this case mostly because it was cheap + free shipping and it comes with a screen protector. I realised it's a hard case after I ordered it but I'm only going to use it as a temp case until better cases start popping up. Hopefully the screen protector isn't complete garbage.

Kwhit10

Have any of you guys thought of getting ghost armor on the front screen and the back glass instead of a case to get that 'naked' feel? I don't have the N4 yet, but I think I'll do the ghost armor front and back. I've had it on my current Droid incredible for 2.5 years, on the screen, and it still is going strong.

I've been an iOS user since the 2G iPhone and made the switch from the iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4 two days ago and I don't think I can go back. Aside from not being able to transfer my music to my Nexus (still figuring that out) I'm loving everything about this phone and its OS.

Very very impressed.

Conan-san

I've been an iOS user since the 2G iPhone and made the switch from the iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4 two days ago and I don't think I can go back. Aside from not being able to transfer my music to my Nexus (still figuring that out) I'm loving everything about this phone and its OS.

Very very impressed.
If it's your bag, you could go though the Google Music route. Certainly what's pushing me from Touch 4 to Nexus 4 the moment they actually are available.

Has issues with some files, audio books being a big one, but works just fine for everything else music related.

I got some BS going on in my google play account.

It looks like I have two orders, one from november 28th for 2 16GB phones one from December 6th for 2 16GB phones, but i only ordered on november 28th. when i click the December 6th one, it takes me to the November 28th order status sheet.

Shit is annoying because I ordered these to be picked up by a guy in america and have him bring them back to china. I hope this shit goes through before he leaves the states.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Together with the phone, it feels chiseled and solid, which is the big difference in hand feel of the N4 compared to my previous GNex which was a super thin/light plastic thing I never bothered using a case for.

I have a bad camera and lighting but here are a couple

I bought some generic one for 5$ on ebay, and it is fantastic! Great rubbery feel, and really slim. Kind of looks like the one you have, but without the branding.

Not sure if it was talked about already, but has anyone received their promised shipping refund from Google? I believe they said it would take a week to process, but that was 2 weeks ago and I haven't seen anything yet.

EDIT:
I am an idiot and should have checked my bank before this post. Just received the refund today.

what refund?

Google+ post from Dan Cobley, Google UK

Dan Cobley 3 hours ago
Dear all

I know that what you are going through is unacceptable and we are all working through the nights and weekends to resolve this issue. Supplies from the manufacturer are scarce, and our communication has been flawed. I can offer an unreserved apology for our service and communication failures in this process. 

For those that originally received a 3-5 days shipping estimate, your orders are now in process for fulfillment. You can expect an email notification early this week which will include tracking information.  Although you will be initially charged in full, you will receive a credit for the shipping charge soon after. 
For others that received pre-Christmas shipping estimates, we anticipate processing your orders for fulfillment this week. 

I realise that the people who ordered the Nexus 4 so early are among our most committed and loyal users and we are doing all we can to put things right. 

Sorry again.

Dan

WoodWERD

Have any of you guys thought of getting ghost armor on the front screen and the back glass instead of a case to get that 'naked' feel? I don't have the N4 yet, but I think I'll do the ghost armor front and back. I've had it on my current Droid incredible for 2.5 years, on the screen, and it still is going strong.

I liked your suggestion until I saw the price; $25 seems a bit much for something like that. So some quick searching led me to find Steinheil at roughly half the price. Seems pretty well regarded so I just ordered a set.

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/google/nexus-4/google-nexus-4-screen-protector-steinheil-dual.html

I liked your suggestion until I saw the price; $25 seems a bit much for something like that. So some quick searching led me to find Steinheil at roughly half the price. Seems pretty well regarded so I just ordered a set.

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/google/nexus-4/google-nexus-4-screen-protector-steinheil-dual.html

That does look pretty good. Does that have a cutout for the proximity sensor? I've heard there are problems with screen protectors and the N4 if there is not a cutout for that sensor.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, looks like it does. That's very tempting. I especially like the dry application. Would go perfect with the bumper....

Kwhit10

Yea it's $25, when I got ghost armor, it was done at the mall at a kiosk where an associate puts it on for you and places the device in a warm air box to finish the seal. There is also a lifetime warranty, bring it back if for any reason, like if it isn't flush any more, and they will put another one on.

Anecdote, he actually messed up the first time he applied it and instead of reapplying it just threw it away and opened another one to get it right. And yes this also has the cut outs for the phones (not sure if they have Nexus 4 ones yet or not).

I've had mine on the screen for 2.5 years and have had flawless results. Let me know your opinions on the Spigen when you get it. I might check it out.

derder

OK, so I got the Nexus 4 with Bluetooth v4.0 and I'm having auto-connect troubles.

I can auto-connect to my portable Bluetooth speaker with V2.1
I cannot auto-connect to my 2012 Subaru Impreza with v3.0.

My Galaxy Nexus auto-connected without issue. I have to disable and re-enable bluetooth to connect to my car each time. Anyone have any ideas?
OK, so there has been a development. Late last week, the bluetooth would only connect after I turned it off and on a few times, and when it finally connected, it only connected the audio - not the phone portion of bluetooth control.

NOW - it doesn't even recognize my car. I have my old GNex that I'm going to attempt to sync and if it syncs and autoconnects, I'm going to box this up and demand a repair or refund.

Quixzlizx

Very very impressed.

I don't know your music situation, but you can use an app like File Expert to connect to computers on your network and simply copy music folders over. It's not like iOS where the file system is obscured and you have to do PC-phone transfers through iTunes.

derder

OK. My phone refuses to connect to my car, but my Gnex connects instantly. I'm debating whether or not I should return or replace my phone at this point.

reKon

Banned
1.35/384
intellidemand
snake charmer on
mpdecision off
-100mv
eco mode

auto-bightness
g+ instant upload + dropbox camera upload d
fb messenger, gtalk, skype

I don't like turning off features so my usage will always be moderate to heavy, including location services.

Even with the pesky msm wakelock, I'm still getting a full day's use out of it (7am-2/3am).

Were you browsing or texting a lot?

kagete

OK. My phone refuses to connect to my car, but my Gnex connects instantly. I'm debating whether or not I should return or replace my phone at this point.

I had to "forget" my old gnex on my car for my n4 to pair. I had reached the 3 phone limit that I didn't know my car had... God I change phones too often (g2, dell venue pro, gnex)

My phones shipped! I was 1-2 weeks after ordering on Dec 4th so I guess that Dan Cobley post is accurate.

Lots of UK folks over at xda who were 3-5 days or 1-2 weeks dispatch have been getting shipping emails this evening. Looks like there are lots going out tonight.

NOT ME THOUGH *shakes fist at Google*

abunai

Custom kernels man, custom kernels.

Not my pics, but I've flashed this kernel and am using the same settings as this guy (albeit tweaked slightly). I'll report on whether it's this good for me after a day or so.

Faux kernel 2b6, 1.35GHz/702MHz clock on Intellidemand governor. Snakecharmer enabled, MPDecision off. CPU Eco mode enabled; westwood TCP Congestion control, Vibration at 50%. Gmail/2x exchange accounts/fb/twitter/dropbox sync on. Location on (wifi/tower), GPS location off.

I added a -100mV undervolt, and everything is as buttery smooth as before. We'll see how long I last on these settings.

sca2511

While admiring the phone, I checked the back and I see multiple hairline scratches. Guess the back isn't Gorilla Glass. Can these be buffed out?

Top Bottom