• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Soodanim

What sort of problems have you been hearing? If anything, 4.3 fixed a lot of things and my battery life is better than ever.

IIRC what was mentioned was something to do with battery life being reduced, and problems with 4.3 bricking devices. Which sounds odd, seeing as it's an Google phone that runs stock Android straight from Google.

I think I'm going to have to dive into the world of 8GB Nexus 4. I am curious as to what will be in the Nexus, though 5. That said, I can't see it being in the price range that I'm interested in (~£150).

I see the Ringke Fusion is the fan favourite case, but what about screen protectors?

Is there anywhere cheaper than the Google Play Store to get the 8gb from?

IIRC what was mentioned was something to do with battery life being reduced, and problems with 4.3 bricking devices. Which sounds odd, seeing as it's an Google phone that runs stock Android straight from Google.

I think I'm going to have to dive into the world of 8GB Nexus 4. I am curious as to what will be in the Nexus, though 5. That said, I can't see it being in the price range that I'm interested in (~£150).

I see the Ringke Fusion is the fan favourite case, but what about screen protectors?

Is there anywhere cheaper than the Google Play Store to get the 8gb from?

the Blu Dash Jr. may be more your style.

Ever since i got the most recent official update for my Nexus 4 I have been having issues where it loses connection to google services. I will have full bars of signal (or be on wifi) but the signal indicator will be gray and I will not recieve any push notifications. The phone will just randomly (or I cannot tell what is causing it) lose this connection.

Its very annoying because its making me miss important emails, texts etc :(

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Mission

I ordered one. I've replaced the digitizer on my Evo 3D and its still giving me issues. I should still be able to sell that for $50 with the known issue (since I know it can sell almost immediately for $100 used) and one the new Nexus is finally in stock next spring I'll probably still be able to get $100-$150 for my Nexus 4.

Can you guys please link me to a page where I can order a cheap micro sim card for the Google Nexus 4? I want the $30 prepaid T-Mobile plan

I live in Texas btw

Anyone know what bloatware to wipe off this phone so I can maximize battery life?

Can you guys please link me to a page where I can order a cheap micro sim card for the Google Nexus 4? I want the $30 prepaid T-Mobile plan

I live in Texas btw

Anyone know what bloatware to wipe off this phone so I can maximize battery life?

it's a Nexus 4.

i mean, you can remove gmail and the play store and google play services and that should improve battery, but then you might as well get a flip phone...

flonty

This is the best smartphone that I have had so far. I'm currently on my iPhone 5 because a friend borroqed my N4 for a week and I miss it so much. iOS just fucking sucks.

linkboy

We're in the process of moving from Verizon to Straight Talk and I just purchased the 16GB N4.

Man, I can't wait to get this phone and give my 4S to my wife (I prefer Android, she prefers iOS).

flonty

We're in the process of moving from Verizon to Straight Talk and I just purchased the 16GB N4.

Man, I can't wait to get this phone and give my 4S to my wife (I prefer Android, she prefers iOS).

Congrats, you did the right thing. This phone is amazing.

linkboy

Congrats, you did the right thing. This phone is amazing.

I know, I'm looking forward to it. I'm done with CMDA and Verizon (I should be able to get my 4S unlocked and use it on any network I want, it's BS that Verizon won't).

It will be nice to have flexibility with phones again.

zedge

So I am using my Lumia 920 wireless charger with my N4 and I notice it does not charge the phone completely, maybe 90%. That normal?

Nicktendo86

So I am using my Lumia 920 wireless charger with my N4 and I notice it does not charge the phone completely, maybe 90%. That normal?
There is a bug with the n4 with wireless charging since 4.2.2 and still present on 4.3, its a wake lock bug. Been reported to Google by myself and many others, they say they are 'looking into it'. Very annoying. Some people with the new N7 day they also have the bug.

zedge

There is a bug with the n4 with wireless charging since 4.2.2 and still present on 4.3, its a wake lock bug. Been reported to Google by myself and many others, they say they are 'looking into it'. Very annoying. Some people with the new N7 day they also have the bug.

Ah, thanks for the info.

BlazinAm

Anyone flash CM 10.2 yet? How's it run?

I flashed to one of the more recent nighty updates, and so far it is fine so far. There was some issues with a prior update where some of Google services were not working and the Twitter app would crash upon launching. Although picture/camera apps like Instagram run even better than a few updates ago. There is a new camera app basically the same setting jut a different way of getting to them with new icons and all.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 Skyrocket, so it is kinda of an old phone but these CM updates keep it running well.

Anyone else updated Super SU to 1.55 and lost root?

I flashed it from recovery and updates the binaries, but after reboot I lost root and super su tells me there is no binary nor can it install them. :(

kvn

Did anybody in here also have the problem that the nexus suddenly dies in standby mode no matter how much the battery is charged? The problem ocurred more and more during the last month. No matter how much it was loaded, the pohne kept dying at random times.

Had to send in my device since this bug was so annoying and the phone was certainly not regularly usable in this form.

Ultimate crap was the fact that, first, Google wanted to send me a replacement immediately, but after telling them that the phone had been in repair once due to a broken screen, I had to contact LG. LG has the worst fucking service. It took two weeks to get a "go" to send it in, no replacement, and it has been one week since. Fuck me.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
We're you on 4.3 and used Netflix? When 4.3 was released any time you used Netflix and put the phone to standby it would randomly shutdown. Had it happen a few times but Netflix was patched.

kvn

We're you on 4.3 and used Netflix? When 4.3 was released any time you used Netflix and put the phone to standby it would randomly shutdown. Had it happen a few times but Netflix was patched.

Nope, I'm in Germany (yes 4.3, no Netflix) :/

Received a status update from the repair service. Apparently they replaced the battery.

I really wish I had known it was labor day weekend before ordering this phone Thursday night.

dY6cm7O.gif

linkboy

I really wish I had known it was labor day weekend before ordering this phone Thursday night.

Yea, mine hasn't shipped either.

The 8GB model is sold out and I'm hoping that my 16GB order goes through.

I need to ditch my iPhone, I've reached my limit with it.

Novocaine

I've been rocking one of these since release and I love it. Before getting it I had phone envy for every new model released but now I don't even care. Will probably upgrade to a N5 but until then this thing is beast.

Argyle

If it helps, I sprung for the express shipping, ordered Tuesday afternoon (first day of the price drop), had it delivered Thursday afternoon...which means they shipped it Tuesday night.

Dunno if they will ship that quickly with standard shipping but I was impressed...

I got the phone in earlier today, and I've been playing with it all day. I like the phone a lot more in person than I did looking at pictures of it. It's got a nice light feel, but it still feels pretty sturdy. One major critique I have, is it's a HUGE fingerprint magnet. Holy crap. Gonna grab a screen protector soon, but I'm gonna wait a few days. My case should be here tomorrow from Amazon.

Been fiddling with the phone this morning and I just have a few questions

Regarding radio flash: am I supposed to flash it after installing a rom or before?

And do I still need to flash an antenna since I heard something about CM 10.2 having LTE or something.

....yeah im pretty much lost when it comes to this stuff :/

IceCold

Just got the phone and I love it but I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to make the phone vibrate when receiving an email?

2) I'm having difficulties getting Bluetooth to work. Every time I try pairing it with my computer it fails.

I'm actually surprised at the battery life on the thing. Today was my first all day usage and it's at 20% right now and I haven't plugged it in since 7:30am.

Can anyone recommend a good screen protector. I'd want something matte to stop reflection and minimize fingerprints, but I don't mind getting a "regular" screen if it doesn't mess with the color/brightness of the display.

zedge

2) I'm having difficulties getting Bluetooth to work. Every time I try pairing it with my computer it fails.

1) Within gmail go into settings to change this.

2) Not sure. Works OK here.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

2) If it works with my PowerPC PowerMac G5 running 10.5.8 then it will work on whatever you have. If not use Airdroid from the Play Store.

Soodanim

I. Love. This. Phone. £150 for this? If the main brick and mortar places hadn't dropped this, it would have ruined everyone else's phone prices and sales.

I've ordered my Ringke Fusion, but I'm not sure about what screen protector to get. Any suggestions? There are some on Amazon that are priced quite high, others cheap as you like.

I need to look at other browsers for this thing, I can't seem to find the "Fuck off asking me about Chrome sync" button.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I just use the cheap eBay ones. It's like $3 for 6 lol. They work great. Only had to replace one as I scratched it to shit. They are also very easy to put on.

Top Bottom