• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Gaddang it. I'm starting to regret my purchase. Is their anyway I can do a factory reset without losing my texts, pics and what's app messages? Black screen locks, spontaneous key presses, random screen lock ups... Fuck this. Phone is barely a month old with no root

you can back up texts and images with various apps, dunno about whatsapp messages, probably requires helium or a root app.

Gaddang it. I'm starting to regret my purchase. Is their anyway I can do a factory reset without losing my texts, pics and what's app messages? Black screen locks, spontaneous key presses, random screen lock ups... Fuck this. Phone is barely a month old with no root
What's app convos can be emailed. Just email them to yourself. They're also backed up to the server automatically but not sure how well it works. For texts there are a number of backup apps on the store and pics are easy enough just use android file transfer from google if on Mac or just plug your phone into your PC if on windows.

Zomba13

So got an email saying mine has been delivered now. Should I go straight to 4.3 or wait? It'll be a brand new phone, not rooted or anything.

Nicktendo86

Officially part of the n4 club as of yesterday! Flawless so far, solo much better than my old galaxy nexus. Yes I know, n5 is around the corner but I couldn't wait any longer!!!
Edit: Zomba, I would go to 4.3. I did when mine arrived yesterday and it is working fine, no issues. I know it takes a few cycles for battery to get to normal not getting bad battery life so far, pretty heavy usage today and got 16% left, 12 hours on battery with 2.5 hours screen on time.

Zomba13

Officially part of the n4 club as of yesterday! Flawless so far, solo much better than my old galaxy nexus. Yes I know, n5 is around the corner but I couldn't wait any longer!!!
Edit: Zomba, I would go to 4.3. I did when mine arrived yesterday and it is working fine, no issues. I know it takes a few cycles for battery to get to normal not getting bad battery life so far, pretty heavy usage today and got 16% left, 12 hours on battery with 2.5 hours screen on time.

After spending most of the time home from work setting up my old phone for my mum I did update to 4.3. Only fidled around for a bit with it so far (like an hours worth) and not finding any problems.
I feel the same with the whole N5 thing. Yeah, it'll be revealsed and released soon but my old phone was so much worse than this, I needed and upgrade, and I can wait a while on this one and maybe get the next next nexus if I feel I need another upgrade by then.
I'm usually really good with keeping phones but this was the fastest I've ever upgraded (year and a half from Huawei Ascend G300 to this).

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
After a few months with the latest N4 revision and I can safely say that all the hardware issues from my precious non nipple ones are gone. These things are flawless now. I'll wait for the N6 revision before I upgrade my N4. Don't really need a N5 as this thing is plenty for what I need.

Hopefully the Netflix and 4.3 bug gets sorted out sooner than later though.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Got my mail non-vibrate working thanks all.

Another question.

Playing around with voice commands and having fun with them. Google says I can say "Scan a barcode" and it will use the camera. When I say that phrase, it just searches Google for "scan a barcode"

Does this function work for any of you?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Awww... that would have been awesome.

I love the command "what song is this?" though to id songs without an app..hehe.

Ah well, can't have it all.

Flynn77

Well, went ahead and pulled the trigger after my nexus s finally left the land of the living. Pretty impressed all round so far(I guess I could be getting a boost from the fact I've pretty much skipped nearly 2 phone gens) Service was great also, ordered from google at about 4pm Friday, 7.50 am the next morning it turned up! (Guess there is something to be said about late adoption!)

Nicktendo86

So, how is battery life for everyone? I got my N4 on Monday and find that with pretty heavy usage (about 2.5 hours of screen on time) I get about 12-13 hours. I am trying not to charge it in work during the day and find it lasts until about 11 at night which is ok, problem is I use my phone as my web browser in the evening so if I had a tablet that battery life would be very livable.

Milpool

Got my mail non-vibrate working thanks all.

Another question.

Playing around with voice commands and having fun with them. Google says I can say "Scan a barcode" and it will use the camera. When I say that phrase, it just searches Google for "scan a barcode"

Does this function work for any of you?

"Scan a barcode" was removed a few months ago, I have no idea why. But I'm pretty annoyed since I used it often. There's a few topics about it on google groups but I can't find any reason why it's been disabled/removed.

Nicktendo86

So guys, got the wireless orb today. Bit of a rarity in the UK so I feel extra special. Great little thing and perfect on my bed side table, I use my phone as an alarm clock so the angle is sublime.

Protome

Whelp, just smashed my Nexus 4 screen. Short drop onto a table did the deed. Time to find out how much the damage will cost me...

leadbelly

Banned
After a few months with the latest N4 revision and I can safely say that all the hardware issues from my precious non nipple ones are gone. These things are flawless now. I'll wait for the N6 revision before I upgrade my N4. Don't really need a N5 as this thing is plenty for what I need.

Hopefully the Netflix and 4.3 bug gets sorted out sooner than later though.

What were your issues?

I've had my phone since March and haven't had a single issue with it so far. It is one of the non-nipple ones.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
3 loose USB ports
7 squeaking buttons
4,5 glass lift, creaking
2 dead screens
1 that wouldn't load past the X logo

There were 9 or 10 in total. Can't really remember after so many.

I want to do a factory reset on my n4 as I've heard many people experiencing better battery life afterwards. What's the best way to backup EVERYTHING on my phone and restore it back to just how it was before the reset? I have titanium backup pro. Are there any tutorials? Thanks in advance.

Groof

Even after that factory reset battery life has been really poor for me since 4.3. After the reset it's been deep sleeping a lot better, but when in actual use it just blasts through the battery. I'm suspecting Tasker a bit, could that be causing some of it? I have it set to turn on and off password lock when on my home Wifi and off it.

osknoes

Does anybody have any experience with the nillkin flip cover case. It's my type of cover, but couldn't find many reviews... The ringke case seems pretty good, but it doesn't cover the screen and I'm pretty sure I need to protect it somehow.

Nicktendo86

Even after that factory reset battery life has been really poor for me since 4.3. After the reset it's been deep sleeping a lot better, but when in actual use it just blasts through the battery. I'm suspecting Tasker a bit, could that be causing some of it? I have it set to turn on and off password lock when on my home Wifi and off it.

Had a good day yesterday, battery lasted 11 hours with 4 huors screen on time which isn't too bad. Battery seems to be buring up fast today though, I think it might be due to wifi being on so the phone is looking for a signal but I am in work. Turned wifi off and it seems to be settling down but still going faster than I would like.

Groof

Had a good day yesterday, battery lasted 11 hours with 4 huors screen on time which isn't too bad. Battery seems to be buring up fast today though, I think it might be due to wifi being on so the phone is looking for a signal but I am in work. Turned wifi off and it seems to be settling down but still going faster than I would like.
Think the new location WiFi always on setting can cause some extra battery drain? Even though it's supposed to help save some...

Nicktendo86

Think the new location WiFi always on setting can cause some extra battery drain? Even though it's supposed to help save some...
Yep, read that location services since 4.3 drain a lot, turned location services off and going to see how I do. Android os has already gone from using 22% to 17% in an hour, might be some truth to that.

Groof

Yep, read that location services since 4.3 drain a lot, turned location services off and going to see how I do. Android os has already gone from using 22% to 17% in an hour, might be some truth to that.

I'll try and do the same. But doesn't that fuck with Maps and GPS and stuff though?

Finally got my phone back from reperation. I've been without a smartphone for a month and it's so good to have it back. Now to ensure that it never breaks again!

Anyone that can reccomend some covers ?

Nicktendo86

I'll try and do the same. But doesn't that fuck with Maps and GPS and stuff though?
It does indeed :( also affects Google now, you can turn it back on when needed though. A lot of people seem to be moaning about this so I hope Google fix soon, I installed a wake lock detect app and confirms location access is causing the majority of wake locks for me.

Groof

Finally got my phone back from reperation. I've been without a smartphone for a month and it's so good to have it back. Now to ensure that it never breaks again!

Anyone that can reccomend some covers ?
I use (from time to time) a Ringke slim and love it. It's not super bulky and obtrusive, but it adds enough protection from most falls.
It does indeed :( also affects Google now, you can turn it back on when needed though. A lot of people seem to be moaning about this so I hope Google fix soon, I installed a wake lock detect app and confirms location access is causing the majority of wake locks for me.
Which app is that then? I usually use BetterBatterStats, but even that can be pretty vague at times.

Nicktendo86

Some people are saying they have wake sleep issues after using a wireless charger and I must say I have been having strange issues since getting my wireless orb, after taking it off charge my phone doesn't go into deep sleep. Google this is getting ridiculous.

Using a separate launcher doesn't give me the option to make a short cut for app permissions. Is my only choice to that paid app on the market right now?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone flash CM 10.2 yet? How's it run?

Top Bottom