• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Nicktendo86

I've been watching 5 hours of Netflix on WiFi and still have 18% left. Not bad.
Battery life is very acceptable on this phone. Been 12 hours on battery with 2 hours screen on time, played an hour of temple run and streamed over Google play music. Still got 30% left. I hope they don't fuck it up with key lime pie.

Groof

I got 9.5h today before I had less than 15% with 2h screen on time today. After I got that battery wakelock app I've been suspecting all the IM apps more and more... and I can't get rid of them :(

Nicktendo86

I got 9.5h today before I had less than 15% with 2h screen on time today. After I got that battery wakelock app I've been suspecting all the IM apps more and more... and I can't get rid of them :(

I did a factory restore and just installed apps I 100% trust, seems to be going well so far fingers crossed!

Groof

I did a factory restore and just installed apps I 100% trust, seems to be going well so far fingers crossed!

Yeah that's basically what I did last week. I only have apps that really need (except now that I've customised my homescreen to all hell and back), but having 5 different IM apps can do this to you I guess.

All of a sudden my N4 disappeared from the Web Playstore.

I know this happens when you clear the services framework, but I never did that. Tried cleaning the Playstore and even removed and added again my Google Account.

Does it take a while to reappear?

EDIT: Solved with a factory reset.

Groof

My battery woes seem to have come to an end. After breaking my face about why the fuck my battery kept draining so quickly, fighting with apps about nonsense, I decided to just let my battery die out instead of plug it in at 2-3% as I usually do.
It's been two days since, and it's like a completely different phone. By god this thing seems to last for forever now.

leadbelly

Banned
My battery life has never been that bad really. It certainly could be better, but not nearly as bad as some people have reported.

There are various ways to improve your battery life anyway. Obviously messing with various settings may increase battery life, but there are other ways as well. Rooting your phone and flashing a custom kernal and rom can increase battery life quite significantly. A custom kernal even allows you to downclock the CPU and GPU to whatever setting you want. The app for Franco kernal also allows you to set a different speed for specific apps. So lets say you want to use the CPU at full power when playing games, you can just set that in the app.

You can even get an extended battery case for the nexus 4. It looks fucking ridiculous though I think. I suppose it could come in useful though.
http://www.mugen-power-batteries.co...-power-4500mah-power-case-for-lg-nexus-4.html

I've also found out that it is actually fairly easy to replace the battery in a nexus 4, despite the fact the back cover is not meant to be removed. It is also possible to buy a replacement battery.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
My battery woes seem to have come to an end. After breaking my face about why the fuck my battery kept draining so quickly, fighting with apps about nonsense, I decided to just let my battery die out instead of plug it in at 2-3% as I usually do.
It's been two days since, and it's like a completely different phone. By god this thing seems to last for forever now.

Try charging over USB. It takes longer but I feel like I get an additional 20-30 minutes of use doing so.

I usually charge my battery at 1% and let it completely die once a week and have zero complaints about battery life.

Groof

Try charging over USB. It takes longer but I feel like I get an additional 20-30 minutes of use doing so.

I usually charge my battery at 1% and let it completely die once a week and have zero complaints about battery life.
I would do this, but I'd rather not keep my computer on over night, as I usually charge my phone while I sleep. Might start charging it earlier and keep it off charger overnight then.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I knew I wasn't crazy. Ever since 4.3 I've noticed that the touch input sensitivity feels more sensitive. Before it was .41 and now I've regularly manage .32.

Good job Google.

zedge

So I kinda picked up an N4 on a whim.. erm

Best Buy mobile sold me a Koodo version $299 outright16gb. Quite a bit less than from google play. I tried before but no one would sell without taking an agreement.

As my first time actually holding this phone without the anti theft crap attached to it, I freaking love it. No way am i putting some shitty fucking plastic case on this thing. Yes I know its glass and it can break, but its way too nice. Phone is fast and fluid and really nice to use.

Second day of use, not very heavy today though but I currently have 66% battery left on 10 hrs 54 min. 48 min screen time. Thats stock out of the box, no modifications. Not bad at all.

Had mine in a case for months now and every time I pop it out to clear the dust and crap out I don't want to put it back in.

So smooth and sleek in the hand but the phones already taken dozens of knocks to the back in my pocket, I just know it'd get shattered.

zedge

Are there issues with Skype and the n4? Using my s3 with buddies playing Lou I had no issues, clear calls etc. With the n4 they are complaining about clicking noise and it keeps dropping connection.

Did anyone receive a minor update recently? I got one last night, 1.8mb, but not sure what it fixed/changed.

The update is minor and will upgrade your build number from JWR66V to JWR66Y. The 2MB update doesn't really add any new features but is more of a security update.

Funny thing, my build version still says JWR66V after the update :(

Hieberrr

I just got my replacement Nexus 4 and can't seem to be able to pull in the 4.3 OTA update via wifi :( GNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
LLShC.gif

exYle

So this phone for sure does not need a front screen protector, right? I have one right now and it's starting to bug me.

zedge

I havent put one on yet. Still have the plastic out of the box on the back. Front is bare. Thinking of just getting ghost armor put on or something, but just the back.

My Nexus 4 bricked with the latest update, reseted it to factory settings, didn't work. Flashed 4.2.2 and now it doesn't work as a cellphone, IMEI is missing it seems. :(

Any change I can get a replacement? I'm still under warranty but couldn't find how to make it valid.

At £159/£199 the Nexus 4 might just be the greatest phone ever released. (Especially since the predictive dialpad update update in 4.3) Staggering value for money.

I feel I should buy another on principle, especially given its competitors at £159 are probably a Galaxy Ace or Xperia E.

TheFatOne

Anyone else having issues with wifi after upgrading to 4.3? My wifi went to shit after updating the phone to 4.3, and now I'm going to go back to 4.2.2

kharma45

At £159/£199 the Nexus 4 might just be the greatest phone ever released. (Especially since the predictive dialpad update update in 4.3) Staggering value for money.

I feel I should buy another on principle, especially given its competitors at £159 are probably a Galaxy Ace or Xperia E.

It is pretty fantastic yeah, best value mid-range phone going atm. Overall though I think the Lumia 520 does shade it in best VFM at £80.

BlueMagic

If anyone is looking to sell a Nexus 4 in good condition, I'm wanting to buy one (to be shipped to Argentina). I really, really, want one, but Google Play Store isn't available here.

NaviLink

So, finally ordered one after months of hesitation. I'm now looking for something to protect the phone. I was set on the Ringke Fusion, but apparently reviews about it are mixed. Any other similar options (see-through back and rigid)?

Soodanim

I'm very tempted by the £159 8gb. I'm not too fussed about the extra 8gb, as £40 is too much for that amount of memory. I've managed to cope just fine with my current phone (Acer Liquid Metal) and an 8gb card (mostly filled by music - I'll probably only need a couple hundred meg for apps), so the non-upgradable memory will not be much of a problem at all.

Are the claims of problems with 4.3 unfounded/fixed?

Groof

I'm very tempted by the £159 8gb. I'm not too fussed about the extra 8gb, as £40 is too much for that amount of memory. I've managed to cope just fine with my current phone (Acer Liquid Metal) and an 8gb card (mostly filled by music - I'll probably only need a couple hundred meg for apps), so the non-upgradable memory will not be much of a problem at all.

What sort of problems have you been hearing? If anything, 4.3 fixed a lot of things and my battery life is better than ever.

ajpw

it will be quite the upgrade from your acer t1000

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So, finally ordered one after months of hesitation. I'm now looking for something to protect the phone. I was set on the Ringke Fusion, but apparently reviews about it are mixed. Any other similar options (see-through back and rigid)?

The squishy or rock solid button cut outs on the Ringke Fusion case are shitty but the protection the case provides is second to none in my opinion. It looks great too btw.

exYle

I have a Fusion and I have no issue with it.

Top Bottom