• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

kharma45

Phones4u had £460 (I think) for unlocked quoted in store with their display unit.

Providing Neowin is right

Will it be possible to buy a Lumia 920 off-contract?
Yes. Phones4U will sell the device without a SIM card for those who don’t require a contract. However, Phones4U will be selling what’s been described to us “an EE variant of the Lumia 920” that will only work with Orange, T-Mobile and EE SIM cards. As previously reported, this off-contract 920 will be sold by Phones4U for £459.95.

Only the 820 comes properly SIM free.

freshair

In for 1.

In spite of LG's history with hardware, there seems to be a majority opinion that this is a solidly put together phone.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Come on guys. Did the "Y U NO" shtick not give it away?

smh

Alrite, sorry. But it's sort of stupid to post inflammatory crap like that in this kind of thread that was close enough in tone to might as well have come out of the mouths of some of the fanboys around here.

Anyways, back on topic.

What happened to that rumour of a white version? The one that showed up on some store's inventory?

JordanKZ

is battery replaceable? That is the only negative I suppose.

It shouldn't be too hard. It has screws on the bottom of the device and apparently there's just a non-soldered wire connecting the battery to the mainboard.

Or at least that's the impression I got from that one teardown of the early hardware.

Cipherr

No LTE in 2012 gets you docked in reviews gentlemen. Plenty of people can live without it, but thats unimportant. It should have been an option for those who wanted it.

It messes up the "Nexus" part of the phone since carriers can fuck with the updates, but oh well, if folks are ok with that, give them a version with LTE. Same with MicroSD storage. Google can miss me with the excuses.

Mr Swine

Banned
Looks so good, but why the heck does it cost like 150€ more in Sweden then the rest of the world? This sucks, was hoping to upgrade from my soon 2 year old LG Optimus One to the Nexus 4 :(

Bruiserk

Honestly, how can the battery be so mediocre compared to other phones with the same battery? Beta software? Or is it because of the quad-core processor?

I feel like it is better than initial tests.

kharma45

That's fucked up yo
Guess that settles it.

Yep it's pretty fucking shit, I can't see the Lumia 920 selling well at all over here due to the pricing of it on EE/Orange/T-Mob, they're asking iPhone money for it and whilst it's looking like it will be a great device it doesn't have an Apple logo so can't justify those crazy tariffs.

I can see sales of the 920 here being very slim compared to the HTC 8X, Nokia has made an absolutely crazy decision with this exclusivity deal and even if it does come to other networks some time in 2013 it's going to be too late for it.

Of course you could get the 920 unlocked possibly if you bought it from P4U but time will tell on that front.

Joshua Topolsky only gives the Nexus 4 a 7.9. Surprise, sur-fucking-prise.

That douche is single handedly turning The Verge from a reputable tech to a cringeworthy blind Apple worshipping circle jerk site mascerading as a tech news site.

Y U NO LIKE ANDROID, JOSHUA? NOT ENOUGH LINEN FOR YOU?

He gave it a 8.3 but still i agree with you that the dumbass is a blinded sheep. How the fuck you give the iphone 5 a 8.8? which brings almost nothing new to the table and this phone with some real innovation such as wireless charging, photosphere and etc to the table and not to mention half the fuckking price of the iphone 5 and it has an 8.3 compare to the POS iphone 5 with its map problem so big that the CEO of apple has to apologise publicly and 2 top executives got fired because of it but no this dumbass love apple so much that he overlooks every faults there is from apple's products and always give it a high score.

JordanKZ

Honestly, how can the battery be so mediocre compared to other phones with the same battery? Beta software? Or is it because of the quad-core processor?

Some reviews have been extremely positive, others haven't... If it's better than the 2-ish hours I get from my Galaxy Nexus, I'll be happy.

jts

...hate me...

That douche is single handedly turning The Verge from a reputable tech to a cringeworthy blind Apple worshipping circle jerk site mascerading as a tech news site.

He was the guy responsible for the website's quality in the first place. It was created 1 year ago and still has the same staff, writing the same things.

He's an Android user. Not iPhone.

How the fuck you manage to do that shit you do all the time. It's embarrassing.

JayDub

Well my wife said that I can get this if she takes my iPhone 5. FUCK YES. The fact that its not Samsung is all the better.

Anyone have any experience with T-mobile's data speeds? I know its not "true" LTE, but are the speeds comparable?

Is it common for multiple sites to have such a discrepancy in the tests?
meh, I'd say it's a combination of unoptimized software and reviewers using different settings.

Different brightness levels, pulling different amounts of data from whatever app like gmail or whatever, different definitions of "day to day use".

Well my wife said that I can get this if she takes my iPhone 5. FUCK YES.

Anyone have any experience with T-mobile's data speeds? I know its not "true" LTE, but are the speeds comparable?
hspa+ will never be comparable to LTE, but it's not as bad as 3G. It's very usable.

JordanKZ

Is it common for multiple sites to have such a discrepancy in the tests?

Yes and no. It depends on so many factors and really, without a week or so of use you can never be sure of how good a battery is going to be. Most batteries take a solid week of charge cycles to 'settle in' anyway, at least in my experience.

Hoo-doo

Banned
He gave it a 8.3 but still i agree with you that the dumbass is a blinded sheep. How the fuck you give the iphone 5 a 8.8? which brings almost nothing new to the table and this phone with some real innovation such as wireless charging, photosphere and etc to the table and not to mention half the fuckking price of the iphone 5 and it has an 8.3 compare to the POS iphone 5 with its map problem so big that the CEO of apple has to apologise publicly and 2 top executives got fired because of it but no this dumbass love apple so much that he overlooks every faults there is from apple's products and always give it a high score.

Am I witnessing the birth of a new joke poster or just a soon to be greyed-out username?

I can't decide.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah, Josh clearly loves the Nexus series but he's the kind of person that can't live without LTE.

I don't even have 3G here, nevermind 4G. So I'll be upgrading from my GNex to this. Looking forward to the 13th.

Same for me. In my town i can get only wap/gprs, and 3G only if the day is exceptionally sunny and I'm staying in the eyesight of the cell tower. :)

The only problem is... the closest country with Play Store that sells unlocked N4 is very very far away.

I know I can probably look it up online, but, how much faster than 3G? All the 4G commercials t-mobile is doing makes it seem so much faster.
depends where you live

most LTE devices I've tried get 15 give or take to 25 give or take down, with a ton of upload.

HSPA+ 42 will probably get you 8-12 consistently (wuth the chance for more). Big upgrade from 3G. Still no LTE.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Stop adding to the bad reputation of junior members

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Living in Canada is maybe different but those LTE speeds look like garbage compared to here.

Yeah my girlfriend gets really good speeds on her S3 with rogers. I was more of referring to the fact that LTE is only used by like 3% of people right now and projected to be used by 15% in 2017. It's an issue that it's missing on this phone, but it's a bit blown out of proportion the way it's been harped on by some people so far considering how few people will actually use LTE with it. On the other hand, the nexii attract a techie crowd and maybe they're more likely to use LTE? I dunno.

markot

Banned
No LTE in 2012 gets you docked in reviews gentlemen. Plenty of people can live without it, but thats unimportant. It should have been an option for those who wanted it.

It messes up the "Nexus" part of the phone since carriers can fuck with the updates, but oh well, if folks are ok with that, give them a version with LTE. Same with MicroSD storage. Google can miss me with the excuses.
Right, so why dont all phones get docked for no microsd slot? Windows? Iphones? they can all have them.

Polari

The performance benchmarks are a little concerning, especially when you consider them compared to the Optimus G. Regressions between Android 4.0 and 4.2? Or is it just that the software is yet to be fully optimized for the 4?

f0rk

Right, so why dont all phones get docked for no microsd slot? Windows? Iphones? they can all have them.

These phone score arguments are dumb when they are all so close, but I think the lack of a microsd slot is a lot more forgivable when you can get the phone with more than 16gb of memory.

Bruiserk

Anyone know when Google Play Music is coming to Canada?

Just use an IPblocker like unblock-us or hotspot shield. I used unblock-us. I guess you have to install the google music app manually through a root for the phone but the former instructions will allow you to upload the music.

kharma45

The performance benchmarks are a little concerning, especially when you consider them compared to the Optimus G. Regressions between Android 4.0 and 4.2? Or is it just that the software is yet to be fully optimized for the 4?

I presume the latter.

These phone score arguments are dumb when they are all so close, but I think the lack of a microsd slot is a lot more forgivable when you can get the phone with more than 16gb of memory.

As I feel the lack of lte/sd is much more forgiveable when the phone is more than half the price of a competitor's phone. I'm sure the Nexus 4 could have both easily if they were to add $300 to the price tag.

It is pretty odd seeing the performance and battery differences between the N4 and Optimus G. If it's a software issue, though, I'd think Cyanogenmod (et al.) will be on top of it.

For the over 90 million souls who are bound by fate to Verizon Wireless, of which 75% are living in an area covered by Verizon 4G LTE which is the fastest cellular network in the world, might I suggest a Samsung Galaxy S III or Galaxy Note II. Those of you who are on Sprint may also choose these fine devices though you will not have Verizon 4G LTE which covers over 400 US markets and 75% of the US population.

Verizon

Cipherr

Who is to say that they dont? I dont recall the iPhone4S or iPhone5 scoring a 10 on the Verge. People are looking for bias where there isn't any.

ShowDog

I'm unloading my HTC One X for this. Fuck HTC Sense, and long live Google's basement prices. Shouldn't lose more than $50 for the switch after resale.

Top Bottom