• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Cipherr

As somebody who didn't follow it, what were the issues with the Nexus 7 launch?

I think a lot of the issues that stemmed from the Nex7 Launch may have been them having more volume in terms of orders than they expected. It was a bit of a carnival of stupid.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Android wasn't even on my radar this year, but that price is incredible. I want the Lumia 920, but damn, this will be like $300 LESS than the off-contract price of the 920. Unbelievable. Have no idea how Google can pull this off.

tigerin

Android wasn't even on my radar this year, but that price is incredible. I want the Lumia 920, but damn, this will be like $300 LESS than the off-contract price of the 920. Unbelievable. Have no idea how Google can pull this off.

i know, right? google really set a bar this time.

Cipherr

I think I would pass out if you didn't buy the 920 dude. Haven't you been waiting on it forever?

LOL it boggles the mind how poorly informed even your average GAFer can be. Oh well, makes life relatively simple for those who choose to think.

I have to admit, I do feel some of these sites are Apple jaded. LTE or not, fact of the matter is it costs half as much as the phones its being compared to. That's embarrassing. Either knock all the other phones down or bump up the N4 for what is a HUGE milestone in the mobile industry and market pricing. Add to that I like how now suddenly LTE is a must, though with the 4S the omission was perfectly acceptable and no cause for lesser opinion or scoring. "Even the iphone" comment cracked me up on The Verge. Ironic really.

The 4S was a year ago. Omission of LTE in 2012 is big damn deal.

Omission of LTE is definitely a big deal. I also don't buy the whole premise google is selling. Fact is, they gave up. They should have threatened to cut off android or something or done anything they could to strong arm carriers. Or figure out a way to offer both or something. But they took the easy way out by just not offering LTE for anyone. I don't look at it as righteous. Just sad. I'll get it this time but if no LTE again next year. Goodbye :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think I would pass out if you didn't buy the 920 dude. Haven't you been waiting on it forever?

Well, since it was announced, yeah. The rumor right now is $650 off contract. I'm not poor or anything, but that is a substantial difference.

markot

Banned
Omission of LTE is definitely a big deal. I also don't buy the whole premise google is selling. Fact is, they gave up. They should have threatened to cut off android or something or done anything they could to strong arm carriers. Or figure out a way to offer both or something. But they took the easy way out by just not offering LTE for anyone. I don't look at it as righteous. Just sad. I'll get it this time but if no LTE again next year. Goodbye :(

Except they were trying to keep costs down, and 99.99% of markets dont have LTE.

Also, they dont have the clout with carriers that Apple does.

Well, since it was announced, yeah. The rumor right now is $650 off contract. I'm not poor or anything, but that is a substantial difference.
just get the nex4 then get the surface phone when it's out eventually :p

Except they were trying to keep costs down, and 99.99% of markets dont have LTE.

Also, they dont have the clout with carriers that Apple does.
sorry I don't buy any of it. Their job is to get it done. FOR US. They didn't get it done. Don't let the carriers make you their beeeyitch. They gave up and tried to make it look like they did the world a favour. You can believe that, I just don't.

nib95

Banned

sorry I don't buy any of it. Their job is to get it done. FOR US. They didn't get it done. Don't let the carriers make you their beeeyitch. They gave up and tried to make it look like they did the world a favour. You can believe that, I just don't.

It's obviously one of the key reasons why they were able to keep costs down. Doesn't take a genius..

Verizon and other carriers that decided that they could handle updates was actively ruining the Nexus brand. I'm glad Google told them to fuck off. When I got my GNex from Bell it was running 4.0 on Bell's custom firmware. Disgusting. I flashed takju onto that bitch for sweet Jellybean goodness. Your average consumer doesn't know how to flash anything though and they would be left hanging, and the Nexus brand would be tarnished.

It's obviously one of the key reasons why they were able to keep costs down. Doesn't take a genius..
It's their fault there is no LTE though. That's the bottom line. If they could put LTE in it you guys honestly think they wouldn't to keep costs down?

Please.

Verizon and other carriers that decided that they could handle updates was actively ruining the Nexus brand. I'm glad Google told them to fuck off. When I got my GNex from Bell it was running 4.0 on Bell's custom firmware. Disgusting. I flashed takju onto that baby for sweer Jellybean goodness. Your average consumer doesn't know how to flash anything though and they would be left hanging.
I agree but it was google who cave carriers the power to begin with. And it's biting now for android purists.

Jeff-DSA

I have T-Mobile and where I live there's not a great LTE coverage map from anybody anyway. It's going to be a year or two before it's worthwhile to have an LTE-enabled phone. So yes, this price and spec sheet for the cost are a HUGE win for someone like me...which goes for the other 2 million people around me.

I have T-Mobile and where I live there's not a great LTE coverage map from anybody anyway. It's going to be a year or two before it's worthwhile to have an LTE-enabled phone. So yes, this price and spec sheet for the cost are a HUGE win for someone like me...which goes for the other 2 million people around me.
LTE is everywhere here.

markot

Banned
Too keep costs down they want to manufacture 1 device. This can work world wide, they can sell the same thing all over with just a change in charger cord, lte thrown in? Carriers? It just ends up snowballing costs.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's their fault there is no LTE though. That's the bottom line. If they could put LTE in it you guys honestly think they wouldn't to keep costs down?

Please.

I agree but it was google who cave carriers the power to begin with. And it's biting now for android purists.
Well the LTE chip itself is 100-200 dollars. It would most certainly have driven costs up.

Well the LTE chip itself is 100-200 dollars. It would most certainly have driven costs up.
No one is denying that. I'm saying if they could put out an LTE version. They would have. They couldn't, it's pretty much their fault, it suxxx.

Yeah, there. The majority of people still don't have that luxury. If it's a deal-breaker, get an LTE phone. For most people, it's a non-issue because LTE coverage is weak as a whole right now. It's also still a big battery hog.
Battery hog thing is debatable these days. Iphone 5 can do it without the battery hit. And that battery is tiny as fuggg.

As for coverage. Like I said. Figure it out. More than one model. Do what you gotta do to offer it. At the end of 2012 when LTE is pretty much a standard on pretty much all phones coming out. It's definitely a BIG omission regardless of any anecdotal reason why it wouldn't be.

zoku88

If I have an iPhone on AT&T can I just put the SIM in this and buy it unlocked?

So, I was listening to a Verge Mobile podcast a week or so ago, and apparently, AT&T is pretty dumb about this. Not sure if this is true.

Apparently, they separate iphone plans and everything else. So, if you stick a SIM from an iPhone and put it in an Android phone, it won't actually work untli you call AT&T or something.

That seems too strange to be true to me, but that's pretty much what they said :-/

Cipherr

Maybe years in the future when you can have a LTE phone that supports all the GSM bands and LTE bands for most of the carriers simultaneously... But until then I dont see it happening. That update issue with Verizon was fucking embarrassing for them. People with 'nexus' phones waiting fucking MONTHS for updates.

At that point, why not just buy a Galaxy or a OneX? The Nexus phones aren't generally exactly class leading hardware. Mediocre cameras, no MicroSD and whatnot. That Verizon update problem with that GNex needs to be the last time that shit happens, or the Nexus as a brand is a joke. If people don't want to buy it with no LTE, then so be it, but at least there will still officially exist a phone with day 1 updates.

Carriers are definitely the devil. But that's not a surprise. Google knew that when they decided to get into bed with them. And now it's biting those who like android most (to only prefer stock android and nothing else) in the asssssssss.

The most we can hope is that this nexus phone somehow blows up and becomes super popular. I'll do my part :p

methane47

HEyyy aren't you the guy that was crazy about HD-DVD??

I know you like to go against the grain and alll.. but.. Learn from past experiences man... Time to come to android

Divvy

No one is denying that. I'm saying if they could put out an LTE version. They would have. They couldn't, it's pretty much their fault, it suxxx.

Well, it's half their fault. It's half the carrier's fault. We have precendence for what happens to a nexus device on a carrier. It wasn't pretty and there was much whining. It sucks that Google couldn't strike a better deal, but it also sucks that the carriers are so shitty. It's fair to feel upset at Google for this, but if I was going to blame anyone, it'd probably be the entities that loves to systematically screw over consumers.

tigerin

pretty sure lte will be release for nexus 4 down the line. if this sells good enough and more people demand it then i can see google will proably sells the lte one through contract.

Emitan

So, I was listening to a Verge Mobile podcast a week or so ago, and apparently, AT&T is pretty dumb about this. Not sure if this is true.

Apparently, they separate iphone plans and everything else. So, if you stick a SIM from an iPhone and put it in an Android phone, it won't actually work untli you call AT&T or something.

That seems too strange to be true to me, but that's pretty much what they said :-/

That sucks. Hope I won't lose unlimited data if I do this.

Well, it's half their fault. It's half the carrier's fault. We have precendence for what happens to a nexus device on a carrier. There was much whining. It sucks that Google couldn't strike a better deal, but it also sucks that the carriers are so shitty. It's fair to feel upset at Google for this, but if you're going to blame anyone, it's probably the entities that loves to systematically screw over consumers.
I blame carriers for everything in life. But the fact is still google allowed the carrier to be their pimp in the android early days. And I'm sure google tried to put LTE on the Nex4 and I'm sure they pimp slapped google.

nib95

Banned
Carriers are definitely the devil. But that's not a surprise. Google knew that when they decided to get into bed with them. And now it's biting those who like android most (to only prefer stock android and nothing else) in the asssssssss.

The most we can hope is that this nexus phone somehow blows up and becomes super popular. I'll do my part :p

Lol, Google knows what they're doing. If they do what you're asking for they're just another fish in the sea. What they've done with the Nexus 4 is much, much more bold, and should increase Nexus global coverage several fold. Guarantee tonnes of people will buy this that would otherwise never have had the option to own a super phone. Globally speaking, not just America.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HEyyy aren't you the guy that was crazy about HD-DVD??

I know you like to go against the grain and alll.. but.. Learn from past experiences man... Time to come to android

I was on Android....maybe before you were? Either way its a silly comparison.

Lol, Google knows what they're doing. If they do what you're asking for they're just another fish in the sea. What they've done with the Nexus 4 is much, much more bold, and should increase Nexus global coverage several fold. Guarantee tonnes of people will buy this that would otherwise never have had the option to own a super phone. Globally speaking, not just America.
"what they're doing" is taking a righteous stance against the people they gave the power to to begin with.

zoku88

That sucks. Hope I won't lose unlimited data if I do this.

I could be wrong. What I said could theoretically only apply to AT&T branded Android phones (thus, AT&T could identify their IMEI and match those to the model.)

I have no clue. I have tmo.

Divvy

I blame carriers for everything in life. But the fact is still google allowed the carrier to be their pimp in the android early days. And I'm sure google tried to put LTE on the Nex4 and I'm sure they pimp slapped google.

The carriers probably couldn't care less about a nexus on their network when they have Samsung and Apple stuff. The Nexii were never great sellers so I guess they have no motivation to cave into Google's demands. Sort of an ironic situation that the Galaxy phones would screw over the nexus phones like that.

The carriers probably couldn't care less about a nexus on their network when they have Samsung and Apple stuff. The Nexii were never great sellers so I guess they have no motivation to cave into Google's demands. Sort of an ironic situation that the Galaxy phones would screw over the nexus phones like that.
Indeed. That's why I say it's googles fault. They let carriers in on the android party. Then they let everyone else in on the party. And now everyone is partying except google lol.

Apple strong armed the carriers from the very beginning. Google sold their soul and have been outcasted for it. Samsung sold their soul but they don't care because they're happy selling shittons of hardware with verizon logos on their home buttons. They don't have to worry about OS as much.

sarcastor

why don't you guys just buy the Nexus 4, use 3G with Tmobile for $30/month, wait a year or so for the Nexus 5 with LTE and buy it with the $500 you just saved?

zoku88

Apple strong armed the carriers from the very beginning.

That's actually not true. They tried to strong-arm Verizon, and that ended up with Verizon laughing in their faces. They went to AT&T and got on their network by agreeing to an exclusivity deal for some amount of time.

Even then, it's pretty obvious tha AT&T interfered with the iPhone on some occassions. For example, youtube over 3G (I believe there used to be not allowed or there was some amount of timelimit)? Facetime over 3G? Wifi hotspot?

That's actually not true. They tried to strong-arm Verizon, and that ended up with Verizon laughing in their faces. They went to AT&T and got on their network by agreeing to an exclusivity deal for some amount of time.

Even then, it's pretty obvious tha AT&T interfered with the iPhone. For example, youtube over 3G (I believe there used to be not allowed or there was some amount of timelimit)? Facetime over 3G? Wifi hotspot?
apple did what they had to do though. That's the bottom line. Because stone cold said so. Apple definitely didn't win every battle but they won the war on the power front.

nib95

Banned
"what they're doing" is taking a righteous stance against the people they gave the power to to begin with.

No, what they're doing is ditching something that only 1% of the global market can truly make use of in order to produce a far superior value device that will reach out to a much larger market than if they'd done otherwise. Honestly, if you want LTE why not just buy another phone? You can stick Vanilla android esque ROMs on them anyway if that's what you want.

I know it's only anecdotal but I know numerous teens, low paid employees etc that have already pre ordered this thing and who otherwise would have never dreamed of a phone like this. Then you have enthusiast users swapping their S3's for them, and many switching over from iPhones. Clearly the LTE thing is not the be all end all.

No, what they're doing is ditching something that only 1% of the global market can truly make use of in order to produce a far superior value device that will reach out to a much larger market than if they'd done otherwise. Honestly, if you want LTE why not just buy another phone? You can stick Vanilla android esque ROMs on them anyway if that's what you want.
you think the phone not being on the biggest carriers will allow it to reach more people. Never.

Hieberrr

you think the phone not being on the biggest carriers will allow it to reach more people. Never.

Why bring the cost of the unit up when it only caters to a super small percentage of the whole market? The price of the product goes up and they'll no longer have that price advantage.

Cipherr

At this point expecting Google to have the power with carriers than Apple does is like expecting the next iPhone to have multiple hardware configurations.

"WHAT there's no 5.5" iPhone this year?". Its not going to happen, the direction the two operating systems took is very different. Had they tried the Apple approach from the start with Android, carriers wouldn't have taken to it, and Android wouldn't be where it is now. I'll bet in the future, they stick with this approach, and Maaaaaybe add a LTE radio that supports Tmobile bands only in the future if TMobile agrees not to interfere with updates.

nib95

Banned

Your posts continually imply that you think the only country in the world that exists or matters is the US. You need to broaden your perspective and look at the bigger picture.

Why bring the cost of the unit up when it only caters to a super small percentage of the whole market? The price of the product goes up and they'll no longer have that price advantage.
so you think being able to sell it unlocked at 300/350 in north america is a bigger advantage in terms of getting it in peoples hands than selling it on carriers? I say north america because it costs even more elsewhere.

Your posts continually imply that you think the only country in the world that exists or matters is the US. You need to broaden your perspective and look at the bigger picture.
and you are drinking dat google koolaid. There is no LTE on the phone because the carriers wouldn't allow it in its current form. Not for any single other reason or excuse google has made up. They took the situation and tried to make it sound like a positive but if you think this was their goal from the beginning you'd be wrong.

Top Bottom