• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think I've read it does wireless charging. Is it confirmed ?

Yeah

You can buy this charging station:
ilGWWQrUaRR7X.png

Or use any other Qi compliant charging mat.

hitsugi

Despite being hesitant, and an iPhone 5 owner, I've been curious about Android for quite some time now.. and it looks like this would be the best opportunity to give the platform a go.

I'm hoping the Nexus 4 won't disappoint. No LTE is a little questionable for me, but AT&T's LTE is not quite Verizon.

Vyer

Despite being hesitant, and an iPhone 5 owner, I've been curious about Android for quite some time now.. and it looks like this would be the best opportunity to give the platform a go.

I'm hoping the Nexus 4 won't disappoint. No LTE is a little questionable for me, but AT&T's LTE is not quite Verizon.

Nexus 7 is also a good choice, if you don't want to use 2 phones.

hitsugi

Nexus 7 is also a good choice, if you don't want to use 2 phones.

Well I'm actually going to sell the iPhone and just dive in. I'm one of those people who, once I get curious enough about something I just have to try it. If I had $300 sitting around, I'd just buy one and keep both for a while.. but unfortunately it's one or the other, and I'm tired of iOS

Vyer

Well I'm actually going to sell the iPhone and just dive in. I'm one of those people who, once I get curious enough about something I just have to try it. If I had $300 sitting around, I'd just buy one and keep both for a while.. but unfortunately it's one or the other, and I'm tired of iOS

Ah, I see. The N7 was enough to satisfy my curiosity, but I get what you're saying.

Bruiserk

debating between the note 2, s3 and this.. hard decision

I know the feeling breh. Except I have pretty much ruled out the Note II. I don't think I could be able to handle the screen.

I feel like the S3 is the safe choice, but N4 with stock/timely updates is a big plus. Off-contract. No LTE is not a big deal for me (I think, never had experience with LTE). I just hope the battery is ok :/

I bought some books, headphones and a 32 GB card for my HTC Desire just a week ago. Had I not done that, I would be able to buy a 16 GB Nexus 4 at launch but now I'll have to wait until Christmas... Is everyone getting the N4 on release day?

Hieberrr

I bought some books, headphones and a 32 GB card for my HTC Desire just a week ago. Had I not done that, I would be able to buy a 16 GB Nexus 4 at launch but now I'll have to wait until Christmas... Is everyone getting the N4 on release day?
Yup! Cash on hand and ready to either pick it up in stores (if it shows up) or order through Google Play (and pay off my CC).

Dunlop

You still can do that since you're not going to enter in another contract with this phone.

Yeah it's more of a guilt thing. I just picked up a N7 last month, spent almost 2k on my kid's hockey and x-mas is looming.

Her contract being up was the easy out

"No your Optimus one will not work on that network, take my phone and I'll buy that crappy N4" :p

Polari

I know the feeling breh. Except I have pretty much ruled out the Note II. I don't think I could be able to handle the screen.

I feel like the S3 is the safe choice, but N4 with stock/timely updates is a big plus. Off-contract. No LTE is not a big deal for me (I think, never had experience with LTE). I just hope the battery is ok :/

N4 all the way. Stock over TouchWiz any day and it will likely be better supported down the road. Battery life should improve to the point where it's at least on par with the Optimus G.

DXPett1

Wasn't going to upgrade, but can't resist at that price.
This. Was going to follow my previous plan and skip a generation (N1 to GN) but the price coupled with better camera made it too hard resist

Good OT btw. Might be a good idea to list prices for each region though

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest fear about this phone is that glass back. I just have scenes in my head of a ton of people cracking their Nexus 4s not even a year into ownership.

hitsugi

Biggest fear about this phone is that glass back. I just have scenes in my head of a ton of people cracking their Nexus 4s not even a year into ownership.

There are also a ton of people who own/owned the iPhone 4/4s and never even put a scratch on the back... without utilizing a case. The iPhone 5 (black, anyway) is way more fragile in my experience, and it's only been around a month.

J-Rzez

It's hard for me to let go of my old experiences with LG products. Nothing wrong with my current Nexus, not even a year old, I can hold out a bit longer. Argh, wish it was made by Samsung or Sony.

hitsugi

It's hard for me to let go of my old experiences with LG products. Nothing wrong with my current Nexus, not even a year old, I can hold out a bit longer. Argh, wish it was made by Samsung or Sony.

Go back a few years with Sony... Remember their Xperia devices? Looked amazing? Performed terribly?

nib95

Banned
I have to admit, I do feel some of these sites are Apple jaded. LTE or not, fact of the matter is it costs half as much as the phones its being compared to. That's embarrassing. Either knock all the other phones down or bump up the N4 for what is a HUGE milestone in the mobile industry and market pricing. Add to that I like how now suddenly LTE is a must, though with the 4S the omission was perfectly acceptable and no cause for lesser opinion or scoring. "Even the iphone" comment cracked me up on The Verge. Ironic really.

SimleuqiR

Not really big on the glass back material, though it looks nice. At that price I'm definitely jumping in.

Remember folks, the LG in this phone stands for : Life is Google

Hieberrr

Get a case for it. I'm getting one of those TPU cases from ebay as soon as one is available.

Mrg8523-

Finally going to upgrade from my Nexus S. Jellybean made the phone run a little better than ICS but the hardware in there is starting to show its age and everything is starting to run really slow.

jts

...hate me...
I have to admit, I do feel some of these sites are Apple jaded. LTE or not, fact of the matter is it costs half as much as the phones its being compared to. That's embarrassing. Either knock all the other phones down or bump up the N4 for what is a HUGE milestone in the mobile industry and market pricing. Add to that I like how now suddenly LTE is a must, though with the 4S the omission was perfectly acceptable and no cause for lesser opinion or scoring. "Even the iphone" comment cracked me up on The Verge. Ironic really.
It's Google's flagship. It's cheap it's true, but should it be? It's completely legit that people feel like there should be a Google experience phone with the best tech that the mobile world has to offer... it's not even bleeding edge by now. Same goes for the sad storage options. Even if at the expense of being a bit pricier... they got it to be really cheap so it wouldn't hurt to get better and more expensive options that the market is willing to pay for.

The iPhone 4S is more than one year old. That's a crazy long time in the technology world, you know. If no LTE was something already just kinda passable by then, by now is quite more shocking... so I don't get the irony part, although I understand your agenda.

For all those worried about the glass back; there are two screws on the bottom, so if it's similar to the 4 and 4s, you can probably just unscrew it and replace it.

Totakeke

A lot of people don't need to breathe and live at the cutting edge. Look at the big picture, it makes far more sense for google to target the larger portion of the market rather than make another device for the enthusiast.

nib95

Banned
It's Google's flagship. It's cheap it's true, but should it be? It's completely legit that people feel like there should be a Google experience phone with the best tech that the mobile world has to offer... it's not even bleeding edge by now. Same goes for the sad storage options. Even if at the expense of being a bit pricier... they got it to be really cheap so it wouldn't hurt to get better and more expensive options that the market is willing to pay for.

The iPhone 4S is more than one year old. That's a crazy long time in the technology world, you know. If no LTE was something already just kinda passable by then, by now is quite more shocking... so I don't get the irony part, although I understand your agenda.

The Nexus has never been a flagship device in the grander scheme of things. It's always been the high end of older tech just vanilla Googled. Add to that, it is still a flagship device, just with a budget price. Why should it be held to the same standard as phones that are twice its price? The fact that it IS comparable is a farce in itself.

And LTE was on many devices at the time of the 4S. The 4S was priced extortionately high but got let off its shortfalls despite this. Roles reversed, the N4 is budget priced but still gets scathed for the same short comings, despite actually being better spec'd every where else than the much higher priced competition. It's a ridiculous double standard.

Totakeke

We should just accept the fact that the verge reviewers depend far more than their personal emotion than objectivity anyway. Appeal to their emotion and they'll justify your faults and praise your features.

Jeff-DSA

We should just accept the fact that the verge reviewers depend far more than their personal emotion than objectivity anyway. Appeal to their emotion and they'll justify your faults and praise your features.

The reviews are worth reading, but there's little to no consistency between what they choose to overlook and what they choose to pick on. It's sloppy. I check out their reviews only to read the factual stuff about the devices, not so much about what they say about the "overall experience," because it's really unreliable from them.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I have had my Gnex for about 4 months and I plan to upgrade to this. The no LTE does not affect me since I use T-Mobile and get pretty good HSPA+ speeds. I agree that the reviews as a whole seem inconsistent. Personally I can't wait to read Android Central's review.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have never ordered, or pre-ordered anything off of the play store. Do they ship on the day of the release date, or a bit before? Quick to ship out?

jts

...hate me...
The Nexus has never been a flagship device in the grander scheme of things. It's always been the high end of older tech just vanilla Googled. Add to that, it is still a flagship device, just with a budget price. Why should it be held to the same standard as phones that are twice its price? The fact that it IS comparable is a farce in itself.

And LTE was on many devices at the time of the 4S. The 4S was priced extortionately high but got let off its shortfalls despite this. Roles reversed, the N4 is budget priced but still gets scathed for the same short comings, despite actually being better spec'd every where else than the much higher priced competition. It's a ridiculous double standard.
A lot of people praise the Nexus line as the best Android phones if only for that vanilla experience and better/faster updates, but of course the usually overall good hardware is also factored in. I see myself as one of them, and back then when I was disappointed with iOS 6 beta, said I was going to wait for the next Nexus and iPhone to decide which one is going to replace my iPhone 4.

There's a lot of things that I like in the iPhone that makes the Nexus phones the best Androids for me, even if there are more expensive and with more flashy hardware ones out there, like Samsung's offerings. In that sense I understand the frustration that there isn't an end-all device from Google. LTE wasn't even properly deployed in a lot of countries (like mine) last year but it is now.

The Nexus 4 is great as it is and for the price is a smashing product. The real world, the mass market, will appreciate that. And the score is actually a great score. But I bet that a +100$ expensive version w/ LTE would get a higher score because that's what tech enthusiasts were expecting from this 2012 phone, not "well, it's budget".

Davidion

So is LTE and no SD pretty much the only two complaints about this phone coming out of reviewers thus far?

Tempted to sell my S3 and buy this phone...wonder how the performance compares.

So is LTE and no SD pretty much the only two complaints about this phone coming out of reviewers thus far?

Tempted to sell my S3 and buy this phone...wonder how the performance compares.

Benchmarks aren't that great for some reason, but reviews so far have said they have trouble finding lag. Even the One X and S3 lag occasionally.

Don't know how a glass back can be seen as a negative. S3 feels like a cheap turd in your hands. Don't drop your phone. Pretty simple. Love all glass.

One thing that concerns me is the "washed out screen colors" comment in the verge review. Really wish I could see this thing in person here in Canada.

Does Google have anything in place for those switching over from iOS? $25 App Store credit would be nice to get a lot of the iOS apps I've bought back on android. I've spent about that much on iOS apps (which isn't a lot compared to most in the iOS gaming thread) but would hate to have to rebuy a lot of those.

iPhone App Store vs Android App Store used to be a huge win for why I chose the iPhone. That's just not the case anymore. 99.9% of all the apps I (and most) use daily are on android now. So that's a good thing.

The biggest hurdles for me in making the switch is iCloud and the UI of android being a bit too overwhelming for me compared to the simplicity of iOS. Losing iCloud connectivity with my Apple TV and iMac would suck.

Does google release a nexus every year with a new hardware company? Samsung, LG, and what's next? LG is a huge black flag for me.

Is there any chance we see a sony nexus in a year?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Like I mentioned earlier I am on T-Mobile and have their new unlimited value plan. No tethering included but I am sure there are ways around that. Anyways since the max storage is 16gb I am transitioning my photos, videos and other files to the cloud. I have 5gb with drive, 2.5gb with dropbox and unlimited pics/vids to google+. Does anyone else live on the cloud mostly and is there anything else recommended?

As somebody who didn't follow it, what were the issues with the Nexus 7 launch?
pre-ordering meant nothing. They shipped devices at absolute random regardless of when people ordered. Just random roll out.

Like their OS updates LOLoLOLOLl. Probably why they aren't doing pre-orders this time. They don't know how.

gogojira

I really want this phone but man am I bummed about the thought of going to T-Mobile. That's the ultimate drawback for me; I can get over the other gripes. I've got a few friends on T-Mobile and their reception is always a mess with dropped calls and echoing.

But damn, I love the look of the Nexus 4 and that big screen -- it makes my iPhone 4 screen seem puny.

Top Bottom