• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Does anyone here know how long the RMA process takes? I got my Nexus 5 in mid April and it worked fine but in the past month the battery drain has been horrendous. I have restored my phone to factory settings 3 times and I still see 20-30% battery drain overnight. I think that Google will replace it but I have never sent anything back to them.

Depends where you are, if you're able to provide a credit card so they can charge a hold for a new phone, they can send you out a replacement asap. Once you send the faulty handset back to them, they will cancel the hold on your card.

Ah ok. Thanks for that info. I do have a card so that won't be a problem. I was more curious if they would question my RMA and wait to test it before sending out a replacement.

**I live in Ky and my GNex, 4, and 5 all shipped from Louisville so hopefully the replacement ships from there as well.

solid mike

What does GAF think about the 16gb model? I'm saving up for the 32 but if I really can't wait, i might get the 16. I don't intend to download a whole lot of apps and I already have an iPad mini for gaming. What does GAF think?

hitsugi

What does GAF think about the 16gb model? I'm saving up for the 32 but if I really can't wait, i might get the 16. I don't intend to download a whole lot of apps and I already have an iPad mini for gaming. What does GAF think?

I have the 16gb model. I have never had a problem with phone storage, ever. I have plenty of games and apps installed, essential music stored locally and the rest via spotify or play music

Silexx

Posted this in the Android thread, but I figured I would post this here too:

Hey guys, need some advice on my Nexus 5.

Earlier today, while tending to my pool, I unfortunately got some water splashed onto my pants where my phone was sitting into my pocket. At first, it seemed all would be fine as I could still turn on my screen, but not a minute later the screen no longer turned on.

Now my phone still seems to work as my ringtones and notifications still go off when I get message. Unfortunately, I had no rice in my house today and all stores were closed do to Canada Day so I tried to wipe out any moisture on my own.

So should I wait it out to see if things improve or am I SOL and should start looking for a new phone?

cRfq8Kn.jpg
qVLkr3C.jpg

I go to bed with it on 92%, put it on flight mode to conserve battery, expect it to go down to 90% (as was typical), it's 35% when I wake up. This is unacceptable. Phone Idle used almost a third of the battery in a third of a day alone? This quick depletion has been going on for a few days. Any tips?

Doopliss

I go to bed with it on 92%, put it on flight mode to conserve battery, expect it to go down to 90% (as was typical), it's 35% when I wake up. This is unacceptable. Phone Idle used almost a third of the battery in a third of a day alone? This quick depletion has been going on for a few days. Any tips?
Phone idle is not the problem. The 29% is just the proportion of battery it used compared to the other items in that list. It has used the same amount as the screen which wasn't on for very long so it won't have consumed much at all.

Usually in these overnight battery drain situations it's because of something keeping the CPU awake, but the bar in the screenshot indicates that that wasn't the case. I guess it's some other component going haywire. Have you rebooted the device recently?

Chris R

I noticed that my wifi would drain the battery pretty badly over night (similar to the above image) so I just now have the device set to only keep wifi on when the device is awake or plugged in :(

I also make sure to hit the third button (no idea what it is called, the thing to the right of the home button) and clear all apps out before going to bed.

I had the same thing happen months ago with my phone. I rebooted the phone manually and it hasn't drained like that since. Not sure what caused it and the battery info gave no clue about it either.

That's strange. From my experience I never had a auto reboot, some background application is preventing your phone's cpu from deep sleep
This OTOH has been recurring intermittenly for me in the past few weeks. Maybe I need to play less Puzzle and Dragons (lol) since it seems to coincide with my gaming sessions? Only happens about once a week or two.

sammich

So my Xperia took a dump. 2nd time now within a year and its souring me on Sony again. Looking to fix it but tihs one place is telling me its a mobo issue. Phone(Battery)just wont hold a charge. It just does a constant reboot. I keep it plugged in for a while and then once it gets a little bit of juice it boots up and stays up till i unplug the power and then the process has to restart.

Anyway, i bought the Nexus 5 since i desperately need a phone and it seems like the best bang for the buck, comes unlocked so that i can give it to my wife later on and i dont have to pay some crazy immense money to Robbers to get a new phone. Are there any fancy cases/covers that you guys recommend?

If you like Magpul cases they just came out with one for the Nexus 5. I received the email yesterday that it is now shipping....just waiting for the holiday weekend to be over to try and pick one up.

271_1447_popup.jpg

Rnr1224

looking to get a nexus 5 soon as my contract is up and i want to get an upgrade from my galaxy nexus. Is ordering from the Google Play Store still the best option in terms of price. I looked for some deals and have found that the price hasn't dropped all that much.

Aiii

So not worth it
Upgraded to Android L saturday, definitely worth it. So far the only app that isn't working for me is Dropbox, but that's not a big bother as I can just use Drive instead.

Best change of the system has to be notifications finally displaying on the lockscreen. 't was about time.

8bit

Knows the Score
Upgraded to Android L saturday, definitely worth it. So far the only app that isn't working for me is Dropbox, but that's not a big bother as I can just use Drive instead.

Best change of the system has to be notifications finally displaying on the lockscreen. 't was about time.

Yeah, I did it too. I don't use dropbox anymore so it's not missed and as you note Drive is there.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd like to hear from the L users who downgraded back. Other than those who needed MMS. I don't see myself downgrading ever.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not judging or anything, but I'm legit unsure as to why people are using MMS, isn't that considered archaic in light of internet now being available on phones?

Husker86

Not judging or anything, but I'm legit unsure as to why people are using MMS, isn't that considered archaic in light of internet now being available on phones?

iPhone users having you in a group message. I've got almost all my friends using Hangouts, but if someone wants to send a group message to the "extended friends" group, MMS is how it will be done. Sucks, but it's just too integrated for a lot of people to switch.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ah I see, everyone in NL is using Whatsapp instead of the platform specific stuff, so I guess that's where the difference lies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Funny how the OG iPhone didn't include MMS because Apple knew it was an outdated standard. Yet here we are like seven years later and it's because of Apple that MMS is still around.

snacknuts

we all knew her
iPhone users having you in a group message. I've got almost all my friends using Hangouts, but if someone wants to send a group message to the "extended friends" group, MMS is how it will be done. Sucks, but it's just too integrated for a lot of people to switch.

I'm the only person in my office without an iPhone. I never receive the group messages that they send, unless the message is sent by our AP lady. No idea why.

kris.

Banned
hey broes, i don't have an upgrade for a few months and i'm using a Nokia 520 right now and it's the worst phone i've ever had. i'm getting some hella money this week, and i kinda really want a nexus phone. should i get the 5 or wait for the next one?

thenexus6

UK GAF:

So I got a Spigen ultra slim case a while back but didn't like the feel (felt too slippery for me) so since then i've bought other cases. The Spigen has just been sitting in the box so i'm giving it away.

I used the case for like half a day, its got a couple of tiny marks but overall its very good. It was bought off eBay for £8 also on amazon for same price. If someone paypals me the p+p cost (like £1.00-1.50) i'll send it your way!

Here it is:

4vgzhku.jpg

Will even through in a spare screen protector!

PM me.

Remyzero

UK GAF:

So I got a Spigen ultra slim case a while back but didn't like the feel (felt too slippery for me) so since then i've bought other cases. The Spigen has just been sitting in the box so i'm giving it away.

I used the case for like half a day, its got a couple of tiny marks but overall its very good. It was bought off eBay for £8 also on amazon for same price. If someone paypals me the p+p cost (like £1.00-1.50) i'll send it your way!

Here it is:

4vgzhku.jpg

PM me.

This case saved my phone today. It slipped out of pocket into a doggie bowl of water and I thought my phone was a gonner. Lucky enough it still works!!!

UK GAF:

Here it is:

4vgzhku.jpg

PM me.

Thanks again for the case & screen protector buddy!

Ark

Left my phone in my locker this morning, three hours into my shift I take my break and Google+ has used 53% of my battery. Fucking google plus, I don't even use it ffs. Left my charger at home, it's not even 12 and I'm on 14%, don't finish until 8....

Fucking Google+.

Left my phone in my locker this morning, three hours into my shift I take my break and Google+ has used 53% of my battery. Fucking google plus, I don't even use it ffs. Left my charger at home, it's not even 12 and I'm on 14%, don't finish until 8....

Fucking Google+.
Are you set to auto-backup your settings or to auto-upload photos?

terrier

Fucking Google+.

yup, it is quite annoying, the shit is you have to have it working to backup photos. They should make the photos app standalone and not tied to G+ but.,...

Ark

Are you set to auto-backup your settings or to auto-upload photos?

Is that the option in 'backup & restore'? If it is, then yeah but it's not caused me much hassle before.

yup, it is quite annoying, the shit is you have to have it working to backup photos. They should make the photos app standalone and not tied to G+ but.,...

Unfortunately I doubt that's ever going to happen :p

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else having issues in Chrome lately?

I can only highlight single words now/now, the copy button no longer saves to my clipboard so I have to do it manually, and sometimes I can't even backspace, it just keeps adding words I've already typed.

Edit: see the now/now above as an example, I tried backspacing the slash to put a comma and it did that.

Baskcm

well took this phone on holiday with me and the camera held up great i got some great pictures after using it i love this phone the size, screen and the speed of it if and when the next nexus comes out im getting it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

Fucking Google+.

I would recommend disabling any Google apps you don't use.

I disabled:

Google Play Books
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
Google+
Hangouts
News & Weather
Google Wallet

Less clutter on my screen and I don't have to worry about any wakelocks from those apps.

Ark

I would recommend disabling any Google apps you don't use.

I disabled:

Google Play Books
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
Google+
Hangouts
News & Weather
Google Wallet

Less clutter on my screen and I don't have to worry about any wakelocks from those apps.

I think I've got most of those disabled anyway, I'll check again though., I must have opened Google+ by accident or something. Either way, today I'll be taking my charger to work :p

jimbor

Banned

Fucking Google+.

I've found this happens to me every now and then but I have no idea what causes it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone else having issues in Chrome lately?

I can only highlight single words now/now, the copy button no longer saves to my clipboard so I have to do it manually, and sometimes I can't even backspace, it just keeps adding words I've already typed.

Edit: see the now/now above as an example, I tried backspacing the slash to put a comma and it did that.

Are you sure it's not the keyboard you're using? I've had exactly that backspace issue with SwiftKey in Chrome in the past, but it has never happened since I switched back to the Google keyboard.

What you guys can recommend for SMS app? I'm getting tired with hangouts.

Pushbullet + EvolveSMS = you can reply to texts from your PC, which is pretty sweet. It's not the only way to accomplish this by any means, but it's a good one. And Evolve is a good SMS app in its own right.

terrier

Is that the option in 'backup & restore'? If it is, then yeah but it's not caused me much hassle before.

Unfortunately I doubt that's ever going to happen :p

I have autoupload only when wifi and charging, so i only have that issue when i have photos to upload and after charging. I usually reboot device once i unplug it and done. If i do not reboot G+ is up there eating battery life for a while.

Rnr1224

Got my Red Nexus 5 a couple days ago and I am loving it! Amazing difference coming from the Galaxy Nexus. I love the Red color and damn they were right to label it bright red. The phone seems really bright when outdoors, but indoor light doesnt produce the same kind of glow, its strange but kinda cool at the same time haha

Linkhero1

I'm trying to backup all my photos onto my laptop using a usb. Why is it taking 14 hours to transfer a few gigs of photos? This is super slow. It used to take me half an hour with my old S3. Any suggestions on ways to overcome the slow speeds?

Top Bottom