• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

jasonng

Dang, that sucks. How much will it cost to get the screen replaced?
I didn't bother. I was hoping by some miracle that the manufacturer warranty will cover it. I was nice about it because I know how ridiculous I sound. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't believe me.

I'm just going to live with the war scar.

thenexus6

How are you guys handling the brightness on your Nexus 5?

I'm currently using stock auto and... it feels weird. It's too dark in places where it should be brighter and too bright in places where it should tone it down.

Manually, al the way down at night about third up during the day

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered this as a replacement for my Xperia Z, the speaker on the phone works on and off... definitely a problem considering I actually do use my phone for voice calls.

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for cases? I generally don't use a case for my phone but I wouldn't mind one that's simple, not overly big, and matches the colour (black) or is clear.

I'm currently using stock auto and... it feels weird. It's too dark in places where it should be brighter and too bright in places where it should tone it down.
I manually switch it like everyone else. Seems to be the easiest way. Auto felt hit or miss for me.

Lux (paid version). I haven't touched the brightness button in months.

jaosobno

So, I'm traveling to New York in one month and I've been thinking of buying unlocked Nexus 5 there (I'm European).

A few quick questions, for those that can help:

- is there any chance I can find an international version there (D821)?

- if I can't find International version, I'm considering buying USA version, which should work with EU 2G/3G networks. I'm not particularly happy with having useless LTE capability, but the price difference between Europe and USA is quite large (~$150) and LTE coverage in my country is spotty at best.

- which shop could offer me the price that is closest to the one from Playstore?

This phone is simply amazing. I had a Galaxy S4 and I didn't think it could get any better (besides some occasional lag from Touchwiz).

Stock Android is beautiful, fast, fluid and never lags.
Hangouts is nice, I just wish I could use it as a SMS texting app only. I know this sounds weird considering I have my Google account connected to my device, I wish hangouts didn't need to connect to my email.
No bloatware! (compared to my s4. The S4 texting app LAGGED once you had a lot of texts stored)
It just works.

I had a Verizon Blitz, LG En V Touch, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S4 and now a Nexus 5. My Nexus 5 is definitely my favorite. <3

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any news on an update with better battery? My coworker is considering one, but I told him my battery gets torn up. I get a day at best. I love the phone otherwise...But the battery IS a point of concern.

JoeFu

Banned
ugh I'm so stupid. I spilled some water next to my Nexus 5 and it got in the speakers.... No sound anymore, but the ringtone works. I have no idea if they're dead or not. Most likely are though :(

Yeah I think my mic and speakers are dead :(.

or not.... I can't play music or use google now voice commands, but I can talk and use the speaker phone for phone calls still. I don't get it.

Or not. Everything works now... Not gonna complain

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Is there an app or something so when you use the front facing camera the picture doesn't cone out mirrored? I know you can reverse the pic with the editing tools but I feel an option should be there so the pictures don't come out like that in the first place

Any news on an update with better battery? My coworker is considering one, but I told him my battery gets torn up. I get a day at best. I love the phone otherwise...But the battery IS a point of concern.

I'm with you on this.

My battery is absolutely terrible. Coming from the Note 3 this phone is amazing, and obviously the Note's battery is huge, but the Nexus 5 gets killed in the battery department.

I'm hoping that it's the new phone feeling where I'm on it all the time and it just dies quickly, but after looking at the stats, I'm afraid that's not the case.

Still, this phone is awesome.

The battery isn't the best. The worst thing is it's varies each day. On day 1 I can get 4 hours of DOT and on day 2 just 2 1/2. Most times its arround 3 1/2 hours DOT. It's okay for the normal work day.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm with you on this.

My battery is absolutely terrible. Coming from the Note 3 this phone is amazing, and obviously the Note's battery is huge, but the Nexus 5 gets killed in the battery department.

I'm hoping that it's the new phone feeling where I'm on it all the time and it just dies quickly, but after looking at the stats, I'm afraid that's not the case.

Sadly, it's not. I've had mine for a few months now and the battery has been shitty since day 1. I bought a portable battery charger when my wife and I went to Disney at the beginning of March. It was the only way my phone would make it away from an outlet with semi-regular use throughout a day.

E: Anyone else have issues with YouTube always hitching up? Whenever I'm on WiFi, videos will hiccup randomly. Never happens on my wife's iPhone or our iPad...Only my Nexus.

Husker86

I'm with you on this.

What is "absolutely terrible"?

I get at least 3 hours of screen time usually, at work I listen to podcasts and/or music at work all day and probably end up with an hour of screen time at over 50% (by then I plug it in either in the car or at home).

Maybe I'm just used to "bad" battery life, but I actually can't remember the last time I was below 25%.

I've never tried to go more than a day (though I doubt it would last that long); I just plug it on every night because I can't see a reason to not do that.

keezy

Just a heads up if you're looking for cases. The Google bumper case has some sort of rubber coating on it. I've had mine for a few months right now and it's starting to peel off. Case looks terrible right now. Going to have to pick up a new one because once that grip peeled off the hard plastic has no grip to it.

DrSlek

My screen cracked and I just got my nexus 5 last week. The strangest thing is that I left it on my desk, looked away and all of the sudden I see the crack. I know for sure that it wasn't there when I put it down and I never dropped the phone. Anyone know how that happened? The only thing I can think of is that I dropped my coat next to it but it's not at all heavy.

I'm going to a Tmobile store to exchange for a new one but I don't want this to happen again especially when I don't know what caused it.

Edit: I don't have a case for it yet.

Had the same thing occur for me. Tiny little semicircle crack that appeared next to the power button. I thought it was a hair stuck to the screen initially.

Never dropped it. The only thing I can imagine is that it was in my pants pocket with the screen facing outwards, and I've possibly bumped into or been bumped by something that has caused the crack.

Either way, physical damage isn't covered by warranty and there's no way to prove that there was a manufacturing fault in the screen or something.

Panda Rin

So I have a really weird situation going on. I sometimes wake up in the morning with my battery completely drained from being in a state when it's fully charged before I go to sleep. But when I use it lightly during the day, it only loses about 10% charge in a span of 12 hours.

Is something up with how my phone is tracking my battery, or is some prick ghost using my phone during the night?

So I'm thinking about buying a Nexus 5. However, I don't want to lose my number I currently have from Verizon.

What would be my best choice in purchasing a Nexus 5 and being able to port over my number to it?

Husker86

So I'm thinking about buying a Nexus 5. However, I don't want to lose my number I currently have from Verizon.

What would be my best choice in purchasing a Nexus 5 and being able to port over my number to it?
Any carrier can port your number, be it prepaid or postpaid.

You will have to pay an ETF if you're still under contract with Verizon though.

Husker86

My contract ended at Verizon last month, so technically I'm just doing month to month with them.

It will be simple then. Once you get your Nexus 5, go to your new carrier (or do it all online if you're just getting a SIM card from them) and fill out the required info to port your number.

The porting process cancels your Verizon account by itself, so you don't even have to talk to Verizon.

Lexxism

Anyone here with red Nexus 5? How is it? Suddenly my phone broke and I badly needed a replacement. I'm thinking of buying Nexus 5 early -_-

B3ASTMODE

Guys so I got a nexus 5 about a week ago and I've been having issues with the camera. Every time I start the app I get the message "camera error can't connect to camera" even if I reboot the phone I still get this message. I even factory reset and I'll keep getting it. Any ideas? Or should I get a replacement.

Husker86

Guys so I got a nexus 5 about a week ago and I've been having issues with the camera. Every time I start the app I get the message "camera error can't connect to camera" even if I reboot the phone I still get this message. I even factory reset and I'll keep getting it. Any ideas? Or should I get a replacement.

If you factory reset it then it sounds like a hardware issue :(

Lexxism

Finally got my new phone. It's really cool device. I'm still not used on how to work this thing but I'm loving it so far. Good thing I didn't go with Samsung Galaxy 5. Which one has a better specs anyway?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I dub thee my Superman Nexus 5!
ufZNqtk.jpg

Hey guys I'm on a T mobile prepaid plan and was looking to upgrade to this phone in the coming months. Would all I have to do is put the sim card in or is there more to it?

S5 of course.

Very marginally, though.

The only area where the Nexus 5 is definitely lacking is the battery - and that was the case 6 months ago as well when it launched.

The Snapdragon 801 is a marginal upgrade over the 800 - the real next gen of Android phones will come out later this year or early next year when the 64-bit Snapdragon will come out (and we'll have our 1440p screen).

Pooya

Very marginally, though.

The only area where the Nexus 5 is definitely lacking is the battery - and that was the case 6 months ago as well when it launched.

The Snapdragon 801 is a marginal upgrade over the 800 - the real next gen of Android phones will come out later this year or early next year when the 64-bit Snapdragon will come out (and we'll have our 1440p screen).

camera too, S5 camera is way way better. It's still pretty great for what you pay though I think better budget choices are coming up.

64-bit Snapdragon is coming in 2015 and it's not even krait cores :| this year phones in fall are probably equipped with 805 which should give a good GPU boost.

tzare

Anyone using the app slidelock? How is it? Is it much better if go with pro version or just use the free one?
I use the free one, it works well but it uses a bit too much memory and is abit of a hassle if you have security since a second lock screen appears after you swype to unlock. Not sure if paid version solves that.

Doopliss

I noticed to day that part of the X in the Nexus logo on the back has fallen off. I'm debating whether to remove the rest to make it look consistent. Stupid cheap construction :(

Higgy

Need some help. My text messaging is totally pissing me off right now. It used to tell me how long ago I sent a text or recieved one. Now all it says is "just now" on the whole coversation all the way back when I bought the phone 5 months ago. For awhile it wouldn't show me in the coversation (even though the text was sent) but at least now I'm back to being able to see me and the other person talking on the same screen.

Frustrating. Makes me want to go back to Apple.

ArchAngel

Holy shit, just had a little shock. Talked with a friend about the N5 (he wants a new phone and looked at the N5) and I told him that the "ok, google" function is sadly US only. The moment I said it, Google Now opened o_O
German N5 here. Never knew they activated it here, soooo much more useful this way! :D

TeegsD

Hey all, any suggestion on a case? Looking for something low profile because I really like how slick the phone is and I'm not really interested in making it too bulky.

SimleuqiR

Once some of you are on 4.4.3, let me know if you see a difference in the display. Seems like they calibrated it. Either that, or auto brightness adjust smoother than before.

Rootbeer

Banned
I did a factory restore from the new 4.4.3 image on my N5.

All went smoothly except I forgot about my authenticators. What a bitch to set those up. Thankfully I had some backup codes tucked away. I really wish that stuff just synced to google's servers. I never had problems with stuff like that when I used an iPhone. In fact, probably going to switch back to iPhone with the next model, too many wonky things to deal with on Android, bleh.

Anyway, it's running great. Not sure i'm keen enough to notice any display changes if they actually altered it. Seems similar to me.

Top Bottom