• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haha, you Americans complaining about your low, low taxes... The VAT on this here in Sweden (if the base price was the same) would be $162.25. 25% VAT, baby!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Haha, you Americans complaining about your low, low taxes... The VAT on this here in Sweden (if the base price was the same) would be $162.25. 25% VAT, baby!

Trade health care systems?

tfur

Uh, that's what a pre-order is.

Uh, no. This is clown shit. This is not buying concert tickets for finite performances. This is trickle availability, and silly web browser games to capture when you can get a chance to pre-order. Let people order them, if they are not immediately available anyhow.

tfur

Also, fuck you GOOG for making me play the website click game. I must of pressed back and forth between the Blue 32GB and 64GB about 50 times in the last few minutes. Like click, click, click, click........

Although, I did manage to get one. Blue 32GB. Leaves warehouse on 11/26/14!

I feel like I have been struct with battered spouse syndrome now because of this bullshit.

th3dude

Man, this really sucks.

Pushbullet is blowing up my phone, but I can't order one.

Also, I want a 64gb variant, which seems even more rare.

tfur

Man, this really sucks.

Pushbullet is blowing up my phone, but I can't order one.

Also, I want a 64gb variant, which seems even more rare.

You literally have to go to the web page, and click back and forth between the two sizes. Non stop. They will suddenly become available every few minutes... it will only be available for about a second.

I just got one a few minutes ago.

Not sure about 64GB though. I got the 32GB.

th3dude

You literally have to go to the web page, and click back and forth between the two sizes. Non stop. They will suddenly become available every few minutes... it will only be available for about a second.

I just got one a few minutes ago.

Not sure about 64GB though. I got the 32GB.

I wish I had time to do that :(

RayMaker

Banned
Looks a great device, but to big for a phone.

I think what apple has done is smart releasing a 4.7 and 6 inch devices.

I'm perfectly happy with my moto g 4g.

I suppose these devices aren't really phones there phablets a different product criteria for someone who wants a great media/internet/gaming/camera device with phone capabilities.

Google need to make a smaller version to include the market that want the latest but at a more practicle size

Looks a great device, but to big for a phone.

I think what apple has done is smart releasing a 4.7 and 6 inch devices.

I'm perfectly happy with my moto g 4g.

I suppose these devices aren't really phones there phablets a different product criteria for someone who wants a great media/internet/gaming/camera device with phone capabilities.

Google need to make a smaller version to include the market that want the latest but at a more practicle size

The new Moto X? I was trying to decide between that and the Nexus 6.

TxdoHawk

This thing is probably going to pull me back to my previous "Android Phone, iOS Tablet" position. I'm just waiting on confirmation the battery life holds up.

Sky Chief

Seems like they're done for the day. I got a blue 32GB in my cart and up to the checkout page but I really need 64GB. At least I know how to get one next week now.

NotBacon

if only the x had a 3k battery and an 805 :[

It is a little saddening, but there is reassurance because the majority of users are reporting great battery life with around 3.5-4 hrs SOT. I guess if you're a phone junkie though that won't do.

TxdoHawk

It is a little saddening, but there is reassurance because the majority of users are reporting great battery life with around 3.5-4 hrs SOT. I guess if you're a phone junkie though that won't do.

Yeah, that's my problem. 4 hours of SOT isn't enough for me, my phones get heavy use at work. Would've seriously considered the Moto X if it wasn't for that, so the fact that this is looking like a big Moto X with a battery that might stand up to my usage makes it extremely attractive.

RayMaker

Banned
It's about as powerful as the GS5 which is not as powerful as the note.

yeah the Moto X (2nd gen) is good choice for people who want a more practical phone hell the moto g is, I just think its a better strategy for google and the consumer to have a non phablet flagship nexus variant. Hell apple did it, and the iphone 6 is the more popular of the two models, so its not like I'am alone in this train of thought

However now that google own Motorola they will probably form a new more unified and clear product naming in scheming

E.g

Nexus M1 (mobile1)
Nexus T1 (tablet 1)
Nexus P1(phablet 1)

kyongwon

Banned
I work for AT&T, and motorola came by with the Nexus 6. He came in with the midnight blue.

I am impressed. I was already dead set for the nexus 6 because I was originally going to have the note 4 as my work device, but instantly switched to the nexus 6 once the specs were released. large screen+stereo dual speakers+high end specs+android L= winner.

If you like the moto x, you will love the nexus 6 by 100%. The weight is SOLID, feels like a very premium device. The smooth edges and the narrowing sides gives the phone a great hold to it. Even though the back is polycarbonate (i know some of you guys HATE anything plastic), it does NOT feel cheap or tacky, like samsung note 4 does. Personally, i hate how the edges of the note 4 are chamfered, like a knock off iphone product.

And the sound. I played some youtube videos and the sound is crisp and clear, and the audio output is loud and easily takes advantage of two speakers. stereo dual speakers is literally a must on all my future devices, starting with the nexus 6.

The colors? since its amoled, its nice and punchy, not too crazy saturated. I would prefer amoled over lcd anyday, and since ambient display takes advantage of the amoled (basically black/white lockscreen when new notification, or when you pick it up), its a very nice choice.

But the most important part of course, is the operating system. smooth as a baby's butt. everything you do, the animation serves purpose to create the best experience ever on a phone. my only nitpick is with some apps, the left drawer is inconsistent in where the menu starts from, either from the very top or under the hamburger (maps, hangouts, gmail, etc), but mb they will fix that later in the future.

Moto would not tell me when we will sell them on retail, but he only smiled and said real soon. Since google already said later in november, i'm gearing towards next week! fingers crossed.

th3dude

I work for AT&T, and motorola came by with the Nexus 6. He came in with the midnight blue.

I am impressed. I was already dead set for the nexus 6 because I was originally going to have the note 4 as my work device, but instantly switched to the nexus 6 once the specs were released. large screen+stereo dual speakers+high end specs+android L= winner.

If you like the moto x, you will love the nexus 6 by 100%. The weight is SOLID, feels like a very premium device. The smooth edges and the narrowing sides gives the phone a great hold to it. Even though the back is polycarbonate (i know some of you guys HATE anything plastic), it does NOT feel cheap or tacky, like samsung note 4 does. Personally, i hate how the edges of the note 4 are chamfered, like a knock off iphone product.

And the sound. I played some youtube videos and the sound is crisp and clear, and the audio output is loud and easily takes advantage of two speakers. stereo dual speakers is literally a must on all my future devices, starting with the nexus 6.

The colors? since its amoled, its nice and punchy, not too crazy saturated. I would prefer amoled over lcd anyday, and since ambient display takes advantage of the amoled (basically black/white lockscreen when new notification, or when you pick it up), its a very nice choice.

But the most important part of course, is the operating system. smooth as a baby's butt. everything you do, the animation serves purpose to create the best experience ever on a phone. my only nitpick is with some apps, the left drawer is inconsistent in where the menu starts from, either from the very top or under the hamburger (maps, hangouts, gmail, etc), but mb they will fix that later in the future.

Moto would not tell me when we will sell them on retail, but he only smiled and said real soon. Since google already said later in november, i'm gearing towards next week! fingers crossed.

Thanks for that.

I really want the white, but if push comes to shove and I don't have one ordered by next Wednesday I'm just going to order a blue one from T-Mobile.

NotBacon

moto x is not as powerful though. should of done a nexus 6 which is 5'' and a nexus 6+

Sure a S801 isn't as powerful as an S805, but that's nullified by the QHD screen on the N6.

Not that any of this nitpicking matters because any phone released in the last year is stupidly more powerful than needed for anyone anyways...

Thanks for the insight! I want to get one through at&t but I'm a little weary of the carrier bloatware. Hopefully the 6 avoids all the at&t locker, familymap, messages, navigator, ready2go, chaton my at&t, and yellow pages junk on my note 2.

TxdoHawk

How does the battery life on this phone fair compared to the Z3 or 6+?

Nobody knows yet. I would not dare hazard a guess, there are too many variables at play, but most are probably hoping for something along the lines of what the Note 4 gets or better (since it has a QHD screen and the same size battery).

Edit: Beaten.

Here's the GSM Arena battery chart. Looks like the iPhone 6+ gets about an hour more web browsing in their tests than the Note 4 and the Z3 gets almost two hours more.

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

That's still good on the larger scale of things, but it seems like the Note 4 isn't anywhere near the top when you look at large phones with chunky batteries. Again though, there are so many factors (bloatware, power draw of components, etc.) that no one knows for sure if the N6 will be in the same range.

gcubed

I just want a decent looking version of Droid Turbo (moto maxx), otherwise i'll go with the nexus 6.

Yea, they made a goat phone and ruined it with a few shots of ugly and capacitive buttons

That's what the N6 should have been

Trouble

Banned
Yea, they made a goat phone and ruined it with a few shots of ugly and capacitive buttons

That's what the N6 should have been

Seriously. Remove the capacitive buttons, add front facing speakers. Bam, best phone ever (so far).

Syntsui

Seriously. Remove the capacitive buttons, add front facing speakers. Bam, best phone ever (so far).

What's the problem with capacitive buttons? Aesthetics apart,the new Droid Maxx seems better than Nexus 6 in every conceivable way.

Trouble

Banned
So, has anyone ever done the micro to nano sim card cutting? Any suggestions?

You can't just get a new SIM from your carrier? It's pretty painless in my experience.

What's the problem with capacitive buttons? Aesthetics apart,the new Droid Maxx seems better than Nexus 6 in every conceivable way.

Android since 4.4 was really designed for on-screen navigation buttons, so they don't really add anything of value and they take up valuable bezel space.

Zoolader

So how much do you think with contract? I know a screen leaked that said $50 w/ 2 year contract but I'm thinking it's gonna be more like $299.

Top Bottom