• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

LogicStep

I just played around a bit with the demo unit at an att store and I love how huge that screen is. One thing I noticed, don't know if it was this demo unit or if they are all like this, but when I backed out of that promo thing the phone shows (all the marketing and specs for it) and went into apps like chrome or youtube, I didn't have a home button. In the bottom all that showed was the back arrow. And I wanted to ask, is it fine, did you get used to it fast, not having a physical home button? I fear that if an app crashes or hangs the phone I won't be able to do anything.

NotBacon

I just played around a bit with the demo unit at an att store and I love how huge that screen is. One thing I noticed, don't know if it was this demo unit or if they are all like this, but when I backed out of that promo thing the phone shows (all the marketing and specs for it) and went into apps like chrome or youtube, I didn't have a home button. In the bottom all that showed was the back arrow. And I wanted to ask, is it fine, did you get used to it fast, not having a physical home button? I fear that if an app crashes or hangs the phone I won't be able to do anything.

Software buttons > hardware buttons.
The triangle, circle, and square are software buttons and they work well, even if an app crashes. Apps can make them hide temporarily to go fullscreen, to exit fullscreen you swipe from the top or bottom to make the buttons show up. Sometimes only the back arrow will show if the phone is locked or it's in a weird state.

RedFyn

uDLsl6U.jpg

:( So close

LogicStep

Software buttons > hardware buttons.
The triangle, circle, and square are software buttons and they work well, even if an app crashes. Apps can make them hide temporarily to go fullscreen, to exit fullscreen you swipe from the top or bottom to make the buttons show up. Sometimes only the back arrow will show if the phone is locked or it's in a weird state.
I see, cool. Well after handling the phone yesterday I'm sold on it. I just need to find a store that has it in stock.

wtf? I thought it would run on this phone.

RedFyn

I see, cool. Well after handling the phone yesterday I'm sold on it. I just need to find a store that has it in stock.

wtf? I thought it would run on this phone.
This is the tablet version. It hasn't come out for phones yet.

Unless you know that and were just hoping it would work. In which case I'm right there with you.

I think it runs of you change your dpi setting, is that possible without root?
No. I'm assuming it's possible to change the requirement in the app (crack it) but I don't know.

Edit: Seems like its possible to change dpi settings with adb.

I don't know what neogafs policy on this sort of thing is. I'm assuming this kind of stuff is OK.

Nitsuj23

This is the tablet version. It hasn't come out for phones yet.

Unless you know that and were just hoping it would work. In which case I'm right there with you.

Just stinks because they say it'll run on "tablets" 6" and above. What's the difference between an Android "phone" that is 6" and an Android "tablet" that is 6"?

RedFyn

VxbJ557.jpg

Its really slow loading up but once in game, so far, its running smoothly

Edit: Found an apk with the fix but I don't know if I can link it

Yeah, it's funny sometimes when they limit apps... Had to install the Battlefield Commander app manually because of Tablet only restrictions.
So I switched to T-Mobile and bought the 6. It's gorgeous and the size is actually quite useful.

This is my first Android phone (used iOS for many years), and I have a couple questions:

Is there a way to remove any of the default apps? T-Mobile is rad and only included their data checker, without any bloatware, but I would still like to remove a lot of the Google Apps.

Also, is there an official podcast app?
Unlock the bootloader, get root and remove them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My white 32 has been out of stock the past three weeks. But today, it popped up for a few seconds. I got one :D

Elixtar

Is anyone else's power button loose or pivots up and down? The volume button is rock solid, but the power is definitely not.

I just googled it and saw a bunch of complaints about this for the Nexus 5, but nothing for the Nexus 6.

npa189

Anyone get 5.0.1 today? I swear its like winning the Google lottery. I wouldn't care about a stability update but I really need the random reboots to stop, that AT&T jingle is bound to go off at an inopportune time. Is software update just a placebo? It thinks for 5 seconds and then says "nah your good brah, now go away."

RedFyn

Is anyone else's power button loose or pivots up and down? The volume button is rock solid, but the power is definitely not.

I just googled it and saw a bunch of complaints about this for the Nexus 5, but nothing for the Nexus 6.
Yes but I don't notice it. My first response was no but then I tested it. I do notice the volume buttons looseness though.

Speaking of the power button, why haven't I heard anything about how awesome it feels. Am I really the only one that constantly rubs their thumb on it?

Milpool

Anyone get 5.0.1 today? I swear its like winning the Google lottery. I wouldn't care about a stability update but I really need the random reboots to stop, that AT&T jingle is bound to go off at an inopportune time. Is software update just a placebo? It thinks for 5 seconds and then says "nah your good brah, now go away."

I got 5.0.1 yesterday and had a random shutdown today, never had one before.

Elixtar

Yes but I don't notice it. My first response was no but then I tested it. I do notice the volume buttons looseness though.

Speaking of the power button, why haven't I heard anything about how awesome it feels. Am I really the only one that constantly rubs their thumb on it?

That's how I found out it was loose. And why it's bothering me. If I keep playing with it as I do, it will only get worse.

I called Moto and at first they said they will send me a new one and I can send this one back when I receive it. But when they noticed I had the white one they changed their tune and said I can either get a refund or a "non-new" replacement. #instockproblems

This thing is only 2 days old so I'm just going to buy a new one and get a refund.

The same way that Apple botched the 8.0 launch...except that Apple pushes patches in days, not months.

iOS7 is a more apt analogy. It was a complete visual overhaul, and it also introduced a similar big performance drop over iOS6. It took them over a month to issue the first patch, a few more weeks after that to do the second, and then 4 more months to finally get to 7.1, which had several fixes too.

It took Google 2 weeks to get to the first patch for Lollipop. Clearly, they still need more.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lots of people say this phone is slippery and that a skin is a good idea. Any thoughts? I hate cases. I always go naked but I don't want a slippery phone that I drop.

Jzero

Lots of people say this phone is slippery and that a skin is a good idea. Any thoughts? I hate cases. I always go naked but I don't want a slippery phone that I drop.

I agree. It's a slippery back like the red nexus 5. The dimple helps while holding it.

RedFyn

This is going to sound weird but for the first few days I hated how slippery it was however now it's not bad. It's slippery but I no longer find it anywhere as bad as before. I'm assuming I've just adjusted how I hold it but I really don't know. I'd say give it a week or so to see if you need a skin.

CronoShot

So my launch day order from T-Mobile came in today. I bought a 6 Plus earlier this week because I didn't want to wait, but now that I'm playing with this, I feel like I need to return the 6 Plus. The Nexus 6 is just glorious. The size complaints are also really overblown. It's just an average phablet size (same as a Galaxy Note or the 6 Plus).

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I still haven't gotten 5.0.1. But I got patches/updates last on my Nexus 5 too. Everyone else would have it, yet I would get it like 2 weeks later. Not sure what that is all about. Doesn't seem like I am missing out on much though.

Bboy AJ

My white 32 has been out of stock the past three weeks. But today, it popped up for a few seconds. I got one :D

I returned it and am going to get an international Nexus 6 instead. Unfortunately, it seems like no one has White ones available.

NotBacon

dbrand skins are really popular for the N6 because yes it can get slippery, especially if you sweat a lot randomly
I do :(

Personally I just got this. Super duper slim, and a very nice texture. Feels like sandstone.

Bboy AJ

Amazon.de has the MB 64gb version available. Still waiting for the Cloud White, though. European users, go get it!

Saturn also has the 64GB MB, too. I want a 32GB CW and I can't find it anywhere. It looks like I'll have to wait until 2015.

Finally got my sweet 64 gig version from T-Mobile last week.

This phone is massive. Still exploring a lot of the stuff in there, but no other bloatware as T-Mobile said. Happy with my purchase!

Reckoner

Saturn also has the 64GB MB, too. I want a 32GB CW and I can't find it anywhere. It looks like I'll have to wait until 2015.

Amazon.fr says that the Cloud White will be in stock on the 29th. I expect Amazon.de to be the same. Soon enough. Won't have it this year, though.

Bboy AJ

Amazon.fr says that the Cloud White will be in stock on the 29th. I expect Amazon.de to be the same. Soon enough. Won't have it this year, though.

Did you put in a preorder? If the 29th is a date for retailers, I will go to Saturn next Monday, then.

Bboy AJ

I ordered from both .fr and .de. Will complete the order from the one that has it first.

Smart. Please update the thread when you hear news. I'll do the same. I placed an order on .de a few days ago. Team 32GB Cloud White.

Goodlife

Yay, got mine thanks to my lovely wife :)

Are there any apps that take advantage of the massive screen?

Think I read Samsung do some funky stuff with the note?

Kathian

Banned
My white 64 is in the post so stock coming in for that now. Don't see it arriving before Christmas. Expected 27th.

Edit: coming today!

NotBacon

This thing takes pretty nice shots in the dark considering everyone was moving a lot. Everyone else's photos from this show were even grainier than this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my iPhone 6 touting friends are always jealous of the shots I get out of this thing.

Top Bottom