• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

npa189

AT&T here, no 5.0.1 for me. How on earth Google decides who gets OTAs is beyond me, a phone this rare and I don't get it? wtf.

clav

Lots

5+ hours SoT consistently. Includes Chrome, Reddit Sync, music, light gaming, and various other minor tasks.

Dat kool-aid.

Kool-aid is a double edge sword.

I'm still content with my Galaxy S3. However, updates and lack of supported LTE bands may force me to upgrade.

The Nexus 6 is compatible with nearly everything LTE.

Have you experienced any AMOLED burn-in?

Getting great battery life, to be honest. I'd say 5+ hours is totally reasonable.

Anyone been running on 5.0.1 yet? Might be placebo, but I swear things are snappier.

Definitely not placebo. The update was to fix bugs, plus improve stability and performance. It definitely has done that. The encryption is still a bobbleneck, but things lag less.

th3dude

Definitely not placebo. The update was to fix bugs, plus improve stability and performance. It definitely has done that. The encryption is still a bobbleneck, but things lag less.

Yea, opening apps lagged before, but I'm switching through apps with ease, now.

Assuming it's true, we should go back a few weeks to all the haters talking about how software updates couldn't fix anything :p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Wait what?!?

You should still get the loading circle, no?

Yeah, that's still there.

Before the update, when taking HDR+ pics, sometime the loading circle would stop and just...hang. You'd have to force close the camera app and start again.

th3dude

Been waiting to update dose this help bat life ?

Battery life has been very good for me so I'm not sure what there is to fix. That said, these types of updates usually have tweaks to performance, battery, etc.

Haven't seen official change notes yet though.

Enco

Tried to find this in the UK to play with it and not a single store had it. Vodafone, Three, O2, Carphone, EE.

Is the Necus a bomba here?

Tried to find this in the UK to play with it and not a single store had it. Vodafone, Three, O2, Carphone, EE.

Is the Necus a bomba here?

I just don't think there's enough stock to be advertising/showing it off in-store. The Carphone Warehouse pre-orders were only delivered on Monday, and some people are still waiting for their pre-orders.

NotBacon

I flashed the 5.0.1 image to my Nexus 6 and I'm still getting 5.0 version number and LRX21O for my build number in settings...

edit: just gonna reflash

Cryst

32 GB, both colors, back in stock on the Motorola store page, for now. Just picked one up after seeing it sold out on Play Store, Motorola, and AT&T for the past month.

clav

Still debating this phone vs. Galaxy Note 4.

Can't decide.

I might just wait until next year to see.

Why can't there be a phone with Galaxy Note 4 specs with front facing speakers + official updates?

NotBacon

Can't decide.

Why can't there be a phone with Galaxy Note 4 specs with front facing speakers + official updates?

The answer is literally: Do you want TouchWiz?

They are both speedy top of the line beast phones with great cameras and batteries.
Yeah the Note 4 might last an extra hour or take an
over-saturated
marginally better picture, but those things aren't noticeable in day to day usage when they're both already so great.

What you WILL notice is the software you interact with day in and day out.

So again, TouchWiz vs pure Lollipop. Take your pick.

Milpool

Does anyone use a custom sound for notifications?

Mine plays a random chime I've never heard before if I select any file other than the built in notifications. When choosing a default notification the custom sounds preview correctly, just not when I get an actual notification.

edit: fixed by using a cable instead of airdroid

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pretty annoyed I still can't buy a white 32. I wonder if I should just relax and wait for a sale.

Pete Rock

Pretty annoyed I still can't buy a white 32. I wonder if I should just relax and wait for a sale.
Yeah, I thought after waiting a few weeks post launch I would just be able to buy the damn thing whenever I want without having to jump through hoops. Love the note about them making the process easier by updating stock on the play store on Wednesdays. lol

I already have to do the dance to switch from VZW to T-Mo... just waiting to pull the trigger when everything will be seamless...

Jzero

The only thing i don't like about this phone is how long it takes to boot up. My Nexus 5 started up faster.

Ty4on

over-saturated
marginally better picture, but those things aren't noticeable in day to day usage when they're both already so great.

Don't forget the sharpening :p

Samsung phones take hilariously oversharpened pictures. Text is just a nasty mess of halos and it works on details that the NR has already removed resulting in the modern art you see in foilage. You can take raw shots with Nexus 6 (lcamera, requires some tinkering I think) and while noise is kinda high, it does feature ISO below 100 (40 is the lowest I've seen, possibly base) which could help give some clean shots.
The IQ you get (not counting composition etc.) from basic photography skills is way higher than the marginal differences between flagships smartphones.

kinggroin

Banned
Don't forget the sharpening :p

Samsung phones take hilariously oversharpened pictures. Text is just a nasty mess of halos and it works on details that the NR has already removed resulting in the modern art you see in foilage. You can take raw shots with Nexus 6 (lcamera, requires some tinkering I think) and while noise is kinda high, it does feature ISO below 100 (40 is the lowest I've seen, possibly base) which could help give some clean shots.
The IQ you get (not counting composition etc.) from basic photography skills is way higher than the marginal differences between flagships smartphones.

I love you so much.

And hate the love these fucked Samsung phones gets for their cameras. Over done noise reduction and over sharpening.

I feel like reviewers just look at the amoled display for reference and go wooooooow

Pete Rock

I searched the thread but did not see any mentions of a Wallet Case. Anyone have experience with one for the N6? If I am going to lug this thing around it is going to have to double as my identification & card holder. I have a few money clips so no need to stick a wad of cash in there.

Can't decide.

It's the replaceable battery and expandable SD memory that swayed me to the Note 4, personally.

Touchwiz is a big sticking point for a lot of people, but I just use the Nova Launcher on my Note 2 and I haven't noticed any issues with day-to-day use over the last two years. I'm sure stock Android is probably a little better, but not enough for me to give up the other hardware features I want for my phone.

BIGWORM

YiL9pN9.jpg

If you root, it'll only take maybe one or two apps to make your Note 4 look less and less like TW.

clav

If you root, it'll only take maybe one or two apps to make your Note 4 look less and less like TW.

What is with that font?

Also, can you hide the toggles in the same way that Lollipop does?

The answer is literally: Do you want TouchWiz?

They are both speedy top of the line beast phones with great cameras and batteries.
over-saturated

What you WILL notice is the software you interact with day in and day out.

So again, TouchWiz vs pure Lollipop. Take your pick.

Yes. No. I don't know.

I use a Galaxy S3, and I don't really have a huge problem with it aside from official updates. I just remember the times I had to manually install updates like you had to do recently for your Nexus 6.

I flashed the 5.0.1 image to my Nexus 6 and I'm still getting 5.0 version number and LRX21O for my build number in settings...

edit: just gonna reflash

Seems like some Android problems are universal. Had this same problem when going to Jellybean.

It's the replaceable battery and expandable SD memory that swayed me to the Note 4, personally.

Touchwiz is a big sticking point for a lot of people, but I just use the Nova Launcher on my Note 2 and I haven't noticed any issues with day-to-day use over the last two years. I'm sure stock Android is probably a little better, but not enough for me to give up the other hardware features I want for my phone.

The antenna design is pushing me to Nexus. I don't know why reviewers don't test out signal readings and look at antenna placement. Supposedly Band 26 readings are not so hot on the Note 4 when compared to the Nexus 6.

The battery on the Nexus 6 looks horrible to replace. Even worse than the Moto G which looks like a cakewalk after seeing the Nexus 6. 20+ something tiny screws and the whole PCB board falls out.

A lot of reviews just seem like advertisements now. No one really reviews the phone important features like call quality, speaker quality, and other things.

They just go down the spec sheet and show the phone close to the camera. Look there it is! 6 inch display. 6 inches.

I love you so much.

And hate the love these fucked Samsung phones gets for their cameras. Over done noise reduction and over sharpening.

I feel like reviewers just look at the amoled display for reference and go wooooooow

The Note 4 display does look better since Samsung wants to make its reputation. Motorola looks like they got shafted with the display contract.

I also don't understand the need for QHD panels. The phones people are now buying sport higher resolutions than the resolutions in HDTVs + computer monitors. Why do you need that resolution unless it's just to tout a feature that eats up more battery life?

NotBacon

Yes. No. I don't know.

I use a Galaxy S3, and I don't really have a huge problem with it aside from official updates. I just remember the times I had to manually install updates like you had to do recently for your Nexus 6.

Seems like some Android problems are universal. Had this same problem when going to Jellybean.

I didn't have to. I was just impatient and wanted to do a clean flash because I'm weird like that :p turns out the problem was a specific fastboot command. I ended up flashing each .img manually and it's smooth sailing now.

And yes the antenna is godly. At least compared to my GFs iPhone 6. Based Moto.

BIGWORM

What is with that font?

Also, can you hide the toggles in the same way that Lollipop does?

It's called personal preference. The font is Caviar Dreams. I believe the toggles can be hidden through a third party app like Wanam, but I haven't bothered doing that because I prefer them.

So for whatever reason my computer will not recognize my Nexus 6 as being attached when connected via USB. I mean, I can look at its content on my laptop or PC but as far as applying the 5.0.1 update, nothing works. I have the platform-tools folder, adb, using the right command but constantly says, "error:device not found" or something similar.

With Android Studio, I applied an update for Google USB (I assumed this was the driver I needed), phone is in USB debug mode, I give up and will just wait for the OTA update. Kind of sucks but I assume I'm missing something or am doing something wrong.

Sorry for constantly bitching, thanks for listening.

clav

So for whatever reason my computer will not recognize my Nexus 6 as being attached when connected via USB. I mean, I can look at its content on my laptop or PC but as far as applying the 5.0.1 update, nothing works. I have the platform-tools folder, adb, using the right command but constantly says, "error:device not found" or something similar.

With Android Studio, I applied an update for Google USB (I assumed this was the driver I needed), phone is in USB debug mode, I give up and will just wait for the OTA update. Kind of sucks but I assume I'm missing something or am doing something wrong.

Can't you just reflash to factory image of 5.0.1?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Oh. Right. You're trying to do that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Debug mode on?

Marco1

Really loving this phone and lollipop. ios8 pushed me off my iPhone, I hate the design of it that much. But I'm starting to understand why android gets so much love and hate. One thing I really like are the software buttons.
The six months of Google play are a great addition too.

npa189

Did they pull the 5.0.1 OTA on the Nexus 6? This is the one thing I hate about my switch to android this year. Why is google so fucking weird about software updates? Roll outs are bullshit. I still have random reboots.

kinggroin

Banned

Turn debug on and mtp USB off

So I switched to T-Mobile and bought the 6. It's gorgeous and the size is actually quite useful.

This is my first Android phone (used iOS for many years), and I have a couple questions:

Is there a way to remove any of the default apps? T-Mobile is rad and only included their data checker, without any bloatware, but I would still like to remove a lot of the Google Apps.

Also, is there an official podcast app?

So I switched to T-Mobile and bought the 6. It's gorgeous and the size is actually quite useful.

This is my first Android phone (used iOS for many years), and I have a couple questions:

Is there a way to remove any of the default apps? T-Mobile is rad and only included their data checker, without any bloatware, but I would still like to remove a lot of the Google Apps.

there's no official podcast app but check out pocket cast. Pony up for it because it's as good as it gets on android imo.

If you can uninstall an app you'll be able to do it in the application manager in the settings or through "my apps" on the playstore or whatever it's called these days. If it doesn't let you do it then ya can't.

Husker86

I have no idea why, but sometimes I have to change USB mode to 'Camera' instead of 'MTP' for it to recognize.

RedFyn

You can only disable them.

NotBacon

Relevant packages are up to date in the SDK Manager?
Device is driver is up to date? (Windows Device Manager > Nexus 6 > Update driver > pick Google usb driver folder in the SDK)

After that, and your plugged in, switch between MTP and camera mode (and/or vice versa). The switching triggers detection sometimes.

Milpool

So what's up with tones/notifications fading in/missing the start/popping at the start with the Nexus 6, and why is there no way to disable ascending ringtones?

Thanks all, finally got it to work.

Relevant packages are up to date in the SDK Manager?
Device is driver is up to date? (Windows Device Manager > Nexus 6 > Update driver > pick Google usb driver folder in the SDK)

After that, and your plugged in, switch between MTP and camera mode (and/or vice versa). The switching triggers detection sometimes.

This is what was wrong. I could not find the proper driver and now it works. Thanks again!

Top Bottom